Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default How did you settle on your calorie limits?

I am just wondering how people decided on how many calories to eat?

So far I have been eating about 1200-1600 each day usually around 1400 on average. I just feel that this might not be right though like maybe I am not eating enough. Because last week I lost 2.2lbs and I had totally messed up one of the days and went over 2k calories and ate a bit the other days too (while still staying in my range). But this week I stayed a bit lower and only lost .8lbs. I mean it is still a loss and I am happy that I continue to lose every week even if it is just a little bit. I just am such a Virgo and have to overthink and be a perfectionist or I drive myself crazy sigh lol.

I am working out 6 days a week. 45 mins of light aerobics/walking with maybe 10 mins of light jogging in there. I count it as 15 min/mile for 45 mins. I use a leslie sansone walking dvd. It says I burn about 331 calories a day doing that. People told me to count it as light aerobics which would burn about 405 calories but eh idk if it feels right to count it as that lol. I am also starting pilates 2 days a week for now.

I looked up some info on calorie counting. There is so much info and it all seems so confusing lol. One site says with my amount of exercise I should eat 1350-1700. Which is kindof a wide range. Another site with alot of math said I should eat 1448 to lose 2lbs a week but that is without exercise (I think). Every guide/website tells me a different number range or has alot of math that when I try to figure out the exercise in I just get too confused lol. I so wish I just had someone to tell me an exact number of calories for how much exercise I am doing. I guess I just have to kindof test the waters and keep practicing until I find what works the best. Unless my head explodes first lol

But I am curious how you got through all the mess of numbers to decide on a calorie range for you? Did it just take alot of trial and error or do you have some secret? lol Any advice to help stop my head spinning would be much loved

IDK I was thinking about:
M-1700
T-1300 (my non workout day & also super lazy day lol)
W-1450
T-1450
F-1600
S-1450
S-1300
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Yes, I think trial and error, and continually readjusting is the key. There is no one perfect calorie number for everyone. And even after you find a number that works great, you may need to adjust again as you continue on your journey. It sounds like you are doing well, keep it up!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/215/185

Height: 5'1"

Right now I am eating 1500, with burning 250 cals in exercise 3-4 days a week and 400 cals in exercise 1 day a week. The day I do my harder work out (step aerobics class) I am trying to eat another 100 cals. I am trying to stay above 1200 cals after taking exercise into account. I'm averaging about 2.2 pounds a week over almost four weeks. If it starts to slow down, I'll probably lower my cals, but as long as I stick to losing 1.5-2# per week, I figure I'm good.

(And look at averages, not just what you lost last week. I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of it for me and tells me what my weekly weight loss average is.)
Aiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It took me some time to figure it all out, and a lot depends on your size, age, percent body fat, and what you want to accomplish. And then, as you lose, there are more adjustments to be made.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 313 lbs. I've got 44% body fat. In order to maintain that at rest (BMR), I need to take in almost 2100 calories a day. With a moderate level of exercise, I can lose weight on 2200 calories a day. I've been weight training for over a year. My lean body mass is 175 lbs., which is a little higher than I want. I'm cutting back and increasing cardio to burn fat now.

It's important to eat enough foods, and a balanced nutrition, in order to keep your metabolism and burn fat efficiently. Otherwise, your body starts cannibalizing your muscles and organs.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Trial and error for sure. I agree with your calorie count choice (average 1400)- I'm a bit heavier than you, and 1400 is good for me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Trial and error. I set lower and upper limits (1200-1600) and let my hunger, activity level, and schedule dictate how many I actually consumed.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #7  
300+ Chick

In my weight loss books..I take my ideal weight goal x 15 with 30 minutes of exercise.

no exercise... goal weight x 13

Good luck!

Liliann
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote