Weight Loss Surgery - PLEASE HELP US--DESPERATE My sister may die...

MugCanDoIt
02-25-2009, 06:55 PM
My family is having a delima and we need help. I dont know what else to do. Can you guys suggest something? Heres the deal:

My sister had gastric bypass surgery in July 2007. She never has been healthy since. She had something happen a month or two after the surgery where they had to go back in and use a balloon to stretch an opening somewhere to allow food into the bowl (I think that is what happened). Well that worked for about 2 weeks, then ever since it has been hard for her to eat.

She doesnt want to eat because she throws up and has pain. She also cant drink water because she says it lays too heavy on her stomache and makes her nauseous. So heres where it gets bad:

She is currently in the hospital right now with SEVERE MALNUTRITION, and CANT WALK. Her hair is falling out, she cant pee, or have a BM. She cant even walk, unless she uses a walker and then she says it is so very very painful. I have been told if she doesnt get help she will DIE.

Her surgeon has refused to see her anymore due to her missing so many appointments. The place where she had the surgery is in TN, about two to three hours away. She couldnt make it to her appts after the surgery because of how sick she was, and the fact that we couldnt get her there due to where we live. So they have completely written her off, and now she is dying.

The thing is, since this surgion has dropped her, nobody will take her to fix what is wrong with her insides post surgery. The hospital she is in now does not perform bariatric surgery. They have contacted the surgeon who did the initial operation and he said NO again. So they said they were trying to contact a surgion in another city, but that was early this week and we havent heard anything, so that tell us they said NO.

What the heck do we do? NOBODY WILL DO SURGER ON HER TO FIX HER PROBLEM!!!! We cant sit back and just let her deteriorate and get sicker and sicker and just die. I even called neighboring cities to see if they would see her, just for an appt, and was told she would have to see the surgion who performed the surgery. Well he is an **shole and wont see her anymore.

What the heck do we do? Please somebody help us. What do we do?

midwife
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
There should be a patient advocate and a chief of surgery or medicine at your hospital. Demand to see them. There should be a plan of care that makes sense to you guys. Is there a teaching hospital nearby?

harrismm
02-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Contact hospital administration immediately.Why are they keeping her inpatient if they are not willing to treat her?This makes no sense.If something can be done to improve her situation, I am not sure that the surgeon can refuse to perform the surgery.Unless she is a surgical risk for some reason?WOW.This seems really strange to me.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
1) you have to raise a stink, a loud one ... because it's people who raise a stink that get heard and get action. It's too bad this has gone on so long; but you are her only advocate right now. Just do it!

2) ask to talk to the 'ATTENDING' physician: that is the doctor who is taking care of her at the hospital she is in now; and there is one, there is always one.

3) Ask her attending nurse and/or physician if she can be put on IV to help her get the nutrients she needs to live. Do they have her on IV now? Push them and bug them for it now!

4) Is there a nurse that you might get to have compassion for her situation; ask to speak to the attending nurse on her floor, and plead with her to tell you what you might do to help your sister.

5) DEMAND is the key word here; you have to demand care; demand action; demand help; don't take 'no' for an answer. Go there and pester them daily, and on the phone -- call them every day until you get action. Eventually, they will do something because they don't want to be bugged all the time. Also, tell them you will go public, if they don't do something for her now ... see #6.

6) If you get no action, contact the media; the papers where her surgeon lives and where she is now. It's drastic, but you can't wait until she dies.

7) we will be praying for her and your family, as you try to help her ... and if we think of anything else, I'll come back to share.

mypunkrockromance
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree you need to contact the media and tell them about the treatment of your sister.

I work in the media and TRUST ME when I say, the hospital is a business and no business wants that bad press. I would go right to your local television stations, they like the ratings of these kinds of stories sad to say.

And if they threaten slander, just tell them if it's the truth and completely factual information then it's not slander!

CountingDown
02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Good advice given above! We will be keeping your sister and your family in our prayers.

kaplods
02-25-2009, 10:23 PM
I would agree that going to the media (television, radio, newspaper...) both where your sister lives and where she had the surgery, may get you results, either in shaming the uncooperative medical professionals into helping, or in bringing the case to the attention of professionals willing to help.

Good Luck, and God Bless.

KforKitty
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Contact hospital administration immediately.Why are they keeping her inpatient if they are not willing to treat her?This makes no sense.If something can be done to improve her situation, I am not sure that the surgeon can refuse to perform the surgery.Unless she is a surgical risk for some reason?WOW.This seems really strange to me.

I agree that the surgeon cannot refuse to perform lifesaving surgery unless there's a valid clinical reason for not doing so. From your posts it seems as though your sister has not followed the proper aftercare plan so whilst he may be reluctant he surely cannot see her die. Speak to the Patient Services/Advocate at the original hospital and threaten media involvement unless action is taken.

Kitty

ronni62
02-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I think you've received good advice from everyone above, but I would also add that you might not want the original surgeon to do any further work on your sister. If he did something wrong in the first place, he will be trying to cover his butt if he goes in again and it may not benefit your sister. Try to find a surgeon not affiliated with the original and completely explain to him/her that you really can't get the original surgeon to do anything and can't trust him anyway. We found out the hard way that some doctors will do anything to keep people from knowing how they messed up.

Your sister and your family are in my prayers.:hug:

MugCanDoIt
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Im gonna print this out and try everyones suggestions. I will keep you posted if any new info comes up with her. Thanks everyone.......I didnt know where else to turn.

MugCanDoIt
02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
UPDATE!!

i just got word this morning that a surgeon at the University of Louisville Hospital is going to perform her surgery to hopefully fix her problem.

We are exstatic!! :carrot::carrot:

Thanks everybody for your help and concern :hug:

jiffypop
02-26-2009, 12:14 PM
thank goodness!!!! Louisville will take good care of her -

it's REALLY REALLY important that she take care of herself after this is fixed [and it WILL be fixed!!!!] - She's gotta figure out how to eat and drink, and get back on a healthy track.

many prayers for all of you, darlin!!!!

bargoo
02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Great news!

MugCanDoIt
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
thank goodness!!!! Louisville will take good care of her -

it's REALLY REALLY important that she take care of herself after this is fixed [and it WILL be fixed!!!!] - She's gotta figure out how to eat and drink, and get back on a healthy track.

many prayers for all of you, darlin!!!!

I know...she just has to reach down inside her and find the strength to make it. She has to want to get better, and right now I dont see that in her. Maybe if she starts to feel some better, the "want" will be there. I have decided I am going to push her to get out of bed every single day.

See she cant walk right now....a dr has told her the neuropothy in her feet causing her the severe pain could or could not go away. I hope she doesnt get it in her head that it WONT go away and just give up. Besides, some people who have had accidents have to learn to walk again, in certain circumstances, so why couldnt she? She has to be pushed to do it,, whether it hurts or not. She has lost muscle in her legs and feet due to malnutrition. She has lost 180 lbs since July 2008. Thats only 7months. I guess her body ate up her muscles instead of losing fat, plus the inactivity for so long did damage too.

I have to keep telling myself "One step at a time" but the fact that she cant walk is really really bugging me. What if it is permanent? What if she cant find the strength to make herself do physical therapy? The thought of my sister in a wheelchair just makes me want to run screaming. And all so she can lose weight. I just have to make myself stop worrying for now and focus on one step at a time. Its hard to do that, especially when she cant drive herself to appointments. I work full time, and have already told my boss I will be needing a personal day coming up, when they schedule her surgery two hours away. Which is ok. but there will be follow up appointments I am sure. My mom is disabled and cant drive her there, and basicly there is no body else. So..........................one step at a time and God will see us through this.

Thanks again everyone who responded. :smug:

kaplods
02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Have you talked to her doctors about whether it's appropriate for her to attempt to be active, and what activities are safe and which precautions she should take if she's going to be active before the repair surgery. I think you need to make sure, by talking to her doctors (including the new surgeon) before deciding you're going to push her to get out of bed every day. Unless you're trained in PT, you could make her situation worse, not better.
After the surgery, you'll have to ask the doctors the same questions, what can and should she be doing, and what precautions against injury should be taken.

I disagree that she needs to be pushed whether it hurts or not - a trained physical therapist or physican should make that that determination, based on her condition.

Neuropathy of the feet can be extremely dangerous. Because it isn't just pain, it's also lack of feeling. I herniated a disk several years ago, and the spinal damage caused neuropathy. On one hand, my leg felt like someone had poured gasoline inside and out, and lit my leg on fire. On the other hand, I had absolutely no feeling (to the touch) on my legs and feet below the knee. So, while it felt like it was on fire, I could prick myself with a pin and not feel the pain of the prick. The neurologist told me that some of the nerve damage would heal, but that anything that wasn't healed within two years, would likely be permanent. It did take two years to get most of the neuropathy to disappear (I have some permanent damage left, but luckily only on the top of the left foot - it's a permanent pins and needles feeling). If I stll had it on the bottom of my feet, I'd have to be much more careful about foot care and checking my feet for signs of wound or infection. I still check my feet almost daily (I sometimes forget), but at least I don't have to check several times a day to make sure there's no undetected damage that could then infect and cause serious health problems.

While the neuropathy was healing, especially the first year, I had to be extremely careful about foot care, and especially walking, because if a little bit of stone (barely larger than a grain of sand) got in my shoe, it could tear up the bottom of my foot without my knowing it. If the shoe or sock didn't fit just right, even the seam on a sock could cause blisters and wounds, that I didn't feel while they were being made, because of the weird way in which neuropathy causes pain and lack of feeling in the same area.

So, if you're going to push your sister to get out of bed and move each day, be sure you also have her check her feet, especially the the bottoms and anywhere her shoe/sock might rub. If she can't do it herself, then you might have to do it for her.

Swimming would probably be ideal (again, not before checking with her doctor), because the risk of injury is generally far less.

I know you want to help, but you've got to make sure you do it in a way that's mentally and physically in her best interest, and pushing her may or may not be helpful. Yes, many people do learn to work through pain to recover mobility - and many people also injure themselves in the process if they don't take the necessary precautions. Pushing her might be the right thing to do, but it also might be detrimental mentally or physically - talk to her medical team before deciding you think you know what she needs.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh ... this is wonderful, wonderful news! We will continue to pray for your sister and her new surgeon at Louisville University that all will go well, with a smooth recovery for her.

You are a lovely sister; yes, do keep encouraging her that she will be well again soon -- that will bode well to have a positive attitude. Patients with hopeful and positive attitudes heal and recover much faster.

Her doctors will tell you what activities your sister can engage in now and after her surgery. One-step-at-a-time is one of my favorite mottos; I deal with something similar ~ feet and legs that hurt when walking on occasion, but I do a bit every day and rest them up in between (keeping them raised up, and not danging, as my doctor suggested and this helps me a lot).

Keep your chin up ... we're praying and rooting for her all the way!!!

kaplods
02-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Another thing you might want to ask the doctors about, is whether compression socks or hose would be ok for her to wear. My husband has severe neuropathy in his legs and feet (we check his feet twice a day), and he found that compression socks (elastic) help relieve the pain in his legs considerably. There are reasons that some people shouldn't ear them (I don't know what they are), but there's usually a warning on the sock packages to consult a physician before using.

murphmitch
02-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I think your sister would need to be built up nutritionally before any attempt at surgery is made. Most physicians order TPN (total parenteral nutrition) if a patient is that sick and malnutritioned before major surgery. It's basically an IV in a very large vein inserted by a physician or a specially trained nurse that provides complete nutrition including fats and protein. It's pretty hard to heal after surgery in such a state of malnutrition. Has your sister been on this? I would think that most hospitals (except a really small one) would be doing this. Even to get her electrolytes (sodium, potassium) in balance before surgery is important for her wellbeing.

missangelaks
02-26-2009, 10:23 PM
wow!!! What an ordeal! I am so glad that SOMEONE stepped up and helped this poor girl!! I wish there were some way to give that origanal surgeon a verbal thrashing!

I hope all is getting back to healing. AND tell that strong girl and her heroic family I am pulling for them!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Angela

doitforme
02-27-2009, 12:23 PM
What a sad story... I myself had gastric bypass may of 07 but have been successful w/ no problems. My prayers fo out to you and your ds for strength and healing.. Guidance for the doctor performing the new surgery and that she soon is completely recovered and healthy again.

MindiV
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
My aunt had gastric bypass, and I guess she also didn't take care of herself correctly. She never felt well, even though she lost a LOT of weight. One day she laid down on the couch and her daughter found her totally unresponsive. She was in a coma for days. They finally discovered that her levels of everything her body needed...potassium, calcium, sodium, etc....were rock bottom - zero. Her body wasn't absorbing anything from food anymore. She's got to take all kinds of medication and enzyme stuff with her food to help it break down.

My sister is wanting the surgery now, and a good friend is getting another form of it...lap band or something like that (sorry if I spelled it wrong!). Hearing my aunt's story, it just worries me....

nanj
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Lord God, have mercy!!! I'm so sorry that your sister is going through all of this. She is in my prayers and that God will guide the surgeon's hands to fix your sister. Your sister and you and the family are certainly in my prayers.

For all you want-to-be-WLS patients, newbies and oldsters listen up - Protein, vitamins, supplements, water! Plan and simple. Keep regular check ups with your surgeon and PCP, especially the first year! Get your blood test regular and watch how they are trending. Be proactive about your health, you know your body best and know when something is not right. If something is wrong, the squeakiest wheel get the most attention; shout it out to someone, anyone! Your heart is a muscle, and muscle needs protein and vitamins and supplements, when you can't eat like you used too. You can get neurological problems, muscle atrophy, memory problems, heart problems, neuropathy, and tons of other things, like DEATH, if you don't follow your doctor's orders and that is why regular check-ups are so important. Doctor can catch things before it gets so far along before your life is in jeopardy! The human body's systems all work together and if you neglect one part by not doing protein, supplements, vitamins or water it effects the other system. Please don't take your WLS lightly. Get counseling and join a support group. It breaks my heart to hear something like this because WLS is a good thing, but there are responsiblities that go along with it. DON'T THINK YOU ARE THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE!!!

QuilterInVA
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
It's great that you are so concerned, but I see already that you are saying there isn't a way for your sister to get to medical appointments. You need to be concerned enough to get this addressed. My husband was in a wheelchair and it wasn't the end of the world. We still lived a good life. How does your sister support herself now? If she is on Medicaid, you need to talk to her case worker and see if they can schedule transport to medical appointments, etc. It sounds like she is going to need more surgery, rehab, and physical theraphy. Who is going to take care of her affairs while she is so sick? Ask for the hospital's discharge planner now so she can track your sister's progress and help you make appropriate arrangements for her. I hope everything goes well for your sister. Please keep us posted.

RN BSN 2009
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks murph

Yes she would be a good candidate for TPN

They should have her get a central line put in and start TPN w/lipids as soon as possible. This will get her nutrition back into shape, they can take care of her fluid & electrolyte problems, and hopefully get her to a stage of health that will provide optimal status for surgery. You're in our prayers.

activeadventurer
03-02-2009, 12:45 PM
This all sounds like really good advice. I am thinking about you and your family and hoping that things go well.

JulieJ08
03-02-2009, 01:50 PM
For informational purposes, a doctor does not have to see any patient. The laws may vary state to state, but generally they have to give notice (say 30 days), and then they are off the hook.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-06-2009, 10:00 PM
HEY MUG ~ Please let us know how your sister is doing: we are continuing prayers for her in the CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS THREAD. I was wondering if once she has had her corrective surgery and is able to come home, that it would be possible for her to move closer to you or another family member, so that she could have someone to keep a helpful eye on her? Just an idea ... :hug:

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Have you talked to her doctors about whether it's appropriate for her to attempt to be active, and what activities are safe and which precautions she should take if she's going to be active before the repair surgery. I think you need to make sure, by talking to her doctors (including the new surgeon) before deciding you're going to push her to get out of bed every day. Unless you're trained in PT, you could make her situation worse, not better.
After the surgery, you'll have to ask the doctors the same questions, what can and should she be doing, and what precautions against injury should be taken.

I disagree that she needs to be pushed whether it hurts or not - a trained physical therapist or physican should make that that determination, based on her condition.

Neuropathy of the feet can be extremely dangerous. Because it isn't just pain, it's also lack of feeling. I herniated a disk several years ago, and the spinal damage caused neuropathy. On one hand, my leg felt like someone had poured gasoline inside and out, and lit my leg on fire. On the other hand, I had absolutely no feeling (to the touch) on my legs and feet below the knee. So, while it felt like it was on fire, I could prick myself with a pin and not feel the pain of the prick. The neurologist told me that some of the nerve damage would heal, but that anything that wasn't healed within two years, would likely be permanent. It did take two years to get most of the neuropathy to disappear (I have some permanent damage left, but luckily only on the top of the left foot - it's a permanent pins and needles feeling). If I stll had it on the bottom of my feet, I'd have to be much more careful about foot care and checking my feet for signs of wound or infection. I still check my feet almost daily (I sometimes forget), but at least I don't have to check several times a day to make sure there's no undetected damage that could then infect and cause serious health problems.

While the neuropathy was healing, especially the first year, I had to be extremely careful about foot care, and especially walking, because if a little bit of stone (barely larger than a grain of sand) got in my shoe, it could tear up the bottom of my foot without my knowing it. If the shoe or sock didn't fit just right, even the seam on a sock could cause blisters and wounds, that I didn't feel while they were being made, because of the weird way in which neuropathy causes pain and lack of feeling in the same area.

So, if you're going to push your sister to get out of bed and move each day, be sure you also have her check her feet, especially the the bottoms and anywhere her shoe/sock might rub. If she can't do it herself, then you might have to do it for her.

Swimming would probably be ideal (again, not before checking with her doctor), because the risk of injury is generally far less.

I know you want to help, but you've got to make sure you do it in a way that's mentally and physically in her best interest, and pushing her may or may not be helpful. Yes, many people do learn to work through pain to recover mobility - and many people also injure themselves in the process if they don't take the necessary precautions. Pushing her might be the right thing to do, but it also might be detrimental mentally or physically - talk to her medical team before deciding you think you know what she needs.

Well what you said makes sence, cause she fell in the hospital the other day. She was walking with a physical therapist and she fell.

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I think your sister would need to be built up nutritionally before any attempt at surgery is made. Most physicians order TPN (total parenteral nutrition) if a patient is that sick and malnutritioned before major surgery. It's basically an IV in a very large vein inserted by a physician or a specially trained nurse that provides complete nutrition including fats and protein. It's pretty hard to heal after surgery in such a state of malnutrition. Has your sister been on this? I would think that most hospitals (except a really small one) would be doing this. Even to get her electrolytes (sodium, potassium) in balance before surgery is important for her wellbeing.

Anne: Yes you are right. She is on TPN and has improved so very much. To me she looks 90 % better! The color in her skin is back some, her eyes are brighter, she is talking now instead of just staring off in space. She is even cutting up and making jokes as well. When she first went in there , she was just lethargic. Now she has improved so much, I cant believe it.

They have her on a pain pump because of the pain in her legs and feet. I am scared she is gonna be more reliant on pain meds when she leaves the hospital now. But, the important thing is right now is that she is getting nutrition and has improved. I am very grateful for that. :)

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:42 PM
My aunt had gastric bypass, and I guess she also didn't take care of herself correctly. She never felt well, even though she lost a LOT of weight. One day she laid down on the couch and her daughter found her totally unresponsive. She was in a coma for days. They finally discovered that her levels of everything her body needed...potassium, calcium, sodium, etc....were rock bottom - zero. Her body wasn't absorbing anything from food anymore. She's got to take all kinds of medication and enzyme stuff with her food to help it break down.

My sister is wanting the surgery now, and a good friend is getting another form of it...lap band or something like that (sorry if I spelled it wrong!). Hearing my aunt's story, it just worries me....

Well my sister had that problem too. I believe she told me they had given her at least 8 bags of potassium once she was admitted.

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Lord God, have mercy!!! I'm so sorry that your sister is going through all of this. She is in my prayers and that God will guide the surgeon's hands to fix your sister. Your sister and you and the family are certainly in my prayers.

For all you want-to-be-WLS patients, newbies and oldsters listen up - Protein, vitamins, supplements, water! Plan and simple. Keep regular check ups with your surgeon and PCP, especially the first year! Get your blood test regular and watch how they are trending. Be proactive about your health, you know your body best and know when something is not right. If something is wrong, the squeakiest wheel get the most attention; shout it out to someone, anyone! Your heart is a muscle, and muscle needs protein and vitamins and supplements, when you can't eat like you used too. You can get neurological problems, muscle atrophy, memory problems, heart problems, neuropathy, and tons of other things, like DEATH, if you don't follow your doctor's orders and that is why regular check-ups are so important. Doctor can catch things before it gets so far along before your life is in jeopardy! The human body's systems all work together and if you neglect one part by not doing protein, supplements, vitamins or water it effects the other system. Please don't take your WLS lightly. Get counseling and join a support group. It breaks my heart to hear something like this because WLS is a good thing, but there are responsiblities that go along with it. DON'T THINK YOU ARE THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE!!!

I think you summed that up quite well! Everyone take this persons advice if considering surgery.

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
It's great that you are so concerned, but I see already that you are saying there isn't a way for your sister to get to medical appointments. You need to be concerned enough to get this addressed. My husband was in a wheelchair and it wasn't the end of the world. We still lived a good life. How does your sister support herself now? If she is on Medicaid, you need to talk to her case worker and see if they can schedule transport to medical appointments, etc. It sounds like she is going to need more surgery, rehab, and physical theraphy. Who is going to take care of her affairs while she is so sick? Ask for the hospital's discharge planner now so she can track your sister's progress and help you make appropriate arrangements for her. I hope everything goes well for your sister. Please keep us posted.

Well she gets disability and has Medicare. I actually was researching online and found out that unfortunately transportation is provided for Medicare patents only. And yes I believe this hospital stay is one of many other appointments and rehabilitation. I can help her some but I work full time. I will help her as much as I possibly can. There is a sign in her hospital room that says something like "Patient Family discharge meetings held every tuesday". So she has already asked me to come to it to see about her care after she leaves. So I will go. Its just such a relief to know she is in good hands as of right now after seeing her so close to dying.

MugCanDoIt
03-07-2009, 07:53 PM
HEY MUG ~ Please let us know how your sister is doing: we are continuing prayers for her in the CHRISTIAN ENCOURAGERS THREAD. I was wondering if once she has had her corrective surgery and is able to come home, that it would be possible for her to move closer to you or another family member, so that she could have someone to keep a helpful eye on her? Just an idea ... :hug:

Well she has gotten an apartment in the same building as my mother. She had been staying with my mom for several months prior to this hospital visit. My mom is 63 and has medical issues herself and does what she can for my sister, but I think it is obvious that Im gonna have to start helping out more, especially with transportation.

harrismm
03-07-2009, 09:30 PM
When she is ready to go home, insist on a homecare referral.Medicare will cover homecare at 100% if she is homebound.They will also provide home health aide for personal cares and physical and accupational therapy at home if ordered by MD>This will give her a nurse to come in to her home to assess her physical condition.It will reduce your transportation to outpatient appointments.Good luck.

harrismm
03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Sorry typo....meant to write occupational therapy.

jiffypop
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
MUG!!! thank you SOOO much for updating us. it sounds like there's A LOT more hope than a couple of weeks ago.

If she's up to it, we'll be more than happy to have her hang out with us!!!! honest!!!

please give her all our best wishes and prayers. and there are a few for you as well - sounds like you'll have your hands full for awhile!!

MugCanDoIt
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
When she is ready to go home, insist on a homecare referral.Medicare will cover homecare at 100% if she is homebound.They will also provide home health aide for personal cares and physical and accupational therapy at home if ordered by MD>This will give her a nurse to come in to her home to assess her physical condition.It will reduce your transportation to outpatient appointments.Good luck.

Thats awesome advice. I had not thought of any of that. Thanks, I'll be sure to ask about it!

MugCanDoIt
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
MUG!!! thank you SOOO much for updating us. it sounds like there's A LOT more hope than a couple of weeks ago.

If she's up to it, we'll be more than happy to have her hang out with us!!!! honest!!!

please give her all our best wishes and prayers. and there are a few for you as well - sounds like you'll have your hands full for awhile!!

I will tell her somebody has cared enough without even knowing her to invite her to this site for support. She will be happy to know that. Thanks for offering!!:hug:

missangelaks
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm sooooo glad to hear she is doing better! My sister had in-home care through medicaid...100%covered! Best of everything for your entire family!

You're in my thoughts!

Angela :hug:

xbubloox
03-13-2009, 11:42 AM
You need to fight!!!!! They cannot do that!

skatardrummer
03-14-2009, 02:16 AM
It sounds like she had the ring close up, which happens sometimes.

Also, the reason your sister is likely getting malnourished other than the obvious is because she's probably not taking the vitamin supplements she's supposed to be or getting all her protein. People that don't do those things can get malnourished just from that and it has nothing to do with the surgery. Also, if she doesn't eat the right things or stick to the stages, she will get nausea and vomiting. If she eats too much, same problem.

Don't get me wrong, it definately sounds like they made a mistake, but she needs to get the stuff iv fed to her if she can't take it because the patient is in control of most of the nutritional aspects of this surgery.

Also, my mother has Neuropathy of the feet. Hers was caused by an auto-immune disorder. Was this pre-existing for your sister? Neuropathy causes nerve damage and is typically related to a pre-existing condition or disease, though it can be set off by trauma. I don't see how neuropathy of the feet is related to a GBP surgery gone bad, but I'm not a doctor.

Good luck to you guys and I hope she feels better!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for the updates about your sister. Totally agree about the HOMECARE for her; her doctor can arrange for that for her very easily. We are so glad that she is feeling much better and has finally found some good care. Am keeping her in our prayers as well ... :hug:

MugCanDoIt
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
It sounds like she had the ring close up, which happens sometimes.

Also, the reason your sister is likely getting malnourished other than the obvious is because she's probably not taking the vitamin supplements she's supposed to be or getting all her protein. People that don't do those things can get malnourished just from that and it has nothing to do with the surgery. Also, if she doesn't eat the right things or stick to the stages, she will get nausea and vomiting. If she eats too much, same problem.

Don't get me wrong, it definately sounds like they made a mistake, but she needs to get the stuff iv fed to her if she can't take it because the patient is in control of most of the nutritional aspects of this surgery.

Also, my mother has Neuropathy of the feet. Hers was caused by an auto-immune disorder. Was this pre-existing for your sister? Neuropathy causes nerve damage and is typically related to a pre-existing condition or disease, though it can be set off by trauma. I don't see how neuropathy of the feet is related to a GBP surgery gone bad, but I'm not a doctor.

Good luck to you guys and I hope she feels better!

Was the neuropathy pre-existing? Well she did have it slightly in one leg before her surgery. So I dont know if her malnutrition after the surgery caused it now or what? Wish I knew....

MugCanDoIt
06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
read this DonnaRai

kiramira
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi there!
Ms Mug's sister is NOW ONLINE!!! Her name is Donna Rai, and I just found her thread. So y'all might want to say HI and WELCOME!!!

I'm just posting this because I didn't understand Ms Mug's last post, so here's the "missing link" so to speak!

Kira

wanttobethinandtrim
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
This is unbelieveable. I have never heard of a person who may be dying being told no from the Dr. who created this horrible mess. You really, really need to get a lawyer and they will fight for her to get the right treatment and sue his a**. No one should be treated like this and this is why lawyers are there ecspecially in this case to fight for her rights and hopfully get Drs like this guy from not practicing anymore. This is a serious problem that this dr created and even if your sister is doing better go after this jerk and make sure it doesn't happen to other people. Good luck and well wishes to your sister.

Donna rai
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I just wanted to say a quick hello and thanks to everyone who has responded to my sister, Mug's, posts about me. I would also like to thank her, once again, for her help---she helped to save my life. She got me to the dr and into the hospital just in time--they said I was dying and would have died had I not gotten medical attention when I did. My body was so depleted of most of it's nutrients, electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, etc..) that I was shutting down. I lost almost all of my hair from the malnutrition and lack of protein. I was in bad shape. Then they began TPN through a central line and I slowly began to get color back in me and get some strength to begin responsding to things again. It was a long ordeal--I was in the hospital for over 3 months and got out April 30, 2009.

But, today I am doing great! I am eating well (too well, in fact--ha ha) and up walking with a walker. I am in physical therapy and back on my vitamins and supplements as I should be at almost 1 year post op. I strill struggle with the pain from the neuropathy and being on a walker but am able to cope better now due to having an intrathecle (I know I misspelled that) pain pump put in. I am back in relationship with someone that I had previously been seperated from during my medical ordeal and they are able to help me get to my medical appointments and be my physical support as I keep on recoupering. I love my sister very much and will never be albe to have her fully understand just how much her helping has meant to me.

I appreciate all your words of encourgement you gave my sister as she had her own struggle seeing me go through what I went through. I am very happy to have found this site and have already posted asking for some encouragement and advice how to continue losing my last 50 lbs. So, any additional advice would be greatly appreciated and considered.

nanj
07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I am so glad to meet you and you are up-right and well frankly, ALIVE! I'm sorry for all that you have gone through and hope that you are well on your way to good health and a happier life. I'm glad that you have your sister and she cares for you so much. I have four sisters and two brother and they are such a pain at times, but I wouldn't give up a one of them!!! LOL!!!

What a time you have had! I want to personally thank you for allowing your sister and you for sharing your WLS life. It isn't something that is to be done lightly and it is very, very, necessary that people follow the WLS protocols set up by your doctor and nutritionist. I won't comment on your WLS surgeon, except YIKES!!!!

Please continue to let us know how you are doing and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Minya
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
oh my gosh, i can't believe the ordeal you went through! what a bad doctor...but I'm happy to see you're okay now and regaining that lost portion of your life. you and your sister are highly inspirational! hugs to you both!

Justwant2Bhealthy
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
:hug:DONNA RAI ~ so very glad to hear from you, and that you are on the road to recovery once again. Yes, it will take time, but you are on your way! You have a very good and loving and caring sister; now you can be a support system for each other. I agree with NANJ, post-op care is so very important; so glad you are in good medical hands now too!

This is a great place, so do stick around; there are lots of good people with great advice, and they are very supportive too! GOD BLESS, and prayers continue ... :hug: