100 lb. Club - OT: Do you wax or bleach your mustache?

MugCanDoIt
03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
:o I know this is a gross subject but we are mostly all ladies here.....:o

Im dealing with facial hair and its frigging gross. Im only 33 and I dont want to wax my mustache for fear of it coming back in worse, or it looking like stubble when it is beginning to grow back.

What do you guys do? I cant stand it anymore!

butterflywings34
03-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I went to cosmetology school and learned about waxing, its a myth that hair comes back darker or thicker. You can wax it and it doesnt make it worse. I've waxed mine and know a lot of women who do. Its not the most pleasant thing but I bought my own wax and warmer and do it myself.
So I'm saying do it if it's bothering you.. ;)

aimee88
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I wax too and its fine..doesnt grow back any thicker, but it does hurt.

They also have Nair for facial hair if you really dont want to wax!

aimee

murphmitch
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Been waxing for years and it doesn't come back in any different.

MugCanDoIt
03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
For those of you who wax or nair it, does it look like man stubble when it first starts to come back in?

Aiela
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Mine doesn't, because mine are very thin and fine, and only get really noticeable once they get longer. So I just wax them again before they get to that point.

murphmitch
03-06-2009, 03:29 PM
It doesn't look any different when it grows back.

stellarwbz
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I wax too. It doesn't come back like stubble because you are pulling out the root.

nelie
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I've had laser hair removal done but it was quite a few years ago and some chin hairs are growing back. I tweeze stray hairs. I did used to wax though before I got laser hair removal.

Smiling_Sara
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I go to a hair salon and get mine waxes for about 12 bucks.

dixied
03-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Wax, and it grows back very fine, not stubbly. I've also tried that infommecial product called Smooth Away. It worked well too. It kinda buffs the hair off.

wannabealewis
03-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I wax my lip and eyebrows everytime I get my hair cut. It hurts for a second and boy do you feel better without that extra hair on your lip. It takes a couple weeks to come back, but it doesn't come in thicker or darker.

Slashnl
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I wax. It does not come back like stubble. Since I don't like paying too much for it, I got my own wax that I can microwave. You can't always get it at places like Target or Walmart, but if you have a beauty supply store, they have it there. It is "Surgi-wax" and you don't need the strips of cloth to use it. I like that.

Stings a little when you do it, but it beats the alternative!!

AmberShimmer
03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I actually thread my upper lip with a cotton thread. It works great. Whatever I can't remove, I just pluck it out with a tweezer.

MugCanDoIt
03-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I actually thread my upper lip with a cotton thread. It works great. Whatever I can't remove, I just pluck it out with a tweezer.

How exactly does this work? :smug:

AmberShimmer
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Mug, what I do is take some thread about 20 inches long, tie the ends to make one circle of thread... then twist the circle a couple times so that it looks like a bow, put the thread on top of my skin where i want the hair to be removed and sort of... twist the thread back and forth using both ends. This works great, especially for eyebrows but I think you need someone to help you do eyebrows.

Here's a link I found that explains it much better. http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/4991/1/Thread-That-Lip-Hair-Away.html

AmberShimmer
03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Here's a video I found on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNPc7rgg4s

lonegirl
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
I prefer to just bleach. I use bleach specifically for the face...it takes about 10-15min so I do it when I am lying in the bath.

Lyn2007
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Okay, since you guys brought this up, I have a question.

Do you wax because the hair is dark? I mean, if you didn't wax would it actually look like an actual mustache? I ask because I am pretty surprised so many ladies wax. I had no idea this was a common problem.

AmberShimmer
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Lyn, I don't wax but I know that if I don't thread for a while, say three to four weeks, my upper lip resembles a boy in puberty who has started to sprout some fuzz on his lip.

Buttercup
03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
I never had the problem until after menopause. Now it is on my chin, upper lip and some around the outside of my face. I tried the Nair for facial hair and that worked really well. Though there was a little irritaiton of my skin.

Jennelle
03-07-2009, 01:04 AM
I only have a few stray hairs here and there, which I'm able to tweeze easily (or sometimes even pull them out with my fingernails).

Rosinante
03-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Buttercup - that's interesting. My moustache is not visible, except for an occasional dark one that I pluck. My chin has always had the odd hair but it and the sides of my face have been much worse since menopause. Just the odd, dark, bristly one but doesn't help towards feeling feminine!

Schmoodle
03-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Lyn it doesn't look like a mustache exactly, it is not quite as coarse. Mine is bizarre I've got a little tuft of dark hair over the outside edge of my lip, but only on one side, and a few chin whiskers. They are dark and noticeable, so I wax them. It's quick and easy. But I come from a hairy family.

I think it's very common. Most of my friends have a few facial hair issues. Of course we are "of a certain age" now. I remember in college I had a female professor who desperately needed to wax - she practically had a light beard and mustache. I wanted to tell her what to do about it, but I didn't want to piss her off and fail the course. Poor thing, I wonder if she ever got a clue.

Merksie
03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I never had any facial hair at all until my early 30s, and then I started sprouting enough hair on my upper lip and chin to be really noticeable.

I tweezed for a few years (time-consuming and irritating to the skin - identical to waxing in that it pulls the hair out by the root) and tried laser treatments several times (not a permanent solution, despite the advertisements) before I decided to deal with the problem for once and for all via electrolysis in 2005-2006.

I am very, very happy with the results of the electrolysis. The treatments were mildly uncomfortable, and it took quite a few appointments to zap all the hair, but it's been several years now since my last appointment and my face remains completely hair-free. It is really nice not to have to deal with facial hair as a regular part of my routine.

TraceyElaine
03-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I have like 4 or 5 on either side of my top lip. Thery are more noticable on me than on say someone with lighter hair. Mine are black so they are noticable and those couple I pluck. They usually stay away for a few weeks. I didn't have them when I was younget or at least they were less noticable. I think this is something that comes with age for the most part.

Leeesa
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
You only get stubble when you shave, and sometimes with nair depending on the coarseness of your hair. The reason being that when you shave you actually cut the hair, leaving a blunt end, as opposed to waxing where the hair is pulled out at the root, when it grows back it is exactly as it was. If you an afford it, (and have dark hair/pale skin) I'd go for laser hair removal, it's the most wonderful, liberating thing ever :)

Lillibeth
03-08-2009, 11:28 AM
As well as the video posted by AmberShimmer I found that this video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw0E6plLPws&feature=related was really helpful as the lady shows you step by step what to do to thread your upper lip.