Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #1  
Mel

Default March, march, march!

I'm lousy at calling cadence....

I'm in Orlando for a banking and trust conference (yawn) but there are palm trees and NO snow! Also no gym, but I've brought my stretchy bands and running shoes. We'll see how well I do

How is everyone this weekend? The BFLers are going strong

Off to find food...I've eaten twice today and am ready to eat the pillows in my hotel room!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

LOL. I wondered what was up, since you're usually posting at the crack of OMG in the morning. Enjoy the sunshine for me, will ya?

My first class at Crossfit is tomorrow. I'm excited about the learning, but a little nervous. I'm trying to be brave and think beastly thoughts, but it's not working!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/152/122

I'm thinking that the warm weather is inspiring light eating ???!!!! Yea- spring!
sunspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #4  
Mel

Cheryl- I am soooo jealous of you doing cross fit IN PERSON. I have to be satisfied by you-tube.

OK, I check out the hotel fitness room 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 1 elliptical and dumbbells up to 20 pounds and one set of 50 pounders. This is going to be a challenging week.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Hmm, I'm wondering if you are in Orlando proper and NOT the park, if you could buy a one week or multi-day pass at a gym there - like google gold's etc to see if there's one near you. You can probably even expense it! A non-worked-out Mel come Friday is not a site I would want to see! They'll do it if they know what's good for 'em!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Cripes! I don't even know what day it is, lol. My first class is Tuesday, not tomorrow (great, another day to stress about it...ack!). I've been doing that all day, knowing it's Sunday, but confusing it with Monday. I'm just ahead of my time. hahah...ha...er..nevermind.

Mel, you can get your curls and kickbacks in...how exciting! Well, I'd say you could do some DB clean & jerks or thrusters with that weight, but you can't do that kind of stuff right now cuz you're broken. There's always BW squats or maybe you could balance on your bed and do single leg squats, planks between the bed and a hotel chair, chair dips, hop on one leg up four flights of stairs.. what else would Mel do at a hotel with no gym? Oh yeah, fling yourself over the safety railing on the stairs and use it for pull-ups...well, I'm sure I can come up with more when the caffeine overload and lack of sleep really kick in later tonight...

Hi Nelie! Glad you're enjoying some spring weather!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Cheryl- I am soooo jealous of you doing cross fit IN PERSON. I have to be satisfied by you-tube.

OK, I check out the hotel fitness room 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 1 elliptical and dumbbells up to 20 pounds and one set of 50 pounders. This is going to be a challenging week.
You're all set!

Curling a 3lb dumbell while walking on the treadmill is great for toning!
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspell View Post
I'm thinking that the warm weather is inspiring light eating ???!!!! Yea- spring!

Of course some of us are shoveling out a foot of snow right now! Where's Spring!

Oh well! Shoveling is good GPP.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #9  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depalma View Post

Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
You're all set!

Cheryl: Oh, I would be so nervous too. Okay, lets just take a deep breath together. ***inhale*** hold****exhale***

You'll be fine. I've checked out the site from one of the "local" Crossfit affiliates here. (It's like more than 40 minutes away and why I don't join them). The class similar to what you describe has a good mix of body types in all different stages of fitness. You really will be fine. They WANT you to succeed, not to break you. Really. Oh what an experience. I'm so excited for you. And run back home tomorrow to tell us all about it.

Mel: A hotel all week?! Seriously, look into a pass at a proper gym. Between the stress of being away from home, a conference, and no real workout to release all that. That is a wrath I would not want to impart upon my own family. I would be a mess. Go one and find a better place.

I'm in need of a good release today too. Light workout on Friday, Yoga on Saturday and a rest day on Sunday. I'm overdue. I spent seven hours putting together a cover letter and resume on Saturday and ten hours straight preparing for my exam. I'm wound so tight I could barely stand to listen to my children "run on" about their latest adventures in a video game. (I hate video games) How many times is it socially acceptable to ask your children to finish their breakfast before you dump it on their head? Just kidding.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Quote:
You're all set!

I realize that most of you lift heavy and CAN lift heavy, but for those of us who cannot and do use 3lb hand wights to build muscle, it's not very nice of you to make fun.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm actually thinking of taking a kettlebell class at a Crossfit gym. Its a 5 hour class next month and its for women only although I'll probably email them and ask them about it. I really just want to have my form checked and maybe learn some tips.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #13  
No description available.

I'm going to have to google Crossfit. Have a blast, Cheryl!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #14  

Cheryl - Keep us posted!!!
Mel - maybe you can sling some heavvyweight bankers??

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #15  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Thanks, everybody! I think it will be a fun class. I'm actually looking forward to (hopefully) getting some help with tweaking my diet, so I'm glad they're offering some nutritional discussion/coaching in this class (just hope it's good stuff). I need more energy for my workouts, but am not sure exactly where to go with it, so I can keep burning fat, while also boosting my energy. I'm guessing I need to up the happy fats and maybe another portion of protein to get my calories up, but will be glad for a fresh perspective on that. I'm almost psyched up to ditch my last bad food habit: the caffeinated tea with sugar and milk. I've lived on the stuff all my life, it being a family tradition if we ever had one, but I can definitely see it holding me back from getting into a lower bf%. I know I can do it, just got to get mad enough to ditch the crack (aka sugar and caffeine).

DDC, what makes you think that was directed at you? If you have an injury or other temporary or chronic condition that keeps you from lifting to your full potential, or you're a total beginner, that's completely different from what they're giggling about. If you would like to lift heavier, but cannot at this time due to some condition or just being a newb, then rest easy, because that's not at all what they're joking about.

Nelie, if you do the kettlebell class, be sure to share all the good stuff with us!

Midwife, don't do it! You'll get it on you, and then you'll be hooked!