Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #1  
My reward...

S/C/G: 272/270/220

Height: 6'3"

Default Military Moms

Is there a support group for military moms? My son recently joined the Army and I can already see where fear will sabatoge my weight loss goals. I volunteer at a local military hospital, so there is no ignoring what could happen to soldiers considered to be in "safe jobs". I'm very, very proud of him - but my chocolate addiction is already screaming at me and he hasn't even been deployed yet.
TryinAgain5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #2  

Hi,
I don't know if there is a support group for Military Moms, but ther is a lot of support for the Military here, and a lot of Military Wives. I'm a Military Mom, My son is stationed at Gitmo, and won't be home until the end of september.
I'm getting through it by telling myself that I'm going to suprise him when he gets back by being a new healthier Mom. You might also want to check out some of the challenges. I've been doing the Biggest Loser challenges in the Exercise section and have found a lot of support there too, the current challenges are about half way through but there will be some others soon. Also there are several military families on that board. I'll keep checking back here, and maybe we can get a few more Moms for support.
Bette K
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #3  

I am not a military mom, but had a husband serve in the Navy for 20 years. The daily fear is real, that's for sure and that doesn't help someone who want to lose weight.

As a person whose husband was in the thick of things (he was in port when the Marine barracks in Hyfah blew up, his ship had planes shot down by Quadafi, they went to clean up the mess with Idi Amin, etc,) not a day goes by when they are away from you that you don't miss and worry about them. I can only say that you just can't let food replace anything in your life.

One salvation for me was a hobby. I am a knitter and it keeps my hands busy so I can't eat. I also take on complicated projects when I really don't want to think about something else. This works great, actually. If I am doing a knitting project where I have to count stitches, change yarns, etc, I can only think about what I am doing and not about what is worrying me.

If nothing else, find a household job needing doing that would need your full attention and tackle it. If you work, take on something that keeps your mind totally occupied with it.

My children lived the Navy life and when he would leave for a deployment we would make a paper chain of colored construction paper,one for each day he would be gone. We would then cut one off everyday. When my dh and I were going to Las Vegas for the first time and so excited, we sat down like two children and did this together then like kids, cut off a link everyday. We booked a year in advance so his office was strung all over with chain. It was actually fun to do and with every link, it became a day closer. As silly as it seems, it is a way to stay connected with your son. Even send him pictures of how your progress is coming along. I am sure he will get a kick out of it.

Good luck to you and all you military wives and moms who have loved ones going overseas.

Last edited by gma22; 03-19-2009 at 07:24 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #4  
My reward...

I'll look for new challenges as they come out - I'm having a hard time getting motivated!
Keeping busy is definitely what I need to do! I keep telling myself he's smart, he's strong and will be a great soldier!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #5  

TryinAgain5402,
I don't know how far along your sonis in his training but I would encourage you to go to his graduations. I've been to both of my son's graduations, first from basic training and from AIT and they are both moving. Also you can get a look at the other side of military life. I'd never been on a military base before I went to Jon's first graduation and I think seeing what the base was like and how hard they trained made me feel better about him being in the Army. Also seeing how grown up he has become and also the respect he gets from people. I still worry about him everyday even tho I know he is in a safe area. I would never let him know that I am worried and try to be upbeat when I talk to him. I also realize that bad things could happen to him at home, car accidents, illness, or just about anything else so I try to keep the perspective and try to make him as proud of me as I am of him.
So back away from the chocolate ( or try sf chocolate pudding) and when your fears get the better of you take a walk and say a prayer for him while doing it.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #6  
My reward...

He hasn't left yet - he's got about 2 more weeks, then off to South Carolina. I will support him in every way i can, attend his graduations and try like **** night to eat everytime i realize i can't talk to him everyday. My son-in-law is finishing up his 6th year, two deployments & he's fine.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #7  

My son had his basic training at Ft Jackson in SC, it is really nice there. He graduated in Aug during a major heat wave, over 100 degrees. After he graduated we went to Charlsetown and also to the beach, it was quite a treat for us Iowa people. He came back after that to finish his senior year in HS. Just remember that there is a lot invested in their training so the government is going to give them the tools to stay safe.