100 lb. Club - I'm so disgusted...

View Full Version : I'm so disgusted...

lindalou0510
03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
This whole weight loss thing is just so hard. *sigh*

I'm so frustrated, angry and disgusted. For the past month, I have counted calories, stayed within my limits. I am at the gym 5 weekday mornings at 530am. I work out with a trainer Tue/Thu. I am at the gym on Saturdays.

And what do I have to show for it.....NOTHING! ZERO! NADA!

I realize, in my head, that this is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooong process of ups and downs. I know that the weight will eventually have to give up, and I will see results.

I can stay in bed, eat what I want, and get the same results I'm getting now! And I wouldn't have to be killing myself to lose not a POUND! What the heck!!!!!

I'm sure this dark mood will pass, but I wonder to myself on days like today. WHY am I getting up every day at 530am when nothing seems to be happening?

I'm just feeling a little frustrated and angry with myself. I have pushed myself in the past month, even as far as injuring myself ( I think I have tendonitis in my arm, and I pulled my calf muscle working out with the trainer today! AUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!)

:mad:

Sandi
03-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Linda -

How quickly did the first 7 lbs come off? Some people just lose at a much slower rate.

Do you calorie count? What's your plan? Maybe if you share the details of you plan and what you eat in a typical date, we can help.

Buckeye
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I hear ya. I'm frustruated too. However, I know that the first 10 pounds came off really quick and I think that my body is adjusting. I know i am still losing inches because I can tell by the way my clothes fit and I see it in my face, too. I even saw my cheekbones yesterday! It sounds as though you are working out pretty hard. I wonder if you are eating enough??

DCHound
03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I have lost A LOT of weight in a very short amount of time--98 lbs in 6 1/2 months--but I stalled out pound-wise about 2 months ago and haven't really lost since then. It was really frustrating.

Then! I saw on an old thread that I had posted my size a month ago. I haven't lost any pounds in the last month but I have lost a whole size!

So ~ don't get discouraged! With all the great healthy stuff you are doing, you are definitely losing fat! Sometimes the scale is not our friend! You are doing great!!

Kae
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I have been experiencing this as well... I think I have been not eating enough calories on the days I work out.

lindalou0510
03-03-2009, 01:55 PM
According to the scale at home it's 7lbs. At the gym, it's not even 2 lbs. I calorie count daily, and keep track on The Daily Plate. I don't really count the workout calories, and I try to stay under 1800 a day. My trainer tells me to eat 3000 a day! UMM NO! I can't eat that much food.

My typical day goes something like this.

Breakfast
Oatmeal with raisins
Banana

Mid morning:
Apple

Lunch
Chicken breast, one slice cheese on Oat Bran Bread
A smatter of organic mayo
Orange

Mid Afternoon
Yogurt and/or sliced peaches

Dinner:
It depends, but here are a couple of samples

Ground Turkey tacos (2) with lettuce, tomato, avocado.
Fish (Swordfish, Tilapia) with rice and vegetables
Veggie salad w/2 tbsp dressing and one serving of croutons

Evening Snack:
Skinny Cow ( I love these!)
or
Yogurt covered raisins

I don't drink pop. I don't drink alcohol. I LOVE propel fitness water, but I have cut back on that and drink it only with dinner. Other than that, its plain old water!

I work out Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat on my own. 45 mins on the elliptical at level 5, per my trainer.
Tue/Thu I work out for one hour with my trainer. We box, we do circuits, we do squats, we do the stepper.

So, what gives!!!! LOL

Buckeye
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Have you taken your measurements? Are you seeing a difference in the way your clothes fit?

Kae
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I would definately say stick to weighing on one scale only! ... Think about it this way though, even if you weigh on the other scale you have still lost 7 pounds, but your highest weight would be a little higher. Either way you have still lost the 7 lbs!

Ija
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
How far below 1800 do you go? Your sample menu didn't seem like it was nearly that many calories. Is it possible that you're overdoing it?

daniela
03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
According to the scale at home it's 7lbs. At the gym, it's not even 2 lbs. I calorie count daily, and keep track on The Daily Plate. I don't really count the workout calories, and I try to stay under 1800 a day. My trainer tells me to eat 3000 a day! UMM NO! I can't eat that much food.

I know it sounds crazy but I would listen to your trainer and eat more. I'm not sure about 3000 cal a day (I'm not an expert) but I would up it to at least 2,000 and then maybe even more. To give you some perspective I'm 5'6, 188 and I'm eating 1,900cal on days I workout and 1,700 on days I don't. My weight loss has slowed since I got under 200 but I'm still averaging a 1.8 lbs loss per week.

If you're still worried see your doctor for advice.

By the way you are off to a great start don't get discouraged :hug: Getting up at 5am to workout that's hardcore :D

H8cake
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't give up, losing weight is hard and sometimes very slow. You have to make up your mind that you are tougher than the fat- you will win the fight over it! Maybe you can make some adjustments to your program to make it more doable for yourself. If you can't keep up with the early morning gym schedule could you do it later in the day? I have always had to fight myself to exercise so I started out very easy, walking on the treadmill. I'm in my fourties and I don't lose fast. I've had to keep telling myself that it's okay, I'm not going to lose it quick like some of the younger ladies here at 3fc. It's so worth it to stick with it, even if it takes a lot longer than you would like.

lindalou0510
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone!

The morning gym routine is really best for me, and I actually enjoy going first thing. I get it over with, and I have my evenings to enjoy and do with as I please.

I guess we all want fast results, and when they don't come, it's easy to just throw the towel in and say FORGET IT! However, I'm not doing that! I will stay with it, but I just needed to vent!

I will try to eat a few more calories. I become obsessive about watching what I eat, the scale, etc. 3000 calories is just too much, but perhaps I've put myself into starvation mode!

I refuse to give in and give up! Failure is not an option!

daniela
03-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I will try to eat a few more calories. I become obsessive about watching what I eat, the scale, etc. 3000 calories is just too much, but perhaps I've put myself into starvation mode!

I can relate especially to the obsessing part. I see your goal is 150...think about it if you are eating 1800 cal now how low are you going to go when you have the last 10lbs to lose? Eat some more, stop stressing, and keep at it :carrot:

JayEll
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Just FYI, a trainer I started working with said that I should be eating more, too. I didn't want to believe that. No way. If I couldn't lose at 1350 cals a day, why on earth should I think I would lose at more?

But, I looked around at different calculators, and for my current activity level, they all said something similar to what my trainer is saying. So I decided to give it a try anyway for a month. Why not?

Bottom line: I'm 17 days into it and I have lost 4 pounds. That's faster than I used to lose when I was heavier! And I'm eating more. I'm never hungry.

Jay

sweetandspicy
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
That is great!!! When I got my LAWL plan a week ago I thought it was more food than I ever would eat. But I talked to a nutritionist and she explained to me it is the combinations of food and the way your body breaks down the food that matters. So I hope my plan continues to work and yours does too!!!

MugCanDoIt
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Lindalou: Im in your boat as well and it is frustrating me so bad I cry. Dont think you're alone....Im gonna keep an extra super de-dooper eye on my calories, counting every single crumb. I think maybe I eat too little. I posted today for help with eating more calories....The past two days have been so incredibly hard on me cause of not losing. But Im not giving up, you dont either! Please keep us posted............

lonegirl
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I know it is hard to believe but if you eat too little you will sabatoge yourself. When I lost 100lbs the first time I too ate only about 1500-1800 cals a day....BUT I had one free day where I ate whatever I wanted all day. This works both physically and pyschologically. Your body tries to go into starvation mode...but the free day tricks it. When I say I ate whatever I truly did...McDonalds, Pizza, Chiese buffet...no guilt and no worries.
Also make sure your gym routine isn't getting stagnant. Change it up and make sure you adjust it as you improve.
Take your measurements too...You may be adding muscle and taking off fat at the same time.

kaplods
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
It's taken me four years to lose 63 lbs. I lost 20 lbs without trying when I had to go onto disability (I guess not sitting near a vending machine all day, helped). It took me nearly three years to get any more weight off (about a year ago, a birth control change and finding that low carb eating was helpful, helped me get off another 43 lbs).

One year, to lose 43 lbs. Four years to lose 63, sounds pitiful, really. At least by the standards we usually use to measure such things. And yet, it's been revolutionary, really. I've never, since age 4, gone four years without a significant weight gain.

Losing weight isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be frustrating. It's hard to remember, but frustration is our choice. We can chose to not get anxious, upset, angry, or depressed. It doesn't always feel like a choice, but that's because learning to avoid those feelings takes practice and a lot of self talk. You've got to be your own best friend, and talk yourself out of the irrational beliefs that lead to the frustration, anger, depression.......

The first step is realizing that your progress isn't unusual. There are folks of all starting weights and diet history that just can't lose large or reliable numbers. It takes as long as it takes, and there are health, strength and stamina benefits to eating well and exercising independent of weight loss.

My doctor reminded me that even 1 lb a month, even for someone my size is more than most people of any weight accomplish (because most people give up after only a few weeks and regain their losses and sometimes more).

That really struck me, because it means that even 1 lb a month, puts me at the head of the race, not trailing behind in last place as I sometimes feel (not because it's fact, but because it's how we're taught to feel about slow loss, and if I allow myself to perceive what I know to be false as true - that's my mistake). I really don't get discouraged like I did in the past. Sure the random crappy thought enters my mind, but I recognize it and talk myself out of it quickly. I remember that I AM in the lead, here - I am making progress, and excellent progress not just "eh, you're not a total loser" progress.

Try to remember that you are doing well - really well - in comparison to all those that get started on this journey. You're not trailing in everyone else's dust, you're in the lead, just by hanging on.

lindalou0510
03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Lindalou: Im in your boat as well and it is frustrating me so bad I cry. Dont think you're alone....Im gonna keep an extra super de-dooper eye on my calories, counting every single crumb. I think maybe I eat too little. I posted today for help with eating more calories....The past two days have been so incredibly hard on me cause of not losing. But Im not giving up, you dont either! Please keep us posted............

If you don't give up, I won't either!!!! :carrot:

Redflame
03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Linda, first of SUPER HUGANTIC KUDOS for the amount of activity! Holy crappage girl! we are the same size and that workout routine would kill me off, in the first 13 minutes!

I would have to agree on that calories, I only lose when I am getting at least 1600 calories, and I am not working out like you....your body needs fuel! I would suggest upping to 2000-2200, and maybe stirring up the calories each day (calorie Cycling) I would also suggest tracking your calories in two different places, to make sure they are accurate.........the site you are using had a couple large discrepancies when I used it......Fit day and Sparkpeople are two free ones. It's always good to do a little quality check now and then on the things that matter! And one other thing, with your complex carbs..like the oatmeal in the morning, it should be paired with a protien/fat......like peanut butter. WOW that has been the fat burner for me (when I remember to do it) old fashioned oats, 1 tbl no sugar added PB, and a banana......sticks with you, gives you a balanced nutrition to start off the day...I call it "Hot Elvis" since we call PB and banana sammiches Elvis Sammich.....

I stayed the same weight for 3 weeks, and just finally started taking 2 pounds off last week. It is heart breaking when you start to get your groove going and then get derailed, but we can all do this.......you will hang in there if Mug does, and I will hang in there if you do...........sounds like we can beat this

yup005
03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
im also frustrated when i dont see any weight change, but my body and my health has dramatically improved. I feel great and these positive benefits without the weght loss is awesome. Good luck to you and take in the positives!!!:D

GirlyGirlSebas
03-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, I guess I have a slightly different view point here. With a daily calorie intake of 1800 and exercising each day, I don't think it's unrealistic at all to have expected at least a pound or two of loss in over a month. I know how frustrating that can be as I've been in your shoes before. I hear it all of the time..."it's calories consumed vs calories expended." Well, I can say with 100% knowledge that it's not always that simple for many of us. It may very well be a case of too few calories for you. However, you just might have a metabolic problem. Have you had your hormone...female, thyroid, etc...checked? Metabolic issues such as pre-diabetes, estrogen dominance, etc, can make it extremely difficult to lose weight. Additionally, these metabolic issues can cause additional health issues above and beyond the problems of excess weight or the inability to lose weight.

In 2006, I was diagnosed with both insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue. I'm also in early menopause as I had a total hysterectomy. With dietary changes, I reversed my insulin resistance, I've recovered from my adrenal fatigue with vitamin and mineral supplements. Unfortunately, I'll always have to battle my menopause as that will never go away.:dizzy: The good news is that there is always hope. There are dietary changes, hormone supplements, vitamin/mineral supplements and exercise changes that can help anyone lose weight.

I hope you find your answers soon and the weight starts dropping off for you. In the meantime, I hope it is encouraging for you to know that you are creating a healthier body and lifestyle despite the slow movement on the scales.

Jen415
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Try to remember that you are doing well - really well - in comparison to all those that get started on this journey. You're not trailing in everyone else's dust, you're in the lead, just by hanging on.

Brilliant!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

lindalou0510
03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Linda, first of SUPER HUGANTIC KUDOS for the amount of activity! Holy crappage girl! we are the same size and that workout routine would kill me off, in the first 13 minutes!

And one other thing, with your complex carbs..like the oatmeal in the morning, it should be paired with a protien/fat......like peanut butter. WOW that has been the fat burner for me (when I remember to do it) old fashioned oats, 1 tbl no sugar added PB, and a banana......sticks with you, gives you a balanced nutrition to start off the day...I call it "Hot Elvis" since we call PB and banana sammiches Elvis Sammich.....

It is heart breaking when you start to get your groove going and then get derailed, but we can all do this.......you will hang in there if Mug does, and I will hang in there if you do...........sounds like we can beat this

Aww thanks for the kudos! It's amazing what the body will do if the mind wills it too!!!

There are some mornings I do NOT want to go, but once I get to the gym, I always feel like I accomplished something for myself! It's a great ego boost!

As far as peanut butter, nuts etc, I don't like any of that! I know, I'm weird, but I never eat Peanut butter. BLECH!

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement! :carrot:

WarMaiden
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Are you sleeping enough, both in terms of quantity and -quality- of hours of sleep per night? I find that when I do not sleep enough, my weight loss seriously stalls out. It happened to me in October and it's happening to me again right now. The body needs rest, for repair and recovery. You are stressing your body greatly with dietary changes and exercise, so you also need to be giving it rest.

lindalou0510
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Are you sleeping enough, both in terms of quantity and -quality- of hours of sleep per night? I find that when I do not sleep enough, my weight loss seriously stalls out. It happened to me in October and it's happening to me again right now. The body needs rest, for repair and recovery. You are stressing your body greatly with dietary changes and exercise, so you also need to be giving it rest.

I do get a lot of sleep! Even though I've changed my routine in the past month!

I do get up between 530a and 6a to get to the gym in the morning. However, I am dead tired by 930p! I can't stay awake for the news anymore! So I am getting at least 7 hours a night! And I sleep better now than I ever have before!

rockinrobin
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Well, I guess I have a slightly different view point here. With a daily calorie intake of 1800 and exercising each day, I don't think it's unrealistic at all to have expected at least a pound or two of loss in over a month. I know how frustrating that can be as I've been in your shoes before. I hear it all of the time..."it's calories consumed vs calories expended." Well, I can say with 100% knowledge that it's not always that simple for many of us. It may very well be a case of too few calories for you. However, you just might have a metabolic problem. Have you had your hormone...female, thyroid, etc...checked? Metabolic issues such as pre-diabetes, estrogen dominance, etc, can make it extremely difficult to lose weight. Additionally, these metabolic issues can cause additional health issues above and beyond the problems of excess weight or the inability to lose weight.

I'm with GirlyGirlSebas. Something just doesn't seem quite right here. 1800 calories? Starvation mode? I would tend to think not. I think you may benefit a trip to the doctor to rule out any underlying medical issues. It certainly can't harm.

In the meantime, you keep on tweaking and discovering what works for you. You can and will figure this out. :)

lindalou0510
03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I did a trip to the doctor in December, when I stepped on the scale, and it tipped over the 300 mark. We did bloodwork, and all is normal. I am going back in 6 months to double check it. I thought it might be thyroid too, but he tells me I'm in the 'normal' range!

It's just the fat has found a home and doesn't want to be evicted! It will happen!

mysticshaz
03-04-2009, 04:04 PM
hi i am new here and just read this post and u mention getting the excercise out of the way lol i know the feeing been there and i cant stick to the gym but recenty got a wii fit and really enjoying it. maybe if you try finding excercise you enjoy and relax a little i am sure the weight will come off

much love

shaz

Redflame
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Keep in mind it takes ALOT of calories just to hold a 300 pound body upright..seriously folks! That is a lesson that has been so very hard for me to learn, after MANY doctors over the course of 15 years I am finally starting to believe that, but when I go back to my old ways and let myself go down to 1500 cals or so the loss stops, and stalls until I get my calories up.

Now this is not the case for everyone, each person has a different body make up, different metabolism, and different damage they have done to their metabolism..........but it seriously takes SOME people over 1800 calories just to "BE" at 280-320 pounds, that is scientific fact.

Look up a BMR calculator, for a 300 pound, 42 yr old woman, at 5'4" it takes 2063 calories just to maintain your body as is, while you lie in bed all day...........really!

Then if you are working out 6-7 times a week, as Linda is, The Harris Benedict Equation says to multiply your BMR by 1.725....that is 3558 calories a day (to maintain...not to loses) SO to lose you need to knock of 3500 calories for a pound, right? Two pounds a week would be trimming off 1000 calories a day, or 2558 calories........

For me I am "lightly active", no where near Linda (But her comment about what you will your mind to do really hit home!) SO I multiply my 2063 by 1.375 according to Harris Benedict, that gives me 2836 to "BE", trim off 1000 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week that puts me at 1800.......

It does sound crazy for many people, but it is VERY TRUE for many of us.

Redflame
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Linda

I too am "normal" as are hundreds of thousands of people who test out in the right ranges, but still have many of the symptoms. For example my hair is so thin that I finally went to wearing wigs about 4 years ago (man that is hard to be so volnerable about that...... even online) I found a more "homeopahic" doctor that explained to me that the tests are only one way to determine thyroid problems. At least I knew I was not losing my mind!

lindalou0510
03-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Redflame
Thanks so much for your encouraging words! You are a very sweet person, and being so vulnerable about your hair loss had to be hard to say out loud, even on a forum! Kudos for bravery !