Whole Foods Lifestyle - Current food obsessions?

View Full Version : Current food obsessions?

Glory87
03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I had roasted brussel sprouts two days in a row. I just rinse them, cut them in half, spray some PAM in a metal pan, drizzle a tbs of olive oil over them (shake the pan), grind on some salt and pepper, bake for 30 minutes on 400 (shaking the pan in the middle).

They were AMAZING.

mandalinn82
03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Asparagus. It's in season here and soooo good. Our local produce stand has bunches of thin asparagus for 99 cents a pound, and we've been buying bunches every week. I roast mine with sea salt and homemade lemon-pepper, or toss after roasting with a mix of garlic, parsley, lemon, salt, and pepper.

corazonas
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
It's been a LONG time since I've tried brussel sprouts... but I have shocked myself to no end about what things I like to eat now. I think I will be trying to make this very soon...

As for me, I have become all about the healthy fats lately. I used to live on packaged foods and 100 cal packs and whatnot but I hardly ever even eat that anymore. I've been making lots of stuff with pesto, tapenade, artichoke spread, stuffed olives, nuts... not all in one sitting of course but definitely lots of mediterranean influence lately.

Glory87
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh - and the reverse - foods I am not happy with.

Trader Joe's Banana Waffles

Disappointing lack of banana-iness. Next time, Im just going to buy regular waffles and slice bananas and put them on top.

LittleMoonRabbit
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Steel cut oats with 1 tbl of raw almond butter, 1/2 banana mashed and cinnamon. It tastes like I am eating banana nut bread. Yum yum yum. I can't get enough of it!

Thighs Be Gone
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
smashed cauliflower

Canada Dry Lemon Lime (0 calories) with a splash of red wine

golden flaxseed

Violin Jenn
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
my current obsession....

roasted salted almonds!

Nada
03-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Mandalinn I'm jealous of your asparagus prices! Still high here. Still working on winter squashes in this neck of the woods. Butternut squash: I could eat it every day with a different spice on it (cinnamon, allspice, cloves etc.)

mizski
03-11-2009, 05:47 PM
My current food obsession is homemade breads. I bought one of those Zojirushi mini bread machines that makes 1# loaves and have been experimenting with all kinds of grains and making breads with fruit or veggies in them.

shrinkingviolet
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I've been drinking green juice: cucumber, celery, spinach, a handful of Southern greens (Trader Joe's), brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, ginger, and an apple or a pear. It tastes very healthy.

mamaspank
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
My latest are blackberries, cantaloupe, and pineapple. I snack on fruit endlessly and practically have to choke down vegis just to get in my servings every day. I just got off my honey/whole wheat english muffin kick. I was on a french toast and sf syrup kick for about two months last summer however. I was able to whittle it down to a 3-point meal for four pieces of toast. I would also like to say how much I love Pringles fat free potato chips. That is my favorite junk food as of late. I second the asparagus craze. I also love sf popsicles.

Onsecondthought
03-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Eggo multigrain waffles with peanut butter and sliced bananas

saef
03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Roasted broccoli with spices sprinkled over it

Smoked Spanish paprika (see above, but it's better on roasted cauliflower)

Chobani plain nonfat yogurt (more affordable right now for me than Fage)

Anything maple flavored, with the real stuff or artificial maple flavoring (sorry, I know this is the whole foods group :ducks:)

MugCanDoIt
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Roasted salted soy nuts, awesome and low fat and low carb!

Roasted Cauliflour--yum!

Kashi frozen dinners for lunch!

Boiled eggs, cant ever get enough, ever! Dont eat but like two yolks, the rest egg whites.

river
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
roasted green beans, asparagus or brussel sprouts with olive oil, sea salt and pepper and roasted salmon sprayed with butter pam, lemon juice, dill and s&p

river
03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
oh, and rice with scrambled eggs and egg whites, and english muffins w/pb and sliced bananas, apples and cheese, and amy's bean and rice burritos

newleaf123
03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Tilapia steamed in a combination of water, olive oil, and white wine with asparagus thrown in. I'm EAGERLY awaiting the start of asparagus season here...

tammay
03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Gotta be whole grains :D. I'm trying to lose weight and I've been on McDougall's plan the past month. The basis of the plan is whole grains (and no added fat, which took some getting used to). So I'm eating a ton of whole grains, especially brown rice, whole grain couscous, and shredded wheat cereal. Whole grains cooked in water and a tsp of veggie soup mix (mine is from abroad, where they add a lot less sodium than the American brands) which gives them a nice flavor. I'm finding I really love simple grains without too many flavors.

Tam

Priscatip
03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Roasted garbanzo beans with grill seasoning on them. Delish. That and this chicken sausage with apples (like 130 calories per sausage!) - perfect for my pasta dishes or with peppers and onions.

corazonas
03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
hey pris, how long do you roast the beans? what brand grill seasoning- like mccormicks?

mmm i have to add cheese. i have ALWAYS loved cheese but recently started trying all the different wonderful full fat cheeses. i LOVE eating a nice little chunk of GOOD cheese.

zenor77
03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm all about roasted green chile right now! I love New Mexico.

We bought 30 lbs of extra-hot chile to freeze last September and we've been going through it fast. In fact, I've got a pot of green chile stew bubbling away on the stove while I type.

Su-Bee
03-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm crazy about canned pumpkin lately. Canned pumpkin mixed w/ cottage cheese, w/vanilla yogurt, or the BEST MILKSHAKE EVER - 1/2 c. canned pumpkin, 1/2 c. lite vanilla yogurt, 1/2 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, bit of cinnamon, Splenda to taste - only 105 calories, so I can even have TWO!

Priscatip
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Corazonas -
I drain them out of the can and then dry them off, then use grill seasoning (yeah, mine is spicy steak from McCormick's), then about 30 minutes at 375 degrees. They're done with they are golden brown and crunchy. According to my can of beans, 1/2 cup is 120 cals. Awesome on salads instead of croutons or just out of a bowl.

MomtoThree
03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
My current obsession is a smashed banana mixed with natural PB, cocoa and topped with uncooked old fashioned oatmeal. I know it does not sound great but it reminds me of a PB chocolate oatmeal cookie I use to eat.

rockinrobin
03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I had roasted brussel sprouts two days in a row. I just rinse them, cut them in half, spray some PAM in a metal pan, drizzle a tbs of olive oil over them (shake the pan), grind on some salt and pepper, bake for 30 minutes on 400 (shaking the pan in the middle).

They were AMAZING.

I've got them in the oven right this very minute. We eat them every single week here. I make them very similiar. I use onion and garlic powders though and elmiinate the oil. Sometimes, if I'm not lazy, 1/2 way through cooking, I'll add in some fresh crushed garlic. SO good. Yumm.

Asparagus. It's in season here and soooo good. Our local produce stand has bunches of thin asparagus for 99 cents a pound, and we've been buying bunches every week. I roast mine with sea salt and homemade lemon-pepper, or toss after roasting with a mix of garlic, parsley, lemon, salt, and pepper.

Yes, the asparagus has been amazing lately. But I'm paying $1.99 a lb. It's worth it though. We'll be having it tomorrow night, as we do practically every single Friday night. I lay it out on a roasting pan sprayed with cooking spray, sprinkle on about a tablespoon of flavored bread crumbs, garlic and onion powders and a little sea salt, more cooking spray. DELISH!

I'm crazy about canned pumpkin lately. Canned pumpkin mixed w/ cottage cheese, w/vanilla yogurt, or the BEST MILKSHAKE EVER - 1/2 c. canned pumpkin, 1/2 c. lite vanilla yogurt, 1/2 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, bit of cinnamon, Splenda to taste - only 105 calories, so I can even have TWO!

Su-Bee, this sounds really good. Just one thing, originally you said cottage cheese and then when you give the amounts - there isn't any. Do you mean it can be made with or without the cottage cheese? :?:

Simona
03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Roasted garbanzo beans with grill seasoning on them.

My mom used to make these, but she's roast them in a dry pan on the stove with vinegar, salt and pepper. They were SO good. I think I'll make some tonight! Thanks for reminding me of these. I havent had them in years!

Su-Bee
03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Robin -
Sorry, I was kind of listing 3 diff recipes! The first two are just mixing pumpkin w/ EITHER cottage cheese OR yogurt.

The 105-calorie wonder shake is 1/2 cup each of f/f lite vanilla yogurt, canned pumpkin, & s/f almond milk, w/ Splenda & cinnamon to taste.

BlueToBlue
03-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Oat bran: The best part of oatmeal. Love this stuff, could eat it every day.
Thai bok choi and other Asian greens: I recently discovered the wealth of Asian greens available at my farmers' market and have been eating them raw in salads.
Baby turnips: So smooth and creamy, I also eat them raw in salads.
Kohlrabi: So crisp, like jicama but better and lower in calories. Another salad ingredient for me.
Broccoli raab: Except that I can't find it anywhere. If I could find it, I guarantee I'd be eating a lot of it.
Pickled eggs: I recently hit upon the idea of reusing leftover pickle juice for hard-boiled eggs. Right now I have eggs pickling in juice left over from wasabi green bean pickles and pickled plums. Both are yummy!
Frozen waffles: I've been eating them topped with a 60-calorie pudding cup for a sweet snack in the evenings.

This isn't exactly healthy, but I've also become obsessed with Indian desserts. There is a chaat restaurant close by that has a huge selection. Of course, I have to eat them in moderation and only once in a while as a treat. There's no nutritional information available for them, but I have to assume it's bad. As far as I can tell, most are made out of whole milk and various nut meals.

Su-Bee
03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Pickled eggs rock.

Blue, how do you prepare the kohlrabi? Just cut off the hard outer stuff & then slice & eat raw? It's always been sort of a mystery vegetable for me.

BlueToBlue
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Blue, how do you prepare the kohlrabi? Just cut off the hard outer stuff & then slice & eat raw? It's always been sort of a mystery vegetable for me.

Yeah, that's mostly what I do with it. It's best to look for ones that are smaller, because I think they are usually a little tenderer, which is better for eating them raw. The large ones can get a little tough and stringy--they're still fine for cooking, but not as good raw.

Kohlrabi is related to turnips, so I think you could do anything with it that you normally do with turnips. I put it in soups and have roasted it with other root vegetables. It's a nice low calorie addition to any mixture of root vegetables (kohlrabi has 8 calories per ounce, compared to potatoes at 25 calories per ounce, parsnips at 21 calories per ounce, and carrots at 12 calories per ounce). You also could braise it in a small amount of chicken broth and then toss it with a little fat free half and half and/or light butter (and salt and pepper to taste) for a simple side dish.

saef
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Broccoli raab is all over the place here right now, because I live in an area where there are a lot of Italian-Americans, and it's still Lent. Costs about $2.99 a pound regularly, but the stores have been having sales for as low as $1.49 a pound. As my landlady explains it to me, this is a key ingredient in one of the pasta dishes that's often served during lent.

I should have listed it here, because I like that bittersweet taste -- but I spent a lot of time in front of my kitchen sink last Sunday, washing out four pounds of the stuff, then trimming the stems & peeling them. By the end, my fingers were wrinkled from cold water & I had greenish black rimming all my fingernails. So I'm sort of "over it" right now.

rockinrobin
03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Robin -
Sorry, I was kind of listing 3 diff recipes! The first two are just mixing pumpkin w/ EITHER cottage cheese OR yogurt.

The 105-calorie wonder shake is 1/2 cup each of f/f lite vanilla yogurt, canned pumpkin, & s/f almond milk, w/ Splenda & cinnamon to taste.

My bad. Don't know why I didn't get that you were talking about 3 different things :dizzy:. Thanks for clearing it up.

kittycat40
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM

They were AMAZING.

I am wild and crazy about roasted brocolli these days. I spray a very large roasting pan with Pam. Dump out a bunch of fresh florets (we're talking 1/2 of a costco sized bag). Spray again with Pam. Finger pinch several bits of powdered garlic to cover. Sea salt and black pepper by mill.
roast in oven on convection bake (speeds things up) for 20-30min and have a mmmmm fingerlickin good veggie!

I eat them hot, room temp and from the fridge. :)

my little guys will have some also, if they are not too blackened.

midwife
03-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Kitty, I made your broccoli tonight. So good!!!

Hyacinth
03-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Pickle juice.

mandalinn82
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Hyacinth - then you'll LOVE this, for summer:

http://www.bobspicklepops.com/

Picklesicles!

Hyacinth
03-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh my gosh, yum! And I bet nobody would steal them from the work refrigerator, either.

JulieJ08
03-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh my gosh, yum! And I bet nobody would steal them from the work refrigerator, either.

Well, at least not twice!

mandalinn82
03-25-2009, 12:50 AM
My sister LOVES them. She swears by pickle juice as a cure for the sore throat, so FROZEN pickle juice was the ultimate soother.

DiaDona
03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm obsessed with brussel sprouts roasted with olive oil and sundried tomatoes. Yum!

WaterRat
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Well, Mrs. Bucket, you'd probably love my hot pickled snap peas as well! :)

I love roasted brussel sprouts too, and asparagus in any form.

My recent obsession was a wonderful sushi restaurant in Kodiak, AK where I was for a conference a couple weeks ago. I was with a group of folks who knew what to order. I ate wonderful rolls, and a black cod marinated in sweet miso to die for... I ate there 3 times in 5 days - basically all the meals that were not provided at the conference. :) Need to find a place closer to home....

losingnyc
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a few food obsessions right now:

Quinoa - make a large amt at beginning of week and have it as a dinner side, over salad and with milk and a little maple syrup in the AM

Almond butter - wish I had known about this sooner- delish! I put it in a smoothie with protein, banana and milk or add it to the AM quinoa. Also just on toast

Portobello mushroom caps - I put salsa, scallions, and mozarella cheese in them and bake in oven for 15 mins.

Thanks for this thread - I have gotten some good ideas :)

BabyFatGone
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Trader Joe's European style yogurt in mocha or chocolate flavor. Great mid morning snack for 130 calories with 8 g of protein. It does not have any artificial sweeteners and is a lot less sweet than dannon or other yogurts. Been having one every day.

blueberry3
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I've been addicted to greek yogurt with granola in it - I bring 2 cups in a day for snacks before and after lunch.

Helps me stay calm, cool and collected when I get the inevitable "free cookies on the counter" email - it makes those *much* easier to resist when I'm kept full by the yogurt snacks :)

kittycat40
04-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Kitty, I made your broccoli tonight. So good!!!

just seeing this :)

My other obsession is lowerfat broc cheese soup found in the south beach forum. I loooooooooooove it. Every week I make a huuuge batch.

WaterRat
04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
My current obsession is a smashed banana mixed with natural PB, cocoa and topped with uncooked old fashioned oatmeal. I know it does not sound great but it reminds me of a PB chocolate oatmeal cookie I use to eat.

Kinda like a no-bake cookie - :drool:

SweetScrumptious
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
My other obsession is lowerfat broc cheese soup found in the south beach forum. I loooooooooooove it. Every week I make a huuuge batch.

I tried looking for this but couldn't find it. Can you post a link for me?

MotoMichelle
04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Currently obsessed with yams/sweet potatoes. I just bake them and then sprinkle with stevia. Yummm!

kittycat40
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I tried looking for this but couldn't find it. Can you post a link for me?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51890

:)

my version is saute lg onion, add frozen 20 oz of broc and 20 oz cauliflower, 8 oz lowfat cc, 32 oz chicken stock lfls, 1 can rotel and a few tblspoons salsa

simmer x 30-40 min and immersion blend. mmmmmm.

cassieroll
04-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I love roasted veggies and am always roasting something.

bitetoobreakkskin
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
might sound a little strange, but i like boiled eggs & mustard...kinda like a deviled egg but without the fattening stuff..my husband says im weird haha.

angeleyezx
04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
porridge oats cooked with water and added applesauce

angeleyezx
04-17-2009, 07:37 PM
extra light cream cheese

NorCal Jen
04-17-2009, 07:49 PM
My current obsession is scrambled eggs w/ spinach, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Delish!

Mummy_Tummy
04-19-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm cooking the soup in the post above as I type and the smell is heavenly! It's just fresh chopped broccli, half a tin of chopped tomatoes and light chicken stock simmering away but it smells like a restaraunt in here! I'll add the cheese in a bit and can't wait to try it. My mouth is watering already.

Ija
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Grilled cheese using Kashi Golean waffles instead of bread.

Egg, cheese, and canadian bacon on Kashi Golean waffles.

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches made with Kashi Golean waffles.

Lately, anything with Kashi Golean waffles...

saef
04-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Roasted broccoli with cumin, garlic powder & a bit of coriander

midwife
04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51890

:)

my version is saute lg onion, add frozen 20 oz of broc and 20 oz cauliflower, 8 oz lowfat cc, 32 oz chicken stock lfls, 1 can rotel and a few tblspoons salsa

simmer x 30-40 min and immersion blend. mmmmmm.

Intriguing.....yes, thank you for posting that....

srmb60
04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Celery, believe it or not. I'll bet I've eaten five heads in less than two weeks.

rockinrobin
04-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I love roasted veggies and am always roasting something.

Me too! My fridge is always full of veggies and I've always got something roasting away in the over.

Roasted broccoli with cumin, garlic powder & a bit of coriander

Me too. Only I use cumin, chilli powder, garlic and onion powder.

Celery, believe it or not. I'll bet I've eaten five heads in less than two weeks.

I used to hate celery. It was more in the mind though. I used to think of it as a real "diet" food. But while chopping it up a while ago, I popped some into my mouth and I really like it. I eat it a lot now. Not 5 heads worth in 2 weeks time mind you, but a lot. ;)

bobblefrog
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Sprouted grains toast, Naturally Better peanut butter and sliced bananas - oh and two cups of coffee with 2% milk - it's my stability breakfast (keeps me from getting the shakes). It also gets me walking faster that last fifteen minutes to get home every morning. Needless to say though I have to really watch my fat the rest of the day.

And lately - Rudi's organic whole wheat hotdog bun with stoneground mustard, onions, Bubbies saurkraut, and here's the splurge - a Boulder sausage brat. I have to mention the name brands because it's EXACTLY that combination to make it all taste right! I have to do extra exercise the day we have that to make up for the Old Chub I have to have to wash it down with. I couldn't do this if I gave up EVERYTHING I love. Just have to count it in there. Hey - and the saurkraut is like 2 calories and has all that raw yummy probiotics. That makes everything else have less calories too, right? LOL

Christian
04-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I am obsessed about tangelos :lol: for real I could eat a whole bag at one sitting, which I dont...but I could ;) I am also eating tons of beans with brown rice, it is delicious!

Glory87
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm addicted to tangelos too :)

judipurple
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My homemade yogurt. I got the idea here, and have been having fun making my own greek style yogurt, and the lactose-free style for youngest son. Yeah, it takes a bit of work, but it is MUCH cheaper to make than to buy (especially the lactose-free - soy yogurt is bigga $$$). And the "moment of truth" when I open the container after letting it "cook" - happy dance to see yogurt!!:carrot:

Silly, to be sure - but it's like when I first started making sourdough bread, or started canning pickles, jams, and such - that proud moment when you realize that "It Worked!!!"

craftykath
04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
A pitcher of filtered ice-cold water with cucumbers and a little mint soaked in it overnight. Incredibly refreshing and it reduces my cravings for Diet Coke.

x0me880x
04-29-2009, 01:37 AM
I am amazed at foods that I would never touch, I now find that I love.

I used to be disgusted with Asparagus and now LOVE it. I also used to hate brussel sprouts, I should try them, chances are I would like them now lol.

I've also been eatting too much broccoli. Just boiled with a bit of seasoning (that probably shouldnt be on there). It's sooo tasty.

iris
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
I put spinach in pretty much everything I make these days. I love it. I could eat palak tofu forever.

greengrass
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Dole frozen cherries!

freshmanweightorbust
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Steamed Napa cabbage and mushrooms and green onions with a peanut butter sauce I make with soysauce and sugar-free sweetener. Kind of reminds me of Phad Thai in flavor, minus the noodles, of course. :) I'm eating some right now with a scrambled egg mixed up in it. A huge bowl of it is under 200 calories!

kittycat40
05-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Steamed Napa cabbage and mushrooms and green onions with a peanut butter sauce I make with soysauce and sugar-free sweetener. Kind of reminds me of Phad Thai in flavor, minus the noodles, of course. :) I'm eating some right now with a scrambled egg mixed up in it. A huge bowl of it is under 200 calories!

I am going to try that-- my thai sitter has a jar of pad thai sauce sitting in the fridge!! Do you steam them in the micro? I wonder if I sauteed the cabbage and mushrooms in pam with a tiny bit of oil. her pad thai sauce does not have a real peanut buttery taste tho. Maybe I'll do your version. Sounds like a great meal :) thx

digitalrequiem
05-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I recently discovered the wonders of Quinoa. It is so versatile and it tastes so close to rice (to me) that I can substitute it and not feel like I'm giving up rice.

Also, I'm loving the Kashi shredded wheat Island Vanilla cereal. It has less than 12grams of sugar per serving and no sodium. I was amazed with how many 'healthy' breakfast cereals contained huge amounts of sugar and sodium. The kashi stuff is healthy and tasty!

srmb60
05-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Avocado! My daughter was feeding it to her little one and I thought hmmm. I love it chopped in salad, smeared on a wrap, plain by the spoon, smashed on cracker, smashed for veggie dip ...

biosci02
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Kashi Peanut Peanut Butter granola bars. I can't stop eating them....

ICUwishing
05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm with Susan. I'm on a wild avocado kick right now. Something about filling the halves with homemade salsa and squeezing a lime over it - or naked with nothin' but hot sauce, or pepper ... mmmmm!!!!

Glory87
05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Cherries from the local farmer's market. Oh god, they are so good.

Thighs Be Gone
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Blueberries this week were SENSATIONAL! Last week it was the blackberries.

I just ate a 1/2 a bag of waffle sliced carrots doused with balsamic vinegar.

Last night I made salmon patties (yep, yet again) and put them on the grill. GOD is SO GOOD.

Thighs Be Gone
05-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh, also LOVING smashed cauliflower with pico de gayo dumped all over it! I know, I know--but I swear it's good.

Me Too
05-26-2009, 09:30 PM
my new favorite food for this week at least is
sauted mushrooms,onion, and spinach topped with feta cheese. YUM