Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 01:36 AM   #1  

Default Anthony Robbins - ultra greens with MSM - Good or Bad?

I wanted to find out if anyone has tried the Anthony Robbins line of inner balance products?

I am waiting on the arrival of my Pure Energy and Ultra Greens with MSM. I did do my homework prior to ordering. First off I know these are not miracle products nor for losing weight. They are simply supposed to give you a boost of energy and assist in balancing your acid and akeline in your system, along with nourishing your cells etc.. They are all natural, I did request an ingredient list prior to ordering - everything was a plant or a root of a plant that I have heard of. I was also assured they were safe for pregnant or nursing women (I am neither but this is always my test prior to purchasing pills, supplements etc... I figure if you can take them when you're pregnant they must be somewhat safe.)

Because I am morbidly obese I have been very cautious - I will not take anything with Mahung or Ephedra (sp) - I am scared that I would have a stroke or heart attack. I am working on my weight using a balanced diet (RS) but wanted to try these products in conjunction with my diet and excercise.

Has anyone tried them or know of them and if so what are your thoughts? Do you feel any better?

Any input is appreciated - thanks!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:02 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Just because something's natural...

doesn't necessarily mean it's good for you...opium is natural too, right?

I checked Supplement Watch and here's what they have to say about MSM:
Quote:
Description Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a metabolite of dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO). DMSO is a well-known solvent which is often used topically for its analgesic (pain-killing) and anti-inflammatory properties. The role of MSM as a dietary supplement is as a sulfur donor.

Claims: Relief of arthritis pain and stiffness
Increases growth hormone synthesis
Stimulation of immune function
Support of connective tissue integrity (hair, nails, skin)

Theory: MSM, which is about one-third sulfur, acts as a dietary source of sulfur. Sulfur is involved in a wide variety of metabolic pathways and plays an important structural role in amino acid and protein metabolism. Sulfur is required for proper synthesis and maintenance of connective tissues such as skin, hair, nails, tendons and cartilage. Many supplements claim MSM to be a dietary treatment for osteoarthritis based on the presence of sulfur in connective tissues such as collagen (collagen comprises nearly three quarters of the solid portion of cartilage).

Scientific Support: Despite the wide range of anecdotal reports of MSM effectiveness, there is little compelling scientific evidence supporting such claims – particularly for osteoarthritis. Several small animal studies have suggested that MSM may play a role in resistance to stress and stimulation of immune system responses. Doses in the range of 1-5mg/kg/d (approximately 70-350mg for an average-sized man) over a period of 2-4 weeks appear to stimulate synthesis of immunoglobulins (in mice and chickens). In horses, larger doses (2.5-10 grams per day) have been associated with improvements in hoof quality.

Safety: The best news about MSM is that it can be considered very safe (though not very effective) when used as a dietary supplement. In rats and dogs, toxic effects are reported only for extremely high doses – which would correspond to well over 200 grams per day for an average-sized man (about 8 ounces of the stuff!).

Value: As a dietary sulfur source (its only valid benefit) MSM would appear to be an overpriced supplement option. There are a number of other less expensive, yet equally effective dietary sources of sulfur, including eggs, meat and fish – as well as sulfur containing amino acids such as methionine and cystine/cysteine. Large doses of methionine, however, should also be accompanied by supplemental levels of key B vitamins such as folic acid, B6 and B12 – which are known to reduce homocysteine levels (homocysteine is a metabolite of methionine and high levels have been associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular disease).

Dosage: Typical dosage recommendations range from 2-5 grams per day as a beginning or "loading" dose to about 50-200mg per day for maintenance. Due to the lack of strong scientific efficacy, however, MSM is not recommended as a particularly effective dietary supplement for joint health.
There's an interesting article on Quackwatch that you can find here: http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/DSH/msm.html

Basically it looks like a waste of money (one question I'm dying to ask - how did Anthony Robbins - a motivation speaker - suddenly become an 'expert' on supplements??).
Old 05-31-2002, 10:57 AM   #3  

Thumbs down It's a Miracle Drug!!! Just Kidding

Thanks for the info it was very helpful. I was not expecting a miracle or assistance in weight loss - been around that block too many times and know better. I was looking more towards replacing large amount of veggies (can't down alot of them) and to just feel a little better. I know the best source for veggies to actually eat them - but never seem to get many in by the end of the day.

Have you heard anything on the Ultra Greens? Do you know of something else that would acheive the same results (supplements or something?) I am new to these type of products - everything I have ever tried in the past has been strictly for weight loss.

Or, do you know any good books where I can learn more about vitamins and supplements? Let me tell you it is VERY scary walking into a GNC or even the grocery store with shelves upon shelves of vitamins etc... What do you need, what are they for - it is soo intimidating. I won't go near a health food store because they see me coming a mile away and can tell me anything and I will believe it.

Currently I am losing weight slowly on a balanced diet and was looking for a little edge in feeling better.

I agree with you on Tony's breakthrough into the supplement market - but have not seen anything similar to this - I am sure if I look harder there are many peddling their goods.

Thanks again and any additional input would be appreciated. I have read and learned soo much from your postings over the past few months.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:15 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Here's what the website claims about this product:
Quote:
'Pure Energy: Ultra Greens' is a unique food formulation of sprouted grains, organically grown grasses, fibrous herbs, and green (chlorophyll enriched) vegetables. MethylSulfonylMethane (MSM) contains sulfur, an essential mineral of your body's chemistry. 'Pure Energy: Ultra Greens' is extremely rich in alkaline-forming properties that help return blood and tissue to a naturally healthy state. It can be used as a food during cleansing periods
Dontcha think that just eating your veggies would serve the same purpose - if not be better for you? Not to mention a lot less pricey. Think about it - how much of this formula would you need to consume to get the equivalant of, say, a serving of broccoli? and what about the fiber??

IMO it's always BEST to eat the actual veggie or fruit rather than take some pill that claims to have all the same stuff. Remember, it's processed within an inch of its life - most of the good natural stuff is gone.

As far as references - I'd recommend www.supplementwatch.com and www.quackwatch.com as places to check, but basically if something sounds too good to be true, it generally is - especially when it comes to supplements - since the manufacturers can basically make whatever claims they wish without having to worry about the FDA.
Old 06-30-2002, 05:30 PM   #5  

Default what about??

would drinking V8 be easier for you than eating veggies?? I like most veggies myself & like them raw, but I also like to blanch broccoli & cauliflower for just a few minutes & then dip them in nonfat or lowfat vanilla yogurt. just a suggestion! also veggie soup w/a can of tomatoes thrown in is delicious & a great way to eat veggies also!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 PM   #6  
JEC
Aussie and proud

When you peal and puree vegetables you are altering the fibre content in them. Also a lot of canned vegetables have very high sodium levels.

Anything that has been processed from it's raw state is less healthier than when it was raw.

JC
Closed Thread