Weight Loss Support - I made a healthy choice

View Full Version : I made a healthy choice

glitterducky
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I love these types of questions... :)

You made the choice to live a healthy lifestyle. We all know that losing weight hasn't been/isn't/isn't going/still isn't easy. (Did I get them all?? ;))
But you're making healthier choices each day. And I'm proud of you.

Add your healthy choice to this sentence:

I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was....

I had a salad for lunch. A healthy one loaded with dark green lettuce, veggies and a little dressing. I chose a salad over a sandwich for lunch today. :D YAY! :carrot:

Rosinante
03-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to make a vegetarian curry from scratch, when I could have just eaten a fruit bar and some chips.

rachinma
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to join a friend for lunch at Cheesecake Factory and order a Weight Management salad (<580 calories) and eat only half.

(I had already had a bag of baby carrots, a sm kiwi and two Wasa crackers.)

JenMusic
03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Great thread!

I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to exercise in the morning (and push myself) instead of putting it off until the day ended with me not exercising. Procrastination is not my friend.

rachinma - I'm in AWE of you making such a great decision at the Cheesecake Factory. WTG!!

wendyland
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
This may not be the healthiest choice, but it is a step for me. My husband and I went to the bookstore. Instead of having a cupcake or brownie, I had a rice crispy treat and unsweetened green tea. It saved me around 200 calories! It was very satisfying, too. We also did a really hilly 1 mile hike at the park afterwards.

Shannon in ATL
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I had a Turkey & Broccoli melt & bottled water for lunch - 1/2 of a WW pita, roasted shaved turkey, fresh broccoli, half a slice of mozzarella cheese, left off the calorie-rich 1000 island dressing and got fresh salsa instead. What I really wanted was the ginourmous BLT with a whole lotta bacon and some greasy chips with sweet iced tea... :)

Shannon in ATL
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Wendy - that is absolutely a healthy choice! :)

gaarmywife2007
03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to do an almost three-hour workout. (In stages of course, but it got done.) I FEEL AMAZING!!!!

Aiela
03-10-2009, 05:05 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was that there was a ton of free food available at the office, and I bypassed the brownies and donuts and had a half a tuna sandwich and a big plate of fruit.

glitterducky
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
These are ALL GREAT choices. Good job you guys.

prepping
03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was bringing a 1/2 oz of almonds and a cup of veggies knowing that I would be staying later at the office and needed to have an extra couple snacks to get me by until dinner.

Violin Jenn
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was....

I had a MAJOR chocolate craving and satisfied it with s/f pudding.

Priscatip
03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I saw this thread while I was at work today and wanted to post BUT I waited until after work so I could post that: I actually went on a RUN today instead of a run/walk, and we beat all of the other neighbor dogs around the track.

Thanks for the motivation just so that I could post.

wickky
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I made 2 helathy choices and the first one was a doozy....

MY dear, sweet husband has never been to the doctor in the 11 years we have been together. He has been having some flu-like symptoms that will not go away for over 3 months now.

He insisted it had to be allergies and I agreed. HOwever, he also began feeling really run-down.

I made the healthy choice to make him a doctor appointment, pick him up after work, drive him there and go into the appointment with him.

Boy am I glad I ever did! He has abnormally high blood pressure 150/103.

The doctor put him on BP medicine and wants him back in a month. I will again make a healthy choice to make sure he actually goes!

The other choice was making a heart-helathy dinner of turkey-feta burgers on 100 calories rolls. as a side dish, I made a huge ehlping of cut up zuchinni, baby carrots, onions and a few small potatoes. tossed with some fresh spices and popped in the oven. YUM :-)

thistoo
03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
I had a Turkey & Broccoli melt & bottled water for lunch - 1/2 of a WW pita, roasted shaved turkey, fresh broccoli, half a slice of mozzarella cheese, left off the calorie-rich 1000 island dressing and got fresh salsa instead.

That sounds AWESOME.

My healthy choice today was to eat the turkey meatloaf and green beans I brought to work for dinner instead of stopping at McDonald's on my way to teach my evening class, which is what I kind of wanted to do.

corazonas
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
i saw this thread earlier but didn't respond because i hadn't done anything really great. same ol same ol.

BUT i went to my mother in law's house for dinner. they made chicken fried steak (HUGE). and gravy. and potatoes (LOTS of butter and whole milk). and rolls. and carrots (cooked in CORN OIL. who DOES that??!?). and corn (again in the corn oil). and green beans (with bacon and butter). so i brought my own food. some lentils cooked with turkey sausage, onion, zucchini, carrots, and brown rice. a BIG plate for 400 cals. and it was GOOD.

not only was it a super healthy choice but i did not let myself get guilted into eating crap foood just because everyone else was and they gave me crap for it. mwa ha ha ha

Hummus
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I had 7 servings of fruit and vegetables today! Raw veggies and hummus, fresh fruit, and baked sweet potato and broccoli. For someone who used to hate veggies and didn't know how to prepare them heated in any way, I'm doing really well these days! :D

DCHound
03-10-2009, 11:37 PM
...to go to the gym even though I had to pick one of my bassets up from the vet, up in South Frederick county, which meant I didn't get to eat dinner until 10 o'clock tonight. I have now been to the gym 6 out of the last 7 days...and as Jillian Michaels would say, I HAVEN'T been dialing it in, either. And that's a very healthy choice made by a deeply lazy person.

wendyland
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
MY dear, sweet husband has never been to the doctor in the 11 years we have been together. He has been having some flu-like symptoms that will not go away for over 3 months now.

Boy am I glad I ever did! He has abnormally high blood pressure 150/103.

It's wonderful that you got your husband to go to the doctor. My mom had flu like symptoms for quite some time before her heart attack. She also had high blood pressure.

newleaf123
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
My healthy choice yesterday was this. I was hungry and wanted a snack while I watched the hockey game on TV. Normally this would be a big bowl of popcorn, popped in canola oil. I thought about making a small bowl of popcorn, popped in a smaller amount of canola oil, but instead mixed a half cup of cottage cheese with indian spices, and ate a stalk of celery, a whole carrot, and half a sliced up yellow pepper on the side.

ICUwishing
03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. I got "stood up" for lunch today, so I hadn't brought anything beyond my morning snack of walnuts and my 40oz bottle of water. I chose to go to NutritionData.com before I went out to lunch, and figure out not just what I wanted, but what would fit. Yes, I ate the Spicy Chicken sandwich at Wendy's, but I also had them hold the mayo on it, got the side salad (with no dressing) instead of fries, and a plain iced tea. These choices saved me at least 600 calories over my past lunch decisions.

time2lose
03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. I was helping at a conference where a box lunch was provided for me. I gave away the bag of chips and macadamia nut cookie, ate the apple and half of the huge ham sanddwich. I also drank water instead of the Coke that was provided.

Amber1011
03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was not going to ihop with everyone else.

glitterducky
03-12-2009, 01:23 AM
These are all great choices. The other one I wanted to add: I resisted the urge to go to Taco Bell. :)

bronte155
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
When I started trying to eat healthy I switched my work beverage of choice to water instead of my beloved Diet Dr. Pepper. Well, my birthday was yesterday and I had been promising myself for a while that I would allow myself to get a *real* Dr. Pepper as a birthday treat!

But you know what? When I stood in front of the vending machine yesterday and really listened to what my body was telling me, it didn't want soda. Water sounded so much better! It's crazy how close I came to getting the soda anyway (seriously, why?), but in the end I made a healthy choice and got the water instead. :)

flatiron
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM

... I found a button on the floor and I didn't eat it thinking it was an M&M. :D

ICUwishing
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
:tape:ROFLMFAO at Flatiron - sure as heck wish I didn't have the prior knowledge I have that makes that as funny as it was!!!!

time2lose
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to politely say, "No thank you" to eating out at lunch and ate my chicken sandwich and carrots for lunch.

glitterducky
03-12-2009, 03:48 PM

... I found a button on the floor and I didn't eat it thinking it was an M&M. :D

LMAO. Classic.

maryshady
03-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was.... I went to lunch with a friend and had a salad filled with bunches of grilled veggies and I told them to hold the garlic bread!

Amber1011
03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was eating a salad at the funeral instead of devouring the sweets.

Buttercup
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Walking by the baked goods in the store today and realizing that I really DID NOT WANT any!!!!:D

Amber1011
03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Walking by the baked goods in the store today and realizing that I really DID NOT WANT any!!!!:D

That's awesome- when you don't even have to struggle- you plain out just don't want any. I wish I was you lol

cammieb
03-13-2009, 12:27 AM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was increasing my calories by 100 today, 100 calories closer to a normal healthy caloric intake, and not feeling guilty about it at all.

A bit of a weird healthy choice, I know, but I really am proud. :D

Lovlab
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was ordering a grilled chicken breast with my salad instead of FRIED CHICKEN that was the special of the day at work. Normally it is a non issue - but holy cow - today was a different story. But, I did it and I was happy afterwards!
Great job to you all for such great choices today!

FlatIron - I dont even know the background behind your M&M story - but I needed the laugh and boy did I laugh - it was so silly - great job! :D

Pandora123a
03-13-2009, 03:58 AM
I made a healthy choice today and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made was to run out between meetings and eat a healthy, sensibly portioned dinner instead of skipping the meal and coming home ravenous...and gorging!

prepping
03-14-2009, 12:46 PM
The healthy choice I made today was being happy with who I am!

dutchgirl
03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Prep - I like your choice
Flatiron - I also don't know the background of your story but my imagination can come up with some interesting possibilities.

my healthy choice: I did a major shop for groceries today. As I was packing away the food, it struck me that the content of my grocery cart is utterly different from what it was three months ago - vegetables, chicken, fish, fruit, 0% fat yoghurt, not a bad food insight.
A whole cart full of good choices!:carrot:

Buttercup
03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Prep - I like your choice
Flatiron - I also don't know the background of your story but my imagination can come up with some interesting possibilities.

my healthy choice: I did a major shop for groceries today. As I was packing away the food, it struck me that the content of my grocery cart is utterly different from what it was three months ago - vegetables, chicken, fish, fruit, 0% fat yoghurt, not a bad food insight.
A whole cart full of good choices!:carrot:

I noticed that when I was shopping too!!!

s0nali
03-14-2009, 06:32 PM
My healthy choice today was going to work out after the St. Patrick's parade, instead of coming home and lazing in the rain. Not only am I proud, but I feel wonderful!

Hyacinth
03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was:

I decided to go for a walk before allowing myself to go shopping for things I don't need.

I also decided that I need to start recording everything I eat on a regular basis ... the good, the bad, AND the ugly.

jahjah1223
03-15-2009, 04:37 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was to have a turkey sandwich instead of the mc donalds everyone else was having.

glitterducky
03-15-2009, 05:20 PM
horray! These are all great choices. Good job everyone.

UrthWurm
03-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was exercising this morning. I actually woke up, got my a$$ in gear, and hammered it out to Jillian Michaels 30DS-- and the exciting part, I didn't once let my lazy fat-assed devil win. I completed the whole video without stopping! Now I feel great!!! :carrot:

UrthWurm
03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I made a healthy choice yesterday, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made yesterday was not binging on Baskin Robbins, even though it was my birthday. I looked at all the flavors, and not a one looked appetizing, so I said "no thanks"!!! (Though I did have a few bites of brownie later on :D )

prepping
03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Urthworm, Happy (belated) Birthday!

My healthy choice today was eating an amazing homemade chili.

dilleight
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow on your birthday that's impressive. I did my DVD today and didn't give up when the computer crashed! :)

judipurple
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Today I did 50 crunches (jackknife, on wiifit), in addition to my regular workout. trust me, this is kinda major (for me!). yesterday, the whole family (dog included!) went on a 4-mile walk (brisk). The dog slept for three hours after that!

prepping
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I went outside of my plan this morning when I had a big bowl of cereal rather than my normal oatmeal, cottage cheese, and fruit. So to compensate I prepared for not including extra dairy and starch for lunch and put in some extra protein.

My healthy choice for yesterday + today, I got a gym membership yesterday and will be going to a yoga class tonight! :D

sweet_talker
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
My healthy choice was inputting everything into Fitday for over two weeks in a row...and not even leaving things out (I wish I could just leave things out of fitday and pretend like they were never eaten sometimes)

squeak351
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
My healthy choice today is checking out the menu for the restuarant a friend wants to go to tonight and preplanning what I am going to have.

PinkyPie
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
I made a healthy choice today, and I'm so proud. The healthy choice I made today was.... I did NOT eat the carrot cake that was left for everyone to take a piece of in our store today. I went and looked at it several times and every time I said out loud "no, I'm not going to eat that!"

glitterducky
04-03-2009, 02:47 PM
yay! Keep up the great choices :) These are great.

prepping
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
hehe, that's why I dug out the thread again! :D

My healthy choice today was that I had to deal with a nasty nasty client today but I didn't let it bug me afterwards! I instead kicked myself into the wonderful mood I was in when I got up this morning!

(Unlimited praises to the power of Yoga! I went for my first class yesterday and the feeling of well being is still with me!)

glitterducky
04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
My husband hosted a Wrestlemania part today (I also hate WWE! And Wrestling, but he likes it)....And while everyone was scarfing greasy pizza.... I made myself a turkey burger patty (no bread or anything else just the patty) And carrots. YAY!

avamarie1987
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
My healthy choice today was eating a Kashi frozen meal for the first time even though I'm super picky!... LOVED IT!

firefliesandpixies
04-05-2009, 09:22 PM
My healthy choice is that I did the elliptical *and* my favorite Ana Caban Pilates dvd....I usually do one or the other but did both today and I couldn't feel better!

lizziep
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
my healthy choice today was - an hour long work out- bumping up the work out by several levels on the bike, then eating a light lunch since I had a heavier breakfast.

lizziep
04-07-2009, 12:57 AM
i actually made another one today- instead of eating one full turkey tenderloin each- hubby and i shared one and kept one for tomorrow- and filled our plates up with salad and asparagus instead!
in the old days we totally would have had a hunk of meat each and maybe some potatoes to go with. yay for making a healthy choice.

WhitePicketFences
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
When my husband was sick one day last week, I made him a grilled cheese with fresh-baked bread.

Well, it looked so super and then all week I had cravings for a grilled cheese of my own!

We'd have grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches for dinner one night, I decided. I'd be conservative and carefully count out the cheese calories for it. So I planned it for an evening soon after I had already planned to make a loaf of rye bread (my favorite). I sliced delicious tomato. I put aside my carefully controlled amount of cheese. I was excited. A comfort-food sandwich for dinner, non-traditional, not particularly nutrient-rich, but fits right into that day's calories. This is what I do with cravings.

That night, this past Monday, my husband got the dinner sandwiches started while I was outside. Came in and the sandwiches were on the stove. He had used my set-aside cheese for me; however both sandwiches were on huge, thick slices of the bread. I routinely slice pieces of bread much thinner -- like almost half the thickness -- for myself and base the calories on that.

I quickly shucked about 8 brussel sprouts and threw them into the steamer. Had half my sandwich with the brussel sprouts on the side. I didn't feel bad about it, and I told my husband not to feel bad about it either. It's not a waste. And he is just used to cutting thick slices.

I did really enjoy my half of grilled cheese sandwich. I added some more tomato to make up for the lopsided bread-cheese ratio.

This is a small thing, but a very symbolic victory for me. I am very controlling in a way, I haven't been eating out socially much since starting, I do 90% of the cooking at home ... but I'm proud that I was able to adapt and improvise without any panic.