South Beach Diet - The "What's for Dinner?" Thread. 3/14-3/21

CyndiM
03-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I have Mediterranean Vegetable Stew in the crock pot. There will be portabello parm on the side.

cottagebythesea
03-14-2009, 03:46 PM
The grocery store had broccoli slaw on sale for $.25 a bag, so I stocked up. I was going to make something with it for tonight, but Jake really wants to go out for Chinese. Hmmmm, what should I do?

CyndiM
03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Chinese made with broccoli slaw? What a bargain! I was happy because I picked up enormous heads of bok choy for $.59.

TwynnB
03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
BBQ pork on the grill, collard greens, deviled eggs, some other veggie, and corn fritters for the kiddos.

Ruthxxx
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I know the 17th isn't until Tuesday but...I have corned beef in the crockpot and will do cabbage with it a bit later.

Chelby29
03-14-2009, 04:25 PM
The grocery store had broccoli slaw on sale for $.25 a bag, so I stocked up. I was going to make something with it for tonight, but Jake really wants to go out for Chinese. Hmmmm, what should I do?

I'm with Brian! :D

zeffryn
03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Honestly, I have no idea.

Last night we had the daal, so tonight I'll probably make the enchiladas. I either need to do that, or put the filling in the freezer.

cottagebythesea
03-14-2009, 06:52 PM
We compromised on supper, I cooked since I have the time for a change, and we'll pick up Chinese one night during the week when we're running short on time. ;)

I made artichoke pasta with a shrimp, broccoli & mushroom marinara arrabiata, and broccoli slaw on the side. :T

cottagebythesea
03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I have two pots of Chicken Tortilla Soup simmering on the stovetop. One with real chicken for Jake and DS and his family, (who are joining us for supper), and one for me, made with fake chicken. :)

Ruthxxx
03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Meatloaf with spinach and gingered carrots for sure. Then I'll have three mini-loaves fro the stash which is building up again!

zeffryn
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
We have mega amounts of leftovers that need to be taken care of.

Tomorrow night is chicken tortilla soup using the rest of the taco chicken. Man, that double batch has made for a TON of meals! One night of chicken tacos, lunch the next day, one meal of enchiladas, lunch the next day and now chicken tortilla soup.

mizski
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Pasta Primavera: Barilla Plus spaghetti with a TON of veggies: asparagus, orange bell pepper, zucchini, yellow summer squash, sliced mushrooms, halved grape tomatoes sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic. Topped with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

By using a ton of veggies I can get away with not having much pasta. :)

CyndiM
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Red beans & rice, steamed cauliflower, homemade oatmeal bread, maybe some bok choy too if I'm ambitious

swandive81
03-15-2009, 10:44 PM
I made it a takeout night... rotisserie chicken, spanish beans, broccoli

idrinkcoffee
03-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Edit: Oops, I just realized that this is in the South Beach Diet forum.

CyndiM, your meal sounds delicious! I :love: Bok Choy.

JerseyGirrl
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Broiled shark steak with lemon, onions, garlic, margarine and a bit of season salt. Maybe some green beans and brown rice on the side and a spinach salad w/ reduced fat feta.

Ruthxxx
03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
A lean boneless pork chop made into a stir-fry with lots of peppers and celerey plus some brown rice from the freezer - if I can find it! - or ww pasta. (Capelli d'Angelli reminds me a of Chinese noodles.)

zeffryn
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Mexican chicken soup; jalapeno cornbread for the masses; jello with strawberries for dessert

TwynnB
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
broiled scallops, brown rice, asparagus, and other veggies for the kiddos.

cottagebythesea
03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I got home late and too tired to cook, so I had cottage cheese with strawberries.

swandive81
03-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Spaghetti squash with sicilian tuna sauce

Barb0522
03-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Brian is with his Dad so I'm making a stir fry with scallops, asparagus, mushrooms, cabbage, red onion and light balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

TwynnB
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Unlikely Brian! Our scallops were fantastic!

Tomorrow: carnitas with all the trimmings (basically quesadillas), and black bean with corn salad.

I also just made an asparagus and tomato salad with my leftover asparagus from tonight...yum!

When did I start to crave and adore veggie salads like this??!?!

murphmitch
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
On the road today. Ate an Arby's roast chicken sandwich without the mayo or bun (AKA chicken and tomato) for supper. Starving when I got home, so I had Ezekial bread with almond butter.

rdw1
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
First I will start off by saying I just went to Penzeys spice company while up north and got some cool new spices to try so hopefully I will be mixing it up a bit more! lol

Lunch was made with the new hot curry powder I bought, and didn't care a whole lot for- tastes sweeter than the other one I had and well, sweet just isn't my thing... anywho I made it with chic peas, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, a few baby carrots, tomatoes and black sesame seeds... pretty yummy but had to add some sriracha sauce to add me some heat :)

Ive been trying to figure out what to have for dinner that I can make with cabbage... before becoming vegetarian I really liked ruebens- wish there was a good alternative...

JerseyGirrl
03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
My mother wants me to go over for dinner, but they are having corned beef and cabbage. Just the thought of corned beef makes me want to hurl my kibbles n bits. LOL Maybe I'll just be polite and nibble on some cabbage and then come home and make a whole wheat pita pizza with veggies?

Ruthxxx
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I had my corned beef on the weekend when I needed a crockpot meal. Tonight I'm having pulled pork on "fried" cabbage with maybe a wee tater or two - it IS St Patrick's Day and I am Irish.

CyndiM
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Now that my evening obligation has been canceled we are having sauteed cabbage, carrots & veggie sausages with lots of fennel and garlic.

JerseyGirrl
03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Rikki...I could swear I've seen vegetarian pastrami slices somewhere before?? I'll see if I can find it.

Chelby29
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Rikki -- Penzey's Spices is one of my favorite places! We have one in Birmingham. Their soup bases are wonderful. I haven't had the veggie base, but can't imagine it's less that great. What did you get? My favorite things are BBQ3000, Old World Seasoning, salad dressing mixes, and tillicherry whole peppercorns. I'm going to get good curry the next time I'm there.

JerseyGirrl
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Rikki...this isn't the one I'm thinking of but this is what I found..
http://www.tofurky.com/products/delislices.htm
Scroll down to "peppered tofurkey slices" it says "pastrami like slices"

rdw1
03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I bought the bangkok blend, chili 3000, sliced ginger, cajun seasoning, hot curry(not my fave), dill weed, their dip seasoning is good too! I also got a big bag of cumin- we use it a lot~ I love Penzeys too- I am kicking myself for not buying the corned beef seasoning but what would I have imagined using it with? ewll, now I have tons of ideas! LOL... Maybe when I go to Birmingham next I will get by there- I sometimes go there for hairshows :)

rdw1
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Jerseygirl- I have had that brand before, I may just buy a quorn roast and have turkey ruebens...

zeffryn
03-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Cottage pie with lean ground beef, lots of veggies and sweet potato topping instead of white potato. Side of green beans and whole wheat irish soda bread.

I rather wish I hadn't had a slice of toast with breakfast this morning as it is going to be a carb heavy evening.

murphmitch
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Well since I am Irish, I'm having lean beef and cabbage, onions, carrots with roasted garlic. Don't care for corned beef at all! :luck2you:

movielover
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
We are having turkey sausage and cabbage :)

cottagebythesea
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
I made a really tasty veggie stir-fry with shredded cabbage and tons of other veggies, and tossed in some smoked tofu.

rdw1
03-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, I was bad and did have some bread- I had a rueben made with quorn roast and saurkraut and swiss- I had mine with spicy mustard and DH had thousand island with his... I also had 1 green beer, well, just because! SO carbs were heavy today because of the sandwich, but I came in right on par calorie and fat wise... Laying off the carbs tomorrow!

OH, I found a yummy thing at Trader Joes tonight... Sweet potato chips- they aren't baked so they are high calorie but for a treat every now and then they are GREAT!

Chelby29
03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Big yummy salad with grilled chicken. I'm going to make the chick pea crunchies to go on top.

zeffryn
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Chel - great idea with the chickpea crunchies on top of the salad!

Tonight we're having red lentil curry -- it's a new recipe so we'll see how it goes.

CyndiM
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Roasted red pepper tomato soup, seitan sausage, and steamed cauliflower (I'd roast that too but DP really loves her mashed cauliflower)

JerseyGirrl
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Tonight I'm going out with the girls to celebrate my friend's engagement. They want to do appetizers and drinks. I'm going to just get a side salad or maybe some soup and I'll have one white wine spritzer and drink it slowly. Then it is nothing but water for me. I'll have some black beans with salsa when I get home.

murphmitch
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Loin pork chops marinated in Italian dressing on the grill, grilled onions, steamed cauliflower. Does anyone know if cauliflower is good on the grill - with olive oil drizzled on it?

cottagebythesea
03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Murphmitch, you CAN roast cauliflower on the grill, I have a pan made especially to grill vegetables on the BBQ, and they come out super. You can also wrap the cauliflower in foil and grill it like that.

I had leftover veggie and smoked tofu stir-fry again tonight.

rdw1
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Tonight I made creamed spinach(out of a bag :P) and a big salad... I also cooked a veggie chicken patty for myself, but decided I didn't want it- I will be having it for lunch tomorrow...

zeffryn
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
We went out for dinner because yard work took way too long. I had a giant salad from the deli's salad bar and some apple slices for dessert.

I'm hungry again...maybe I'll grab some nuts before I go read for the night.

cottagebythesea
03-19-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm making Laurie's Lentil Soup with Cauliflower and Yogurt for supper on this rainy day. :)

Ruthxxx
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
GF grilled chicken breast and tabbouleh - I didn't eat as planned last night so that's "it" for tonight.