South Beach Diet - Phase I Beachers Thread

View Full Version : Phase I Beachers Thread

Ruthxxx
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
If you are new to Phase I or a Repeater, please post your questions, kudos and :( :( in here along with menus for critique. It's good to have all the info in one thread so we can all benefit.

cbrown27
03-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Where do I begin? I have heard from friends that SBD Phase I has changed in the last year. Any thoughts?

cbrown27
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
My biggest issue with Phase I is alcohol consumption. I know that I have no plans for the upcoming weeks that would deter me from the diet but man it is hard.

I am also a carb queen.

My pitfall in PI has always been alcohol and bread.

TwynnB
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
My biggest issue with Phase I is alcohol consumption. I know that I have no plans for the upcoming weeks that would deter me from the diet but man it is hard.

I am also a carb queen.

My pitfall in PI has always been alcohol and bread.

Then Woo-OOO! SBD is the place for you!! I can't really speak on the alcohol side of things, never did much for me. But, I was definately a carb addict. When I was nursing my DD, you'd be stunned at the JUNK I ate because I could (I lost weight no matter what I ate while nursing).

Now....not much. Fast food is a turn off, don't each chips anymore, but I still enjoy my bread. I did try my kids' plain white pancakes though, they were nasty!!

I think if you stick with it, and this board is great support, you'll be changing your eating habits in no time.

Good luck!!

cottagebythesea
03-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Where do I begin? I have heard from friends that SBD Phase I has changed in the last year. Any thoughts?

:welcome3: cbrown! The most important thing you should do FIRST when starting the South Beach Diet plan is to read the book. It explains in detail the concept of this plan and just why you should and shouldn't eat certain foods. It is an invaluable source of information. Once you've read and understood the book, you'll be set to go!

Chelby29
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are two SBD books. The one called "Supercharged" is the newer book with the new foods? Correct?

zeffryn
03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Chel - correct.

cottagebythesea
03-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There are two SBD books. The one called "Supercharged" is the newer book with the new foods? Correct?

Yes, there are 2 SBD books. The newer book is basically the same as the original, but there are a few changes in the approved foods lists, and exercise suggestions are added. Dr. A also goes into more detail about Phase 2 and how to introduce fruits and starches into your eating plan. If you have the original book, you'll be fine, as we have the revised food lists here in our FAQ forum.

GradPhase
03-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Restarting SBD right after spring break! (:()

wonderlin
03-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm restarting today.
I started a little over a month ago and moved into phase 1.5 (even though I didn't have a "clean" phase 1. I was doing ok until 2 1/2 weeks ago then went completely downhill. (Though I at least kept up with my daily workout.)
So I went shopping yesterday and am determined to make it work this time! (I tried SBD a few years ago and lost over 50lbs and kept it off for about a year then slowly got out of good habits then last summer fell off the wagon completely and spiraled into even MORE weight gained than the 50 I had lost!)
On the plus side, even though I gained some weight back in the past few weeks, I still posted a total of 7 lb lost since my Feb "restart"!

--Linda :)

Steen
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I am on day three, and so far so good. Something has changed in my life to give me the motivation I need to follow through with this plan.

Fast food is my weakness, which is silly because I feel like s%&* after eating it. But it is so good going down.

Wish me luck! ;)

ThoughtfulOne
03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Steen,

This is my day 3 also. Good luck to you!

And I know what you mean about fast food. I love it but feel so crappy after eating it.

Kaeurl
03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey all...

I am restarting AGAIN tomorrow. I have 150 lbs to lose..I cannot even believe it. Thankfully, I have no serious health issues (other than the weight, of course) that limit me. DH was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and has about 30 lbs to lose, so it will be great for both of us. I remember the first time I tried SBD, I did very well during Phase 1 and somehow I got off track in Phase 2. I'm not sure what went wrong, other than I heard/read so many conflicting things on HOW to add grains back in that I got confused and just gave up. Stupid, I know. :)

I'm looking forward to coming here for support and hopefully one day being one who can actually GIVE support. :)

Cj

262mom2three
03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I restarted Ph 1 this week and BELIEVE that I am Day 3, possibly Day 4. I HATE when the days blur together and I cannot remember anything. Short-term goal is 30#, long-term goal is 60#...YIKES! My HUGE downfalls are 1) sweets, 2) breakfast, and 3) just sitting around and eating in front of the TV, when I actually have the time to watch TV (now I am trying to keep a tall glass of cold water or a bottle of lime seltzer nearby).

I have unsuccessfully attempted restarting Ph 1 several times recently (I was on it for 3 weeks in December). This time it seems to have stuck...YAY! My frame of mind if better. I gave up chocolate for Lent and for once I am actually doing well with this! Knock on wood, I am battling the temptations easily. I also have commited to a triathlon and NEED to keep up with my long-distance training partner. :) I will also say that I actually forgot how much FUN it is to try to find new recipes and tweaking what is out there to suit SBD. It has inspired me once again to become a more adventurous cook...used to be and lost her somewhere along the way. I am also taking the frame of mind that I am going to take my kids on this journey with us as it is a lifelong lifestyle change (DH is already on board)...I want them to try to focus less on halloween candy & process foods and more on healthy whole foods. They are already on the right track, as they somehow LIKE to eat raw red peppers and black beans & brown rice...YIPPEE!

I hope this healthy outlook STICKS!! :)

jenny515
03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm new to SBD but of course not new to losing weight and regaining it.
My doctor tried it so she is the one that suggested it. It seems very doable and very simple to me. I got the book yesterday after my appointment with the doc from the library. My biggest downfall is usually too high sugar fruits like mango and pineapple and bread, pasta and chocolate. I'm a all or nothing kind of gal. I know my triggers but I don't know how to stay away from them. If I don't take that first bite I'm okay but I need to keep from taking that first bite. I'm counting on all of you to prevent me from that first bite. I know I can do it. My husband is not very supportive. My son is but he is away at college. Well I guess I have rambled on enough about myself.
Thanks for listening.

ThoughtfulOne
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Jenny, I am new to South Beach (day 4 now!). I chose this because it definitely is easiest. What you have to remember is that if you do take the bite, you don't have to finish the rest of it and it isn't the end of the world if you do!

jenny515
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Thank you that is a great way of looking at it. One day at a time, one meal at a time and one bite at a time.

ThoughtfulOne
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Exactly!

mythreesons
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I have had a rough week so I plan on redoing P1 for a few days. . .I need to get rid of these cravings. So I am here but hopefull not for long.

What you have to remember is that if you do take the bite, you don't have to finish the rest of it and it isn't the end of the world if you do!

Up until recently, I have been doing this and I swear it has helped my mood greatly. I am not a "bad" person for cheating.

Chelby29
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I am not a "bad" person for cheating.

Good versus Bad. Fat versus Thin. I think in our minds, we say Good equals Thin and Bad equals Fat. It's just not true!

We all have problems. I have thin friends who have to have antidepressants to make it through the day. Thin friends with the morals of alleycats. The difference is, when someone looks at them, they look good. No problems! For a long time, I truly believed that thin people had no problems! Wrong! I'm heavy. I eat to deal with emotions, happy and sad. If you look at me, my problem is obvious. It's all over my butt!

Maybe it's because I turned 40, but I've decided I'm not going to beat myself up any more. I love SBD and the bounderies it sets. If I choose to go outside those bounderies, I'm not going to feel bad or guilty. I'm going to, let's say, EAT CAKE, and enjoy every bite. Then, I'm going back to the bounderies. Eating cake says nothing about my character. Mythreesons, there is NOTHING you can eat that will make you a 'bad person'.

Okay, stepping off the soapbox. Thank you for listening. :D

ThoughtfulOne
03-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Chelby, you said exactly what I was thinking! Just because you go outside the lines every once in a while you aren't a bad person.

kimberlymarie30
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I am also on my 4th day of SBD. I've been doing pretty well. I've also been tracking calories with a wicked cool app on my iphone. I also started a Couch to 5K program yesterday. I gained so much weight with my daughter who will be 6 months this month. I want to get back to my pre-preg weight of 170. I also want to run half a marathon by this time next year.
My main problem is getting my water intake up.

movielover
03-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I am also on day 4 of P1...round 2 1/2 for me! First time I was great for almost a year. This last time, I went off of it after 2 1/2 weeks! So this is technically the 3rd time I have done P1! I think it goes so well for me because it is so strict, the second I am on my own, I eat lots of extras!

So far...so good...not enough beans, but I am trying!

I just love to eat everything and anything!

SBD is the best thing I ever did for weight loss...I just can't eat bad carbs, they stick to me like glue. I need to remember to only eat good carbs and go easy with them!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

jenny515
03-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I am on day 2 of P1 so it really is very new to me. I'm sure I will make mistakes along the way but I'm here and off walking I go. I'm hoping to make it an hour. I'll let you know if I do. Maybe also 30 minutes on the elliptical. I should push myself when I feel motivated.

Steen
03-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I am on day five now and have been following the plan very well.:carrot: But I am only down three pounds.:( I was kinda expecting to be down a little more than that. Isn`t phase one supposed to be more rapid in the weight loss area?:?: I have been walking everyday as well.:cb: Is this alright? Should I be more concerned?:dunno:

murphmitch
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Sounds perfectly normal. That's a great start for South Beach! Keep up the good work.

ThoughtfulOne
03-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Steen, from what I understand the more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off in phase 1. I have about 120 pouns more than you to lose and I have lost 9 in the 4 days. I don't know if this is normal or if it is mostly water weight. My official weigh-in will be on Monday. I will see what I lost after 1 full week on phase 1.

Steen
03-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, Melissa that is awesome!!:bravo: Your nine pounds is keeping me inspired, so thanks. :celebrate:

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-06-2009, 01:54 PM
This is Day 5 for me. Scale reads a drop of two pounds. The weight graph on FitDay has me right on target to lose the weight I want to lose by May 25.

I love FitDay.

Steen
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, you're on the same day I am and we're down about the same, so that makes me feel way better! :jig:

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
No problem, Steen. Glad I could help.

Hey.... no need to rush this thing, right? Two pounds a week is like 104 pounds by this time next year.

ThoughtfulOne
03-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks Steen! My official weigh-in day is Monday, so we will see what the first weekend on South Beach is like for me. I have had a good day so far, but being home alone with my DBs snacks has been a little harder than I thought. But, so far I have resisted. I have kept myself busy, so that has helped.

jenny515
03-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I personally have nothing in the house chocolate. I even got rid of the cocoa powder and the unsweetened baking chocolate. This is too new to me to even take a chance. If its not in the house I can't eat it.

movielover
03-06-2009, 10:11 PM
TOM hit me! POOP!!! But I am still down almost 6 lbs, which is good!

I think the cravings are over for the most part, I forgot how much better I felt without all of the cr@p carbs in my bod!!!!

WELL done everyone....1 lbs lost is better then gaining or maintaing :)

zeffryn
03-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I personally have nothing in the house chocolate. I even got rid of the cocoa powder and the unsweetened baking chocolate. This is too new to me to even take a chance. If its not in the house I can't eat it.

Blech. I would have to be having one he!! of a craving to eat unsweetened baking chocolate!

haha.

Steen
03-07-2009, 06:57 AM
Ummmmm, I LOVE semi-sweet baker's chocolate. :love:

jenny515
03-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Believe me I would find something to make it sweet like maple syrup. I am a compulsive overeater and I can't have my triggers around me.

KimberlyHeidi
03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I am joining this thread. My husband this morning made eggs with peppers and I have been debating on when to restart SB for a bit now. So I went to the fridge and saw the root beer and cranberry juice and lemon lime seltzer and picked up the cranberry juice and said oh well SBD will have to wait. Then I thought what the **** am I doing and put it down and took the seltzer instead. So here I am jumping out on a limb like the first time and just saying this is it I am doing it. I dont even remember if my seltzer is allowed on phase 1 anyone know for sure?
So I am making a list and going to the market. I am extremely picky and dont like a lot of things and hate to cook so that helps right lol.
I had much luck with this plan years ago and fell off the wagon and could never get back on. I am at my highest weight ever and have to do this.
I def. need all the support I can get and if anyone can share their meals/ideas for them and snacks etc that would be great.
Looking fwd to getting to know everyone!

Kimberly

jennygirl531
03-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey all! So I'm starting at day 1 today and figured I'd join this group/thread to make it official since I've been waffling about whether to jump in SBD again. I've tried it a couple times before, only once made it through the first 2 weeks. I lost 8 lbs that time, but as soon as I had a taste of bread after that I went hogwild and started eating everything in sight! Hopefully I can be better prepared this time when I start adding things back in.

I'm a major sugar junkie, so this is the plan I keep coming back to b/c I know it really does address those cravings. It's just so hard to get past these first few days! Glad to see I'm not alone here! Good luck to all! -Jenny

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-07-2009, 12:11 PM
KimberlyHeidi,

Too bad you don't like to cook. I love to cook. Make yourself fall in love with it. Watch cooking shows (Food TV) or even Top Chef on Bravo. I find it so inspiring. What I love about cooking is blending flavors with herbs. I enjoy the chopping and dicing, all the prep work, using my beautiful dishes when I sit down to eat, cleaning my kitchen afterwards. It's such a state of mind, it's so therapeutic, and what I love about SB is that you have to cook EVERYTHING. It's heaven for me, and if you could browse through books and magazines and just fall in love with the creation of meals, you'd have a wonderful time of it.

KathleenP
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi all, this is my first day. I did phase 1 last May and did great until the first day of phase 2. The whole grain cereal I ate made me nuts and I ate everything I could get my hands on. This time around I will be more careful-when I start with whole grains I'm going to eat them in the evening so I'll be asleep when the cravings get to me. I hope it will help anyway.

swandive81
03-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Echoing what AnAbsoluteDiva said... just a suggestion, if you have the time and money, perhaps take a cooking class... many culinary schools and even some stores (Sur La Table, for example, and some grocery chains) have novice classes in the evening, and they're great fun... the most valuable thing I ever learned was how to properly cut an onion... changed everything for me (although i still cry)!

KimberlyHeidi
03-07-2009, 08:26 PM
AnAbsoluteDiva & Swan: I know I wish I liked to cook. My husband is the cook of the house and is always watching cooking shows and is a little obsessed lol. His brother is actually a chef and I think my DH needs to change his career although he claims its just a hobby. I like to bake sweets but thats about it lol.

So Day 1 went ok. I felt kinda crappy and not so great. My nutritionist really wants me to start with phase 2 or at least 1 1/2 as everytime last time I added something slowly in I would gain so I would be stuck with phase #1. Still not sure about that and am going to talk to her Monday about it.

So here is my menu. I was away most of the day and it didnt go exactly as planned.

Break: eggs and peppers and seltzer water
snack: baby spinach salad with some turkey and low fat cheese mixed in with a small amount of dressing
Lunch: 2 scoops of tuna and a fat free "strawberry" (fake strawberry) smoothie
snack: missed it
Dinner: Grilled lemon chicken with grilled veggies and diet pepsi
And for dessert I will have my sf ff fudge pop

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-08-2009, 12:20 PM
God bless you for being able to eat tuna and a strawberry shake in the same meal. Not to mention eggs and seltzer water.

When you say a small amount of dressing, how small an amount is that? I remember measuring two tablespoons of salad dressing for the first time. Jeez.... it isn't much.

Measuring cups and spoons are the greatest teachers.

Cook WITH your husband. It's an incredibly intimate experience and you'll see how much fun it is. DH and I take turns being executive chef and sous chef. We love it!

murphmitch
03-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Cook WITH your husband. It's an incredibly intimate experience and you'll see how much fun it is. DH and I take turns being executive chef and sous chef. We love it!
You're giving me ideas here! :devil:

jenn100
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi all! I am not new to website but new to SBD. I am starting tomorrow. I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago and lost 110 lbs. I have since gained back 40 lbs. I don't feel as healthy and am tired alot so I need to get back on track and this seemed the best way to do it. I am a single mom, a full-time college student and part-time legal secretary. I am also engaged to a wonderful man. He is very supportive and is willing to do this with me as support. I can use all the support I can get so I decided that posting here is a good start.

cbrown27
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
"What we resist persists!"

cbrown27
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Starting TOMORROW!!!

Help!

I am going to be successful this time. Anyone on here watched the movie, The Secret? (It is more like a documentary....but it was somewhat helpful.)

wish4fit
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Looks like a few of us will be starting tomorrow. :hug: I am here to join in :carrot:! I did Phase 1 back in early fall and had lots of luck following SB... until about a month ago. I have been slip-slip-slipping and know I need to kick-start myself back on plan. I went shopping, made a meal plan and am feeling good. I've also been taking Deep Water Exercise classes the past few weeks and will be attending those. GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE STARTING ANEW AND ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE OP OR MAINTAINING! :carrot:

lanagrace
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I am starting ph1 today. I am not that excited about it but I must do something about my cravings and binge eating. I want to lose weight but I would love to get rid of the carb cravings. I am just scared becuase I have a 20 mth old and stay at home and dont have time for fancy recipes. I am making tacos tonight but Ill eat mine in a salad style. I dont like artificial sweeteners either except for stevia. Wish me luck I need it!

lanagrace
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
The phase 1 doesnt put you in ketosis right? I am just worried about it causing some health problems or something. I thought we needed carbs to function though? I am in the process of reading the book. Thanks

jenny515
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I also am staying away from artificial sweetners. So I don't do the sugar free fat free processed foods at all. I keep it close to nature. Lots of eggs, fish, turkey, lowfat cheese, load of vegetables. I keep track of my carbs, proteins and fats on fitday even though I know it isn't necessary.
My carbs usually are 30 -35%. I wouldn't consider that low carb.
When I start adding a fruit or two I imagine it will be closer to 40%.

Ruthxxx
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
You definitely should not be in ketosis on Phase I. If you follow the Phase I guidelines, you will be getting enough carbs through legumes and dairy.
(I hope you are reading the newest version of the book as foodlists have changed since the original issue. Check out our Phase I food list in the FAQ Section. )

KO
03-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Jenn I had Roux En Y about 2.5 years ago I'm still working on the last 20! I'll gladly help you out with any input I can give!
I'm starting Ph 1 tomorrow
I have a root canal tonight!

lanagrace
03-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I just had two boiled eggs, a low sodium v8 and a glass of milk. I am pretty full but not stuffed. I usually eat a good bfast. I am not sure what to have for lunch I havent prepared every meal plan yet. Can we have boca burgers on phase 1? It says on the package south beach approved but it doesnt say which phase. Thanks

wish4fit
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Great job on your bfast, Lana! I'm not sure if Boca's are Phase 1 or 2...I think a good rule of thumb in Phase 1 is to eat everything fresh and not packaged, then you can be sure you are on plan. Phase 2 is more lenient, so having a Boca or other packaged food is okay once in awhile, but you gotta get to Phase 2 first :).

I'm posting my meal plan here b/c it helps me to stay on track. If anyone else would post their's, I'm curious to see what other "P1-ers" are eating.

Brk- 4 slices turk bac, slice of prov cheese
snack - coffee with milk
lunch - cucumber salad, turkey meatloaf with peppers and onion
snack - edamame
dinner - black bean and veggie soup

Have a great day everyone!

Angela :hug:

madridguiri
03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Today I ate:

B: scrambled eggs w/ a dash of cheese
L: vegetable soup, celery w/ light cheese
D: turkey burger, vegetable soup
S: 15 walnuts, SF yogurt

I live in Europe so I already ate dinner. I still have to eat my after dinner snack. Maybe another yogurt?

Ruthxxx
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Boca burgers? Depends on the ingredients which vary from type to type. Some of them have wheat in them which means they may be OK for Phase II but not for Phase I.

TheBeesKnees
03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello!!!! New to the beach here as well and started P1 today. I picked up the SuperCharged version of the book and skimmed through. Although, I'll read more during lunch.

So, if you wouldn't mind...what do you think of today's menu? I was able to pack my snacks and lunch in my Mr.Bento so I'm excited about that :)

Breakfast:
3 mini-quiches: 3/4 cup of ready-egg, spinach, baby bella mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and parmesan reggiano cheese. V8 light sodium and a cup of coffee.

Snack:
3 Baby bell peppers stuffed with Hummus from Trader Joe’s

Lunch:
Grilled Chicken w/Buffalo Wing Sauce (so happy), steamed broccoli, ½ cup of edamame beans & V8 light sodium

Snack:
Grape tomatoes halved, sliced low-fat string cheese stirred in 1 tbsp of pesto (from Trader Joe’s)

Dinner:
Baked Tilapia w/Louisiana Gem Hot Sauce, steamed spinach & broccoli

Dessert:
Sugar Free Jello cup & 1 8oz. Glass of Non-Fat Milk

jenny515
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
It looks good to me but this is day 5 for me.

Menu today:
B: omelett with spinach and peppers topped with salsa
S: celery w/ light laughing cow cheese wedge
L: Large salad with spinach, romaine, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion
with balsamic viniagrette Salmon baked
S: walnuts
D: Stir fried Veggies, peel n eat shrimp, small salad with romaine, cucumber and onion.

lanagrace
03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I ate some canned salmon, steamed brussel sprouts, 1/4 cup black beans, tbs of salsa, and a 1/4 of an avocado for some fat since the salmon didnt hardly have any and a 1/2 cup of milk. The milk is going to be my problem. I could drink 4-5 cups a day! I may not be able to drink just 2 maybe have to have 3. I know I am bad. That was my lunch by the way. I had some red bell pepper and hummus for a snack but it was 30 mins before my lunch cuz I had a late snack and got so hungry. I also lifted weights today.

abbyscoolmommy
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi all! I am back on the beach after being off since last summer. My obgyn "highly" recommends that if we want another child that I lose weight and do it using South Beach. We went grocery shopping this morning and I upped our weekly budget by $75. There is no such thing as cheap produce where I live. I just finished an hour prepping in the kitchen for the week of work lunches and snacks, even dessert. Here's on week 1 menu:

Breakfast - veggie quiche cups from book
Snacks - celery, cucumbers with veggie dipping sauce (light sour cream & powder packet) and zucchini chips
Lunch - either bean salad with lite ving. (found Paul Newman's lite for 1g sugar) or turkey curry wrap
Dinner - got even planned to get me through Saturday
Dessert - cheescake cups

Thank you so much for all your recipe posts! I spent hours over the weekend reading, writing down and now get to eat!

I even started day 1 interval training which thankfully ok with my physical therapist. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

lanagrace
03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Can everyone look at my menu

bfast- 2 boiled eggs and a low sodium v8 and a glass of milk

snack- hummus and red pepper

Lunch-1/2 can of salmon, brussel sprouts, 1/4 c of black beans and salsa and 1/4 of avocado

snack-cucumbers and red pepper with hummus and 1 oz of cheese and 1 tsp of almond butter

dinner- homeade lean taco meat on a bed of lettuce with salsa, 1/4 c of black beans, low fat cheese, olives, tbs of light sour cream.

I feel like I am eating too much fat but its good fats. I am also drinking alot of water.

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
My diet is super high in fat, too. I'm at about 40% protein, 45% fat, and 15%carbs. Jeez! Those avocados will get you every time!

Anyway, today is Day 8. Got through the first week without much of a hitch. Calories averaged at about 1100/day (although today was only 800) and what I'm most looking forward to next week is a bowl of oatmeal with a banana so I can go run my stinking five miles.

Phase 2 means I get to hit the gym :wl: and lace up my running shoes!!!:tread:

KO
03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
The Plan for Tomorrow
is
B Broc Cheese Quiche
S Atkins Shake with Coffee (I know not 100% Ph 1 but I have to go to the store for some bonus Protein)
Lunch Chicken Breast & Salad
S Cashews
Dinner
London Broil and Smashed Cauliflower

zeffryn
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Plan for tomorrow:

I don't have DS1 in the morning so I will actually have a minute to make something.

B: cinnamon omelet with ricotta filling; fenugreek tea; water
S: hummus and veggies; water
L: grilled turkey burger sans bun; bean salad with tomatoes and onions; milk
S: deviled eggs (2); celery; water
D: fish tacos with tilapia wrapped in lettuce leaves with cilantro, tomatoes, pico de gallo and cheddar; roasted asparagus; milk
S: apple with peanut butter ricotta (I know it isn't phase 1, but I need the extra carbs because I'm nursing); water

I definitely cannot have fruit any other time than after dinner or it makes me crave like crazy. For the last few nights, I've been having a half apple with 3 celery sticks with a T. of peanut butter and it's really satisfied any sweet cravings I might have. I tried an apple in the mid afternoon last week and I was ravenous the rest of the evening. Live and learn, I guess. I also learned that I can have grains for breakfast or dinner, but not for lunch or afternoon snack or I get really hungry for the rest of the day.

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Zeff,

I'm so jealous you're eating fruit.

Say hi to the bananas for me, will ya?

zeffryn
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Zeff,

I'm so jealous you're eating fruit.

Say hi to the bananas for me, will ya?

I can't. My son ate them all.

...in one sitting when I was in the shower.

TheBeesKnees
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I fell off of Day 1 already (yesterday).

I'm not going to give up...going back on the pony and do my best today.

Despite the fact that on the counter here at my desk at the office, they laid out an entire tray of various girl scout cookies. Basically in front of my face. :sigh:

jennygirl531
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
So, I have a dh and 4 kids...I don't like to make separate meals, so I always try to make something for dinner that they'll like that's easy for me to get what I need out of it. Pasta dinners are always difficult (if I can't eat the spaghetti, what can I eat???) So, last night I made spaghetti with chicken sauce. Instead of the pasta, I ate it over my veggies. It was super yummy & very easy, so I thought I'd share it. I don't much like the jarred sauces (plus they generally have sugar in them) so I use two cans of diced Itallian ready tomatoes instead. I pan cooked some chicken tenders, chopped them up and then add the tomatoes and let it simmer a bit. Super easy! I know there's a limit to the amount of tomatoes you're allowed, but I don't think even the amount in the sauce would be one tomato (at least what I ate).

Good luck to all today!
Jenny

PS: Beesknees...you can do it! Get back up there!! (just a little encouragement from one "petite" (5'2") gal to another) ;)

KO
03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
today has not gone as planned
But I've yet begun to fight
My Throat and Mouth are still super sore from the root canal
Its 1.5 today
Breakfast
1/3 chicken breast half (not a good idea)
1 cup 1%milk heated through with a tbsp of instant coffee
2 tbsp PB
slice of 2% cheese
Snack
1 packet Oats ( iwas going nuts for food and was nauseous!)
Lunch 7 oz 2% Greek Yogurt
Possibly some cottage cheese in a bit
Snack LCL
Dinner still going to make the London broil it has to get cooked
but will prolly have ff RF beans and rf mexican cheese
or Tuna

Snack LCL

murphmitch
03-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I know there's a limit to the amount of tomatoes you're allowed, but I don't think even the amount in the sauce would be one tomato (at least what I ate).

I've never heard of a limit on tomatoes. I think you can eat as much as you want.

dangerouscurves76
03-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi all! Today is my 2nd day on SBD. :D In the past, I've had success on the Fat Smash Diet. But it never helped me control my cravings and intense need for all things sweet! :mad: So here I am...trying to break an addiction I've had my entire life.

Wish me luck!

madridguiri
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Today went well. Tomorrow is day three, and my plan is:

B: two scrambled eggs
L: smoked salmon, side salad
D: turkey meatballs, roasted vegetables
S: SF yogurt, walnuts

Hopefully all goes as planned. I might need another snack in there.

zeffryn
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I need to make more bean salad tonight. It was really filling and really hit the spot today.

The plan for tomorrow:

B: scrambled eggs with peppers, onions, mushrooms and spinach
L: tuna and white bean salad (tuna, white beans, red onion, tomato and vinaigrette )
D: chicken tacos - I'll have one tortilla and one on lettuce; roasted broccoli and cauliflower
S: red peppers and hummus; celery and peanut butter

--

ETA: found a great way to enjoy peanut butter with fewer calories. I mixed a teaspoon of peanut butter with 1/4 cup of part skim ricotta cheese. I scooped it up with celery sticks. It gave just enough peanut butter flavor without having to use an entire fat allotment.

jennygirl531
03-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I've never heard of a limit on tomatoes. I think you can eat as much as you want.

Ok, I'm going by the old book. On the foods to avoid for Phase 1, it says tomatoes should be limited to 1 whole or 10 cherry a meal. Maybe that changed w/ the new book?

...And now I've looked at the new revised food list and I see that tomatoes have been taken off the limited list and put on the ok list...good to know ;) Oh, and I can have milk now??? Woweecazowee!!! :)

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-11-2009, 08:55 AM
JennysGirl,

A lot has changed since Volume 1. I was also pleasantly surprised to see tomatoes on Phase 1, as well as milk. I am secretly hopeful that bananas will work their way to Phase 1 sometime soon.

Yesterday I was up .2 of a pound and today I'm down a full pound. So happy! I've been very good with the food, watching my portions, staying away from all the white stuff, but I have "cheated" for sure with chardonnay. Three different evenings I had a couple of glasses of white wine and that's taboo on Phase 1, I know.

Yesterday I was downright falling asleep I was so tired. I never knew what an effect my "old" foods had on my body until I eliminated them.

I'm so looking forward to my oatmeal and banana breakfast next week. You don't know!
---------merge ---------------------------
I can't. My son ate them all.

...in one sitting when I was in the shower.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Barb0522
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I remember when bananas were not allowed on phase 2. That was one of my happiest days when they started allowing them.

zeffryn
03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

he didn't have a bm for three days :o

wish4fit
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi ladies,

Great news on the tomatoes! And bananas on Phase 2 - YIPPEE! :carrot: I was also going off the first volume of the book which I picked up at the library. This is really great news!

Day 3 for me and still going strong :strong:! I didn't post yesterday so I've got 2 menus here:

Day 2-
Brk - leftover turkey loaf with peppers and onions
Snk - coffee with milk
Lun - Black bean and veggie soup
Snk - peanuts
Din - side salad and a bun-less hamburger

Day 3 -
Brk - 4 slices turk bacon, cabot cheese snack
snk - coffee with milk
Lun - Black bean and veggie soup
Snk - peanuts
Din - spinach and feta stuffed chicken, green salad

zeffryn
03-12-2009, 11:01 AM
On the plan for today:

B: leftover chicken taco filling; sauteed mushrooms; coffee with skim milk
S: hard boiled egg
L: "taco salad" - leftover chicken taco filling, micro greens, tomatoes, onions, red bell pepper, light sour cream and salsa 'dressing'
S: yogurt
D: chickpea daal; brown rice (phase 2 appropriate); roasted broccoli and cauliflower; milk
S: apple with peanut butter ricotta

wish4fit
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Zeff - tell me about your chickpea daal...I LOVE Indian anything!

Half way through Day 4 now. I've had incredible sugar cravings yesterday an today :(. Guess that means the 'detoxifying' is working. It sure does make this hard though!

Today:
B: 2 slices of string cheese (slept in!!!)
S: Peanuts
L: Small serving of black bean and veg soup, BIG spinach salad w/ cucumber
S: latte?
D: Veggie and tofu stir fry (rice for DH but not me)

zeffryn
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.recipezaar.com/Chickpea-Daal-Indian-24351

I haven't tried it before but have an abundance of chickpeas and love indian food :)

wish4fit
03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Yum - that picture looks amazing! I'm salivating at the thought of it!!! Give us a review tomorrow. From the looks of it though, you are going to be very happy with supper :)!

zeffryn
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I ended up postponing the daal. I was seriously craving pizza, so I made the spaghetti squash pie. I really love Indian food, but I knew I wouldn't appreciate it as much as I could have.

Oy, today has been hard. I was craving salt like crazy. DH was having chips with his lunch and I had to have him put them away in the pantry because I was afraid that if I even touched the bag that I would ravage it. I also made him finish the crumbs on his plate :) I prevailed in the end. I'm wondering if TOM is coming, although it could just be the hormones in the IUD. I was also craving the he!! out of pizza this afternoon. Dinner pretty much killed that craving. mmm.

I'm thinking of making some jello, but I haven't had fruit today so maybe I'll have an apple.

Chelby29
03-12-2009, 10:10 PM
We had spaghetti squash pie for lunch. Will your son eat it? Auston says NO!

zeffryn
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Calvin loves it...I haven't really found much that he doesn't love. He's a freakin' garbage disposal like his Dad.

madridguiri
03-13-2009, 05:43 AM
I'm still on phase one. I had a few slip ups, like an apple and one ounce of chocolate. Nothing too bad, but I was CRAVING carbs last night. I ate a big bowl of white bean soup and felt better.

Tonight I'm going out to eat at a tapas bar. Might be difficult to follow the plan. However, I have celiac disease, so I'm allergic to anything with gluten anyway. Helps me follow SB when you can't eat bread/beer/desserts/etc. mostly everything.

swandive81
03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
I've been to tapas several times, and usually find it relatively easy... grilled shrimp in garlic, steamed mussels, fritatas, etc... mmm! have fun :)

wish4fit
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Zeff/Chelby: I love the spag squash pie! It's one of my favorites. The recipe I have calls for 1/2 cup of WW flour though, so it's P2 only. I'll have to look up the one posted here to see if it's flourless. Maybe I'll have a new P1 treat!

Madrid - Tapas are GREAT for SB! Cheese and olives, lots of meats on sticks, mushrooms in garlic and olive oil, etc. Since you'll be avoiding the bready stuff and booze anyway, you will be fine. Enjoy your evening out!

I went to an hors d oeuvres party last night thinking I would be okay because I had a nice dinner before hand...It turned out to be a mistake because I just didn't do as well as I thought I would :(. I didn't truly over-do it, but I had a little bite of this and that do did not stay OP. This is not going to help me get rid of my cravings! GRRR. What's done is done though, and I am back on it today.

Menu:
B: 2 string cheese, coffee and milk
L: roasted squash, zuchinni and onion, turkey meatloaf, spinach salad
S: skim latte
D: turk sausage and saurkraut with green salad

zeffryn
03-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Today:

Breakfast: apple; cottage cheese; half serving nuts (it was late so was rather breakfast and snack)
L: black bean soup
D: chickpea daal; brown rice; roasted asparagus
Dessert: sf, ww chocolate cake with sf peanut butter frosting (phase 2, sorry)

Plan for tomorrow: It's supposed to be rainy, so comfort food is going to dominate the menu.

B: vegetable frittata; coffee; milk
S: celery sticks with hummus
L: lentil spinach soup
S: plain yogurt
D: Chicken enchiladas for the family, I'll make a little enchilada bake without the tortillas for myself; roasted broccoli; salad
S: chocolate cake with pb frosting

Wish4fit- the daal was really, really good. I subbed sweet potatoes for white potatoes and it still tasted really authentic. I wished that I had made some ww naan to have with it. The basmati was good, though.

wish4fit
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Zeff - your menus are making me drool! :drool: I am absolutely having your daal when I reach P2. Sounds fab!

I had a delicious breakfast called "Spanish Pisto Manchego with Eggs" - basically a veggie ragout with chorizo tossed in and a few eggs. It was so fancy I felt like I was eating an expensive weekend brunch instead of a 'diet' meal. Then again, SB has never felt like much of a diet to me, just healthy and yummy food! I am going to post it to the recipe thread in case anyone is interested.

I'm off to Indianapolis today to see "The Watchmen" on IMAX and then going to a Belgian Brasserie for dinner. I'm thinking I might get seafood and a salad. There's sure to be something SBD friendly on the menu.

Have a great weekend everybody!!! :carrot:

zeffryn
03-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Wish - You could omit the potatoes for phase 1. They are good, but it would be just as good without it.

Some things that I would add to the recipe - salt. It's very flavorful, but I added a bit of kosher salt to tie everything together. Also, I would decrease the amount of garam masala next time, probably by a tablespoon. The garam masala was really overpowering and I could barely taste the chana masala.

It was still really good, though.

wish4fit
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Maybe it's the weekend but our thread has been reallly quiet the last few days. Weekends are often the hardest and definitely a time where we can get off track. I should know as I had the "Pommes Fritte" with my mussells last night! :o I tried to make up for it today by doing a 5.5 mile walk. Still, I am supposed to be on P1 here! I had a great day today and am hoping this week I can do a better job of staying OP. One more week of Ph1 and I really want a clean round this time.

Todays menu:
B - egg whites w/ spinach and cheese
L - salad w/ tuna and yogurt
S - SF pudding
S - peanuts
D - Bean and ham soup with side salad

Tomorrows menu:
B - egg whites w/ sping and feta
S - peanuts
L - bean and ham soup
S - edamame
D - curry chicken and vegetables

movielover
03-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Tomorrow is say 1 of P2 for me...last time I went WAY to fast...so I was thinking of a banana after the workout in the morning, maybe with some PB. What do you all think?

I can not remember what I added back the first day on p2...it worked great!

No bread at all until after Easter as I gave it up for Lent!

Chelby29
03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
My first week on ph 2, I think I added a fruit every day. Grains and pasta scared me... But I got over that. :)

Barb0522
03-16-2009, 09:50 AM
movielover - I love bananas and eat one almost every day however they were not originally allowed on South Beach because they are higher glycemic than most other fruits. I would suspect you would do better to start with a lower glycemic fruit like berries.

KO
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Today's Plan
Post workout Snack Yogurt and Flax
Breakfast
St Pat's Day Spinach Quiche Super Yummy VERY GREEN
coffee with 1/2 a protein shake
Lunch
Black bean and veggie soup
Snack
1 srving of Roast Turkey breast

Dinner
not sure yet!

GradPhase
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Ph1D2 here! Trying to do it all from a dorm room refrigerator, microwave, and steamer bags. Might have to invest in a crock pot soon, but I've never even seen anyone use a crock pot before. Lots of learning to do!

oodlesofnoodles
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
hi everyone! i'm natalie. i'm 18, new to the SBD & this site. this place seems really cool. i lost like 50ish pounds on WW but i still ate crap and was hungry all the time (plus it's too much money!!) so now i've jumped on this bandwagon. i'm trying to lose about 40-50 pounds to get into the army. i'm on day 5 and i've lost 7 pounds so far. it's pretty tight :D, and i've managed to not cheat at all ('cept when i took a bite out of a banana when i wasn't thinking and promptly spit it out in the sink lmao)!! i think i would have lost more if i exercised more this weekend but i was being lazy.

anyway. i actually love this diet more than WW which shocks me (i was soo WW gungho). i can eat whenever i'm hungry and the recipes i've tried so far were soooo delicious. it didn't even taste like "diet" food. i'm so excited! i even inspired by best friend to go on it (she lives with me). weee insta support!

anyway, sorry for the novel. i'm just all energized and happy haha. have a good day everyone!

zeffryn
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Welcome, Oodles! Glad you are finding success so far!

-
On the plan for today:

I woke up rather late and after my morning chores and getting ready, it was too late for breakfast. I ended up having brunch.

Brunch: lentil and spinach soup, black bean patty
snack: cottage cheese
Dinner: Mexican chicken soup; jello
snack: apple with pb

TwynnB
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Welcome oodles!! Hope you like it here with us!

I wish I had found this diet when I was your age....I would've been in for a much better life of eating. Sigh...at least I started now!

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
What a pretty girl you are!

Love your energy, Natalie.

Welcome!!!

oodlesofnoodles
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
awwww thank you <3 and thanks you guys for being so nice and making me feel welcome! all of you guys are such beautiful and positive people. i think i'm really going to like it here lol. i joined 24 hour fitness today and signed up for the race for the cure 5k. AND i got my first boyfriend today. AND i resisted stuffed crust pizza.

i just pimped the universe in 1001 ways haha.
gnight everyone. :):)

swandive81
03-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Welcome, Natalie... you're having a great week, and it's only tuesday!! You must have done something great to earn all of this good karma :)

wish4fit
03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY ALL!!!! :)

Welcome Oodles! Sounds like you had a really BIG day yesterday! :)

Eskinomad - Crock pots are great for dorms! You can fill one up with all sorts of soups, beans and meats and then you'll have food for days. Crock-pot cooking is pretty simple too. I'd say go for it.

Me - I just realized SF pudding is NOT on P1. For some reason I had it in my head that it was! Oh well, knowledge is power...I had a great day yesterday otherwise. The scale says I'm down a pound but I'm going to give it a few more days before I actually believe it. Only 6 days left on P1 and I can have fruit! YAY!

Menu:
Brk - egg whites w/ spin and feta
Snk - cheese slice
Lunch - curry chicken with veg and side salad
Snk - 30 peanuts
Dinner - corned beef and cabbage (for St. Patty's Day, of course!)

zeffryn
03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey girls!

On plan for today:

B: Spinach frittata; milk
S: celery with hummus; water
L: leftover mexican chicken soup; strawberry jello
D: TBD. I haven't looked at my menu list yet.

me4life
03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
My first week on ph 2, I think I added a fruit every day. Grains and pasta scared me... But I got over that. :)

i still avoid grains and usually don't miss it at all but try to get some in...if i think about it

zeffryn
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
me4life - grains are a very important part of a balanced diet. They provide tons of health benefits. I don't have time to write them all, so try and check this (http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/what-are-the-health-benefits) link out.

Jenbird
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Jen and I'm new! New to this community and to the South Beach Diet. I'm on day 2 of Phase 1 and am so happy I've found this website for the support and info here. Hubby is doing the diet with me even though he really doesn't need to lose weight.

Yesterday's menu looked like this:

B: 2 mini frittatas, low-sodium V8
S: cheese stick
L: Giant salad of greens and baby spinach w/red pepper, cucumber and balsamic, 2 slices fat-free deli turkey
S: 30 pistachios, cucumber w/hummus
D: Salmon, asparagus, roasted tomatoes and baby spinach, milk
S: 1 Skinny Cow NSA chocolate popsicle (are these OK for Phase 1, does anyone know?? - I think they may still have too much sugar/calories)

And today:

B: Same as above
S: 1 slice fat-free deli turkey
L: chicken caesar salad, no croutons, no bacon, milk
S: cheese stick, 30 pistachios
D: pork tenderloin, cooked red cabbage, South Beach "mashed potatoes" (are these really good?? I'm skeptical but can't wait to make them!)

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Oops, forgot to mention - I accidentally ate a grape or two this morning before I realized I was messing up! My toddler was eating them and fed some to me. Only realized my mistake about ten minutes later! Am I doomed or what??! LOL

movielover
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Being on day 2 of P2 the guilt factor is coming back :) I remember feeling like I was cheating when I had some fruit...but then I remember I can!

murphmitch
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
S: 1 Skinny Cow NSA chocolate popsicle (are these OK for Phase 1, does anyone know?? - I think they may still have too much sugar/calories)

Looks like they all have sugar added. It's in the first three ingredients. Which kind of Skinny Cow popsicle did you have?

The fudge bars:
Ingredients:
skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, water, polydextrose, cocoa processed with alkali, cream, stabilizer [microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, locust bean gum, calcium sulfate, polysorbate 80, carrageenan

wish4fit
03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
MovieLover - I remember that guilt! But if you are on P2 then you are a-okay :). Congrats for making it there!

Jen - :welcome:! Your menu looks healthy and great for Ph1. Personally, I'd avoid the Skinny Cow pops during P1. If you really need a dessert there are some Ph1 Dessert recipes in the recipe threads. Better to make it at home and know exactly what you are eating :)!

Zeff - great job staying OP!

Me - I'm at work trying not to think about the huge tray of home-made brownies that were just brought in :(. Yesterday, it was donuts for a going away party. I swear, this is sabotage! :devil: I've resisted though and will get through this week of Ph1 100% CLEAN.

Menu:
B - egg white, spin and feta omlet
S - cheese stick
L - bean and ham soup
S - celery sticks
D - big salad before going to a friend's house for " mexican mole" (no tortillas or rice for me)

Jenbird
03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

OK, I checked the ingredients on my NSA Skinny Cow Fudge Bars. There is no sugar in the ingredients list, and they are sweetened with Sorbitol. However, there is potato starch low down on the list - weird. They list 6g of sugars in the nutrition info. So I will avoid them for the rest of Phase 1 and save them for Phase 2.

Here's my menu for today:

B: scrambled eggs w/low fat cheese, 2 slices "Canadian" bacon, V8
S: 30 pistachios
L: celery sticks w/laughing cow cheese, plain tuna, salad w/balsamic vinaigrette
S: cheese stick
D: chicken breast, roasted zucchini, red onion and yellow peppers, small caesar salad, milk

I'm only on day 3 and already I need to go grocery shopping. This isn't the cheapest diet, is it?? :)

movielover
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
You have done it before Angela, you will do it again!

beachgal
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
:welcome3: Natalie and Jen!

Hope you post an introduction thread so everyone can get to know you! :D

Jenbird
03-18-2009, 12:34 PM
:welcome3: Natalie and Jen!

Hope you post an introduction thread so everyone can get to know you! :D

Thanks! What does one usually post in an introduction thread? :)

AnAbsoluteDiva
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Jenbird,

You'll find that you're spending less money after your initial "stock". Hopefully, you cook a lot.

I find dry beans to be the way to go for the most bang for my buck.

Yogurt is expensive milk.

String cheese is just mozzarella cheese in cute packaging. You'll save a day's wages if you just buy a block of part-skim mozzarella and cut it into one-ounce servings yourself. I wrap each ounce in its own bit of plastic wrap and grab them as I need them.

I buy all the vegetables in their "out-of-the-earth" state. In other words, I don't buy bagged lettuce or spinach, or trimmed celery stalks.

I look to see what's on sale and work my menu around that.

I spend about $100 a week on groceries for my husband and me (children are grown and gone). We never eat out at lunch time (unless a girlfriend has a good juicy story to share in which case lunch at a restaurant is a must-do), but we always make enough at dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day.

Hope the cost doesn't deter you.

oodlesofnoodles
03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
hi jen! welcome!! i'm new too :)

i ate well today except in the morning... i had eggs and some squash from last night and then i went to my friends house and the gym.. i ended up going 6 hours without eating and i was starved. i felt terrible too... i've never felt so crappy in my effing life. i'm gonna keep string cheese and cashews in my gym bag from now on so that doesn't happen again...

wish4fit
03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Good morning chicks :)

Jen - I agree with Diva about grocery bills. Your initial costs when you are building up a spice collection, buying olive oils and vinegars, purchasing bulk items like beans and brown rice, etc. might seem expensive. Like Diva I always shop the weekly ad to help save, and I spend between $70 - $100 a week on me and my DH. If you think about how much going out to even one meal costs, it's actually pretty reasonable. That being said, you do shop and cook a lot on this plan. The grocery store becomes your best friend and before you know it you become a master chef! :)

I'm off to a good start today after dealing with some serious hunger yesterday. I had a demanding work day which sometimes makes me just ravenous. I made it through, but I was grumpy and felt picked on :mad! I felt so good this morning though and am really glad I stayed OP.

Today:
B - egg whites w/ spin and feta
S - Cheese stick
L - Bean and ham soup, side salad
S - celery sticks
D - Chicken sausage and kraut, side salad, maybe some asparagus

swandive81
03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Agreeing with Angela... the extra money I spend at the grocery store (and there is no denying that I do spend extra money) is more than offset by the savings I accrue not going out to dinner so much, or going out for drinks on the weekends.

I also found strawberries for $.99 for 2lbs the other day, which totally made my week!

zeffryn
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Swan - great deal on strawberries! I thought the $2.99 for 2 lbs. was a good deal!

-
Menu yesterday:
B: oatmeal with 3 strawberries
L: shepherd's pie minus the sweet potato topping (ground beef, carrots, celery, peppers, onion)
S: cottage cheese
D: huge salad (mesclun greens, peppers, onions, artichokes, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta, balsamic vin. and slivered almonds); 2 hard boiled eggs; unsweetened iced tea; apples
S: 6 triscuits

-
plan for today:

B: oatmeal with 3 strawberries (well, probably less as DS has been digging them out of the bowl)
S: cottage cheese and cucumbers
L: leftover pork cubed on a salad
D: pork tenderloin stuffed with roasted red peppers and spinach; roasted brussels sprouts; roasted red potatoes for the family; roasted cauliflower
S: apple with pb

KO
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Today's Menu
B Yogurt and flax
buffalo jerkey (yes really)
Coffee with soy creamer
s 6 almonds
black bean and veggie soup
L 3-6 slices hormel natural Turkey
2.5 cups salad
D
Either some kind of Turkey mushroom and Zuch "italian thing" over pasta for DH
or soy chorizo and black bean stew over WW cous cous for DH and salad for me

swandive81
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I think the berries may have been a mistake... 'cause we're talking NYC prices too.

zeffryn
03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Their mistake, your benefit!

lharvey180
03-19-2009, 01:24 PM
HI!!
I'm on my 4th day of SBD..thought I'd join this thread.

So...my menu for today.

B: 2 eggs omelette w/onions & peppers and shredded cheese
S: String Cheese & Hardboiled egg
L: small side salad w/ceasar dressing, red beans, celery, cherry tomatoes, red pepper and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
2 lettuce wraps w/deli turkey, ham, pickle and swiss cheese w/yellow mustard
S: 30 Pistachios and 1/2 a cucumber sliced w/salt & pepper
D: boneless pork chop w/ seasoning and green beans w/margaraine and garlick salt
S: Sugar free popsicle

Lyn2007
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey all,

I have a couple questions, and am trying to sort through a lot of info. I am trying to do Phase 1 (I did this back in 2003). My questions:

On phase 1...
hummus is ok? Is there a limit on beans and hummus products?
On the dairy... is there a limit on low fat cheese? I see a 2 cup limit on milk/yogurt, correct? Is there some kind of overall "dairy" limit? Is Laughing Cow Light okay? Light sour cream?
I have lean ground beef (15% lean) and lean ground turkey that is NOT breast. Are these okay?
Can someone direct me to an easy, no fuss method for making the mashed cauliflower that is a replacement for mashed potatoes?

That's all for now... thank you!

murphmitch
03-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey all,

I have a couple questions, and am trying to sort through a lot of info. I am trying to do Phase 1 (I did this back in 2003). My questions:

On phase 1...
hummus is ok? Is there a limit on beans and hummus products?
On the dairy... is there a limit on low fat cheese? I see a 2 cup limit on milk/yogurt, correct? Is there some kind of overall "dairy" limit? Is Laughing Cow Light okay? Light sour cream?
I have lean ground beef (15% lean) and lean ground turkey that is NOT breast. Are these okay?
Can someone direct me to an easy, no fuss method for making the mashed cauliflower that is a replacement for mashed potatoes?

That's all for now... thank you!
I don't know if there is a limit on hummus but it does contain oil so I usually limit myself to 2 TBS. Cheese is not counted as dairy so there is technically no limit as long as it is lowfat or reduced fat. However, some people don't lose as well if they eat a lot of cheese, especially in Phase II. Lean ground beef is considered 90% lean or higher. Check the turkey to see if it meets that criteria. The 2 cups dairy applies to milk and yogurt only, not cheeses. Light sour cream or FF sour cream is OK (Limit to 2 TBS listed in the FAQ's). Laughing Cow is OK and is under the cheese category. Print out the Phase I list from the FAQ's. Most everything is listed there.

Lyn2007
03-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks Anne!

Lyn2007
03-19-2009, 09:58 PM
So, my day 1 went like this:

Breakfast: egg beaters, 2% karft single cheese, 1 turkey sausage, spinach, green tea
Snack: protein water and small amt of peanuts
Lunch: salad of romaine, spinach, avocado, light sour cream, salsa, lean ground turkey/beef combo, black olives
Snack: few more peanuts, string cheese, baby carrots and hummus (and then I realized carrots are not Ph 1... oops)
Dinner: lean steak, mashed cauliflower, roasted broccoli.

I think I did pretty well...

me4life
03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
just a suggestion if your using the hamburg in something you can rinse it off in a strainer and get rid of some of the fat before using it

zeffryn
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm making a buttload of the egg cups in a few different varieties. DH and DS1 love them and they tend to eat my OP breakfast!

ritosgirl
03-21-2009, 04:04 PM
hello! i just started the south beach diet... on my 6th day. i've had a complete blast so far with all the recipes that i can make! this morning, i made almond meal pancakes... for dinner white bean turkey meatloaf... and dessert keylime frozen cheesecake. i thought that i was going to be hungry, and missing all those tasty carbs... but, i don't!! i'm down 6 pounds... that is incredibly motivating!

Ruthxxx
03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
:welcome: Ritosgirl and congrats on such a good start!

swandive81
03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Welcome, Ritosgirl!!

Would you mind posting the keylime cheesecake recipe on the boards? I am a keylime pie fiend...

Lyn2007
03-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd appreciate any feedback on my menu yesterday. I am trying to do Phase 1.

Breakfast: 2 eggs over easy cooked in Pam, 1 low fat turkey sausage, steamed fresh asparagus, green tea.
Lunch: cauliflower mashed with a little light canola butter and a tiny bit of light sour cream. Serving of the BBQ beans recipe on this site (made with onions, peppers, tomato sauce (no sugar), pinto/kidney/black beans, and leftover lean steak).
Snacks: I got hungry frequently. I had about 10 peanuts, 20 pistachios, a low fat string cheese, 2 slices of deli virginia baked ham, a slice of deli roasted turkey breast, a bit of mustard, about 3/4 c of low fat cottage cheese with a sugar-free jello mixed into it.
Dinner: I made chicken nuggets by cubing chicken breast, dipping in egg beaters, rolling in seasoned parmesan cheese and baking. Also had a large helping of steamed broccoli with 1/2 wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese melted in. For dessert I had a sugar free jello cup.
Evening snack: I was hungry again and I made myself a cup of herbal tea with about 1/3 c nonfat milk in it.

Is it normal to get hungry every hour or two? Am I eating too much dairy or anything? I feel like I should be feeling worse, or getting crazy sugar cravings, or dropping a lot of pounds. This was day 3 of eating this way and this morning I am down 3 pounds, but part of that is due to my cycle I think.

Am I doing anything wrong here? Advice? The only thing I am doing that I *know* is questionable is I am using agave nectar sparingly, once or twice a day in my tea (no more than 2 tsp total/day = 30 calories) and counting it in my Sweet Treat allowance, since some folks say it is allowed and some say not.

me4life
03-22-2009, 05:05 PM
i think everyone is different as far as hunger but basically if you are getting hungry so soon after i would say your not eating enough. i never feel like i'm dieting on sb.

Lyn2007
03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
me4life... if you have time, would you mind posting a day's menu for yourself so I can see what you eat to stay satisfied?

I feel like I am full after I eat, but later hungry again.

Schmoodle
03-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Lyn, your menu looks pretty good. The only thing that might be a little low is healthy fats. You can add 2 T/day of salad dressing, mayo, or mono-unsaturated cooking oil like olive or canola. I do try not to go too lowfat because it is the fat that has some staying power as far as keeping me satisfied.

Of course, you could just be having a hungry day. I get those, oh, about once a month. Some months worse than others and I just feel like I want to eat all day. I deal with it by breaking my meals up into lots of snacks so I know I can munch every hour or two, pretty much all day if I want to.

Lyn2007
03-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks Schmoodle. Sometimes I just want to dive into a vat of carbs. I'm doing ok tho.

wish4fit
03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I've been AWOL since Friday because, yes, I slipped. I caught a cold and went into P2. I'm not proud for not finishing, but at least I didn't go off the deep end and go totally off plan. I'm glad to see so many of you hanging in there still!
Astonishingly, I only lost 1 pound after 11 dilligent days of Phase 1. These last pounds are so difficult to lose! I plan to step up my exercise and keep a closer eye on my fat and calorie intake for the next couple of months.

:welcome2: Lyn! Good luck on P1! I think your menu looks great. The only thing you might add is another serving of vegetables or two. Maybe you are just hungry because your body is adjusting to a new way of eating. Stick with it!

beachgal
03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
:welcome3: Ritosgirl! Glad you're finding the recipe forums helpful. I think they're great, too! Post an introduction thread in the forum so everyone can welcome you, okay?

Betsi
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone, I'm back to Phase 1 today after slowly drifting farther and farther from healthy eating from December through February. Trying to exercise more too, but the soreness the next day is so hard.

Doing well today, except the Cool Whip Lite I had with my flourless PB cookies at lunch had WAY more carbs that I realized. I was in a hurry at the store and foolishly figured it was fine since it had the SBD logo. Argh. :mad: I did ok with CW last time, not really a cravings trigger or weightloss stopper for me, so maybe it's ok. :?: I'm going to check labels and see if I can figure out if there's a lower sugar type of Cool Whip I used last Fall. Their site says they have a Sugar Free version, but I can't find it in stores.

But eesh, that's enough ranting about Cool Whip, LOL. :soap: Hope you all are doing well today. Keep up the GREAT work everyone. :D

Jenbird
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
So here I am, one week into SBD and Phase 1. I don't think I've gone OP at all really, and am enjoying this much more than I thought. I think the "cold turkey" approach to carbs and sugar works for me much better than the Weight Watchers Points plan where I technically can have whatever I want.

So on weigh-in day yesterday morning, after one week I was down...wait for it...drumroll please.....8.5 lbs.!!! I was quite shocked and happy, needless to say. My hubby was down 6 lbs. And then, when I weighed myself again this morning just to see if it was a fluke, my loss totalled 11 lbs.!!! WTF?? I'll see what the scale says tomorrow as I just don't believe it - too good to be true! Phase 1 is hard, but the rapid weight loss is addictive! I think the next week will fly by and then I will be into Phase 2 and will have a piece of fruit to celebrate, LOL.

Hope you all have an easy week and satisfying losses!

me4life
03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
lol...mine did the same thing but after 11 it slowed right down and i was like you i didn't have a problem going cold turkey

Karen
03-25-2009, 10:18 AM
After straying for a few weeks, I am finally back on track. It looks like this IS the only plan for me. I don't know why I always think I could do better on another plan. But anyway, I started back yesterday and I weighed in this morning. My ticker is correct so that means that I'm still down 10.4 since January 2. I am also adding some exercising in this time and am hoping I'll have better results. I'll be doing Phase 1 until I get rid of the cravings again. It will probably take me the two weeks. But, here we go...

Betsi
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome back to the Beach, Karen!

Well, it's Day 4 for me and I'm loving the food and the weight loss (down 4 lbs now, woo!) but I'm nervous as heck about going to a party on Saturday, and about the transition into Phase 2. I really think I should spring for the Supercharged book, see if that helps.

I'm also getting really antsy to exercise more, but I've barely been mobile after I hurt my back on Monday night - and I wasn't even exercising at the time. Yeesh.