Weight Loss Support - Plateaus?

View Full Version : Plateaus?

Onederchic
03-07-2009, 01:24 PM
What do you do when your weight loss slows to a crawl?

loveLauren
03-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Sweets, I've been at a stall since the second week of Feb. Its quite depressing but lately I've changed my exercise routine. I started the 30 day shread and very slowly I'm crawling back down to what I was before my bf's father was in the hospital (I ate very bad that whole week.)

I also changed what I ate. I use tp eat the same things each day. Instead of munching on 100 calorie oreo packs, I munch on carrots or I make my own fruit salad and eat that.

One big thing is don't get down on yourself. Slow and steady wins the race! ;) Good luck! :hug:

iamacrayon
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I am hitting a lot of them at the moment, I find that usually sticking with what I'm doing works, the hardest thing for me about plateauing is having the mental strength not to give up!

I agree with Lauren, changing different bits of your diet does help!

Su-Bee
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I have been playing with the same 2 pounds, up & down and up & down, since just before Valentine's Day. This despite exercising for between 1-2 hours every day, and always staying between 1200-1500 with my calories. I keep telling myself that eventually, my weight HAS to drop - but it is pretty discouraging!

jenny515
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Key to plateau's is to change things. Increase your exercise or change what you do. I change my calories on a daily basis. One day 1300 next day 1400 then 1200 keeps my body thinking.

Onederchic
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips, advice and encouragement!

Lori Bell
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM
What do you mean by a "Crawl"?...Crawl to me means you're still moving, just slowly, but your Thread title says "Plateaus"...which means the scale won't budge for several weeks in a row. Good news is: If it's crawling, it isn't a plateau!! YEA!

I started out around the same weight as you, and the first 75-80 pounds came off rather quickly, then things slowed down quite a bit...and it's still slow. One thing I want to remind you is, (what I keep telling myself) this IS for the rest of your life. Once you get to a certain weight, (your goal) you won't be done...actually from the way it sounds from all the awesome maintainers on this board, That's when the hard part starts...You've only just begun. (I feel a Karen Carpenter song coming on...LOL) :)

Onederchic
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Haha thank you :). The reason I labeled the thread Plateaus with a question mark is because I wasn't sure what was happening. Thanks again :).

teawithsunshine
03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Yep... in those instances, just calorie cycle and/or change your exercise routine. For instance, if you were walking before-- try the stair master or other low impact forms of exercise (if that's what you prefer).

It's a pain in the behind ;) But if you change/shake up your routine, it'll eventually come off.

Just come on this forum and complain when you're feeling frustrated or discouraged (or happy, lol) ;) That's what us chickies are here for!!

~ tea

Onederchic
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Awww thank you so much :hug:

DCHound
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
I hit a plateau 2/14 or thereabouts ~ I sucked it up 2 weeks later and joined a gym. Tomorrow will be my third week anniversary of joining the gym, and although my weight hasn't gone down I have lost more than 3 inches off my bust, and my waist, and my hips! About a size! I'm going six nights a week and working my tail off so I know eventually I will break this plateau... the key I believe is changing things up to keep my body guessing, and also not stressing about the scale.

Onederchic
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Well for my changing up, I went from jogging to The Biggest Loser workout DVDs, which is mainly strength and circuit training, this past week. I can definitely feel a difference in the soreness of my muscles, lol.

horsey
03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm on a bit of a plateau as well. But it's my fault from having a string of cheats, that made my hard workouts less effective. So I'm 6 weeks into a 12 week BFL challenge and I'm going to kick this plateau by working out hard and eating clean. One thing about plateau's is cleaning up your diet, cutting back to maybe half buns, etc. Eating more protein. And adding some cardio time. Blast that fat!

Onederchic
03-23-2009, 05:34 PM

eviemc
03-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I hit one for a few weeks and totally just started over. I said ok I lost 20lbs it is time to do it again. To me if I take it like that it is not saying something is wrong just that it is time to go to phase 2. So i changed from fitday to dailyplate, upped my kettlebell weight and added a new video to the plan. It makes it exciting and it keeps a good attitude about it. Also I have to throw in a new workout outfit for good measure.

Onederchic
03-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Great ideas, thanks :)

Windchime
03-23-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks. The scale would go down by a few pounds, then back up. But it wasn't moving for real and I was getting discouraged. I decided that the best thing to do was to keep doing what I'm doing as far as diet goes. For exercise, I wasn't really trying that hard so I've decided to commit this week and I will ride the elliptical (fondly nicknamed "The B***h) 6 nights out of seven. I've done it two nights in a row; this morning, I stepped on the scales and I was down 4 pounds from the plateau weight. It's too early to tell if it's for real; it doesn't count unless it says that on weigh-in day!

So hang in there. Others have made good suggestions about changing your routine. My goodness, look how much you've lost already--you obviously are doing many things right! Just keep up the good work and it will start moving again!

Onederchic
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Aww thank you so much. We will hang in there and we will do this!! :D :hug:

photoRuth
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
I've been stuck losing/ gaining the same 2 lbs since Valentines Day, too, but have increased my exercise, cut my calories, then upped my calories, added a 2nd exercise session at night and nothing! so frustrating!

I just added stregnth training this week so we'll see...

eviemc- why did you switch from fitday? how will that help?

RedKat
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
The last time I stopped eating anything boxed/processed for a few days, that did the trick. Fruit smoothies although I added bottled apple juice to thin it out, were my best friend :) And veggies, usually mixed into egg whites or cooked in pam in the frying pan...

dgramie
03-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Wow this thread is just what i needed. I have been stuck for a while now..I lose and gain within the same 5-7lbs. I have tried increasing my calories, adding more exercise, more water, decreasing my calories(at drs recomendations) and still nothing. I am dragging out my minitrampoline and trying to jog on it...that has always worked before. Its just frustrating.

Su-Bee
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Well, I managed to break my Valentine's Day plateau - what worked for me was switching up my macronutrient ratio. I am eating the same # of calories, but have lowered my carbs & increased my protein.

Onederchic
03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Great advice everyone, thanks!