South Beach Diet - Tummy troubles :(

View Full Version : Tummy troubles :(

swandive81
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
So I was lucky enough to catch the stomach bug that's been going around (BF came home from work with it the other day, I knew I didn't stand a chance). Fortunately, I don't have it too rough, but I have ZERO appetite and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. I've been trying to eat a little bit here and there, and trying to stick with what my body feels like eating. I've stayed OP in terms of food choices, but obviously my menu doesn't really resemble anything balanced:

FRIDAY
brown rice
berries
Chinese soup broth
Almost no water (it made me queasy)

SATURDAY
whole wheat toast
roast beef and cheese roll-ups
Diet iced tea (better than water)

Any suggestions for how I might ease back into normal eating? Do whole grains tend to be tougher on the tummy than white bread?

Thanks!

Chelby29
03-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I'm sorry you are sick. How about yogurt or bananas? Hope you feel better soon!

zeffryn
03-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Is it a gastrointestinal thing? Diarrhea? If so, try the B.R.A.T. diet (bananas, rice (brown is fine), applesauce and toast (ww is fine)). It isn't super balanced, but honestly...anything that you get into your body and are able to keep down will benefit you. The theory behind the brat diet is it is made up of low fiber foods, thinking that foods that are higher in fiber will worsen the gastrointestinal problems and make the symptoms worse.

Try to avoid sugary (juice, etc.) and carbonated drinks. Tea and water are probably your best bets. Also, when you drink - take little sips. The bigger the sip you take, the better the chance that you won't keep it down. It will probably take you a half hour or more to drink a cup of water. Whenever I have an illness like this, I use one of my son's sippy cups (partly because I'm so woozy that I'll likely spill and second because it doesn't dispense the liquid very fast and I can just nurse it)

Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

swandive81
03-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice, all. feeling a bit better this morning...

beachgal
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Swandive, depending on how long you've been sick, you'll need to introduce bland things at first to heal your stomach. Try cottage cheese, oatmeal, bananas, etc. Hope you feel better soon! :hug:

jenne1017
03-24-2009, 02:27 AM
I am the QUEEN of GI issues here I think...I was off the Beach for almost 3 years, 2 of which were doctor recommended.

Honestly, anything not processed is harder on your intestines: because they have to do the work!I had started South Beach again 2 years ago and after 4 days, wound up in the hospital. SB did NOT cause it but exasperated the problem I apparently had-Ischemic colitis. I was off fresh fruits and veggies, fresh anything for almost a year and a half!

Nuts but it is what it is. If the problem persists, please see your doctor!