South Beach Diet - Hidden Sugar! Diet does not = SF!

View Full Version : Hidden Sugar! Diet does not = SF!

KO
03-23-2009, 02:06 PM
So I have an upset tum today which means no Ph 1 I went to the grocery to get PB and Wasa
(this way at least I get some protein)
I love orange Soda it's not something I usually Indulge in but it was in the checkout aisle & it was diet
Back at my desk I take a sip and leave it open to breathe (and debubble)
and I start Reading the Ingredients!
High Fructose Corn Syrup in diet soda! Ingredient #1
4 g of sugar per serving!
and to top it all off it was not good! so it's in the garbage
Grrr
Kierie

beachgal
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
What the :censored:? Why would they call it "diet" if it weren't SF?

Sorry about that, KO. :getwell:

Betsi
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I had almost the exact same experience last night! Discovered my favorite diet soda (Polar Raspberry-Lime) has apple juice in it. :(

Sorry you got sneak-attacked like that, I feel your pain. :hug:

KO
03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
it was Orange Crush
I guess if it does say SF it doesn't have to be

wish4fit
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I first noticed about 2 years ago that there were things listed as "diet" popping up with HFCS and sugar in them. You have to be so diligent reading labels it has just gotten ridiculous!

The funny thing about Orange Crush....my husband hates sweeteners of all kinds and can pick out even the tiniest drop of Nutrasweet/Splenda/Equal/etc. He bought a can of REGULAR Orange Crush last year and threw it out because he said it "tasted funny". I pulled it out of the trash to look at the label and saw that it had BOTH HFCS and aspartame! He was NOT pleased!

kaplods
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Diet definitely does not mean sugar-free, and sugar-free or no sugar added, does not mean diet or low calorie. Light, doesn't always mean lower calorie (it can even mean light in color, in some foods).

If you're not sensitive to sugars, 4 g of sugar is only 16 calories, so it definitely could fit well into a weight loss or maintenance plan, so "diet" isn't necessarily an unfair description. Usually I don't respond too severely to sugar at that low a level, but since there are so many good sugar free zero carb sodas, I would select those over one with cane sugar or HFCS. Sugars, even natural sugars in fruit can trigger intense carb cravings for me, but usually not at the 4 carb or less level. It all just means you've got to read labels carefully, educate yourself about ingedients and additives, pay attention to how they may affect you personally, and make informed decisions.

beerab
03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I remember once they rated all the soda's and Sunkist was the WORST one you could drink- I was like wow really I love that stuff. :(

rdw1
03-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I never liked orange soda, or orange juice really for that matter but my drink of choice is tropicana light orangeaid... I have been drinking it for several months now its my fav- non carbonated and sugar free... it does have 1g of sugar per serving and 5 calories... prob from the orange juice concentrate in it- but it can't be much for 5 calories!

willow650
03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
due to my first sugar test when I was pregnant with my first child, I cant even look at orange soda. That was 13yrs ago...lol

I found so really yummy turkey meatballs, I so careful with my sauce I cooked them in. I used organic salsa and palmers all fruit preserves only to read the that the turkey meatballs had HFCS in them. I was VERYupset to read this and have never bought their meatballs again.

rdw1
03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
thats soooo weird that meatballs would have sugar in them!!! Just goes to show that you have to read ALL labels!