Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/193/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Alcohol

I've been counting calories pretty religiously since January 1st. I love math and statistics, so I weigh in every morning when I get up and keep a detailed spreadsheet with daily calorie counts and weights. The spreadsheet lets me track weekly and monthly averages with pretty graphs so that even if I’m up for a day or two I can still see the trend going down.

I’ve noticed something strange. While my weight loss trend generally follows my calorie intake fairly closely, I get two kinds of blips. One comes around once a month (any guesses anyone? , but the second kind happens whenever I drink alcohol. When I’m not counting calories I average about 1-2 drinks a week, so I assumed I still could as long as I counted them and drank enough water to rehydrate.

But although my monthly blips even back out after a few days and are less noticeable when I up my water intake, the alcohol related ones don’t. I track whatever I eat when I drink (and we’re talking a single drink here, so I do remember in the morning) and drink more water, but those single drinks still cause my weight to go up for a day, then drop after that, but never back to the lowest point.

It annoyed me until I figured out what was causing it, and it doesn’t seem to make sense, but then weight loss is hardly an exact science. Anyway – it won’t stop me from having my occasional drink, but I thought it was interesting enough to share with you all.
Areia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Whenever I drink alcohol, I'm always down a couple lbs.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #3  

Bodies are strange...

Do those couple of pounds stay off, or do they come back over the following days?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

Sometimes they stay off, sometimes they come back. It just depends on how my diet is afterwards really!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/119

Height: 5ft2

my weight is always down after a night out when iv drunk alcohol but iv been told its due to my body being dehydrated. it usually goes back up again the next day .

Last edited by clarelou; 03-12-2009 at 02:25 PM.
clarelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #6  
Meow

To be honest, I think you go down a couple of lbs because your body gets dehydrated. I have noticed that as well (as long as I didn't eat like a fiend while drinking)

but if I feel extremely dehydrated in the morning, I will be down at least 1 lb guaranteed!
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #7  

I definitely agree on the hydration levels, they can make several pounds difference in the short term.

What surprised me was that my weight would stay above the point I was at before drinking alcohol, rather than evening out again. During periods where my calorie intake stayed the same, I would to go up after drinking, then over the next few days lose that weight, plus my normal average loss for eating reduced calories. Instead I go up, then drop back to my pre-alcohol weight plus an extra pound, and then have to start from there again.

This isn't a one-off either. In my case it's a trend I see whenever I drink alcohol.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #8  

I've dropped weight after a night of a couple of drinks, which is quickly erased after I've rehydrated. I don't have any clue about your blip.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/199/174

Height: 5'-11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
Whenever I drink alcohol, I'm always down a couple lbs.
same here
juls64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I used to be that way until I hit about 35ish...then the weight just PILED on and alcohol was a major contributing factor...though I was drinking entirely too much.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #11  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Drinking definitely causes me to gain too...unless I have a REALLY bad night (I try to keep those to a minimum ).
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote