Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Default Calling all nail pros!

I've decided to start doing my nails at home, instead of going to the nail salon, because of money and health reasons (I've caught a skin virus twice going to beauty parlors )

But I don't know where to start. What basic tools should I invest in? What brands of nail polish are best? My biggest problem with polish is waiting for it to dry. Is there a top coat or something that helps nails dry faster?

All tips are appreciated! Thanks!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #2  

I'm assuming you're doing manicures, and not enhancements.

You'll need:
A good file. I prefer the glass files because they are more gentle. You can get one at Sephora for about $8.

Something to push back your cuticles. There are tools for this, or you can use an orangewood stick. Push back gently!

Cuticle nipper-to be used to clip the dry skin or hang nails only. Don't cut the live cuticle!

Nail buffer-If you have ridges in your nails, this is used to smooth them out. Don't use more than once a week or so as it will thin your nails.

You want to make sure you use a base coat and a top coat. When I worked in the salon we used OPI (which you can get at most beauty supply stores open to the public). I personally preferred a brand called Creatives. The base coat is called Sticky and the top coat is called Shiny. I don't know where you can buy it if you're unlicensed, but I'm sure you can find it with a little research.

Most brands of nail polish will sell some sort of spray or drops to speed up the drying process. OPI carries one and I'm sure there are drugstore brands that do (maybe Sally Hansen?) As far as polish goes, I think most brands work equally well. I think the trick is to use a good base coat and top coat.

Your polish will last longer if you make sure to remove any oils from your nail bed before polishing. When I do a manicure to myself, I just wash my hands with soap and concentrate on my nails, but you can also wipe your nails with polish remover. Just make sure you don't have any fibers from the cotton left on your nails or it will get stuck in your polish.

Hope this helps!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thank you Darby. For the record, I am doing my own now too, as well as doing my own eyebrows. I am a terrible polisher so I have been just doing clear.

I found this great tool at Sally's that is a 6 in one Emery board. It was under $3. I do the 6 step process, put on cuticle oil, then my clear polish. It actually looks pretty good.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 03-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I have my lisence as a manicurist. The advice they gave you is good. I like OPI nail polish or Creative. You can buy it at any salon. You need to soak your nails in a mild soapy water before you push your cuticles back, this softens them up. I found a top coat that I love and it dries really fast. Its called out the door. Hope this helps..
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Count me in the do it yourselfers. Thanks for the tips.

I have found that the back end of a steel tweezerman tweezers works great for pushing back my cuticles. And I use it to sort of file/push away leftover tissue. My tendency is to get a little agressive with cuticle pushing b/c mine grow so fast. Then, if I haven't oiled or lotioned them in advance-- possibilty for ripped skin increases.

Yup, Darby... I need to be more gentle. And butterfly, you are right. I need to stop rushing and prep my cuticles first. Thanks for the reminders

Re: ridges, the nail salon ladies were really ruining my nails by sawing away with the heavy grain of the file. I think they were insuring my need to return b/c my nails were so damaged
Now, I leave them a little ridgey and use nailtekk as a base coat (only coat really). That has the potential to really dry the cuticles but it works so well that I take the risk.

the end

Last edited by kittycat40; 03-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #6  
It is what it is...

LOVE OPI nail polish...also I find that sally hansen nail polish isnt that bad for cheaper stuff in the store...stays on pretty well
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #7  
Operator265

Another vote for Sally Hansen. Also, colors will go on better if you just drag one side of the brush and leave plenty of polish on the contact side you put on your nail. You need a bit of flow to get a smooth coat. If there isn't enough polish on the brush it just makes it look thin and crappy when you try to do your nails.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/160/whatever feels right

Height: 5'7

I vote China Glaze- Its the BEST nail polish. Plus, if you live near a sally beauty supply store, and get their discount card, its only $3.25.
ibleedlipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Thanks everybody! I have a Sephora and an Ulta 3 near me, so I think I'm going to make a trip this weekend to pick up supplies.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote