Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/259/150

Height: 5'6

Default New to OA, need help...

Hi all,
I just found out about OA this week when I picked up a used book that I thought may be helpful in my never ending weight battles. It was called 'Twelve steps for over eaters'. As I started reading it I realized it was a program. Eventually they talked about OA. I did an online search and found the website and read a lot of the info they had posted....so now what do I do? It seems like this may be helpful to me, but going to a face-to-face meeting may not work. I am too embarrassed to tell my husband I found another weight loss strategy...he's heard that a million times...each ending the same way.

I did go to an online meeting today and just "listened", but still don't know anything about the steps or how to start. I am really confused. It seems like a lot of the program has to do with accountability to someone else or a group of others. I'm just not sure how to get that. If I go to a meeting will they tell me how to get started or give me some literature that explains this? Just how does it work?

Sorry for such a long post, I am just trying to figure this all out. I am so glad to have found something that seems to understand how hard this is, that will power (at least for me) won't cut it, and I need serious help. Thanks for any help guys!
NewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #2  

Welcome, NewCreation.

Face to face meetings are scary for some people at first just to put your foot in the door takes a lot of courage. They are wonderful after you get your foot in the door as you feel at home.

We have what we call sponsers in OA. They are usually people who have gone through the steps with their sponser. At meetings they will ask who are sponsers as a rule or they will have a sheet of paper with a sponser list. For me this is one of the most important tools.

It is suggested that you attend 5 or 6 meetings before you decide if OA is for you and during that time listen to the people who speak and feel free to share anything you want. When you listen you will hear someone that might have what you want and then you just approach them after the meeting and ask if you can talk about sponsership.

My best suggestion about the program is to keep it simple. All will work out as you work.

You can also get sponsers online. I got mine from this site as we had no face to face meeting but now we do but I have the same sponser.

Feel free to ask questions here or at the on line meetings. There are also telephone meetings you can find the list at oa.org.

I hope this has been of some help for you.

hugs
patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #3  

I suggest finding a meeting in your area and starting there. It will make more sense that way and then use the online meetings as added support.
Gymgurl is offline   Reply With Quote