Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #1  

Thumbs up This is great!

Wow, seeing a depression and weight forum on the same site, is AWESOME. I've visited other sites, and never felt like I belonged, few people could relate to depression/anxiety and weight gain.

It's nice to know that other people will be able to relate to "I'm so mad at someone, I'm going to eat, and that will show them" when were mad at ourselves. Or find ourselves eating just to eat.

Eating when something doesn't go right, when an emotion arises and we have no idea what it is;-)
lilith48858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #2  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

I agree . . . and depression really makes a HUGE difference in weight and weight loss. People who don't suffer from depression really can't relate like a person who is going through it!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196.0/194.0/140

Height: 5"2

Very true...people see you as only one or the other...overweight or depressed...they give abundant advice as to sort one or the other out...but they just dont have any idea that one messes up the other...we have two battles to fight not just one....i look at people in weight watchers and the weight just falls off them every week and I do think if only I hadnt got my depression to sort out, then maybe I could manage to sort my weight out permanently but for people like us we seem to get two things and not one....so we have two battles to fight everyday....its just so unfair....

Last edited by missirishwoman; 03-16-2009 at 10:15 AM.
missirishwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith48858 View Post
Wow, seeing a depression and weight forum on the same site, is AWESOME. I've visited other sites, and never felt like I belonged, few people could relate to depression/anxiety and weight gain.
Welcome to 3FC's. We're glad your here

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #5  

Thanks guys! sounds like a great place to be!

Last edited by lilith48858; 03-16-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: left out
lilith48858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #6  
Rowing Mama

S/C/G: 202/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

It is amazing how interconnected the two are, isn't it? When I'm eating well and exercising, my depression is better. But when I'm not.... watch out! It goes from bad to worse because I don't care. Then when I start to feel less depressed and start to care, the weight issue can throw me right back to depression-land.

I agree with you- this is a fabulous forum!
julieofarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #7  

Depression and Weight issues go together like bread and butter (noticed I used food as an example). I have suffered from depression for years. I have been given the wonderful gift of caring for my 82 yr old mother with dementia and that just sent my depression into a tail spin. I can't find an anti-depressant that I'm not allergic to. I just stopped taking my 4th. one and I have now decided that I have to find an alternate means of dealing with my depression. By joining 3fc I'm hoping to find some answers or just the support I need on those crappy days. I look forward to visiting 3fc every morning.

Last edited by learningtoliveagain; 04-01-2009 at 02:56 PM.
learningtoliveagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome LTLA, we are glad your looking forward to being here. It really is a great place.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 196.0/194.0/140

Height: 5"2

LTLA...: you mentined anti-depressives...have you tried st johns worth....check out the website kellys st johns wort forum not sure of the link...im taking sjw and i found that site helpful as well.....welcome aboard and I hope you get sorted soon.

missMADirishwoman.

Last edited by missirishwoman; 03-30-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
missirishwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey there, I'm glad you are here.

Yes, the depression and weight issues do seem to often go hand in hand. I don't want to give any unsolicited advice here because I still struggle with depression and weight issues--obviously. I did want to offer though that sometimes it helps to "fake it till you make it." I know it's hardly novel but one thing I have started doing is deciding to do things that I would do if I really, truly valued myself as much as I value some others in my life.

I used to consume myself with my children's wardrobes, their diet, how my house appeared to everyone else, etc. Somehow, I have managed to turn much of that attention inward. It has helped me somewhat.

I am not on meds but use three things to help--sunshine, fish oil and exercise. I was on Zoloft but gained 60 pounds doing it a few years back.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-30-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Leenie, I love and adore your sig line--the pink one.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-30-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

I have had depression for more than half of my life, can never seem to get out of it. I've tried meds, therapy, but nothing really helped. I feel it's because of my weight cause before puberty I was a twig and more active and happy and ever since gaining weight I've been miserable. I also live with my parents who tend to enable me and bro with junkfood, so it's really hard for me to resist. And with every diet I do good for awhile then I slip up and it's much harder to get back in control. I honestly don't know what to do anymore, I feel I will never lose weight, unless I have a job and a place of my own, and I can't even get hired for a job which makes me feel even more worthless.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #13  

You have to love yourself as you are today before you can help yourself overcome weight issues and depression. It's hard to do, but I am a living example it can be done. I take Celexa, Trazadone, and Elavil.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

I used to love Trazodone, actually worked for me to sleep at night, but one day I passed out on it on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night, so ya I don't take it no more. Besides that, I was on Lexapro.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #15  

Girls I think that you have so mush time to think. Start something , some hobby. That is one way to forget about the depression!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote