South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Default Lime Dill Marinade?

I had dinner at a friend's house last week, and she was very sweet to make a beachy meal for me and my family.

She made chicken breasts that were made in a lime-dill marinade from Wegman's. I avoid mariades like that b/w expense and added preservatives (and sugar), etc. But I really enjoyed it!!

Does anyone have a similar homemade marinade or sauce they'd recommend?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #2  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

The trouble I've found with most commercial marinades is the high amount of sugars and worse...sodium (plus all the preservatives like you said).

Here's a recipe I had in my recipe box. It is for 1 pound of chicken or fish.
Lime Dill Marinade

1/3 cup water
1/3 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons honey*
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped (more or less to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a zip-baggie and add chicken or fish. Marinate for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
*I'm not sure if this amount of honey is a problem in a marinade. Although there is a SF artificial honey available, I don't know how well you can cook with it. Perhaps some Splenda could be used for the sweetness?
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I bet agave would be perfect as a replacement in this. Looks like a yummy recipe!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you! That looks perfect!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Twynn,

I would suggest that you try a rub as opposed to a marinade with chicken. Same goes for beef and pork and all those "cuts" of meat. In the Caribbean, we marinade only those proteins that will "fall apart" if we rub into them, such as fish.

I have four different rubs that I've made myself: Spanish, cajun, Indian, and Thai. Squeeze the lemon or lime onto the protein FIRST and then literally rub the spices into the meat. The water from the lemons/lime will act as an adherent to your rub and will crisp up the protein beneath it.

Us Spanish folks never use sugars in our marinades. Instead we use mangos, pineapple, or a bajillion other fruits that abound.

If you were to take a well-seasoned tilapia filet, for example, toss it onto a sheet of aluminum foil with chunks of mango or pineapple in it, throw the whole thing on the grill and let it grill for five minutes or so, you'd be blown away by the flavors.

Not Phase I friendly, I know, but once fruit is a go, you'll find very little use for artificial sweetners.

Hope this has helped.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Interesting info, Diva! Thanks for sharing!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote