Weight Loss Support - What made you want to change

View Full Version : What made you want to change

MichelleARFC
02-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Just curious what did it for you ? My thing is how I feel I am tired and snappy all the time and very uncomfortable

Thighs Be Gone
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Michelle, I felt snappy and uncomfortable too. I would try to do things with my family and was always the first to want to go back to the car. I felt too like since I was fat I had to "overcompensate" in other ways. My house had to be MORE than clean, my make-up had to be done flawlessly, my kids had to be the best-dressed and I had to donate more time, money and energy than anyone else around me. It clearly WASN'T working. I looked to my inside and started taking care of me. I wanted to lose the weight yes, but I wanted to make good choices for a healthier life first and foremost. I wanted (for a change) to make it all about ME.

CarolinaGirl
02-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with both of you. But the big thing for me is that I have an inner feeling or gut feeling that I need to get my weight under control. Not to "look good" per say but yes, that is part of it. But I want to live healthier, longer, and be more active. Like when I was younger and the way I felt when I was younger, but I do not necessarily want to be any younger. I like the aged wisdom I have now! lol Does anyone understand me? Maybe I'm just talking jibber, and it is hard to describe. And I am so anxious and excited about how much I have lost so far, and can invision much more of the weight coming off. I don't know but maybe my inner drive is much stronger or something. Even though I am not at the point yet to run a marathon- I "feel" like I can. Am I making any sense here? Anybody understand what I just tried to put into words??? lol!:dizzy:

DCHound
02-24-2009, 11:23 AM
For me, I just wanted to look as good on the outside as I felt on the inside. It is so nice not to have all those little aches and pains now, and have so much more energy. And to look better!

Lori Bell
02-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I have told this story before in a more detailed version, but I can't find it, So I'll give you a shortened version of it.

One day I had the worst panic attack I had ever had and I thought I was having a stroke and was very sure I was going to die right then and there. The thought of the local mortician making fun of my huge obese body and needing to call in extra help to prepare me for burial was the straw that broke the camels back. (Seriously) Many thoughts ran through my head regarding my death. I know it sounds morbid, and it is, but it is all it took to turn on that magic switch in my brain. I am forever grateful for that panic attack.

junebug41
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I was 22 and broke my ankle. I lived alone and had surgery and was stuck on my couch. I knew that that was the turning point. I was either going to quicken the pace on my current path of gaining weight or I was going to figure it out once and for all and lose weight. So I did. I hit the point where I had simply had enough.

CarolinaGirl
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
You've had great success and you look great! Thanks for being yet another inspiration for me!:hug:
I was 22 and broke my ankle. I lived alone and had surgery and was stuck on my couch. I knew that that was the turning point. I was either going to quicken the pace on my current path of gaining weight or I was going to figure it out once and for all and lose weight. So I did. I hit the point where I had simply had enough.

daydreamer
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
I used to be a dancer. I haven't danced in over a decade, and I miss it terribly. Plus, I'm getting older (I'm 36), and my body is starting to feel like it now. I want to be able to dance again, even if it's just for fun rather than for a career. And, I want to be able to look in the mirror and actually like what I see.

kaplods
02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
For me, there was no epiphany. There was no attitude shift, I've been trying desperately most of my life to lose weight. I care much less about weight loss now than I ever have in my life. Finally I got tired of the desperation, and the fact that dieting essentially only ever made me fatter (when I stopped dieting, I stopped gaining weight - and I wish I had never been put on a diet when I was 5. Maybe if I'd never dieted, I would have never been morbidly obese - I will never know that for sure).

It was an accident that gave me hope. My husband lost his job, I became unable to work and we moved to a cheaper area of the country. At my first checkup several months after we moved, I learned that I had lost 20 lbs. I've never in my life lost weight without trying so I started wondering if there were other ways that I could change the environment, rather than changing me. Maybe there was nothing wrong with me, maybe it was things outside of me that were the problem - and with a lot of trial and error I found that to be true.

By changing my birth control and switching to a low carb diet, I learned that I cannot eat simple and short chain carbohydrates - sugars and starchy food (even if they're "healthy" ones) without becoming extremely hungry for more carbs. Very low carb diets aren't for me, and I'm still struggling with finding the "right" carb level and avoiding the most addictive carbs. I keep trying to convince myself that I can eat a little piece of chocolate without overeating the rest of the day (and I keep proving myself wrong). Still, even making a lot of mistakes the weight is coming off slowly, but with virtually none of the effort I associate with weight loss in the past (which is good, because I don't have the patience or energy for that kind of stress anymore).

My motivation, determination, and willingness to make sacrifices is at it's lowest point ever in my life. I wish that instead of trying to change and blaming myself most of my life, I would have looked for the factors outside of myself that I needed to change. As it turns out, all I needed was two tools that I wasn't aware of (or hadn't been able to convince doctors to allow me access to). 1. stacking the bc, and 2. the low carb diet.

If I'd had those tools in my early 20's, when I weighed about 250, I think I would have soon reached a healthy weight or at the very least saved me the next nearly 150 lbs.

heather88
02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
The shame of losing a job on top of the shame for overeating and probably being over 300lbs just made something click . . . I went out and bought the BL cardio max dvd that I used to do with my roommate and made gradual changes to my diet . . . I began with exercising everyday, then cutting out soda, and then counting calories.

Honestly . . . losing that job was the best thing that ever happened to me, because it woke me up!

x0me880x
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I in all honesty don't even know. It was the most strange thing to ever happen to me. I have tried this over and over in the past and every time failed. It was literally like one day I woke up and had all the motivation in the world, said this has got to stop, I vow to never give up or let myself fail and theres no going back.

It sounds extremly cheesy but it was almost like a first day of the rest of your life type thing.

corazonas
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
another thing that happened to me was i just realized i was way to young to hate myself for the rest of my life. im a married housewife, business owner, mom of 3 but im 22 dang it! i want to live life to the fullest and be totally happy with myself- inside and out.

junebug41
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
You've had great success and you look great! Thanks for being yet another inspiration for me!:hug:

Thank you for making my day :)

Dianeofnka
02-24-2009, 05:17 PM
One day last summer I said, "This is not my body." It was the weirdest feeling, like I was in a sci-fi movie where I woke up inside someone else's body. And I was just ready to do what I had to in order to make changes!

jajabee
02-24-2009, 06:36 PM
For me it was moving to Portland, OR after a very unhealthy few years in TX and NY, and deciding that I was going to tie the new city to a new lifestyle in my head. So where "living in Dallas" meant "driving everywhere and eating fries with every meal" to me, "living in Portland" means "walking everywhere and keeping track of calories". That's just how it is there, no arguing with it. :)

In the bigger picture, though, it was realizing that I'm finally feeling ready to start a family with my husband, something he's been looking forward to for years.... and that I was running out of time to make myself a healthy person before that happens.

geoblewis
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
A year ago, when I went to a weight loss spa, their fitness expert asked what we envisioned our life like at the end of our days, how we wanted to live those days, what would we have liked to accomplish by then...and then she asked if we could do all of that from our convalescent home bed or from a wheel chair. I was just turning 47 and already panicking about what I hadn't accomplished in life yet. So that moment flipped a switch for me and fired up my motivation.

Within a couple of weeks, I had learned for the first time that I actually enjoyed some forms of exercise, and I started to experience that workout high I'd heard about. I was already eating healthfully, but just a little too much, and especially too much salt. Things started really changing for me then, and the weight started coming off, very much to my surprise. I have never looked back!

Geo

lindalou0510
02-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Tired of making excuses about my size. Sick of feeling like I wasn't worthy of love, a new job, new friends, because of my weight. I hid behind it, blaming the weight for all my failures. Easy to say, I don't have a husband or b/f because I'm fat!

I got sick of it, and just decided that I can either be a fatty for the rest of my life, and settle for less than I'm truly worth...or make some hard core changes, take control of my life, and live the 2nd half as a fabulous FIT person!

I am going to be 45 in May. I still have a long life ahead. I want it to be one where I don't worry about fitting in a lawn chair, bending over to put my socks on, can't fit in that amusement park ride, and LORD not going to the water park because whaling is outlawed in Illinois! LOL

The road is long, but I'm ready. The fat will NOT get the best of me this time! :carrot:

jellydisney
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I was in college, and I was playing one of the lead female roles in Pippin. And I didn't fit into the costume :o I had to take a seam-ripper to widen the bodice, and on top of that, the director had the :::ahem::: "tact" to say I looked like I had a "bun in the oven" in front of the whole cast.

So that was the final straw for me. Funny how easy it was to lose weight after public humiliation. I guess I'm grateful for his careless comment in the long run -- if I hadn't had that wake up call, I might be even heavier today.

pinkcandylee
02-24-2009, 08:18 PM
I decided to finally put myself first.

shrinkingviolet
02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
I started finally taking weight loss seriously enough to suffer for it (dieting hurts me) in August 2008. I was just ready to move forward. I was tired of feeling big and sweaty when I could remember the slender, slinky me as clear as day (she has been in hiding since my first pregnancy about 10 years ago). I lost around 22 lbs. in two months. In October 2008 I received a sucker punch in the form of a cervical cancer dx and in November I had a radical hysterectomy. They got the cancer, my lymph nodes were clear, and I didn't need to do radiation or chemo. Since the hysterectomy I've lost about 13 pounds without dieting due to a decreased appetite, but my appetite has recently returned and I realize the free ride is over. So, here I am today - Fat Tuesday - ready to reboot my dieting efforts and achieve absolutely glowing good health.

hotnewspirits
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm starting to realize my body is only as strong and healthy as the food I fuel myself with and the way I challenge my muscles and lungs.

Also, from the purely vain perspective, in my boyfriends group of friends and their girlfriends, I'm the most overweight. And it makes me feel icky when we go out to bars and they wear skimpy tops and I'm wearing like... a cardigan because I hate my arms so much and cause my boobs are so big I look slutty in anything that is even a little bit revealing.

Because of the aforementioned embarassment over my body and not being able to dress in a way that suits the social occassion I've been reluctant to go out with them, which was the first time I allowed myself to acknowledge that I was allowing my weight to prevent myself from having fun. Don't get me wrong, I know I don't have that much weight to lose and there is another girl in the group who is close to my weight(she might even be more, I've always wanted to know haha) but VERY different body type, and she wears more revealing things, but I just can't do it at this weight. I just can't.

Extasee58865
02-25-2009, 10:30 AM
This is what made me want to change... UGh, so DISGUSTING!
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m270/Extasee58865/gross.jpg

JenMusic
02-25-2009, 12:06 PM
I've had various "lightbulb moments" over the years, but the thing that really made me think I needed to do something happened last year - I had extreme chest pain and was convinced that I was having a heart attack. At age 29. In a foreign country where I wasn't fluent in the languge. YIKES!

It turned out (after being stared at in the hospital and freaking out, knowing I was going to die at any moment) that I was suffering from costochondritis, an inflammation of the sternum and cartilage. I recovered well with rest. But it was scary enough to make me realize I wanted a long, healthy life, where I didn't have various cardiac and diabetic risk factors at such a young age.

time2lose
02-25-2009, 12:39 PM
I was miserable. I felt physically bad and my mobility was affected. That really scared me. I had tried and failed so many times that I did not think I could lose weight and keep it off.

Then I had a light bulb moment. I have a son in college. He was feeling a bit overwhelmed when considering the number of courses he would need and the length of time that it will take him. I reminded him that when he was a freshman in high school, he did not stop to think about the number of courses he would need to graduate. Neither did he stop to think “It is going to take me FOUR years to graduate high school.” Going to school was his life and time passed quickly. Before he knew it, he was graduating. I told him to do the same thing with college. Just do what he needs to do today, don't worry about next semester or next year. Then time will pass quickly and graduation day would be here.

The light bulb went off in my head. The same is true for me with losing weight and getting healthy. There is no quick fix. I just have to do whatever is needed TODAY. If I do that everyday, then one day I will realize that it is graduation day because I will be at a healthy weight.

amy180
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
One day last summer I said, "This is not my body." It was the weirdest feeling, like I was in a sci-fi movie where I woke up inside someone else's body. And I was just ready to do what I had to in order to make changes!

I was about to post nearly the exact same thing, ha. One summer I met up with some friends I hadn't seen in years. They took photos on their phones and emailed them to the rest of us. I saw me in the pic and DID NOT recognize me. Seriously, it did not look like me. Even the face; at my LW I have a square jaw and angular face, at my HW everything was rounded in a way that was shockingly different. Nevermind the fact they probably barely recognized me at first, the shock seeing myself (I'd been avoiding cameras, haha) freaked me out in a big way. And I resented myself for it. I know that's not the healthy thing to do, better to make changes because being healthy is good than because you hate yourself, but I know that if I don't get healthier, I will be feeling badly physically and mentally, and my self esteem is greatly affected too, I just don't feel comfortable in the body i'm in right now and want to change that for many reasons.