100 lb. Club - Helpful habits

View Full Version : Helpful habits

time2lose
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Last night I went over my food diary trying to analyze the days I go over 1500 calories vs the days I go under. I saw a trend!

Often I take a bag of carrots (100 calories) with me to work. They sit on my desk and I snack on them at will. I eat about 1300 calories a day when I take the carrots and I eat about 1600 calories a day when I donít. I looked over 3 months of food entries and this really held up. I will take the carrots to work with me more often now!

What have you found that helps you keep your calorie count low?

wendyland
03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I eat less when I start the day off with steel cut oats with some nuts thrown in. If I start the day with something with sugar in it or flour, I'm toast for the day.

Schmoodle
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't count calories, but I do better staying on-plan on days when I have a substantial breakfast with protein. And when I get my 4.5 cups of veggies in. Eating a little something every couple of hours helps to keep me from getting ravenous, which is bad news.

Scarlet
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Although I eat low carb, I eyeball my calories as well...what really helps for me is not eating at night....that makes such a difference for me...

anastasia
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
i eat more when i'm stuck at home doing nothing having either worked a night shift or on a day off.

i also eat MORE when i DON'T do any exercise. go figure.

ChocLabLover
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I find if I have eggs (or eggs subsitute) for breakfast I am full pretty much until lunchtime which helps a lot.

Priscatip
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I do better if I not just plan to make something for dinner, but do a little prep for it in the morning or the night before. Otherwise, I get home and think about how I could just go get a sandwich from Jimmy John's or something.

lottie63
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
If I don't eat breakfast, I binge later. If I eat over 1500 cals I binge.

it's weird. and sucks. haha. :P

Jen415
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Ditto on the morning protein. In fact, more protein in general.

Thighs Be Gone
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I also agree on the high protein in the morning. In a real itme pinch I will eat 15-20almonds. It sounds like such a small amount of food but I swear it keeps me from being hungry for hours. I try though to do egg whites early in the day even if they have to go in the microwave.

I will also eat oatmeal in the morning with ground golden flaxseed in it, a couple of dried apricots and maybe 8-10 almonds.

Thighs Be Gone
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey, I also wanted to say that my mornings and early afternoons are seriously not a problem.

My problem is 3:00 to supper or even after supper. I try to go to bed by 10. Does anyone have any tips for this time period.

saef
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
That's the worst time for me as well. I have to use distraction tactics, Thighs. This is when I do dishes, call friends, make appointments, go off into another room with a book. If I'm at the office, I go to the on-site gym immediately after logging off my laptop. (I have a rule, you see: I am not allowed to go home without going to the gym.)

Thighs Be Gone
03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
You know I have been working out early mornings on the most part. I have been thinking to schedule my workouts in the evening though to see if it will deter my appetite.

GirlyGirlSebas
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree with Wendy. I've noticed that I do so much better when I have my steelcut oats in the morning. I've also noticed that I do so much better when there is no junk/sugar/processed snacks in my house. I catch myself doing the mindless pantry or fridge search when I'm feeling a bit stressed. If the junk isn't there, I will usually just close the door and wander back to my desk. :D

saef
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
On weekends and on my work-from-home days (that's two days a week), I do work out in the morning, as you do. Actually, I prefer it, because then I get it done & out of the way & the rest of my day is clear. And if my day turns out to be crummy, well, at least I did that one good thing for myself, first thing in the morning, before it all went to h*ll.

For me, I don't think morning or evening workouts affect my appetite, either way. But the evening ones do take place during a time when I'm in need of distraction.

I don't know why, but that stretch from lunch to dinner is a hard one, even with a snack or two thrown in.

shrinkingviolet
03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I, too, do best when I have an egg in the morning w/ my rice latte'. And if I don't take my walk first thing in the morning the chances of me doing it at all decline with each passing hour.

Thighs Be Gone
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Saef, thanks for the help. :)

I binged yesterday but have done well today. I am still thinking about yesterday trying to decide why I did what I did...it is very unusual for me...today I have eaten:

10 almonds: 70 calories
Carrots" 70
1 chick breast 170
1 yogurt 100
coffee 25

Honestly, with my binge yesterday I haven't been hungry today. I am hoping I can stay low tonight with some egg whites and veggies to help make up for yesterday.

SnowboundChick
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Great tip. I've been nibbling on carrots the last 3 days and its def helping. THank you.

Pandora123a
03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Greek yogurt in the morning, usually also some nuts and fruit. The yogurt seems to be the key though, it evens out my cravings and makes healthy eating the rest of the day easier.

Also, having lots of fruit and nuts around and letting myself have a snack when I am feeling hungry.

Not missing lunch, making sure I have something, even if it is light.

Finally, slowing down eating so that I don't finish a ton of food before my body even registers that I have eaten.

cfmama
03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I am much less hungry when I have LOTS of protein for lunch. I am also much less hungry when I get my water intake in and stay away from all refined sugars.

rockinrobin
03-07-2009, 05:09 AM
I eat frequently. Every 2 hours or so, kinda keeping to a food "schedule". It keeps me from every getting hungry, which would spell disaster for me. And it's always full of fiber and/or protein. VERY satisfying and filling, not to mention nutritious. Also if I feel myself "wanting something" though not hungry, I tell myself no, that in a little while there's something yummy coming!

And without a doubt the best habit/strategy I have is to PLAN AHEAD. Without doing so, which I can't imagine doing anymore at this point, would just be too risky. It's all too easy to "grab" something. Eating this often and this well does NOT happen by chance. MUST be planned out ahead of time.

cfmama
03-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes.. planning. I plan all my meals the night before and write them in my journal. When it's time to eat, I look and see what I have coming and prepare that and NOTHING ELSE. When I'm hungry, I know there is food coming shortly. Honestly though I eat very often so I don't get hunger pains any more too!

Gretchenpdx
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't do as well on days when I don't have snacks because my meals tend to be bigger.