Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: March 16 - 22

Good morning! I was woken up by an unidentified furry object landing on my chest and purring. Guess it's time for coffee and the gym! I've discovered that my new knees get very cranky when I don't exercise and that the more active I am, the better they feel. Maybe has to do with blood pumping and breaking up scar tissue? In any event, I'm looking forward to a fun workout.

I survived my last long week at the spa! And Saturday was a doozy -- we had a group of women in for an "I'm Not Getting Married Today" spa day (it would have been the wedding day for one of them). Needless to say, we went through a lot of champagne for mimosas and other drinks.

So this week will be a back to normal schedule, which means more gym time (yay!) and housecleaning and taxes (boo). I'm so far behind in everything that I can't see light at the end of the tunnel yet. The only good news is that my pants are falling down, which ordinarily I'd be thrilled about except that they're 4s and I don't own any smaller ones, nor do I want to buy new, nor do some brands make 2s. Don't even get me started on the absurdities of sizing and how someone of my weight shouldn't even be wearing 4s!! (I think I'm an average size, so should be about a 10. If sizing was logical, that is.)

Today is the second day of my weekend, so it's errands, grocery shopping, meal planning, laundry, cleaning day.

How is everyone today? How were your weekends? Anything fun coming up this week?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hello maintainers!

Meg -- It's good to see that you had a nice week-end, and that your work schedules has normalized again.

My week-end was, uhm, full of anguish to say the least. We had planned lots of activities, but it felt down the drain due to some of the involved friends finding themselves facing unexpected problems, so of course priorities shifted. (I don't know yet if things will look up for them. I so hope they will, but right now, I'm not too optimistic about it. We'll see later on this week.)

The only positive point as far as I'm concerned is that I didn't turn to food to cope, and actually didn't really feel the need to. (The thought was there, but in a "hey, I remember I used to do that... oh, not worth it, don't bother about it" way.) Which is good in more than one way, since, after all, how can I really help my friends if I'm already feeling sick from a binge to start with?

Now, the shopping addiction, on the other hand... no comment. But last year's summer pants are also falling off, so I guess it's one valid justification, at least.

Well, I hope you all had good week-ends nonetheless!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, maintainers!

If I keep on eating the way I did this week-end, I'll never be a maintainer. ugh. I am going to the gym shortly to atone somewhat.

I hope everyone else did better than I did.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning maintainers!

Glad your schedule will be back to normal Meg. I hear you on the pants. I find it ridiculous that I am barely smaller than I was in high school when I wore an 8 and now I wear a 2 or a zero and I have a heck of a time finding any. I just don't feel that small and wonder what truly tiny people do for clothes.

WardHog--You can do it! Here's some carrots for you at the gym for strength. Move on and don't beat yourself up.

Kery-- hope things work out for your friends and glad you didn't turn to food. Shopping is always a good substitution!!

My weekend was pretty good. I weighed in Saturday and was up 3 pounds. Major wake up call. I've never been up that much. As of this morning, I've got that down to 1 pound so I'm going in the right way. My daughter left for college Saturday after her spring break. I hope we gave her the right amount of support, advice and motivation regarding her weight. The doctor she saw for her physical gave her diet and exercise advice and she seems to be at least trying. We are going to set her up with a personal trainer when she comes home in May. We are just so concerned about her drastic weight gain.

I had to argue with myself on Saturday regarding the gym. I made it to the car and almost talked myself out of it with tears. I was so tired and cranky but I finally forced myself to go and of course, I was glad I did. I have book fair at my school this week which messes up my schedule so I'm not sure how much I'll exercise.

I started working on Sundays this past Sunday. I'm glad but already thinking--every Sunday??? Really.... it is for WW as a receptionist and I have to be there very early so I have zero sleeping in days now. I took a little nap Saturday so I may have to do that on the weekends so I don't crash and burn.

I was thinking of taking another part-time job for some Saturdays and some days during the summer but she wanted me more than I thought so I backed out. I felt guilty as she is a friend and I feel like I put her in a bind but she wanted me for my whole spring break and all Saturdays in March and April and I just started feeling overwhelmed. I hope she understands.

I was excited yesterday when I realized that I have spring break from my online class for my masters. I literally had no idea until last night when I got on to see what my upcoming week's lessons were! It is perfect timing as I have book fair which will keep me hopping. I have projects and papers to work on for the class so I can focus on those as well.

Hope everyone has an awesome week!!!

Michele
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #5  

Meg, don't knock the vanity sizing! I like being a size 12. That is when I'm a size 12 and not a size 16. But I've still got a couple months of grace period before I transition from "postpartum" to "recidivist." Dunno if I'll make it. Well, by June anyway, I WILL be making it.

Running is going better for me and I'm now back to 2+ mile intervals. Food was off this weekend, but not way off, and I'm back to planning and such now!

My DSL modem died this weekend, and I kinda melted down. I NEED the Internet. I've been on since 91 and we just had to FTP everything.

Work calls!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone. Well, my weekend wasn't a bust--I weigh the same as Friday, so all is good. We had a nice dinner at a Mexican place (La Pinata) in Old Town San Diego. Saturday morning was Starbucks (skinny vanilla and a ham and egg on chibata roll). For lunch we hit a local tavern and I had what I describe as salad with Buffalo chicken in a tortilla. Del Taco rounded out dinner (we were on our way home). Sunday was fine and my in-laws took me out for Italian for an early birthday dinner. I had lasagna. Yum.

Anyway, I'm back to salad for lunch and egg whites for breakfast. I really need to get back down to goal. This constant gaining is really bothering me and none of my nice capri pants fit.

Oh, at the robotics tournament, DS's team didn't score a single point. It was frustrating, but they were having a lot of different problems with their programming and such. They hope to get their program working properly this week so they can tweak it for the July competition in Washington DC.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #7  
Workin' It

Anne - I remember those days of pre-internet online... I had a Chameleon computer that was one big box with a keyboard that snapped to the front with a carry handle. The little screen was 6.5 inches across from top corner to bottom corner, green on a black background...Used to call in to BBSs and post messages, FTP in to get stuff from the library... I sometimes joke with people that I've been on the internet since before there were pictures and sound. My modem was down at home the week before last for three whole days and I thought I was going to lose my mind... My neighbor across the street let me connect to their wireless network to check email...

Meg - I'm with you on the pants... my 4s are loose now, and I don't feel like there is anyway I should be wearing 2s... I feel only slightly smaller than average some days, pretty average sized on others... Today is one of the 'other' days - I am 1.5 pounds above my redline after my sugar and sodium palooza weekend (up a whopping 5 pounds of retained fluid from Friday)...

Ward - have fun at the gym! I need to get there today myself, this weekend wasn't a great one for me, either...

Kery - on not turning to food this weekend!

Michele - Don't wear yourself out with the extra work. You have to have a little time each week where you can rest. Glad you have the week off from class with the bookfair craziness this week!

Well, as I already said, this weekend wasn't great. I was way over the top with sugar and such on Friday, pulled it back down a little (except for wedding & grooms cake) on Saturday, then piled on sodium and snacky candy on Sunday. Also didn't exercise Thurs, Fri or Sat... This resulted in 1.5 pounds over my redline this morning.. So, time to get my tail back in gear...

Fun thing from the wedding - the grooms cake was made to look like the KISS logo, complete with led spotlights on the bottom edges, iced disks to look like spotlights spelling out the name on the logo, black icing, and little paper smoke pots of flames on the top edge. Red velvet cake inside. The neatest thing I've ever seen, and way good.

Have a good day everyone!

ETA - typing at the same time as you Allison! Glad you had a good weekend! Sounds like you did a great job with your food choices in a potentially difficult setting. Sorry DS didnt do as well as he'd hoped at this tourney! It will give him some good practice for the next one.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #8  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up

Hi maintainers,

I'm still doing well with IBS stuff. What a relief! I got a virus in the weekend so no walk yesterday. It didn't look inviting anyway with the snow falling. I am below weight today because of feeling sick. Feeling tired also but have good appetite for my daily oatmeal breakfast this morning.

Speaking of loose pants- mine are falling down too and need to find a place that has the right sizes. There are brands sold in Canada that don't have drastic vanity sizing. I live near Chinatown in Vancouver and the local women have proper sizing or it would be impossible for them! The Asian Canadian women are so tiny and fashionable!

The only fun thing I can look forward to is hope this illness is short lived.

Have a good week everyone!
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Morning maintainers!

Meg, I hear you on the pant sizing! I own a pair of pants from the Gap that are a size 8 and are a bit snug (read: muffin top) but this weekend I tried on a few pairs of 6's in the store that would have fallen right off my hips! It makes me feel a bit defeated - sure, I wear a smaller size, but I'm not actually any smaller.

I love the "I'm not getting married today" spa day... aside from how much work I'm sure it was, I bet it was fun for the ladies in attendance! One of my friends and I have joked about having an "I'm not having a baby" shower.

Allison, bummer about your son's robotics competition... I hope things come together for the next one! My bf did that in high school and volunteers with a local school's team now.

Michele - how wonderful to have a spring break come as a surprise! I hope you get to relax a bit. =)

I'm heading out in the wee hours of the morning to catch a flight to Montana, where I'm spending the week with my bf... we're long distance right now. I'm a little worried about my food and exercise for the week. I've been counting calories but won't be able to do this as closely. I'll still try to add up rough estimates in my head. I just know there will be lots of good food (and beer!) and no formal opportunities to work out.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hi everyone! I'm back in Indy after my "vacation" in LA. Weight is still up, but it hasn't gone down in so long I'm beginning to think it never will.

Just over one month until my triathlon! Of course I stupidly decided this would be a great time to go for a walk with a new pair of shoes and gave myself a nasty blister on the back of my ankle. I really need to be running a lot right now but with this stupid blister it's not going to happen for a few more days. Hopefully I'll get in a bike ride tonight.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #11  

Jessica, your tri is getting close now! Have you practiced transitions yet? A fun thing to do while your blister heals. I signed up for a tri on my 40th birthday, and am looking forward to it. Haven't been in the pool since Nov 1, so I need to get going with it!

everyone. The thread seems uncharacteristically quiet this week! Tuesday morning and still page 1.

Anne
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Anne, I've done a couple practice runs of doing all three events in a row without stopping, but it wasn't too accurate because it was at the gym and I had to collect my stuff from the swim locker room and lug it upstairs to the other locker room before I could get on the bike. Even doing that though I was able to get a little practice putting on my sports bra, pants, and shirt over my wet swimsuit. I'm still thinking about whether or not to buy actual triathlon clothing. I spent so much on winter running gear that I don't really want to spend any more $$ on clothes. At least I don't have any clothing changes for the bike to run transition.

I've been off my training for a couple weeks because of work and going out of town but I need to get back on track with the race so close! I haven't been to the pool in three weeks. Hmm, maybe THAT'S what I should do while my blister heals! The weather is finally nice here though so I can get to work. Maybe tonight I'll bike to the gym and go swimming. Then have DH pick me up so I don't have to bike home!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #13  

Hi maintainers,

Anne - I'll chime in on the quiet thread!

It's a strange week for me because I'm in california right now, on a business trip. I've been waking up with jet lag every day, and I'm aching all over from too much days sitting in meetings. I brought my elastic bands & nintendo ds along so I might get in some stretching and yoga to get that out. Otherwise, I.m enjoying the weather. probabely I'll be up a lot when I'm home because of all the hotel food.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #14  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Yes, kind of quiet so far this week... I'm bouncing back to chatty from yesterday's exhausted - I was worn out the last several days. Didn't exercise last Thurs, Fri or Sat - I was lethargic all three days. I finally got back on the Weider on Sunday and literally was tripping over my feet at some point. Then, back to no exercise yesterday. We had my stepson last night, and he is very 4 right now, so drains the energy right out of you! I have my bag in the car to run on the way home from work, though, and the sun is back out so I'm determined to do it! Hmmm - it has been raining since Thursday... maybe that was part of my run down blah last week!

I am back down below my redline this morning, though still 2 pounds over Friday morning. We'll see what happens over the next couple of days. I increased my calories some last week - intentionally early in the week with good food choices, by accident later in the week with wedding cake - to see if I could eat more with my current exercise level. I'm hoping I didn't go too far...

rabbit - Have a good trip! I hate sitting in meetings all day, but at least you are in a pretty place to be doing it!

Jessica - swimming while blister heals sounds like a good idea to me!

Anne - when is your birthday? How long does it usually take to train for a triathlon? A guy I work with is preparing for one and I think he has been working on it for over a year now.

Iris - have fun in Montana! Long distance relationships are hard enough as it is, focus on it while you are there and don't worry as much about food. Just have fun!

Have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #15  

Shannon, nice work getting back under your red line. Triathlon training can vary a lot in how long it takes, depending on how fit you are, what your base in all 3 sports is, what your goals are, and how long your race is. My birthday and race are both on Memorial Day, so I have a couple months, which should be sufficient for the short(ish) race I've picked, my running progress, and my rather modest race goals.

Hi rabbit, hope that jet lag passes quickly and that you are enjoying the sunshine there.

Jessica, I practice transitions in my garage. Just getting gear laid out in a halfway logical fashion and pulling it off and putting it on. It is sort of fun, and free speed! Much easier to take a minute off a shoe change than a 5K run!!

Anne