Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/186/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Tops

Has anyone heard or tried this. It interests me since the only time I've had success in weight loss was when I did WW years ago before points with the exchange system.

Let me know any feedback!
flaglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #2  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

i've heard of it but never been. from what i hear you follow any diet plan you want and they are basically there for group support alot like ww's. but cheaper.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

There is no enforced eating or exercise plan with TOPS. You are free to do the exchange program (which, in my opinion, is out-of-date and not that nutritious), but you don't have to.

It is weight-loss support, and the focus is on "Taking Off Pounds Sensibly". So if you are on a very restricted diet, you may not find it very supportive. That said, nobody there has to know what plan you're following

They have separate categories for surgical weight loss, teens, pregnancy and maintenance.

It's about $30/year. Yes. Per YEAR. Plus your monthly chapter dues, which vary form chapter to chapter (mine is $5 per month) depending on the chapter's size, its activities and its venue.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #4  

The exchange plan is based on the Food Pyramid. I'm just curious, but why do you say it isn't nutritious? Personally, I think it needs a little more protein and a little less carbs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The exchange plan is based on the Food Pyramid. I'm just curious, but why do you say it isn't nutritious? Personally, I think it needs a little more protein and a little less carbs.
I don't understand why food exchange plans are seen as unbalanced, when they're ultimately "tweakable." Think an exchange plan needs more protein and less starch, then "exchange" some bread exchanges for protein exchanges. Think it needs more fats, less fats... then choose the exchanges you feel you need. If it needs perfecting in your opinion, then perfect it.

That's what I did. I chose a lower carb exchange plan that I found on the HillbillyHousewife website, but I wanted a bit more flexibility in the plan so that I could eat a bit more on days when I was hungrier (maybe during PMS days, or days I exercised more, or just to calorie cycle a bit). I really enjoyed the "flex exchanges" that WW had when it was an exchange plan, so I took the 1500 higher protein plan from the website and added 8 "flexible" exchanges (I could interchange dairy, protein, starch, or fruit exchanges because they're very similar in calorie count).

I try to choose the healthiest exchanges that I can (using guidelines I adapted from what I learned reading South Beach, Volumetrics, and several ancestor diet books like Paleolithic Prescription and Neanderthin).

Exchange plans can be as healthy as you make them.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

I have belonged to a Tops group since last Sept & am down 25.25# & even though it has been show, I am happy with that.

I did ww for a long time & pretty much still follow that plan, with a few modifications of my own. The members in our group do various plans, but I enjoy the meetings for support & accountability.

I would like to exchange tips & ideas if any of you are interested.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote