Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #1  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Losing My Job

Hi fellow chicks, I come in here today with a real heavy heart. On monday, I was given a two week notice because the company that I was working for no longer has enough funds to keep people on payroll, and I'm the one they chose to be cut. It was a decision that was based on who was the most convenient because I was still on probation and because production is down with all the budget cuts and everything, they do not need someone in my position anymore.

I guess stuff like that is happening all around the world.

For the most part of the week I've been crying my heart out. I feel unjustified, because I know that I have been putting in more work and more heart than others in the company, but instead I'm the one that has to go. Also, I've grown very close to my colleagues over the past five months and it'll be very hard leaving them. We'll stay in touch, I'm sure, but it won't be the same.

Now I'm completely unmotivated to do anything. Like, I'll rather stay home and sulk and mope than go for a run. The good thing is I haven't been bingeing, which given a couple of months back I'll probably down a pizza, a ton of fries and cake and whatever else by now.

I completely feel like a failure now in this aspect. I've tried my hardest to make myself worth keeping employed, and yet I've failed. The feeling is translating into the weight loss aspect of my life too. Like I'll do everything right and nothing will happen. I've failed in that aspect too.

Okay end rant, I'm just looking for some love.

Hope you guys are better off than I am right now.
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #2  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Please don't take your lay-off personally. It's quite common to lay off the last one hired. I know the economy is awful now so it's not a reflection on your work ethic. Dry up your tears and start looking for a new job. You may find something in a different field altogether. But whatever you do don't take out your disappointment in junk food because that will only make you feel worse. Come here and post often and get and give encouragement. I'm sure there are lots of chicks here who are in the same dilemma and maybe you can help each other get through this difficult time.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 136.0/Shrinking/68.0 kilograms

Height: 173 cm (5'8")

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your job! But don't say that you've failed! I mean, the cutbacks were out of your control, as is the fact that being the "new girl" you were the first to go. It's not fair in the least bit that this has happened, but it most definately is not your failure!

I'm also jobless right now...the company I've been with for the past 8 years closed down completely due to the housing market slump in NZ. I moved to Australia in January in the hope of finding work, but no luck so far. So stressful and frustrating!

All anyone can do is stick it out and keep trying.
(Same goes for weight loss and fitness, right?)

Maybe once you're all cried out, you can take all the hurt and disappointment, get mad about the whole situation, and take all your frustrations out at the gym Beatings!

I don't really know what to say...But keep fighting for what you want; control the controllables and try to let the rest go.

Things will get better! They always do!

Last edited by Helena; 03-12-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: can't spell!
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Please don't take the lay off personally. You've got to let it go and focus your energy on finding something else.

I'm jobless right now too. My situation is a bit different. I left my company. I was transferred to another dept back in Nov, not given an interview or job description, had no training, no one spent time with me...I was just thrown into it while working 12-14hours a day for two weeks and not allowed any time off during those two weeks. I asked for help and management turned it around and ripped me to shredds saying I couldn't do the job. I realized that my days were numbered as they were already gearing up for another round of lay offs. I knew they wouldn't let me stay long enough to be laid off and saw the writing on the wall that I was set up to be fired. I decided that HOW I left the company was more important. Tell a future employor I left because the company and industry are unstable and I want to move on with my life or tell them that I was fired.

So that being said...dry those tears and don't take your anger out on your body! Use this time to focus on eating a healthy diet, exercising and job hunting. The job market is NOT hopeless! Job hunting is like speghetti, you have to throw your resume on the wall as see what sticks. I 'm waiting for feedback on a temp job that if all goes well may lead to something permanent. The agency is expecting feedback by the end of this week!

Keep your fingers crossed and please send me some luck!

Jenn

Last edited by Violin Jenn; 03-12-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #5  
Waiting for summer

S/C/G: 255.5/248.5/190

Height: 5'10

How are you feeling today, jinxx? Thats awful...but just know that you are not alone!!!! Also know that you dont have to give up on your diet because of this...you do still have control over that!!
aaneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Don't beat yourself up over this ~ this is happening everywhere! Being laid off was a company decision based on the bottom line -- $$$, not on your performance!!! This is normal business practice to lay off the newest employees ~ it's all based on a timed-honored tradition called 'Seniority' ...

I have been in your situation more than once: worked my butt off for a company and then they laid off all the newbies. The next year, they didn't bother rehiring any workers; cut backs, cut backs, cut backs: this is all about making more profits. It's a ripple effect ~ one or two industries have a production slow down, and it's like a snowball going down a hill and gets bigger and bigger.

The car industry can't sell vehicles becuz they were priced too high, and the banks stopped giving out loans becuz of the housing fiascal (overpriced homes sold to naive buyers). One person loses their job and they lose the house; and others were down right scammed. This started the whole thing: then no-one is building or buying, and everyone is affected -- people tighten their belts and stop going out to dinner or movies or buying anything; and then retail and food service companies have to lay off staff too ...

After one layoff, I went back to college for a second time, taking a one-year business course that was sponsored by the government; and it helped me learn a lot about money management. We always put away some money each pay for a rainy day (like future layoffs or illness); and this helped us even when our income was very low or almost non-existent.

We all have to ride these times out the best we can ~ but do not wait to look for a new job; start tomorrow morning. Be flexible; you can try a related field or start your own business too. Make it a job to find a job: look in the mornings and do call-backs and interviews for the afternoons. Don't wait for them to call you, you call them back within 1-2 weeks of the interviews, and ask them how long it will be before they make a decision.

NETWORK ~ tell all your family, friends, ex co-workers, neighbours, church family, etc that you are looking and for what. Look on the net too; lots of government jobs are put there; and look or put an ad on grocery or laundry bulletin boards or even newspapers. Look in malls and new complexes, and go for a walk in the downtown section, and look for signs in windows; many jobs are put up that way.

Keep busy, and pretend this extra time is just a temporary vacation time; this helped me keep a more positive outlook. At first, I went down to the employment office every business day, but they told me 1-2 times a week was sufficient; and here's a tip ... they say they get most new listings on Mondays and Fridays!

On top of all that, I also prayed a lot too! We are praying for everyone we know that gets laid off during this time, to either find another job (even part-time to get through) or start a new business. Many people will end up starting new businesses, and that turns out to be good for everyone, in the end ... GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-12-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #7  
Rubber Ducky

S/C/G: 341/307/135

It isn't your fault. You did the best you could. But don't let this tough time get you down. Do the best you can, keep focused, and keep your head in the game. I'm rooting for you.
glitterducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I'm so sorry for this, Lizzie! As others have said, please don't think that you've failed. You haven't! So much of this was completely out of your control - in fact, what you could control (your job performance and initative) was good. Hopefully your supervisor will be able to give you a good letter of reference.

I'm currently "underemployed" and understand the heartache. Please keep in touch with us, or whoever your support system is. It's going to be really important to not isolate yourself right now, which may be very tempting.

Let us know how you're doing, when you can!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixximajig View Post
I completely feel like a failure now in this aspect. I've tried my hardest to make myself worth keeping employed, and yet I've failed. The feeling is translating into the weight loss aspect of my life too.

Okay end rant, I'm just looking for some love.
YOU did not fail the job... the JOB failed YOU!

There is a huge distinction between the two!

And remember the old adage ...
"When one door closes, another door opens."

Because of this disappointment you could be sent in a different direction that you wouldn't have gone and in a year from now you might look back and see that this might have been the best thing that ever happened to you!

That is the beautiful thing about life... it is SO unpredictable...

Last edited by flatiron; 03-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #10  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

It's not your fault at all! don't let yourself feel bad- it was out of your control. I am jobless too right now... been looking for a while. Just remember, when one door closes, another one opens
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Layoffs happen, and later on, re-hiring happens. Of course you're sad and hurt, but don't take it personally. It's not that you failed! No way!

Make sure you let them know that you want to come back as soon as they can fill the position again! Stay in touch with them!

And stay with your weight loss plan as well... You want to look as good as you can for those interviews you'll be going on. One door seems to close, but another one opens! You work for YOU, not for anyone else.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I know it's no comfort to know that you're not alone in this, but reading the news headlines has to help. It's not your fault. You're not defective. You'll be able to do well on another job, once you've found it. You'll look back on this years from now & remember it as a difficult time that you got through. (At this point, if you were here with me, I'd play Aretha Franklin singing "How I Got Over" to inspire you a little.)

I've seen enough of these posts where I think maybe we ought to start a "Recession Victim" subforum where the unemployed can meet & offer support for one another's job hunting efforts & encouraging one another to keep up their healthy habits in spite of the stress they're doubtless experiencing.

And who knows, maybe I'll be joining them eventually. My company's always had a free hand with layoffs. I've gotten a lot of long farewell e-mails from colleagues in my 10 years here. Someone else in my department was let go during the first round of our layoffs, back in early February, but there are rumors regarding a second round occurring at the end of this month. Nearly everyone's vulnerable, in this economy.

Last edited by saef; 03-12-2009 at 01:26 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

This happened to me about 8 years ago. I had been teaching in an elementary school for two years... budget cuts for the next school year made it necessary to cut my position. There were teachers there who had started mid year that year who got to keep their position while I was losing mine. I was unemployed all summer long and finally got a teaching job at the middle school in August two weeks before school started. I felt so sick all summer long. Like what could i have done different. But you know what it wasn't my fault, there just wasn't money for my position anymore. To make a long story short it all worked out wonderful for me. I hurried to finish my M Ed in school counseling because I hated teaching middle school! lol!! The next year I landed a job in guidance at an elementary school 5 mins from my house and I love my job!

Sometimes we can't see the big picture only what is happening in the here and now. I just know that something wonderful is waiting for you in your future. (((hugs)))

Last edited by maryshady; 03-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Oh jeez, I am sorry. Like everyone else has said you are not a failure, it is the economy that has failed.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I am so sorry you are going thru this awful time. It happened to me too but I was blind sided. Take comfort in knowing many of us have been there and are with you. I agree that great things are coming and you should take care of yourself. Work out those feelings in the gym! Or by going on a run/walk, just get moving. It will get better!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote