Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 08:31 AM   #1  
A princess in the making!

Talking The Firm! Videos-Questions

I am thinking of buying the set of videos with this step thing I saw on TV. Something about a butt burner??? I was wondering does anyone have any Firm tapes and do you like them. Or if you have this new set out there, does it work. I need to start excerising and these tapes look like fun!
Old 05-28-2002, 09:22 AM   #2  

Default The firm videos

I am interested in these videos as well, but I have bad knees... They are not really bad knees, but they are bad.. Lunges are very painful for me to do...
Old 05-30-2002, 08:29 PM   #3  

Hello

I saw the info commerical to. I'm debating whether to buy them too. I have the Tae-bo series & the Leslie Sansone walking tapes.. I don't know if I really need another set...

IF you do purchase them, post back & let me know how they are..
Old 05-31-2002, 07:34 AM   #4  

Default Step

Hi Swan,

Just read you have bad knees. Please don't start to do ANY kind of step classes right now!!!:
Without the right technique and strength you might ruin them!

I am a very dedicated stepper but also a semi-professional instructor. If you really want to start the Step, with your current knee problems:
1. Go to an orthopedic. He can say for sure whether you could do step or not
2. If he says you can, go to a gym rather than do it at home (I realize that if you're very overweight, you might feel uncomfortable in a gym, but have the strength to say: who cares I'm doing this for me!!!! It really helps). They can teach you the right technique (it's not that easy!) to spare your knees.
3. Try to strengthen your leg muscles with special exercises or fitness at the gym. They will help you make your legs stronger and keep your knees in place.
4. Do not put any extra height on your step. It is difficult enough as it is getting thehang of it

I used to have problems with my knees and back because of loose joints and my weight, but due to see above I can do step and enything else I want now.
Don't play with your health!

Be well and keep to your goals,

Good Luck, Greekgirl from Athens
Old 05-31-2002, 03:39 PM   #5  

Angry idea

I have a bunch of The Firm videos and I love them. Some of them are pretty tough workouts, though, so you might want to rent a couple from Blockbusters before you spend the $$ to buy them.

Just a thought for you.
Amy
Old 06-01-2002, 09:00 AM   #6  

Thumbs down The Firm!!

Hello Pyria,

I too am also very interested in "The Firm". I have found some helpful information on the "Dottie's Weight Loss Zone" Message Board. Just go to www.dwlz.com, then go to the site map, then select the message boards. Scroll to the "Exercise" thread. There is some helpful info from other "Firm" users on page three of this thread as well as other pages.

I have decided to buy the 4 pack which includes "Standing legs" and "5 day abs". It goes for about $20 for all 4. The thread I mentioned gives some alternative ideas for a 14" box, rather than buying the (pricey) one on the infomercial.

Happy firming!!
Old 06-05-2002, 01:20 PM   #7  

Mom of Boys, I went to the site that you mentioned (awesome place and will go back when time permits) but I could not find the info for the step box that you referred to. Could you please give me more detailed directions or the info itself. I have already purchased some of the Firm tapes and find most of them difficult but I'm working on it. I looked at some step stools (rubbermaid type) and even a toolbox but none are 14 inches tall.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2002, 11:45 PM   #8  

I have just about every Firm video out there, excluding these last ones. The step that they are talking about is NOT a club step, like when you do aerobics. The FIRM calls it a "tall box", or as Cathe Friedrich would call it, a "leg press" box. The idea is that, with hand weights or a barbell, you would place one foot firmly on the box, digging your heal into the step, and use that leg to pull you up, or step up, on the box. Both knees are to be as close to 90 degrees as possible prior to stepping up. It is EXREMELY effective on the butt, hamstrings, and quads. However, and this is MY disclaimer, you do NOT need to have the one that the Firm makes. My husband made mine for me. I know many people who got stirdy plastic boxes from Target and used that. You could even use a tool box if you put a plastic mat under it. As far as the tapes. Well, that depends. Several of their tapes are VERY good. The ENTIRE CLASSIC series is fabulous, as well as Firm Cardio and Firm Strength and the Cross Trainers. I don't care for any of their aerobic/fat burning tapes as I find the extremely boring and filled with plyo jacks, which kills my knees. For a complete rundown of their tapes you can visit them at www.firmdirect.com

My personal favorite is Cathe Friedrich. While she hit the market many years ago as an expert stepper, she also has kickboxing, hi/lo, pure strength and slow and heavy weight lifting tapes. Her cuing is flawless and she is extremely effective. You can check out her tapes at www.cathe.com One of my favorite things about her is that you can post a workout question to her, whether it is in regards to her tapes or any general fitness question, and she will respond back. It is almost like having her their with you.

I hope this answered and assisted in your decision making. Best wishes in your fitness endeavors.
Cynthia
Old 06-24-2002, 09:41 PM   #9  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hi

I have firm tapes, not the new ones though. My favorite Firm tape is the Tough Tape. It has the standing legs exercises and I use the end of my step with it built to its highest level. A lot shorter than their stool (which I have), I find it effective even with a shorter step and it's not so hard on my knees. I use the stool for sitting exercises and for the strength training exercises.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:16 PM   #10  

I have the firm video program. I ordered off Qvc its cheaper and hassel free, expecially if you want to do a return. The program is great.
Closed Thread