Alternachicks - Alternachick Rewards

View Full Version : Alternachick Rewards

Gypsy Severina
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I rely HEAVILY on rewards (besides good health, higher self-esteem, and better fitness) to motivate me to get to my goals. I've been so out of it that I'm making an air-tight plan to end the yo-yoing including ways to deal with eating out. I'm trying to think of some really fun and out-there ways to reward myself, something besides CDs and movies and new workout gear or clothes. So far I have:

A weekend trip to Disney World (with a new bathing suit)
An old-timey photo
Pottery classes
Pagan supplies
Seeing a musical
New romance novels and a small Starbucks something

All this stuff is great, I just want some more original ideas. What have all of you done for motivation?

jandaman
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
donno if this is any more original *sheepish grin*but:

tattoo(s)
new piercing(s)
hot stone massage
trip to hot springs/roman sauna
foot reflexology massage
confectionery course
southwest tour w/my baby
spa weekend in the alps

Aiela
03-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Right now I'm focusing on small rewards - I'm putting together a charm bracelet with a charm for every five pounds lost, and each charm has something to do with when I lost it - I lost the first five pounds in February so I got a heart charm, etc. They're cheap silver-plated charms - the steel bracelet and first charm cost me less than $5 - but its something I see every time I reach for food, to remind me to make healthy choices.

Right now, if I lose that first 40 pounds, I will consider that reward enough. :)

rachinma
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
New piercings
Massages/facials
Vacation
New clothes
New shoes
Personal training package

bopeep
03-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Rewards are good motivators for me too. At first, my rewards were things I had been denying myself, like a chocolate croissant or cake. But now, I don't really want them as much- partly I don't like how I feel after I eat them, but also because I think it's kind of self-sabotaging to have to lose weight in order to eat things that make me gain weight...

Things I have bought recently as rewards:

CD - Rachid Taha 'Made in Medina'
New plant (I'm a plantaholic)

Things I plan on buying as future rewards:

Henna tattoo (not 'black henna', I know:D)
Shiatsu massage
Nice new bathing suit - a tankini (gasp!)

Aiela - that charm bracelet is a neat idea!

BP

Gypsy Severina
03-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I've been trying to get a permanent Henna-style tattoo on my ankle now, but maybe I'll put it off as my first reward for losing 10% of my current weight. I hadn't thought about the charm bracelet idea, it sounds like something I'd like to do, although the only place I can think of getting them off the top of my head is Claires.

beesknees
03-13-2009, 01:28 AM
As a reward for 20 lbs lost, I'm about to buy myself a real STEP! It's nice, like the ones they have in the gym...

Umm... some other ideas:

new Tanita scale with all the bells and whistles
a few sessions with a trainer
spa trip!
ukulele - (sorta kinda counts - will be combo birthday/40 lbs... hubby has already promised!)
and a new wardrobe for GOAL, of course!

lizziep
03-13-2009, 03:57 AM
I've been tossing around the idea of doing a reward tattoo when i meet my final goal.. but I'm not sure. I'm already rewarding myself with a tattoo for another great personal achievement this summer so i may have to think about that a bit.

I'm going to reward my first 20 lbs lost with a trip to get my hair did. :D I have always ALWAYS wanted to have black hair w/ bright red streaks and just never did it. well i think i'm gonna get a cut and dye as a reward. i can't wait.

beyond that i haven't got a clue other then the awesome reward of getting some new clothes, feeling better about myself, etc.

bobblefrog
04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I love these ideas - the charm bracelet especially Aiela! I'm doing victory laps around the grocery store with bags of sugar for every 5 lbs lost. Of course within another month or two I won't be carrying those bags but wheeling them around in the buggy. Or maybe I'll graduate as I lose weight to 30 lbs of dog food!

I've also got the tattoo, bathing suit, belly button piercing and punk haircut on the list...and a trip, a grillout where I'm not counting calories, contact lenses, running shoes, yoga clothes and a membership to the studio, $50 and the thrift store for new clothes (all the funky cool clothes are always the smaller sizes), sexy black boots when my calves can squeeze into a pair again (that'll be about goal - I have muscular calves even thin), teeth whitening kit, new makeup...basically have a reward for myself every five lbs. Because every five lbs is a real challenge and deserves a pat on the back!

And while my diet is about health - for the rewards - a lot about this is looks, because I am "gaining attitude". Want the inner punk to show on the outside. Tired of being middle-aged, frumpy and milktoast!

My final reward is a trip down to a resort in the tropics for at least a week. I can't post my ticker yet, but I set it up - a hulu girl on a beach ;-)

Riverite
04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
All of these are such great reward ideas! I'm planning on stealing some of them.

Lately, I'm trying to concentrate on non monetary rewards (boo..economy...) that continue to support myself taking interest in, well, myself--like a afternoon off of work for no reason, a Saturday morning spent reading (instead of cleaning/running errands/working), ect. Every week that I am on plan, I schedule few hours somewhere to do whatever it is that I want to do. It has really helped me to focus on what is important to me. Shockingly, last Saturday, I spent MY time going to the gym--that was when I realized that this lifestyle change is really starting to take hold.

There are a few monetary rewards that I am focusing on. I just bought myself new gym shoes for 10 pound. They were crazy expensive, but they make me feel like I can run faster. I know that is just in my brain...but it reminded me of being eight years old and and being convinced that my new shoes made me run faster when playing Red Rover.

Secondly, I can't wait to chop off my hair! I think I have kept my hair longer the past few years because I somehow think it covers some of my weight (I'm sure it doesn't--but it feels that way somehow). When I hit fifty pounds lost, I'm going to reward myself by loosing the hair too!

But, as I said, I plan on stealing some of your ideas...it's fun to think about!

SweetScrumptious
04-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Here's some of mine...

-new piercing (prob a conch)
-hair colouring
-teeth whitening
-bikini
-shorts + Bikram Yoga
-corset
...and my ultimate motivator [my final goal] a full ribcage tattoo!

bobblefrog
04-23-2009, 05:27 PM
A full ribcage tattoo - OMG - I'm so impressed. And Riverite - a lot you said in your post struck nerves. Ever since I found this forum I've been thinking about "releasing my inner punkchick". The thing is I can dress it up anyway I want, but I have to figure out how to make the internal changes. I feel so terrible anytime I stand up for myself (I'm not a whimp - I think my friends think I'm pretty assertive - I just suffer horrible guilt and anxiety that I'm an bad ugly person). I don't want to feel that way anymore. I want to speak my mind (even if I'm wrong) and be okay with it. Somewhere find that certainty I have the right to exist, too. Right or wrong. Sigh. I'm feeling a little vulnerable today as I've been procrastinating and I have a client that is giving me a hard time. I want to flip them off and say shoo - go away, I don't need you and your cheap ways. But that's unprofessional. And so unZen. What would Tank Girl do????? Why isn't right or wrong clearcut? Gimme a futuristic desert and badguys any day! LOL!

going2Bhealthy
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
These are all really great ideas for rewards... piercings and my ultimate tattoo have always been on my list, but massgaes, why had I never thought of that? I used to say I'd get shorter hair when I was slimmer but I just got really bored and chopped it all off one day... oops, but a semi-expensive haircut will be on the list near goal.

I just spent most of the day going around some of my favourite sites and racking up HUGE wishlists of stuff, but I'm going to get myslef a new watch and some new funky headphones somewhere along the line, as well as some new body jewellery.

picturemeperfect
06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm planning on a tattoo for myself at the end of the summer if I've stayed on track all summer. :)

My grandma also is trying to keep me motivated and I collect Ball Jointed Dolls. I don't have the $$$ to get the limited edition doll I want right now, but she said if I stay on track until the end of his order period (in a couple weeks), she'll get him for me with the caveats that I have to keep working all summer and once I drop the weight I have to keep it off so that I'm still looking slimmer next summer. If I relapse before then, she'll repo the doll and sell him. ....It's been working as a pretty good motivator so far because I really want him and it's the only way I'll get him. Plus, it means I can save my money for the tattoo.

Lissus
06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Right now I'm focusing on small rewards - I'm putting together a charm bracelet with a charm for every five pounds lost, and each charm has something to do with when I lost it - I lost the first five pounds in February so I got a heart charm, etc. They're cheap silver-plated charms - the steel bracelet and first charm cost me less than $5 - but its something I see every time I reach for food, to remind me to make healthy choices.

Right now, if I lose that first 40 pounds, I will consider that reward enough. :)

I think this is a great idea. Mind if I steal it? Where do you buy the bracelets?

Talina
06-24-2009, 04:16 PM
I was really wanting to get my first tattoo when I reached my half way point, then add on to it when I reach goal. Unfortunetly money is too tight for me to do that right now.

So instead I've decided to focus on cheap rewards. I have tons of fabric, which means when I get down to close to my goal size I can make myself a bunch of new clothes. For example I have some really nice brocade fabic that I want to make a corset out of.

paradoxx
06-30-2009, 01:24 AM

Great minds think alike! :D When I first started seriously working out, I decided that I would get a charm bracelet and get new charms as I completed my goals. After much consideration, I ended up going with a bead bracelet (like a charm bracelet, but with silver beads instead of charms).

Also, when I reach my goal weight and maintain it for a bit to stabilize, I'm getting a big tattoo that will start on my stomach and wrap around to my lower back.

Robbynmarie k
06-30-2009, 02:28 AM
when I reach 199: a new eyebrow peircing and some added to my wrist tattoo
170 3 new bellybutton rings
150 a cute bikini(after breast reduction)
115(my ultimate goal) a "tramp stamp" I hate that term for it but it is going to be a pink star with black outlining with wings and it is going to say love your life in purple or green

Lila Leeds
06-30-2009, 03:35 AM
I LOVE the charm bracelet idea, infact I love it so much that I bought a little bracelet & a couple of charms. The first charm is a small disc, I'll have my starting weight engraved on it & of course the last charm will be my goal weight (which I will put on the bracelet when I reach it).

DivineFidelity
08-07-2009, 11:41 PM
So I've decided when I reach my goal weight and the rolls on my back are gone and I feel comfortable showing it off, I'm definitely gonna get a huge tattoo on my back. Probably either something with a big red and orange fiery phoenix, or something with flowers. I'd rather do the phoenix, but I doubt a tattoo artist could really actually do what I've imagined in my head, and I don't want to be disappointed, so I might choose something else. Whatever it is though, It'll be big and definitely be slightly sexy =D

Only downside is when my parents see it, they'll murder me...but I don't care. If I pay for it, and I'm responsible about it, they'll eventually accept it...and maybe, just MAYBE if I explain how much of a motivator it is for me in losing all this weight, they won't freak out as much. *crosses fingers*

Smee
08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
The idea about the charm bracelet is great! Id on't wear a lot of jewelry anymore, but it's a fantastic idea! I may have to reconsider now ;)

I told myself I have 85 lbs to lose, and I broke it up into 6 stages. So I get a reward every 14 lbs, approximately.

14 lbs lost- The book "Punk Rock Dad". I love Pennywise, and I've been dying to read this book. Jim is suck a sweat guy.

28 lbs lost- I get to get my nose pierced.

42 lbs lost- I get the complete Pearl Jam box set that was released not too long ago. All time favourite band here.

56 lbs lost- I get a new pair of shoes from Hot Topic. There are some platform boots I'm just dying for, and have put off buying them for several years now.

70 lbs lost- I get to get a new skimpy outfit from Frederick's of Hollywood. I got my corset there, and I want more.

85 lbs lost- GOAL! The hubby said if I take off my weight and keep it off for a year, then he'll begin making arrangements for us to save and go to Europe, mainly the British Isles. I think in one of my past lives I lived there. :)

Derbying4herlife
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I definetly agree with the tattoo idea, id like a filagree tattoo all up my side (like bam margera) or up my back, and a belly ring when i finally get a flat stomach. im looking forward to knee high boots, i have my eye on a pair of dr martens. I also want to throw a halloween party and actually be able to wear a sexy costume like a schoolgirl or something. new glasses, and my mother offered to buy me a whole new wardrobe when i reach my ultimate goal...can't wait for that!!

maryquitecontrary
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I hadn't thought about a rewards system until I read this post. I remember my family making rewards for us when we were kids. Good attendance? Go out to dinner! Good report card? Candy! Make honor roll? Cupcakes!

So I will obviously need to rethink my reward program. I'm thinking getting my hair done, tattoo, piercing, and dvds I have been holding out on.

I just don't know if i should give myself small rewards at close intervals, or bigger rewards more spaced out. I don't know which would keep me more motivated.

CanadianCutie
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
My rewards. Well, I like to make jewelry, earrings, and bracelets, and simple pendants, so beading supplies and findings are one reward. I may just have to make up a bracelet, with a different bead for each 5 pounds lost. Yeah, I like that. I love to read as well, so books always work as rewards.

But my goal to be under 300 pounds by Christmas will be rewarded by a new wii exercise "game".

UniquelyNormal
09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I just blogged about rewards yesterday! Mine are - eyebrow piercing & a Brazilian wax.

I do eventually want another tattoo, something Irish that I'd design however I haven't designed it yet so maybe I'll save that one for reaching my goal weight.

chickiechic
01-18-2010, 01:50 AM
I sort of already treat myself to a massage every month. It's just my self-care thing, like some people go to the salon or whatever... it is one thing I can look forward to every month, without fail, that will leave me feeling amazing for the next 24 hours. For weight loss, I have 100 lbs to go to my initial goal weight. I could really use some new shoes- I haven't bought any in almost a year- so, I've decided to get 1 new pair for every 10 lbs lost. I just got my first reward, a pair of black Mary Janes with heels. I can't really feel bad, because I really do need to replace a few things in my closet, and new shoes should still fit until I get a lot closer to reach my goal weight.

RMetalBroad
01-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Hmm, I haven't really thought of this, this is a great topic.

I'm sure one of the rewards would be some more tattoos, both of mine are over a decade old. I want a celtic armband and some Dia De Los Muertos figures. I'm not sure what I would like on my back but I do want my whole back done.

The main "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" goal will be to start travelling. As soon as I reach goal I want to go to Europe, the UK or Hawaii. I'm not sure the timing will be right with school so I would at least want to go to Hawaii. And learn how to surf, I really want to learn how to surf :D

neon_zephyr
01-18-2010, 07:08 AM
What an interesting thread! I hadn't really been thinking of rewards at all because I just feel like I'm climbing out of a debt on this weight-loss journey -- an attitude which is not at all constructive. You all have some wonderful ideas, as well, for rewards.

I do, however, have a small list of things I will hold off on until I've lost some real weight, which include short hair, hair dye, a tattoo, a day at a spa I've had my eye on for a while, and a wardrobe renovation.

I have to say that the bracelet idea is a very very good one! To have a positive visual demonstration of one's goals and progress in such a prominent way must be a great way to stay motivated. I don't know if any of you would be inclined, but it would be nice to see photos of your charm/bead/reminder bracelets....

BeatnikMama
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
When I lost the first half of my pregnancy weight I rewarded myself with a Bob Dylan tattoo on my foot and when i reach my ultimate goal I'm getting a Whitman tattoo under my bellybutton (kinda a word nerd). Also I'm going to pose for suicide girls, wayyyyyy out of my comfort zone but that's the point for me.:o

Technosexual
01-27-2010, 01:17 AM
This is such an amazing discussion!

I have to chime in on the tattoo reward. I don't have any, yet, but, I'm dying to start getting them! This will probably be a major reward... Say, not until I hit 150 lbs.

I would also say piercings, but, I can't really get anymore, as I need to find a job. Even though there are some that I don't have that I really want! Actually, I'd love to get my belly button pierced. This would also be at a major milestone. Probably not until I'm in the 11X's. ( It's super far away, but, dammit, I can do it! )

I'm currently growing my natural hair color out, and I might get it cut/colored as a reward at some point, depending on how long it is when I feel that I might deserve it.

As some others said, it's not easy to plan many rewards at the moment, due to monetary issues. I also don't necessarily have any solid reward plans. As long as I'm doing good, I'll buy myself a little somethin'-somethin' when I see fit. Make-up, jewelry, a top, etc.

SalaamDementia
01-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Just like all you lovlies, I decided as soon as I started this that I'd hold off on my tattoo and get it when I reach my goal. I may even get daring and if my belly looks good enough, get my belly button peirced.

I'm growing my natural color out in my hair as well, and since my hair is to my waist I'm going to eventually need to strip it, so that expensive salon trip will be one of my mid-point rewards to myself as well.

Technosexual
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm growing my natural color out in my hair as well, and since my hair is to my waist I'm going to eventually need to strip it, so that expensive salon trip will be one of my mid-point rewards to myself as well.

Cool, another hair grower outer! I decided to grow mine out because I completely fried my hair with bleaching and coloring over the years. It's around shoulder/past neck length in some places, but, not consistently, since it tends to break at the weakest points. I think it's shorter on top/around my face. It's black/super dark reddish brown, and I have maybe a couple inches of my natural color ( A weird brown. ) grown out. I can't wait to start fresh. I highly doubt I'll keep my natural color once it's long enough; I think I want to go blonde, but, I'm not positive.

LadyStarDust
02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
ahh Im so thinking of growing my hair out =/
its white at the moment and annoying the **** outta me =[

I'm starting with small rewards and building up
so starting with stuff like
'Dead girl' necklaces
new make up etc.
BE doll seriesss
then going into stuff like
a new corset

then building into stuff like
tattoos I want
getting syth dreads installed etc.
eventually my
teeth fixed and massive tattoo project

my ultimate goal is too look totally HAWT in a green leopard print pencil skirt rofl.

eroica27
02-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I like the idea of rewards...my 30lb loss treat was a corset,
50lbs total=facial
75lbs total=real stockings (the ones shaped like legs)
100lb lost=victory shot of really good whiskey (because its probably gonna cost me)
Goal=I'm not sure.

Gypsy Severina
02-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Man, I started this thread almost a year ago and it's STILL getting posts today! Just shows how motivating shiny corset buckles or the sting of a fresh tattoo can be. Keep it up ladies!