Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #1  
I am the lorax.

S/C/G: 215/193/160

Height: 5'8"

Default advice on good running shoes

I've noticed every time I go to the gym after about 30 minutes the bottom of my foot starts to sting, actually it might be more of a burning sting. As far sneakers go I only own a pair of converse and sketchers running shoes, my friend who runs extensively and trains said they weren't necessarily bad but aren't necessarily good either. What are some good brands and types of running shoes?
moralitylikeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Best bet is to go get fitted at a running store, they will help you find the best shoe for your foot.

Brooks are a good brand and what I wear but I tried on 10 pairs of shoes at the running store before I decided on these.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/241/160

I love New Balance!!! The running shoes are the best, they are supportive and come in a wider size, which really goes a long way!
dcat4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #4  
Just Me

Of course I hate new balance and I have wide feet. Any new balance shoe I've used for exercise makes my feet go numb.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #5  
No description available.

And I can't wear brooks. So you see there are lots of brands, but to find what works for you go to a real running store and get fitted by a professional. I wear asicd btw.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I went to the New Balance store and found some great ones. They were about 100 dollars but fit fantastically and look nice too. If you want to go the cheaper route, go to a running store and get measured for the brand you want. Then, when you see them at TJ Maxx or Marshall's or whatever, you will know which size is best for you.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-12-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

By the way, I had Nike before and they killed my feet terribly. But some of my friends swear by Nike. I think the best fit is different for everyone.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

I would definitely get fitted at a good running store. I am a huge pronator with very low arches so regular running shoes don't fit me well. The store recommended Brooks Beast line of shoes made for my foot-type and step and it fits me perfectly and have my running to be so much more comfortable.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

See if there is a "RoadRunner Sports" store where you live- they are so great!

I was having those same pains- one day during a workout with my trainer I just collapsed, my foot couldn't take it- I had to sit down for quite a while it was so painful. Turned out I had tendonitis. Went to the doctor she tried to get these like $400 insoles and insurance said no (what a SURPRISE). So she recommended to try roadrunner sports. There is one about half an hour where I live.

I went in and they had me run on a treadmill for like 30 seconds, then step on this touch pad. They told me my arches were low and that I needed stability shoes since I tend to roll on my feet. They picked out the PERFECT shoes for me and I LOVE THEM.

It's been over a year and since I got the shoes (I just bought my second pair) and I love them. Yes it did cost me a pretty penny ($150 a pair) but I will never go back to cheap shoes again- my feet are too important. I also went and bought my husband two pairs and he loves the shoes as well.

Seriously haven't had an ounce of pain while working out since Oh to add I also get the extra insoles and that with the shoes is $150 and i totally recommend getting them if they suggest it. I never have foot pain anymore- I went walking for like 8 hours once and didn't have ANY pain at the end of it- it was AWESOME!

Last edited by beerab; 03-12-2009 at 05:39 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

I went to RoadRunner Sports too and had same great experience. I also got stability shoes and haven't looked back since.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #11  

Quote:
If you want to go the cheaper route, go to a running store and get measured for the brand you want. Then, when you see them at TJ Maxx or Marshall's or whatever, you will know which size is best for you.
Every major running shoe brand makes a wide variety of decent shoes that all do different things. Unless you know a lot about what your feet need (and "New Balance 8D" does not constitute "a lot") this is a great way to get injured.

Go to a running store and get fitted.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 03-12-2009 at 06:30 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

I think Thighs Be Gone meant that once you know the model, brand and size of shoe you can always buy them cheaper elsewhere. Not sure, though

Keep in mind too that price does not always guarantee that a shoe is going to work for you. I've had expensive shoes that caused injuries before, and super cheap ones that worked great and lasted forever. It really varies. Any running store worth it's salt will assess your needs and then give you some options in a few different price ranges if you ask them to, so don't think that you have to spend a ton of money to get good shoes.

Also, remember that they should feel good from the beginning. Don't be like me and think that you have to "break them in" and run through the pain, because you WILL injure yourself.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #13  
Just Me

My running shoes were less than $100 and actually, my running store (Fleet Feet) had a sale before Christmas and I bought a replacement pair for $25.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulVegGirl View Post
I think Thighs Be Gone meant that once you know the model, brand and size of shoe you can always buy them cheaper elsewhere. Not sure, though

Keep in mind too that price does not always guarantee that a shoe is going to work for you. I've had expensive shoes that caused injuries before, and super cheap ones that worked great and lasted forever. It really varies. Any running store worth it's salt will assess your needs and then give you some options in a few different price ranges if you ask them to, so don't think that you have to spend a ton of money to get good shoes.

Also, remember that they should feel good from the beginning. Don't be like me and think that you have to "break them in" and run through the pain, because you WILL injure yourself.

Agree on all counts.

If they aren't comfy from the get-go, I would take them back. I will never forget my first pair of professionally fitted running shoes. I had no idea they could feel that good!

Also, I have found "my" shoes on clearance at Sports Authority and other places and have never had problems. I know the brand and model and how they should feel, so if I can find them for $39 at SA then I'm a happy camper. If I can't find them there though, you bet I will pay the regular price for them at a running store. It's more than worth it.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

OK, this is a stupid question, but when they fit you for shoes, does theshoe store need to know how much you weigh? I don't want to share that info.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote