General chatter - Handguns

View Full Version : Handguns

ddc
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi chickies,

Anyone have a handgun?
Do you carry it, concealed carry?
What kind do you have?
I've kind of been thinking about it lately and wondered if many other women carried one?

(I hope this topic isn't off limits--if so, just delete-thanks)

EDIT: I wanted to add, I don't want this to be a controversy-guns good/guns bad-just what kind do you have and do you carry it with you? Thanks.

bargoo
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Don't have one and don't want one. If you carry a loaded gun , you may use it. No thanks.

nelie
03-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, I can't think of any situation in which I would want to use a gun. I don't want to touch one.

mandalinn82
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I have done some short-range target practice with handguns, and can see having them for self-defense purposes in my home, well-locked, etc, but don't own one or see the need to own one at this point in my life. I like having basic experience with guns (knowing, for example, how to check if one is loaded, or to set the safety on), if only so if confronted with a weapon of unknown status I'd know how to approach it. I also like knowing the basics of shooting and aim. For me, that doesn't translate into ownership, at least not right now.

VermontMom
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
In this state, I could carry concealed or open carry if I wanted. Anyone can who is not a convicted felon. But I haven't felt the need to, it's a pretty safe environment. If I lived in an area where there was random violence, I might reconsider. But I would go through all safety training to be competent with one.

CountingDown
03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
While I would carry pepper spray, I would never consider carrying a gun of any kind.

Operator265
03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Since the person who posed a threat to me and my children finally died, I haven't owned one. My X has a couple, but neither of us has carried, open or concealed, but I would have had he been a present threat. We did, however, always bring one when traveling.

We had a peashooter, which is really useless except at closer range than I want any freak to get to me. We also had a 10mm with hollow points which is what we took when traveling. Problem is 10mm lost out to the 9mm so the bullets are really expensive, but, since they are hollow point you should only need one shot to do the job anyways(small hole going in, big hole going out). Fortunately, I've never had to find out.

Frankly, you'd be surprised how many women do carry. Also, according to my X, women are better shots than men--both target and skeet. Scared the crap outta him when he took me out with the 10mm for the first time and I did as well as I did. Women are also the largest growth segment of the NRA.

I live in a conceal carry state and wouldn't have any problem with getting a permit if I felt I needed to. But, since he wouldn't give me the 10mm in the divorce, I haven't felt the need. I would probably get a Browning 9mm should I decide I need one again. It's small enough for comfort, but, large enough that pulled out with confidence, would probably scare the problem away without firing.

Dawnslight
03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Although I do have my permit and own a gun I don't carry. The only time I do is back and forth to the range and it's been so long since I've been there that I haven't thought about it. However I do carry one for work when I'm out of my work building and in uniform. Seeing as for some people I'm practically a walking target.

willow650
03-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't have one, but I'm not opposed to it either. I shot lots of different guns as a kid, Shot guns, rifles, hand guns, had my own BB gun. I have thought about it since my husband is military and can be gone a lot and for when I ride my motorcycle alone but can I have a very bad, very quick temper and I don't trust myself with one.

Thighs Be Gone
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, we have them--a 38 and a 357 I think. We have them in a gun safe inside a nightstand. I can't be trusted carrying one--I get too pissed off in traffic! LOL.

eta--completely teasing..I rarely if ever, get mad in traffic..

Hyacinth
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I've shot them before, but never wanted one for safety or for hunting. I have never felt the need. I've always lived in safe enough neighborhoods, even though some have thought my one neighborhood wasn't all that safe.

sws19
03-17-2009, 11:18 PM
speaking of guns, check out your avatar! very impressive!!

crazycurls
03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
I have a Ruger .22. I don't carry it but it's kept in the house. I am really paranoid about being alone in the house. I live in a safe neighborhood, but ya never know. I also like to go target shooting with DH.

MonteCristo
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
I have a Glock, 9mm compact. I haven't got my CCP yet, so I don't carry it (except to and from the range ;) ). The Glock is a great gun, but a little bulky for everyday wear, so I'll probably get something smaller once I have my permit.

MindiV
03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't have one or carry one....but my husband's wanting to get one to keep at home, and I'd need to learn about it, and how to shoot it. I'm not opposed, but wouldn't want to carry it with me as I've got no need where I live.

ladywinter
03-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I have several handguns because my father is a firearms dealer. I enjoy target practice with them. I dont have my permit to carry as I have recently moved to another state and havent gotten it yet. I would rather know about guns than be afraid of them. They can be great stress relievers lol.

FrouFrou
03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
If I had a gun I would be in jail right now because of stupid drivers, lol!

nelie
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't think I'd feel safe with a gun in the house, I'd feel just the opposite. My stepfather has guns and it always made me nervous when I lived there. I figure they can always be turned against you. Plus I think if you have a gun, it is a definite possibility that you could take someone's life and that isn't something I would want.

Slashnl
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
We have lots of guns, mainly hunting rifles and shotguns, all safely locked in the gun safe. I also have a handgun, a .38 special. I LOVE to shoot it! I only use it for target practice, but while at home, it is in its very own locked case. I don't carry it.

Guns can be great for entertainment and if they are treated with respect, are very safe.

beerab
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I remember seeing on TV or something once that a lot of people have accidentally shot family members when they have a gun. They think it's a prowler coming in and lo and behold it's their husband coming in late or something.

I'm not opposed to guns- but I think carrying one around you is a bit much unless it's for your job or something. Like if you are a police officer or FBI agent or in some other high risk position.

I'd be too worried if I had children that they'd find the gun and kill themselves acccidentally or something. There so so many pros and cons to owning a gun- but I think if you feel you really need it and you can be responsible with it, such as locking it up, keeping bullets seperate from gun and in seperate areas, and so on, then I'd get one, but if you have some issues from fear then I suggest getting help from a therapist before considering a gun. I remember on some TV show this woman was paranoid of burglars so she bought a gun and one night almost killed her roommate because instead of addressing her fear she bought a gun- and then became a paranoid person with a gun! lol.

I agree that guns can be safe if they are treated with respect. :D

willow650
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Plus I think if you have a gun, it is a definite possibility that you could take someone's life and that isn't something I would want.

I would take someones life before I would let them take mine or my familys

Priscatip
03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I was raised with guns in the house, and was carefully trained from an early age to respect them. They were always kept locked away. Now, my older brother and my dad both have guns in their homes and have permits to carry. I think they only do that when they travel long distances. My dad asked me if I wanted one (a gun) for my home and if I wanted to go through the process to get a permit to carry. I decided against it. At this point in my life, there are too many drunk college students in and out of my house, and I'd worry any time someone came over, even if they were locked away. I mean, they found my diary once and it was locked up.

I'm certainly not afraid of them, and I'm glad my dad has one, makes me feel safer with him all alone in the country. Me personally, I have a big barky dog instead.

nelie
03-18-2009, 01:14 PM
I would take someones life before I would let them take mine or my familys

I also believe its a higher likelihood that someone would shoot first if they saw a gun rather than brandishing a gun (or other weapon) as a threat. Although, even if I felt my life was in danger, I wouldn't want to risk killing someone. (ie, I don't believe in killing in the name of self defense)

ddc
03-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Well, I was kind of looking for what kind of gun you carry, what caliber/style, etc. Where do you carry it? purse/holster, etc.
I always thought a .38 had a kick. I took a handgun safety class in college and I didn't want to shoot the .38 because of the recoil. We shot lots of .22's though. I was a pretty good shot and I have heard that before that women are better at hitting targets than men. I don't know if I'll get one or not. Thanks everyone for the input.

mandalinn82
03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Are you looking primarily for a personal defense weapon?

.22's are good for target shooting, and you're right, they don't have a lot of kick. They also, though, don't have a whole lot of "stopping power", meaning that in a personal defense situation, you're not necessarily going to stop an attacker with a shot frm a .22. And with arm muscles like that, you can probably handle the kick of a .38, particularly with practice.

mygritsconfessions
03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
My husband was a Navy Seal Sniper and has several guns, all locked and secured in our home. My daughter is a MA k-9 in the Navy and my son is going in the Army for Special Forces. They both have several guns, as does my daughter in law. We also have a k-9 German Shephard in the home. Much protection. I personally don't have a gun, but do want to get a handgun soon. Crime is climbing quickly in this economy. I used to work for OPD - Orlando Police Department and was shocked to know how much crime is NOT reported in towns and cities. You only hear about 6% of what is actually going on around you. It never hurts to be safe.

BoJo
03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a LTC (License to Carry), but if I open carry in PA I don't really need it. I have a .38 and the kick is not too bad. I like the .38 because I carry a small purse or like to put it in the front pocket of my jeans. I've only carried concealed a few times (hiking in the mountains alone, traveling to a rural cabin for a girls weekend with my friends, etc...) and I've never open carried.

My son has a .22 handgun and a rifle and a 'cowboy' pearl handle .22. He likes shooting those and the .38, but not my husband's handgun.

My husband is a Second Amendment activist and a founding member of paopencarry.org. He practices open carry on a daily basis and concealed carry often. He carries a .45 and normally my .38. He is licensed to carry in UT and PA. UT has reciprocity with most other states for concealed carry so he is covered.

If you have any questions about law, let me know, hubby can tell you.

Buttercup
03-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I have been around guns all of my life. We were taught young the proper respect and care of them. When I grew up I had a stalker and my husband bought me a Taures .38. I had a license and conceal permit for it. When I would go out he made sure it was in my fannypack ( made for guns). That was years ago. I still have the gun though rarely carry it. We do enjoy target shooting as do our kids.

LandonsBaby
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
We have a gun in the house but I do not have a hand gun. We keep talking about it and we've looked at one for me but I haven't gone through with it. Mostly nervous about one of us accidentally hurting ourselves while practicing.

willow650
03-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I was kind of looking for what kind of gun you carry, what caliber/style, etc. Where do you carry it? purse/holster, etc.
I always thought a .38 had a kick. I took a handgun safety class in college and I didn't want to shoot the .38 because of the recoil. We shot lots of .22's though. I was a pretty good shot and I have heard that before that women are better at hitting targets than men. I don't know if I'll get one or not. Thanks everyone for the input.

I have a friend that always carries, I'm trying to remember what it is she uses. i know her husband bought her holster the slips down the back of the pant, she informed him that with the lower rise jeans she wears and dress pants/ skirts, that that wasn't very practical...lol so probably in her purse.

flatiron
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Although, even if I felt my life was in danger, I wouldn't want to risk killing someone. (ie, I don't believe in killing in the name of self defense)

Nelie what about if someone was about to take the life of one of your loved ones?

But anyways I am a card carrying NRA member and own lots of guns and have had my concealed carry permit over 15 years I have to say that the LAST thing I would ever want to do is take someone's life.... BUT

... if someone was trying to take my life or a member of my family's life I would take theirs without hesitation. My life and my family's life is too precious to me to let someone take it because they wanted something of mine.

And to those who say to just give the criminal what they want I say so you give them what they want then you just "hope" they spare your life? It's too big a gamble for me.

I have never had to pull a gun on anyone but my Dad had a saying he used to say all the time. "I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it"

I don't normally carry one with me but I like the idea IF I wanted to I could if I wanted. I am glad I live in a gun friendly state.

The mistake that many people make is that they think because the neighborhood they live in is quiet and safe that a violent crime is not possible.
Violent crime can (and does) happen anywhere and anytime.

Luckily I have never had any trouble but if it happens I am prepared.

I will say this if you are afraid of guns or have no training then owning a gun is NOT a good idea untill you get training or some experience handling.

I grew up around guns and was taught to respect them. My Dad didn't even lock them up. I just KNEW if I touched his deer hunting rifle or shotgun I was DEAD MEAT! LOL!

flatiron
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM

If a .38 has too much kick maybe you were using a +P load (extra gunpowder). You can get different powered charges for bullets. The lower the grain the less kick.

You could also move down one the scale a little and get a 9mm or a .32 caliber

You have to decide if you want a semiautomatci or a revolver. A revorver is easier to use and maintain and will NEVER jam like a semiauto will from time to time. If you are going to carry for protection then you should get a revolver. You can get the super light weight ones like the Scantium or Airweights and they are so light you can carry them easily in a purse.

I don't know about women are better shots or not but my little sister is a gun nut and has a whole closet full of them and she is a deadeye shot buther and her BF go to the range a lot!

I don't go that much it costs a LOT to go shooting. Costs me $20.00 for a box of .45's (thats what I use) and you only get 50 shots in a box and I can go through those in 15 minutes! Gets expensive when you count the range fee.

The cheapest is if you know someone with a lot of land then you can shoot for free.

If you are going to get a gun or a permit you better do it quick because the anti gunners are in control now. Also guns sales are through the roof right now and guns COSt more too because people are in a rush to buy because of the suspected gun bans that will be coming down soon!.

nelie
03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Nelie what about if someone was about to take the life of one of your loved ones?

If someone was going to take the life of myself or a loved one, I don't think having a gun would prevent that. I would think that brandishing a gun in a dangerous situation would probably elevate that situation and the other party would probably be more likely to hurt myself or loved one.

Of course, I would want to protect my family as best as possible but I don't think that means a gun.

And gun accidents do happen, even with those that are trained. If there was a .00001% chance of someone 'innocent' unintentionally getting hurt by a gun I owned, that to me is too much risk.

paniania
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
My husband and I at the moment have only one handgun - a .357 Magnum, which is nice because that gives you the option to also use .38 Special shells in it. We are going to add a Glock 9mm to our collection and eventually some other more heavy duty guns. We don't by any means live in a "bad" area, we just feel that it's better to be safe than sorry.

I know this gun was mentioned in this thread several times as having some kick to it, but honestly, I'm pretty petite and I had no problem with it. If you're thinking of getting a gun for protection the .357 Magnum/.38 Special is universally known as being a "manstopper."

As long as you educate yourself (and your loved ones) about it and respect the firearm you (and your loved ones) should be quite safe.

willow650
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM

But anyways I am a card carrying NRA member and own lots of guns and have had my concealed carry permit over 15 years I have to say that the LAST thing I would ever want to do is take someone's life.... BUT

... if someone was trying to take my life or a member of my family's life I would take theirs without hesitation. My life and my family's life is too precious to me to let someone take it because they wanted something of mine.

And to those who say to just give the criminal what they want I say so you give them what they want then you just "hope" they spare your life? It's too big a gamble for me.

I have never had to pull a gun on anyone but my Dad had a saying he used to say all the time. "I would rather have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it"

I don't normally carry one with me but I like the idea IF I wanted to I could if I wanted. I am glad I live in a gun friendly state.

The mistake that many people make is that they think because the neighborhood they live in is quiet and safe that a violent crime is not possible.
Violent crime can (and does) happen anywhere and anytime.

Luckily I have never had any trouble but if it happens I am prepared.

I will say this if you are afraid of guns or have no training then owning a gun is NOT a good idea untill you get training or some experience handling.

I grew up around guns and was taught to respect them. My Dad didn't even lock them up. I just KNEW if I touched his deer hunting rifle or shotgun I was DEAD MEAT! LOL!

AMEN!!!

it sounds like we had the same father...LOL my dads guns always hung on the wall with a gun rack. they were most likely loaded, we knew no to go near them without him. Any time we wanted to target practice he got them out, its always lots of fun.

willow650
03-19-2009, 06:08 PM
If someone was going to take the life of myself or a loved one, I don't think having a gun would prevent that. I would think that brandishing a gun in a dangerous situation would probably elevate that situation .

This is why, I would flat out SHOOT THEM. not show and threaten and hope the run away. I truly pray you are never in a situation were you have to find out what you should've done that could have protected your self or your family.

mandalinn82
03-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Just a reminder: Gun ownership is a personal decision, and we need to be respectful in this thread of the fact that there are different opinions on this matter. No one of us can know for certain whether or not owning a gun might make a difference in a personal defense situation, or even whether such a situation will ever come up.

Please be respectful of the choices others make, even if you personally believe that they should make a different one.

nelie
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
This is why, I would flat out SHOOT THEM. not show and threaten and hope the run away. I truly pray you are never in a situation were you have to find out what you should've done that could have protected your self or your family.

Well my point was that if they saw a gun (not you threatening with a gun), then that would elevate the situation. Basically, you are then in a shootout with someone. Not a situation I'd want to be in.

Of course, what if they don't have a gun and are an intruder? What if it is the 16 year old kid down the street who is being stupid? What if it is your own child in someone elses house for some stupid reason?

There are tons of hypotheticals and I feel safer without a gun based on all of them. Also, as I said previously, if you have a gun, you have to be willing to accept the fact that it could be used to kill someone some day and that isn't something I could accept.

junebug41
03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
After having a childhood friend shot and killed when he and his friend were "just messing around" with his parent's guns (again, a kid who had been "taught to respect them") at the age of 12 and then having a family member shot and killed over a trivial argument, I believe one should know how to hold one, but they are not allowed in my home.

Nope, too much pain.

flatiron
03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
my father is a firearms dealer.

OMG I would be in heaven! LOL! I'd have one of EVERYTHING! LOL!

flatiron
03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Just a reminder: Gun ownership is a personal decision, and we need to be respectful in this thread of the fact that there are different opinions on this matter. No one of us can know for certain whether or not owning a gun might make a difference in a personal defense situation, or even whether such a situation will ever come up.

Please be respectful of the choices others make, even if you personally believe that they should make a different one.

Yes it is definitely a personal choice. And pro/anti gun talk can get pretty heated pretty fast just like all the hot button issues like abortion, religion and politics. I don't like to get into in most of the time because people just believe what they want and no one hardly ever convinces anyone to change their minds. LOL!

I don't have a problem if someone wants to be a pacifist and turn the other cheek and I also don't have a problem with anyone who wants nothing to do with a gun. If someone is afraid of a gun I don't want them messing with one either especially if they are near me.

Where I DO have a problem is when someone doesn't want a gun and they don't want me to have one either. THEN we gotta problem! :D

flatiron
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Well my point was that if they saw a gun (not you threatening with a gun), then that would elevate the situation. Basically, you are then in a shootout with someone. Not a situation I'd want to be in.

Nelie you are assuming the criminal is going to have a streak of humanity and let you live if you are passive enough. But unfortunately in many cases this is not the case. If you kill the victim there is no witness.

But I respect your decision. If you don't feel safe with a gun then you don't need one. And I too sincerely hope you never are in a situation that would be life threatening.

Beside I have read many times the NUMBER ONE deterrent for a mugger, burglar or home invasion is a barking dog. Dogs are a heck of a lot more fun than a gun! :D

nelie
03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Nelie you are assuming the criminal is going to have a streak of humanity and let you live if you are passive enough. But unfortunately in many cases this is not the case. If you kill the victim there is no witness.

But I respect your decision. If you don't feel safe with a gun then you don't need one. And I too sincerely hope you never are in a situation that would be life threatening.

Beside I have read many times the NUMBER ONE deterrent for a mugger, burglar or home invasion is a barking dog. Dogs are a heck of a lot more fun than a gun! :D

I'm more assuming that if I suspect an intruder, a phone would be more effective. And I have been in a life threatening situation (or at least one where someone meant me bodily harm) before and it is scary. I've also had a burglar enter our house when I was young. And I've also lived in 'dangerous' neighborhoods. So its not that I view the world as peachy and entirely safe.

I also do have a dog that loves people but is very protective of her house and even people she knows. It is strange, she'd kiss someone to death but if they come near her house, beware, she is going to make a lot of noise. Our other dog though will bark at anyone who comes to play with him.

flatiron
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm more assuming that if I suspect an intruder, a phone would be more effective. .

What IF they cut your phone line on the outside? :D

<added 5 minutes later!>

DUHHHHH I forgot about cell phones! LOL!

nelie
03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah we keep a cell phone with us when we sleep.

flatiron
03-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Yeah we keep a cell phone with us when we sleep.

wow Nelie with 162 lbs lost you probably can out run ANY bad guy! :D