Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #1  
1200 cal or more

S/C/G: 201/175.6/164

Height: 5'7'' Age 29

Default Calories vs Calories from fat

I look at the calories on products I am going to eat, under it I see the calories from fat. Do I need to pay attention to that number for anything.
DeniseW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would definitely pay attention to it, just to make sure that the percent of calories from fat is not too high. For example, a hotdog can have most of its calories from fat.

Generally, a food is considered low-fat if 25% or less of the calories are from fat.

A calorie is a calorie, but it makes sense that you wouldn't want to eat many high-fat foods while trying to lose weight--simply because they are so calorie rich. You might find you use up your calories too quickly without getting enough nutrition.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-20-2009 at 02:57 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I don't pay attention to it at all, I only worry about actual calories. If anything, I try to make sure that I'm getting enough fat in my diet... given that I eat anywhere between 1,000 and 1,800 calories a day (depending on activity level that day), I have to be careful I don't skimp out too much on fat. We need a decent amount of it for healthy body and brain functions.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I pay attention to fat, but for me carbohydrate content (and kind) is more important. If I eat refined carbs, I tend to be so hungry I go off plan.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I"m prety particular about my calories. I really value each and every one of the precious suckers. I need to get the most volume from them. And fat simply doesn't provide that for me. That's because 1 gram of fat has 9 calories and protein and carbs each have only 4 calories per 1 gram. So in trying to S T R E T C H my calories, I naturally steer away from large quantities of fat.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

"Bang for the Buck," is a good way to think of calorie budgeting. Volume, nutrition and satiety are all important.

I used to limit fat to the barest minimum, about 1 to 2 exchanges (tsps daily) for the same reason rockinrobin noted. I've become a little more lax about healthy fats (nuts, healthy oils, avocado...) because I find that if I limit the carbohydrates (2 bread servings and 2 fruit servings are my minimum, and then I can use a few optional exchanges for more, if I want) that fats actually stave off hunger longer, so now I often do use at least one of my flexible exchanges for another healthy fat (so up to 6 tsp daily, all totalled, including nut servings).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #7  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I worry about fat, but I don't get too nuts over it. If something other than a 'fat' like mayo or reduced fat cheese or whatever is more than 50% fat I generally stay away.

You do need some fat, and you actually need some cholesterol. If you don't get enough good cholesterol it's as bad as having too much of the bad kind. Or so sayeth my doctor. I like to use Smart Balance Mayo (I also prefer the taste over regular mayo) and allow myself some avacado and eggs and such.

It's all about balance and just keeping it sane.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

for your health, especially your heart health, you're going to want to keep that number low. However, for weight loss, you could eat 100% calories from fat and still lose weight if you ate few enough calories (you wouldn't live long, though).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

It depends on what type of fat it is.

You don't want your fat to be too low. At first, when I was actively losing I naturally tended to go towards low-fat low-calorie foods, my fat averaged around 20% of my total calories. My skin also dried out, my hair started falling out in clumps and I was BEYOND moody. I did some research and decided to up my fat to 30% of my calories and these problems went away. Your body needs fat to function.

Now there is a difference between good fat and bad fat. You want to try and keep your saturated fat lower (10% of total calories max.) Good fats are Omega-3s (found in fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, and supplements), monounsaturated (avocados, olives, and olive oil) and polyunsaturated fats (vegetable oils and other nuts.)

Personally, I don't freak out if my fat is at 40% of my daily calories if it's mostly good fat. The traditional Mediterranean diet is relatively high in fat, but it is considered one of the healthiest ways you can eat. It is mostly good fats.

Fatty foods may be higher in calories, but they keep you satiated longer (like protein), so for me it's a toss up. This may not be the case for everyone though. So, you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.

The USDA recommends that 30% of your calories come from fat.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-20-2009 at 08:59 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yes, we definitely need *some* fat in our diet. We couldn't survive very well without it. But I am very choosy about which fats I will and will not eat (most of the time, that is ). If I'm going to "spend" my calories on fat, I want them to be good ones. Obviously ones which I love the taste of and ones that are most beneficial to my health. Which is why I eat salmon at least 2X a week, avocado at least once, a sprinkling of chopped almonds or walnuts in my salad a few times, a smidge of olive oil many days of the week, etc.

As far as most fats being more filling then low fat proteins or fiber - that's just not the case for me. Nothing fills me more then veggies. Protein comes a close second.

Here's part of an article that explains a bit why we need *some* fat and that without a doubt not all fats are created equal.

http://www.hdac.org/features/article...icleNumber=385
Fats in the Diet
-- Maggie [ print-friendly ]
Most people are confused about the issue of fat in their diet and it is no wonder. It is a well established fact that our bodies need fat to function properly. It is an energy source and is a nutrient used in the production of cell membranes. It helps to regulate blood pressure, heart rate, blood vessel constriction, blood clotting and the nervous system. It carries fat-soluble vitamins, A,D,E and K into our bodies from the food we eat. Without adequate fat in our diets, our hair and skin would be unhealthy and vital organs would be unprotected.

The food pyramid and the American Heart Association suggest that up to 35% of the calories we eat should come from fat. A major report from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies emphasized the importance of a balance of nutrients with 20% to 35% from fats. So, fats are good for us, right?

Well, not exactly. The food pyramid and the American Heart Association also advises us to limit the fats in our diet because it has been proven to clog arteries which causes heart disease and strokes and is a contributing factor in some cancers. It is a major cause of obesity. The calories in a unit of fat are twice the number of calories in the unit which are protein or carbohydrates.

If we go to a bookstore to try to unravel the paradoxical information that we have been given about fats, we will find an entire section dedicated to low fat diets and cookbooks and a section dedicated to high fat diets and cookbooks. The low fat diet supporters will tell us that to live a slim, healthy life, we must eliminate all or most of the fat that we eat. But at the same time, Atkins’ ''diet revolution,'' the high-protein, high-fat, extremely low carbohydrate diet has millions of devoted followers. What are we to believe?

We need to look at what a fat is. The first category of fat is the natural fat found in foods as they are produced by nature.

All fats are not created equal; some are essential for good health and others have a negative effect on our bodies. Naturally occurring fats are divided into three main types.

Saturated fats - (Bad fat) Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). Saturated fats are mainly found in animal products. Foods that contain a high proportion of saturated fat are butter and ghee, suet , tallow or lard, coconut or cottonseed oil, palm oil, dairy products (especially cream and cheese), meat and some prepared foods.

Polyunsaturated fats - (Good fat) Polyunsaturated fat can be found mostly in grain products, fish and seafood (herring, salmon, mackerel, halibut), soybeans, and fish oil. Omega 3 fatty acids, thought to be helpful in many areas including HD, belong to this group. Omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil, fish and seafood, lower the total amount of fat in the blood, which can lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of getting cardiovascular diseases. Omega-6 fatty acids in sunflower oil and safflower oil also reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Monounsaturated fats - (Good fat) Monounsaturated fats lower total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and increase the HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol). These fats are found in natural products like avocados, canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil or oil from other nuts, safflower oil, sesame oil, corn oil and sunflower oil. Olive oil is 75% monounsaturated fat and is one of the main components to the Mediterranean diet, which is thought to be one of the world’s healthiest diets, protecting against cardiovascular disease.

A second category of fat is a man made fat, trans fat, which may be either polyunsaturated or monounsaturated and is much in the news today as the worst possible fat that we can use. Yet, it is common at fast food outlets and in commercially prepared items such as cookies or packaged foods.

Trans fatty acids are under attack by savvy, health-aware consumers today. Before the facts about trans fats were known, saturated fats (like the fat in butter or cheese) were thought to be the worst type of fat. Saturated fat does raise the total cholesterol level, but trans fats also deplete good cholesterol (HDL) that actually protects us from heart disease. It is recommended that we only consume a trace amount of trans fat in our daily diet. Yet, it is in most commercially produced items at our grocery store.

Before the invention of trans fatty acids, we cooked food with lard, palm oil or butter or other saturated fat. But as we learned the health dangers of saturated fats, manufacturers started to use healthier vegetable oils in food productions. The liquid oils are not stable to heat and go rancid easily. They learned that adding hydrogen to the liquid oils enabled them to withstand the heat of food production and that they had a longer shelf life. As a result of hydrogenation, trans fatty acids were formed. Crisco first used the new man made fat commercially in 1911.

But more and more often now we are seeing labels which proclaim “Trans fat free” because of the demand of consumers. The Girl Scouts marked their 90th year in the cookie business by getting most of the artificial fat (which had been under attack) out of all varieties of their treats. And McDonald’s has agreed to go trans fat free, as well.

After closely scrutinizing data from scientific studies and reviews, many European countries have either banned hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils altogether or have instituted future dates for elimination of their use in foods. These government actions concerning the trans fatty acids is directly related to studies that link trans fatty acid consumption from processed foods to the development of diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My fat varies but I stay around 20%, at some points in time, my fat is around 10%. I never had an issue with dry skin or hair falling out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/190/150

Right now I'm focusing on just counting calories. Maybe in time I'll start looking at the fat & protein calories too. But I think that in general, just counting the total calories in guiding me to better choices than before, when I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted!
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
It depends on what type of fat it is.

You don't want your fat to be too low. At first, when I was actively losing I naturally tended to go towards low-fat low-calorie foods, my fat averaged around 20% of my total calories. My skin also dried out, my hair started falling out in clumps and I was BEYOND moody. I did some research and decided to up my fat to 30% of my calories and these problems went away. Your body needs fat to function.
Personally, I don't freak out if my fat is at 40% of my daily calories if it's mostly good fat. The traditional Mediterranean diet is relatively high in fat, but it is considered one of the healthiest ways you can eat. It is mostly good fats.

Fatty foods may be higher in calories, but they keep you satiated longer (like protein), so for me it's a toss up. This may not be the case for everyone though. So, you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Ditto.

I have some funky hair right now. I had been losing hair for a long time. I was getting that more masculine hairline with the thinning temples. Now that my hair is growing again (or perhaps just not falling out so much), I have this fringe of hair about one inch long around my hairline where it's coming back, that sticks out funny. Especially noticeable at the temple since the hair was pretty much gone there.

Now, my diet wasn't low fat when I was obese, but it didn't have good fats. It almost seems to be the omega-3s that have made the difference, but it's hard to say of course.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 03-21-2009 at 01:21 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #14  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Wow great thread. Robin your post was so informational and helpful. I was wondering about the different types of fat since I started counting calories so that was really helpful. Thanks!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Julie - maybe that is the difference. I've heard of people successfully following a low fat diet, as low as 5% of calories from fat and not having the 'lack of fat syndrome' issues but the difference is they are plant based fats/good fats. I was thinking this morning to myself that I should start using lotion on a regular basis or something but I never really have an issue with dry skin or hair falling out (wish some would fall out) but all my fats are plant based/good fats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote