Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/196/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Do you need more calories when exercising?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I used one of those online estimators and ended up with 1339 calories per day. I've been estimating about 1300 - 1400 daily, but then today, someone told me that I need to eat more because of my life style and exercise.

For my "lifestyle", I work at a doggie daycare and I stand and walk most of the day. The job also includes heavy lifting (i.e. dogs up to 60 pounds) and sometimes a quick sprint and some muscle use if we're breaking up a scuffle. :P

On top of that, I do little things like getting off of the bus 2 -3 stops before where I'm supposed to get off and walking the rest of the way, and going up the stairs as much as I can (I live on the 25 floor and usually get up to about 15 before I have to catch the elevator).

for actual exercise, I do 30 minutes of brisk walking daily, plus 2 10 minute sessions of high intensity aerobics, and 10 to 15 minutes of stretching and light strength training a day.

Do I need more calories than what I'm eating? Sorry this was so long. And Thanks in advance.
cammieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

cammie, are you currently losing with the program you are doing? if so, I wouldn't change a thing! Good luck!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

You could check out the website thedailyplate.com
you enter your food intake and exercise for the day and it tells you how many calories you should be eating to lose weight. It also keeps track of everything for you..
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #4  
Workin' It

I agree with ThighsBeGone - at this point if you are losing weight and feel good I wouldn't worry about it just yet. If you find that you stall you may need to add more calories in, or if you feel lightheaded or sick after exercise, that kind of thing.

Butterfly is right, too - most of those calculators let you put in your lifestyle type and you may find you could eat more and still lose.

Good luck.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/180

the daily plate gives you your net calories, and im not sure whether your goal should be your net or your intake. i tend to think the daily plate is generous so i always aim for intake. but as others have said i think the trick to calorie counting is tracking and trial end error. your body's needs will change too as you lose.
pferde01 is offline   Reply With Quote