WW Clubs and Groups - #212 Bale of Turtles Making Tracks!!!!

Itryharder
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren )

ladynredd
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
I'd like to thank everyone who talks about exercising; it's what motivated me yesterday to get out of my computer chair and do two miles with Leslie Sansone. My upper back muscles are a little stiff this morning because of the arm motions that she adds in during Mile 2 but that's the first soreness I've had. This makes 3 miles total for the week so far.

Yesterday was "mammo day" and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being. My last one was 10 years ago so I won't dread it as much next year. Maybe technology has improved. Or maybe there have been "texture changes" during that time so they squish easier!! :lol: That's probably it.

DH and I went out to Sizzler afterwards, where I had a big salad and the shrimp skewers and rice pilaf. Also had two cups of hot water with lemon after the meal, which certainly made it easier to get in all my water for the day. (Coffee is free with the meal, but they charge for tea! Now is that stupid or what!? The hot water was also free and very welcome as I was freezing. Next time I go there I need to remember to take a shawl.) Only ate about 1/4 of my potato along with a nibble or two of sour cream; I asked them to hold the butter. I knew we were going so I made sure I had enough points and while the shrimp did have more points than I thought they would, I still stayed under my limit. Would have been a different story, though, if I'd ordered the steak. DH doesn't like when I order steak in a restaurant as we have most of a freezer full of them but I say they taste different when someone else cooks them! I tend to do the same old thing with steaks; don't use marinades cuz DH likes to "taste the meat." Guess I need to figure out some way to distinguish his from mine so I can marinate mine or something.

When I came home I had the pleasure of opening a package that resulted from a swap I participated in of 3.5 inch light strips. Some will go immediately into the Green quilt I'm making for youngest son where I could use more variety in background fabrics. It uses lots of 3 inch (finished) 9 patches where there are 5 light fabrics and only 4 dark. I hadn't worked on it in a while and when I sat down to work on it again, I made the first batch of 9 patches in the "other" configuration. Luckily I realized my mistake before I made a hundred of them ...

And finally, a sad note ... we have had a pair of doves nesting in a terra cotta pot on our patio. They always lay two eggs. Last season three batches were successfully raised and left the nest but yesterday morning I got up and it was close to freezing and Mrs. Dove was not on the nest. Sure enough, both babies were dead. I know it's part of the natural cycle but I was really looking forward to seeing those little heads peeping over the edge of the pot. We're going to throw away all the old nesting material and hope for better results with the next batch.

Hope everyone makes it a stupendous day!

Donna

Itryharder
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow Donna, you're doing great! Keep up the good work. :strong:
Judy
234.6/212.8/210thinner into onederland :cool:

bandit2
03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi turtles:

Donna - nice to see you chiming in & good luck this week!

Last night I got in a 2 mile walk at centre with my neighbour then had a nice hot-tub & quick swim. Enjoyed my trout dinner and stayed away from snacks all night. Made a big salad with tuna for my lunch & have my w/i tomorrow.
So hoping to at least maintain & not gain this week.

Hope you all have great success at the scales!

Itryharder
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh Bandit, you're doing great. How was the trout? A two mile walk and hot tub and swim sounds oddly relaxing. Getting in good exercise and then relaxing in the tub/swim really sounds very healthy and comforting somehow. Call me crazy, but doing the right thing for yourself, especially with exercise, always sends me a "Go Me" kind of signal. I am thrilled you got to do this, and good luck at your WI tomorrow.
My WI is tomorrow and I'm worried. I've had a great week, recouped quite well from Sunday on, but tonight I ate salad and shrimp out with my dd and grandson and dh.
I'm hoping the salt, etc. will work out and I'll have a good WI tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Judy
234.6/212.8/210 and thinner into onederland :cool:

bandit2
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi turtles:

Judy - the trout was very good, nice change of menu.
Sending you "skinny" thoughts for tomorrow - good luck!

Have a great day, everyone!

Itryharder
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi Turtles,
Thanks for the :goodvibes: I lost .8# today at my WI. I am very happy to see the scale move down. The last three weeks' total weight loss is 3.8# and I'm very happy with that. My new short term goal is to make 210# Realistically I hope to make that in two weeks, but one week would be great. I have to remember not to rush this, to eat the points I need to eat, and to exercise. Just because I am finally ready to shed this weight doesn't mean that I can do this super fast.

Good luck to us all. Keep on keepin ' on. I'm heading for the :tread: after my dh goes to work tonight.
Memorial Day is just shy of 10 weeks away and I know I can keep on track and lose 10# by then. Wouldn't that be great? I'd be really close to onederland at that point.

:cp: :bravo: :strong: :tread: :dance: :carrot: for all of us. I see we're really trying hard. Let's do this!

