South Beach Diet - What exercise do you do?

View Full Version : What exercise do you do?

Steen
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Hello ladies. I am starting on phase 1, and I was just wondering what type of exercise do you do? :carrot:

I used to jog, but it started to hurt my knees:(, so I'm just looking for some new ideas. I go for walks, but when my four-year-old is home, it's hard to do.

I also live remotely, so going to the gym is not really an option. What are some of your ideas? :broc:

Chelby29
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I do Jazzercise. It's the only exercise I've ever stuck with -- been doing it 13 years! If you go to Jazzercise.com, then 'class finder', you can see if there is a class in your area.

mamaspank
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I would say find a way to make walking work for you until you can start jogging. I lost all my weight (45 pounds) last summer walking and then running. Right now I belong to the Y and they have child care so I do the Technogym Wave machine and run and swim. I didn't jog or run at first when I was 185 pounds. I think I started jogging after I got down to 170. I did WW simultaneously with the exercise. I walked at first for an hour every day. My walking progressed to very, very brisk walking, and then eventually to jogging, and then to full out sprinting once in a while. I also play softball five games a week, so I am sure that helped as well. I say, just get the body moving. Good luck!

rdw1
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I too have become a walker- do you have cable? Our cable company offers on demand(free) exercise tv shows... if you have any on demand channels or pay per view stuff its worth looking into- ours has a TON of free videos! Including Jillian's workouts right now!

JennyW
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I just started back exercising last week. I'm aiming to get in the routine of exercising three times a week and then gradually increase the length of the workouts as well as the frequency of them.

I'm currently using the 'Walk Away the Pounds' DVDs. Right now the one mile walk kicks my butt - gotta start somewhere! The one mile walk only takes 20 minutes from start to finish.

jenny :)

CyndiM
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I started with the 1 mile WATP tapes or 20 minute walks. Walking is still my primary form of cardio (@3.5 mph) though I bike a lot in the better weather, usually an hour a day. I also do yoga 2-3 times a week and use hand weights 2-3 times a week (the 30 minute WATP DVD is great for this).

zeffryn
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I walk and am getting back to running and cycling. I really love cycling.

I've been walking with both of my sons and then when DH gets home in the afternoon, putting our infant in the jogging stroller and jogging around the block.

I do do the dvd exercise programs, but I never seem to be able to stick with them. I always seem to find something to do around the house that I can talk myself into doing instead.

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I run three to four times a week (20 to 35 miles), lift weights four times a week, and bicycle once or twice a week.

The more I work out, the less hungry I feel, the happier I feel, the better I look.

rdw1
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
I just bought a pedometer- and I think that will motivate me to do more walking just in my everyday life!!!

amasam
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
When I started the SBD I knew I had a lot of habits to change - with my diet and exercise. We bought an elliptical over two years ago and it is great (I like that it is low impact as well). It was an investment up front, but I use it most days and the DH uses it occasionally ;) . I love the convenience of being able to get up, put on workout clothes and head to the basement (no trudging through snow, wind, rain, etc to get to the gym).

We also got a Netflix subscription and I use it to get DVDs to watch while on the elliptical and to try out workout DVDs. Some are grreat, others get sent back the same day. The variety keeps me interested and motivated. For these I have a set of hand weights, a resistance band and a mat - no more specialized equipment.

Skinnybride
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
I walk, use biggest loser bootcamp dvd, turbojam dvds, aerobic striptease dvd, and programs on fittv regualry and i lift weights as well, I like to mix it up and not do the same dvd everyday.

beachgal
03-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Steen, you really should check out the Walk Away The Pounds (WATP) DVDs--they're easy to understand and follow, but the workouts can get really intense.

As for jogging, I'd say that using an elliptical could be a really perfect way to continue "jogging" without hurting your knees. You could buy a used one--I use the one at the local gym, but understand that's not a possibility.

Just make sure you incorporate weight lifting/strength training in your routine. If you look around online you'll find tons of free resources to help you plan strength training routines at home using ordinary objects or your own weight to help you. Eventually you can invest in some weights or resistance bands, if you like.

I do elliptical most days, do strength training once a week, do yoga once or twice a week, and add other things in from time to time--I just finished a water aerobics class and am looking into taking Zumba. I've done Jazzercise in the past (and loved it) and also love going for bike rides when the weather is good (I can't wait for spring!).

Steen
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I was looking at the WATP DVDs online last night because they were mentioned frequently. I think I'm going to order one and give it a try.

I like to walk on days when my kids are both in school, but I was looking for something to do when my son is home. It's hard to go out and power walk with a 4-year-old. Too big for the stroller, but too short to keep up.

I think I'll look for a used elliptical machine as well.

Thanks so much.:hug:

jenne1017
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Honestly, I hate exercising. All I am doing is at least 30 minutes of high intensity Wii Fit right now. I love it!

ThoughtfulOne
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Jenn - I loved the Wii Fit when we first got it but then I just got lazy. I am planning on doing it everyday after I get some more energy - which I think will be happening soon. I have noticed that every day I feel better and better. :D

grneyedmustang
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I get bored easily, so I try different things. I have fallen in love with Spin class though...I also run and do the elliptical...Yoga is also one of my favorites...

jenne1017
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Melissa-

I bought some hand weights and a Wii Fit Mat so that I get interested again. I hear you on getting lazy and bored with it ;) But the same thing happens when say, I join a gym. So this way, I can at least watch TV and step :)

MomPOM
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I have to say that I need to get off my butt and start doing the exercising. I have a treadmill and a Total Gym downstairs that I was using fairly often but started slacking off. I also have a DVD of Pilates for the Total Gym that kicks my butt.

emikeeann
03-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Steen -

if you think running may be causing your knee problems there are a few things you can do to help! two summers ago, i had to see an orthopedist about calcium deposits that had formed on my knees from running - ouch! i had some pt and my dr. gave me some great advice...

if you're running outside, make sure you alternate which direction you are running your loop, and which side of the road you are on. sidewalks are slanted for drainage and if you always run in one direction on the same side of the road you are putting more strain on one knee than the other.

secondly, you may have out-of-shape running shoes. your shoes should be replaced every 350-500 miles to prevent injury.

lastly, you need to be sure to strengthen and stretch your hamstrings and ankles. they both help to keep you aligned and in proper-running form when you hit the trail. and remember to increase intensity with time... don't shock your knees : )

hopefully this helps! my knees used to kill me every time i ran and just today i ran four miles! i also love pilates dvd's -- a great core-strengthening, low impact workout!! :D

Steen
03-04-2009, 10:00 PM
That is very helpful advice.:hug: My doctor told me when I went to see her about my knees that it was my low-quality running shoes. I just haven't bought new ones yet, but I really should.:^: I'm just not sure what to buy.:?:

I didn't know about the sidewalks and the way they slant. That makes great sense. And I never stretch first. I'm going to have to change that habit.:o

rdw1
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Jenn- which wii fit game do you use to do high intensity with?

I second turbo Jam! LOVE IT!

Jenskihere
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I used to only walk. Then I joined the gym and started using the ellipitical., I have just recently started jogging and although I am not a huge fan of it, I find it challenging enough to push me harder. It is getting easier and easier.
I now LOVE working out. Especially with my iPod.
I just bought some new running shoes from New Balance and LOVE THEM! What a difference!! I went to a New Balance store and they helped me pick a pair that was right for me. They were expensive, but worth every penny. No more aches and pains in my feet and legs.

TwynnB
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Ever since starting SBD diet (and going to a running store to wear a GOOD pair of shoes), I have been a 'runner' as well. Well, maybe only a jogger ;).

And someone pointed out to me, how many runners do you see with knee replacements??!?! (I used to have sore knees too...not anymore!!)

beachgal
03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I have trouble with my knees when I try to run (and with asthma, but that's another issue). I'm going to physical therapy to do a lot of exercises in hopes that it'll help my knees. Turns out I'm pronating (rolling my feet in) and that's the major reason for my knee pain. Orthotics are helping with that. I think it's definitely worth seeing a good sports doctor or physical therapist for help when you are ready to start jogging again, Steen. :)

I second the vote for New Balance. My MIL's doctor told her that they are the BEST shoes for your feet, at any price, and I've heard that said in several other articles or from other medical/sports people over the last year or so. I've been using them for a while and they really help. If you find the kind that you really want (getting fitted at a store can be really helpful, if the people know what they're talking about), you can often find them on sale at stores (Kohl's has great sales) or online. That might help.

Glad you checked the WATP videos out, Steen! I was pleasantly surprised with how easy they are to follow and what a good workout they are. I got one for Christmas this year and am glad to have it for rainy/yucky days.

I hated exercise when I started SBD. After talking with chicks on here (especially those in the Exercise forum and maintainers that really use exercise, like Meg, Mel, and Amanda) who really use it in their weightloss, I became convinced that it's not only essential to weightloss and much easier than cutting more calories, but can also be enjoyable! Plus, it feels sooooo good when you finish. It's definitely worth pushing yourself to get going.

I am planning on doing it everyday after I get some more energy - which I think will be happening soon. I have noticed that every day I feel better and better.

Melissa, I'm so glad you're feeling better and better! If you're in P1 and haven't been exercising, don't push it until P2. But if you're already in P2, be aware that exercise can really GIVE you energy...it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. :idea:

ThoughtfulOne
03-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Laurie, I am still in P1 (day 4!) and have really felt more energized each morning. I am not pushing the exercise thing for a little bit. I am going to check the WATP DVDs I have been reading about. I remember looking at them at the store but I just never picked it up. And I know that exercise can give you more energy. I used to love walking and always felt better afterwards.

jenne1017
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Rikki -- any of the advanced levels of aerobics are considered "high intensity" when I log it into sparkpeople. I do 6 mins boxing, advanced step, super hula hoop (3 mins, I can't imagine doing 6 yet!) etc. on top of the yoga and strength training.

MomPOM
03-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I need to get my WiiFit out again. Now that I figured out how to trick the weight limit thing I can actually use it. Although, in a few months I won't have to trick it. Hee hee. That's a NSV I can't wait for!

SBD Sass
03-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I put my little on (16 months old) in the play pen and do aerobics from DVDs and I also lift weights. Right now I'm doing a strength rotation by Cathe Friedrich. I only work out at home...I can't stand public gyms. Yeck!

Barb0522
03-05-2009, 10:21 PM
That superhula hoop is tough. I love doing the advanced step and boxing too. I've just gotten lazy. Brian wants to watch TV and so we haven't been using the Wii Fit. Since he (and Don) will be at camporee this weekend, I think I will plan on going to the gym. I am walking the dog quite a bit which has to help some.

rdw1
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I must not have unlocked the boxing on ours yet- I definitely havent' used it as much as I promised myself I would :(

liemypoo
03-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I too am a walker/jogger. when i first started, my knees were killing me too. BAD! but proper hamstring stretching has really helped a lot....no more problems. i also love my fittv, i am a member of an all ladies gym that is super.......love my yoga, too

jenne1017
03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Barb -- you and do the free step while watching TV???

Rikki -- I think you have to do each of the top aerobic exercises 3 times each in order to unlock boxing (it's in the first column on the left, last one under hula and super hula).

Barb -- for as much as I love super Hula, I hate it. Though I did come up with a wii fit victory of sorts:

http://pics.livejournal.com/thatgaychick/pic/0007qa6s
Of course, this was only on the 3 minute!

Thought I'd show you my fat OBESE Mii! So close to 219, lol.
http://pics.livejournal.com/thatgaychick/pic/0007rapg

Barb0522
03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Jenn - I haven't tried the free step but I should. That would be one way I could do it while Brian watches TV. I hate the super hula too but it really does work up a sweat. I like the boxing and the step best.