Judy
234.6/212/210 and thinner into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Hooray, Judy, on that loss! Wow, only 10 weeks until Memorial Day, doesn't seem possible. It certainly would be great to be 10 pounds thinner, wouldn't it?

Bandit, I agree with Judy -- your walk and hot tub experience does sound relaxing. Hmmm. May need to do this myself.

Donna, you're doing great! That is sad about the doves; they do tend to reproduce earlier in the season than other birds, and I've always wondered how that first batch survives in the cold. Apparently they don't always.

Princess, yes, you and I must be on the same hormonal cycle -- having that bloat *after* TOM. In my case, it's because I'm getting ready for a SECOND TOM, which follows about a week after the first one ends. Just lovely.

But the scale does go down eventually. This is my week to lose well, which is always a nice pick-me-up. I'm only 2 pounds away from my next goal, which is very exciting. This is a big one, almost as good as getting into virgin fat territory. It'll mark my 100 pounds down from my heaviest, and officially put me in the "overweight" category instead of "obese"! Who would've thought it would be so great to say that one is just overweight??

On a more worrying note, my beloved pop, my stepdad, Howard, is in surgery right now to have a biopsy done on the lymph nodes in his chest. The doctor suspects lymphoma. My mother is naturally a wreck. I wish I could be with her; they live about 10 hours away. Prayers welcome.

Have a great day, turtles.

Onward and downward,

Lauren

Itryharder
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Lauren, prayers winging your way for your pop.
I am so pleased with your steady progress this year and I know it must be exasperating to do everything right and because of hormones hit a plateau or even a small gain, and yet you keep on going on doing the right thing. I must say we are a very brave group of women keepin' on keepin' on. :bravo: to all of us.
Love, Judy
234.6/212/210 thinner into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Judy. I must admit, though, it's easier to keep doing the right thing when it gets delivered to your house every week! :D

Pop came through the surgery fine; we're waiting now for results. Thanks for your prayers, Judy.

I'm wearing my size 14 jeans today, which is fun! And yes, I can breathe. And last night I took a walk, which really helped with the stress. I'm looking for good anxiety-reducers that don't involve food!

Itryharder
03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Turtles,
Hey, does anyone like to read to reduce stress? I have gotten into the habit of drinking tea while I read which is a lot better than eating or snacking while I read. In any case, I just read a book that I considered odd and charming and maybe one of you would like it. It's called The Little Giant of Aberdeen County. Big warning---it's strange, but well written and I found it insightful.

I'm having a great day. I'm making a game of using coupons for groceries and perusing the circular before I shop. I got so many good bargains today that I saved a31% off my grocery bill. Way to go, Me. :cheer: I had a cheeseburger/Boca burger on Arnold Thin Sandwich bread for dinner along with a huge helping of WW style cole slaw.
It was yummy and very low points, so if I'm hungry later I can have a good snack. Has anyone else found that eating yogurt helps you to stay fuller? It's so funny because at the time I'm eating a yogurt I feel famished and it goes down so fast, but later in the day I realize that I'm not as hungry as usual. Hmmmm, maybe it's just me.

Lauren, I know you get food delivered and there are so many good components about that----but I also know that none of this is easy and it was so wise of you to find something to help get you back on track. Weigh to go! :bravo: I'm glad your pop is out of surgery and hope these next days give you the news you're waiting for. God Bless.

Okay, I've gotta run. Everybody keep up the good work, be well and happy.
Judy
234.6/212/210thinner into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Judy, that's great about your saving all that money. I need to do more with coupons, too. And I agree about the yogurt; it does help me keep from getting hungry. I was having one every day for a while there. I've cut back on it lately, though; it was supplemental to my eating plan, and with my weight loss slowing down, I decided something had to go. I'll still eat it on some days, just not every day.

I also find that a very small handful of nuts does wonders in keeping me from getting hungry, too. It's remarkable how much just 14 or so almonds can do. When they're unsalted, I'm not tempted to overeat them.

Thanks for your kind words about my Pop. Sadly, my mom called yesterday to tell us he has lymphoma. :( Don't know what kind or what stage yet; they're meeting with their doctor next Tuesday for a referral to an oncologist. So thank you for your prayers and please don't stop. Their names are Howard and Bev.

bandit2
03-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Good afternoon, turtles:

Lauren - so sorry to hear about your dad, my thoughts & prayers are with you & your family at this time.

Nice to wear 14's - that must really make you feel terrific!

Judy - nice job this week, keep it going.

Princess - how you doing?

As for myself, I maintained (what Tops refers to as "turtled") and that sure is better than being up, so will take it for sure. We had our awards night & received a charm, ribbon, $15 & certificate for coming in 2nd in our division.
So was happy about that. I haven't done great in March with only a 2# drop overall, so my goal is to lose 5# in April & I think that is doable.

My gf is coming for dinner tonight & we are having stuffed pork tenderloin, rice & a big salad & of course, our wine. So that will be nice relaxing evening.

I walked 30 laps last night & 20 today so feel good about that.
13 laps = 1 mile

Anyway, have a great weekend!

Princess1122
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi guys, sorry that I have not been around as much... it is so busy at work that I just don't have time. Congrats, best wishes and prayers are sent to you all for what ever situtation you currently find yourselves... had to skim over everyone ones posts really quickly but it looks like there is a lot going on.

Will go to w/i and the meeting tomorrow but I am not expecting much this week as I am coming to the end of TOM.

Have a great weekend all!

ladynredd
03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
:carrot: Just got back from my weigh-in. Glad to report another 2.4 lbs. gone for a total so far of 6.2. Got my little 5-lb. star and enjoyed the lecture topic, which was how to handle eating out. Lots of good suggestions from the members.

Did some errands after the meeting -- grocery store, WalMart and the health food store. I was trying to find quinoah (a whole grain) which my store in Ohio carried but no one here seems to have it. I have a recipe for a tabbouleh salad that I wanted to try, but I guess I'll have to try it with brown rice instead. The point counts are similar.

I've been spending some time the last couple of days browsing through my old WW recipes and recipes from 3 Fat Chicks. Don't know if there's any interest in my posting them; do y'all share recipes? Or are you such old hands that it's unneeded?

My prayers continue for those with family members who are ill or in need. As someone already said, sometimes it's easier to have bad stuff happen to us than to have it happen to those we love.

Turtle On!

Princess1122
03-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Good morning all and happy Sunday! It is very cold here this morning with flurries predicted for this afternoon... ugh! But the coming weather is all part of spring so I will take it and not complain, well at least not a lot...LOL.

Went to W/I yesterday, could not stay for the meeting as we got there too late for one and way early for the next... had two dogs that had to go to the groomer at a certain time and I had a hair appointment very close following that so we just popped in to W/I... DH did really well, with out even trying again... grrrr, but I stayed the same and I was ok with that since I ALWAYS have a gain so to me that was a huge success. Went and had my hair done, she did hi-lights and low-lights, which is some light and some closer to my nature color which is dark brown. It looks more natural then with just the high lights and I was pretty happy with it.

Judy: You inspire me in so many positive ways! I love to coupon shop but rarely take the time but I did it a lot when I was off from work and it helps!

Donna: Well said and I agree, much easier to go thru crud then let a loved one do it. Yes! WE SURE DO LOVE TO SHARE RECIPES HERE! SHARE AWAY!

Lauren: Two TOMS... back to back!?!?!? UGH! I feel for you, sometimes I get mine really close together, most of the time it is 14 days from the start on one to the start of the next... but they are not as close as yours... good lord! It must be our age, not sure but I'll bet we are close in age and our bodies are doing those truly pesky things that we did not have to deal with not so long ago.

Bandit: I am doing pretty good, thanks for asking. How are you doing? I'll bet you are getting the same weather we are here or pretty close. Any plans for your yard/garden this year? A few of my new plants that I put in last year have not shown their heads yet while others have... still hoping that they come back, I have a ton of money invested in them. You are doing so great with your weight loss! A true inspiration to all of us here!

Princess

ladynredd
03-29-2009, 10:45 AM
This recipe originally came from the 300+ ... Recipes thread here on the 3 Fat Chicks site. And I have travelled in Africa and it tastes just like what I ate there!

African Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos

Ingredients

Cooking spray
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2+ tablespoons chunky peanut butter (use reduced sugar or natural)
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 can black beans, 15-oz, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Flour tortillas

Toppings
Salsa
Chopped green onions
Chopped fresh mint
Fat free sour cream or yogurt, if you like

1. Chop raw sweet potatoes into chunks. Put in an oven-safe dish or roasting pan, spray with cooking spray and roast in a 415 degree oven until soft (about 30 to 45 minutes). I added 1/2 of a chunked onion on the bottom, and cooked them uncovered for 15 minutes, and covered for the rest of the cooking time. After about 40 minutes, I turned off the oven and left them in there for another 1/2 hour until I was ready to use them.

ALTERNATIVELY: you can simply use canned sweet potatoes. If your sweet potatoes are canned in syrup, drain and rinse them before using. They'll be about 30-40 calories more per cup than un-syruped potatoes.

2. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked (or if you are using canned), sautée the onion in a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the garlic and sautée for another minute. Don't let the garlic burn.

3. Add black beans, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter to the skillet. Stir together and mash to the consistency you prefer. My sweet potatoes were well-cooked, so I ended up with a texture similar to that of refried beans.

4. Add cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat a few more minutes until heated through, stirring to ensure the mixture doesn't scorch.

5. Meanwhile, heat your favorite tortillas. Spoon a portion of the mixture into the center. Add salsa and whatever toppings you like (I think the mint is a must, but there is no need for cheese). Fold to enclose fillings and serve.

I get four servings at 4 pts. or 220 calories/serving for the sweet potato and black bean mixture - varying by the size of the potatoes. Total calories per serving would depend on the tortillas you use and whether or not you add sour cream. Really interesting: great texture, unique flavor - I think the spicy/sweet combination. Easy to make, and easy on the budget and mad crazy healthy.

bandit2
03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Morning, turtles:

Princess - yes I think our weather is pretty close most of the time. Yesterday, was a nice day & went into Toronto to visit my dd & finally seen her place & we had a nice lunch at local pub. Then just came home & watched marathon of Sex & the City so that was fun as well.

Today, it is cold & raining so will be an indoor day & later will get in walk/swim with my neighbour. I dont have to cook today since I have leftover pork tenderloin from Fri night.

Donna - thanks for the recipe & yes, we like to share favorites.

It was nice walking around a different neighbourhood yesterday - lots of big old houses & everyone was out raking & sitting at outdoor cafes.
We are so ready for the nice weather - it really has been a long cold winter.
Can't wait to get out there poking around the yard. My gf planted a bunch of things last fall in my front garden & they are all starting to show their little tops.

Anyway, time for another coffee & plan my day.

See you "lighter"

Princess1122
03-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi all and happy Monday to everyone, cool here today but the sun is out, supposed to rain most of the week though.

Eating is on track but I still need to make it a point to get on my treadmill a few times a week.

Have a great day!

Itryharder
03-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Guys,
It's been real busy here, but I hope to post tomorrow.
:bravo: to Donna for such a fabulous weight loss. Weigh to go!
:bravo: to Princess for staying the same with TOM in the mix--I'm sure that means you really lost weight.
Donna, love recipes==keep them coming.
Lauren, I'm praying for you and your family. God bless.
Bandit, I've been to Quebec and Montreal and love visiting in Canada. Glad you got to see your dd and that you had such a nice time.

I'm working hard on eating right. I finally had to succumb to eating salads since they are so filling. I'm also working in healthy fat and milk servings==holy moley==they use up soooo many points! Hence the salad. LOL. Okay--I'm serious I really have to run.
Take care, be well and send me :goodvibes: for my Terrible Tuesday tomorrow. I'm breaking the sabotaging habit I've had in the past of overeating on Tuesday and messing up my Wednesday WI, but it's slow going and I need your support.
Judy
234.6/212/210and thinner into onederland :cool:

ladynredd
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Having a quiet day here. Yesterday DH & I went out for dinner at The Outback where I made so-so food choices; didn't feel like their grilled selections so I had French Onion Soup and a half portion of fettucine with a chicken breast. Used up my day's allotment of points and a couple of my weekly points, too, which I have not been using. Then we went to see "Knowing" which I enjoyed but DH felt was "too dark and serious."

Judy, sending good vibes your way on your struggle with the self-sabotage. I can't tell you how many times I've sabotaged myself. Who needs enemies -- I'll do the job for them ...

Forced myself to do my two miles to my walking tape today. Absolutely did not "feel" like doing it, but I read something recently about the difference between being interested in losing weight, and being committed. I want to be committed and sometimes that means doing things I don't feel like doing, just because I know it needs to be done. Do it, get it over with, and feel virtuous for the rest of the day. :)

Trundle on, Turtles!

Princess1122
03-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi all and happy Tuesday! Hope all is well with everyone, I have been doing pretty good with my food so far this week. I did make a lasagna over the weekend for Sunday supper, tried to keep the points down to a dull roar but not sure I did a very good job. Need to get a walk in this week, not sure when but I will figure it out.

Take care everyone!

Judy: good luck tomorrow... for today just remember how good it will feel when you get on the scale tomorrow if you behave today!

Itryharder
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys!!!! Yes, I'm getting through Terrible Tuesday--if not with flying colors, at least okay. Take it easy, do well, have fun and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/212/210thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi all and happy Wednesday and I guess it is April Fools day also so beware of the pranksters!

Nothing new here to report but I wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing.

Judy: Good luck today!

Itryharder
04-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi Turtles,
At my WI I was up .4#. Not a nightmare gain, but since I'm trying so hard I hate to see any gain. I feel by tomorrow my weight will be lower since my home scale result was good. My #1 job today is to stay on track, not overeat my points, and keep on keepin' on. I got food shopping today so I have yogurt back in the house, plus I did other shopping and walked quite a bit. That has to be better than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

Okay, I'm sending :goodvibes: to all the Turtles. Bandit, I know your WI is soon so good luck!!!!

Donna, have you checked out Outback's website for healthy choices? Some of them are really good. I'm with you--sometimes looking at another piece of grilled chicken is just too much! I love Outback's smaller filet mignon and the baked potato. This week I got the potato with just chives and that wasn't bad!

Lauren, how are you doing? Sending :goodvibes: to you and your family.

Okay, gotta run but you're all on my mind. Let's think slimmer by Memorial Day!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210 thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Morning all and happy Thursday! Not much is happening here with me, the scale is not budging but that makes me try all the harder... really hoping for some kind of a loss at Saturday morning W/I

Judy: Not a bad W/I but I know what you mean. A loss no matter how small is alway better then a gain.

Princess

bandit2
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Morning turtles:

Judy - you will drop that gain in no time, keep up your good work!

Princess - hope your scale starts moving for you. Gets frustrating when you are working hard & nothing is happening. But, you know eventually you will show a nice drop.

Donna - nice job on getting in your walk & I agree with Judy about having chicken "again" - boy, I get my fill of that some weeks.

As for myself, I lost 1# at my w/i last night so was happy with that.
Slow, but steady seems to be working better for me than my history of
yo-yoing. THat really gets frustrating for sure. My gf is coming for dinner tonight & we are having crabcakes & baked sweet potatoe fries so looking forward to that.

HaVe a great day & everyone "drink some extra water"

Itryharder
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Turtles,
Hey Go Donna! walking exercise, especially when we don't feel like it is the weigh to go! Good for you--yes, I agree that stepping up our commitment to lose weight is the way to go. :bravo: Glad you've joined this group.

Princess, you had a really nice weight loss a bit ago and then TOM set in so I hope by Saturday you'll see a new weight loss. You're doing everything you can and you will lose weight.

Bandit, you keep on keepin' on. My goodness, you are doing great! :cp: :bravo: :cheer: I love that you're losing slow and steady because that's a loss you can work into your life. I'm working on that too.

Lauren, here's :goodvibes: Somehow I feel you're closing in on another goal. Is that the case? I am so glad you're here because of your great ideas.

Ariana and Chrily===just in case you're reading this I'm sending you :goodvibes:.

Today I'm going to write down the food I plan to eat since that has worked so well in the past. I'll make a list of the foods I want to have and cross them off as I make my way through the day. It's encouraging to see so many zero or low point foods that are available and that keeps my spirits up. Have a great day everyone!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
04-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Good morning everyone and happy friday! Well I decided to try a Zumba class again last night, my WW leader does classes at a very low cost and I thought I would try it. My last experience with it was not so great but I really liked it this time around and will go back again. At 5.00 a class it is hard to complain. I am also going to try Pilates again to see if it is something that I can still do with my back/neck problems. I signed up for one this Saturday so we will see how it goes.

Have a great day everyone!

Itryharder
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Princess, good luck with your exercise. Weigh to go. :strong:

I'm going to my book club/lunch out today. This is a "thin" group and they all eat salads, no bread, etc. so the eating isn't a challenge. I've got a busy weekend and then I'll be away for a couple of days. All that will be a challenge so I have to watch what I'm doing the whole time.

Have a great weekend, be well and happy and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/212.4/210 and thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
04-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Morning all and happy Saturday! Well I went to W/I and stayed for the meeting... my W/I was not what I had hoped... I stayed exactly the same... ugh! DH lost 5.4 with out even trying... Grrr. BUT at least it was not a gain... not sure what happened. Food has been good, I got a bit of exercise in but I did not lose. That is ok, I will keep at it and with a bit more exercise maybe something will click and my body will start to let the weight go... it sure seems to be holding it on to with a crazy stubborness.

Hope all is well with everyone... today it is supposed to be nice so when I get out of my pilates class I will be heading home to get some yard work done. Tomorrow it is supposed to be a totally different story with snow expected on Monday... ugh!

Have a great weekend all!

Itryharder
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Turtles.
Princess, that's mean! I have one suggestion and that is that in a week where the food is good and exercise is resumed, it often happens that WW's gain weight or stay the same. It seems that the exercise muscles get stretched or aggrevated, fluid rushes to that spot and stays there to help with healing. This is fluid that normally would have been excreted showing as a weight loss. I am betting that this is what happened to you. A steady exercise leads to less stressed muscles, the fluid goes away and a weight loss on the scale occurs. I often think of this when I resume exercise and sometimes it even holds me back from exercising which is completely dopey!
However, it's not fun to work hard and not see a weight loss. Here's to a really nice weight loss next week. You can do this!

I'm heading into the kitchen to make a WW friendly dip to bring with me to the birthday :hb: party today. I'll bring celery and carrot sticks and work hard to avoid potato chips. I know it sounds juvenile, but I love potato chips and keep them out of the house here.

Have a great weekend and be well and happy.
Judy
234.6/212.4/210/thinner into onederland :cooL:

ladynredd
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM
at my weigh-in today! :carrot: I'm hoping next week to hit my first 10-pound mark (with many, many more to go!) Hopefully that will encourage me to get that exercising done first thing in the morning!

Our leader is originally from Brooklyn and is Jewish. This week she shared a very funny story about an experience she had last Passover where she wasn't aware of the points count for the Passover wine (1 pt. for 1 oz.) and drank her entire day's points allowance just in wine alone! Shows even leaders/lifetime members are human and can make mistakes. I like how she makes her points with humor, and also that the meeting doesn't drag on and on. Even with my ample padding those metal folding chairs aren't real comfortable.

Had my follow-up ultrasound last week after my mammogram showed some "abnormality." Unfortunately the technician had all the personality of a dry stick and I left feeling more anxious than I walked in. Should have the results by Wednesday -- everyone cross their fingers, okay?

Hope everyone has a great weekend full of love and laughter and activities you enjoy!

Princess1122
04-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Morning all and happy Monday, we had a very rainy day yesterday! It just rained and rained then it got cold and we woke up to snow showers here this morning... I did pretty good on my eating over the weekend although I used a bunch of flex points yesterday, I made a pot of white chicken chili and it was so good that I went back for seconds...

Judy: I agree, and since it has happened that way before I guess I should have figured that it would again. Have a great time with your family and on your travels!

Donna: I pulled a zero too, two weeks in a row... ugh! Great story about your leader =)

Bandit: How are you doing? Did you have a good weekend?

bandit2
04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Morning, turtles:

Well, yesterday was a fabulous sunny day & today we have snow. Actually the drive to work was quite nasty & very slippy. Hope it clears before I leave for home.

My eating wasn't so great over the weekend. Had some pizza Sat night & a few extra snacks yesterday, so have to really be good this week. But I did get in 3 walks so that was good.

My dd came home late Sat night so spent Sun with her & made a nice roast beef dinner, since she doesn't eat enough red meat on her own.

ANyway, weekend was nice - got my taxes done, so that is out of the way.

Have a great day, everyone!

ladynredd
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm going to be having several family gatherings the next couple of weeks: My DH's birthday on Thursday, Easter at my mother-in-law's, and dinner at my youngest son's house the following week. My past behavior would be to shrug and use those gatherings as an excuse to start overeating NOW, but that's a behavior I want to change. So instead I'm going to try to be extra special "good," exercise at *least* four times this week and have those 35 weekly points available if they are needed.

DH's birthday dinner is at our house so at least I have control over what goes on the table. I'm planning on a spiral cut ham and a WW upsidedown German chocolate cake. DH absolutely loves mashed potatoes so they'll make an appearance, and a couple green vegies -- don't know what yet.

I've already done my two miles today with LS. Wore shoes for the first time. My feet felt heavy at first but by the end of the two miles I had adjusted. I'm going to have to get some more exercise socks, though -- I only found one pair! Where did all my other socks go?? Wouldn't it be great if I could lose the weight as easily as I lose my socks!! :D

ladynredd
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Thought someone else might enjoy this recipe too!

Upsidedown German Chocolate Cake

POINTS® value | 5
Servings | 16
Preparation Time | 25 min
Cooking Time | 40 min
Level of Difficulty | Moderate

1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
2 Tbsp light butter
3/4 cup water
2/3 cup unpacked brown sugar
3/4 cup packaged shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
5 large egg white(s)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
18 1/2 oz chocolate cake mix (German)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9- x 13-inch nonstick baking pan with cooking spray.

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter with water. Stir in brown sugar until smooth; pour evenly into baking pan. Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over melted sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high, beat egg whites for 30 seconds. Beat in buttermilk, sour cream and applesauce. Add cake mix and beat on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat for an additional 2 minutes; pour into pan.

Bake for 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack. Cut into 16 pieces and serve.

This recipe taken from the Weight Watchers website.

Itryharder
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Guys, I'm running out to Montauk Point. Okay, I'm driving out, but I want to thank Donna for nice cake recipe and I've got my fingers crossed for a good evaluation of your mammogram. :goodvibes: and :grouphug:
Judy

Itryharder
04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Everbody have a good week, do your best and keep on keepin' on. I've got a lot of challenges this week and I've got to stay focused.
Love, Judy
234.6/212.4/210/thinner into onederland :cool:

Princess1122
04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Morning all and happy Tuesday to everyone! Still cold here but at least the snow flurries have stopped. They are calling for a beautiful Easter weekend here, hope it stays that way since the weather here changes at the drop of a hat. Eating is good this week so far although I used a ton of flex points on Sunday. I am going to go to the Zumba class on Thursday but will be skipping the Pilates class on Saturday since we have family coming in for the holiday weekend.

Bandit: glad you made it to work with no major problems, it was the same way here for us but we only got flurries, nothing that stuck around for very long.

Donna: Thanks for the recipe! I printed it off, DH loves German Chocolate Cake! Good job on the exercising!

Judy: Have a great time on your travels!

ladynredd
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
This isn't a recipe, per se, but I thought I'd share this in case someone hasn't heard of it before. My DH calls it "monster salad." You'll need a large container with a lid, Tupperware-style. I make up a big batch of salad and put in everything EXCEPT wet ingredients like tomatoes. Leafy greens, a bunch of radishes, most of a head of celery (chopped), cucumbers, summer squash. Get all the chopping out of the way, once! Then you take two or three sheets of paper towel and fold it over the top of the ingredients and put on the lid. Then when you put it in your refrigerator, store it UPSIDE DOWN. The paper towels will need to be replaced when they feel damp, which is usually every 2 or 3 days. The salad will stay fresh, if it lasts that long, 10 or 12 days. Whenever you want a salad, all you have to do is grab a handful or two of the dry ingredients and add some tomato, dressing and croutons. Voila! I've noticed we eat a lot more salads when this is ready and waiting in the refrigerator. I'm much less likely to make a salad when I have to prepare the whole thing from scratch, especially in the evening when I'm tired.

bandit2
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Morning, turtles:

Donna - that is a good idea with the salad. Will definately try that & as you said sometimes you just don't feel like making salad from scratch everytime.

Princess - good luck with the Zumba class, that sounds like fun!

Judy - hope ou keeping focussed with all on your calender this week.

As for myself, I was up 1/4# last night at w/i so wasn't pleased with that.
Not a good thing right before a long weekend. So really have to be careful this week & make wise choices.

Hope you all have a great Easter weekend!

Princess1122
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Afternoon all! Not much new here, just getting ready for company and the holiday weekend. Not doing a whole lot this year for Easter but will have a meal and be with the family.

Bandit: So sorry to hear about the gain! UGH. I know how frustrating that can be.

Donna: Great idea! I need to try that.

Have to run!

Itryharder
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Turtles,
Donna, what a clever idea. I am going to give that salad a try!
Bandit, I'm sorry about your gain. It's tiny, so maybe it was just fluid. I hear you about the upcoming holiday.
Princess, it'll be nice to have your family together.
Easter is here this year. I just settled on my menu. Since I was out at the beach this week, I've got a lot to do tomorrow. I'll have to shop, drop off my car, and clean up the house. I can do it, especially when I realize none of it is a really big deal. Food was absolutely awful at the beach. I brought yogurt, etc. with me and *brought it all right back, uneaten*. That was not smart nor funny and I feel thousands of pounds heavier. I've got to figure out how to let frustrations with my darling grandchild (and he is darling) translate into something other than eating.
Well, this should be a nice weekend and I'm making a killer cake for Easter that will be worth all the points!
Gotta run. It's nice to be back and to read your posts.
Judy

Princess1122
04-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi all and happy Friday to everyone, nothing new to report here but I wanted to check in and wish everyone a happy Easter weekend.

Take care and stay on plan whenever possible!

ladynredd
04-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Had my WI today and the scale went in the wrong direction. :mad: I have a good idea what I did wrong -- slacked off on my water, didn't exercise enough, and indulged in ham a couple times too often. I'm hoping I don't stress out too much over Easter dinner tomorrow -- it's not at my house, so I don't have to cook the entire meal, but there are some of DH's family whose presence I don't particularly enjoy so I need to NOT use food as a stress-reliever.

On a positive note, my local library actually had a copy on their shelves of the "Beck Diet Solution" book which a number of members here on 3FC have been talking about. It uses cognitive therapy to teach you "how to think like a thin person." I've read the first couple chapters and am enjoying what I read, so hopefully I'll learn some good coping mechanisms.

Hope everyone has a good Easter/Passover and that we all put our knowledge and skills into action!

Princess1122
04-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Happy Saturday everyone! I went to W/I and was down 2.8 so I was very happy about that! We did out Easter supper today so it done and out of the way. I did undulge a bit but over all it was not too bad at all. Company has headed home and the house is cleaned up and quiet. I am tried and will call it a night early. It is just a beautiful day here today, cool but sunny and we are supposed to be like this tomorrow.

Donna: Hold tight and keep at it... you know what you did wrong so I would not worry about it too much. I am eager to hear what you have to say about that book that you are reading.

I have to run but will talk to everyone again soon!

Itryharder
04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Turtles,
Donna, I echo Princess. You'll be on the right track soon. The ham alone might have held lots of fluid. Keep on keepin' on.

Princess, so glad you stuck with it and had a great weight loss this week! :goodscale: Glad you had a good (and early) Easter so you can relax tomorrow before heading back to work. Good for you.

Tomorrow we'll be celebrating Easter here. I've got a good menu with a few treats and expect to be eating lots of yogurt on Monday when I'll be completely back on track.
Good luck to us all. Enjoy the holiday and family and keep on chiming in.
Judy

Princess1122
04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Morning all and happy Monday. Not much new here but I am glad that the holiday is over with, I did eat a few things that were not smart but it is over and done with now. I went and got a new quilt for my bed and some matching fabric and made up some new curtains for the bedroom. Worked on that yesterday and that was pretty much my whole day.

Have a great week everyone!

bandit2
04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Morning, turtles:

Hope everyone survived the holiday & back on track and raring to get on with things.

Donna - too bad about your gain, gets frustrating but keep at it & you will drop that in no time.

Princess - congrats of such a fabulous loss, that is really good!

Judy - hope you are staying focussed as much as possible.

As for myself, had nice holiday & didnt have too many extras over the weekend. Yesterday, was completely on track except for walking since centre closed early with the holiday. So, have to get back at that. Slacked off over the last week since it was too busy with all the kids over there.

So spring is a time for new beginnings, so lets all buckle down & really do
our very best!

Cherry, Ariana - hope you are all doing well.

Itryharder
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi Turtles,
Thanks to Bandit for a pep talk! It's what I need to get focused on what I want. Truth be told, things have been pretty tough here lately and I need to shake this off and get going.
:goodvibes: and :grouphug: to you all. You're the best.
Judy

ladynredd
04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Earned myself an Attagirl yesterday -- thought I was going to have to skip my exercise again but realized if I got my butt in gear that I could zip over to the pool and get it in that way. So I got in 30 minutes of "bicycle riding" in the pool and actually enjoyed it! :woohoo: Food was good all day, including a spur-of-the-moment decision to have dinner at Marie Calendar's where I had grilled chicken (and brought back half for chef's salad today) vegie of the day and rice pilaf. Felt nicely full but not overstuffed.

Sounds like all of us are getting back on track and our heads where they need to be. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a life program, not a diet program, and in the grand scheme of things the number on the scale doesn't really matter. If I keep doing what I need to do, day after day, I will reach my goal!

Princess1122
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday to everyone. Food has not been so great this week, I find that I am eating mindlessly again... ugh! Stress I guess but I need to find another avenue to vent that rather then running to the kitchen.

Great job Donna!

Judy: I totally understand where you are at right now... hope it gets better for you.

Bandit: Thanks for the pep talk, it came at the right time!

Itryharder
04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Donna, glad you are doing so great. :cp: :bravo:

Princess, we do this. It's okay. It doesn't feel good, but then we really push to do the right thing and we get ourselves back on track. Guaranteed I wasn't the only WW member who gained some weight at my meeting. I'm thinking on track and I've got food defrosting to have a good dinner. I'm sending you :goodvibes: that you'll have a breakthrough moment again soon and you'll break this sadness. I know what you mean about venting. I finally told my husband yesterday that I was depressed, and *saying* it helped. Attending my meeting helped too. I've got some family problems going on that I cannot, real absolutely cannot, do anything about. I have to figure out a way to get up and over it and not let it drag me down. The things I can do something about,----well I will.

So----for today I need to track my points, plan and prepare, drink my water, and exercise. How about everybody else?
To let you know, I was up 4.8# at my meeting. That's what overeating for a week and a half does to me. Some of it was fun eating, but most of it was punishing eating. Hey, I'm a nice person and I don't have to punish myself. Eating comfort foods wasn't all that comforting and didn't take away the feeling that I should cry it all out. You know what? People deal with health issues all the time. Right now that's not what is bugging me and I'm going to move on! We can do this.
Again, Donna, you go girl!
Lauren, how's things going for you? I hope your house is b ehaving better than before.
Bandit, thanks again for the good words.
Princess, I know you'll get on track!
Go Turtles! I'm not putting down my stats because right now they are too depressing. All I have to think about is onward and downward.
Judy

Itryharder
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
We're getting long, so I'll see you all at #213 Bale of Turtles Making the Journey
Judy