Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Suggestions on how to eat on yoga days?

I use a food/exercise journal and add up my calories each day. On Mondays, I have a 7 p.m. yoga class and have learned from experience NOT to eat anything at least two hours before the class starts. This is awkward because I work until 5 p.m., have a 40-minute commute and get home just as my husband is starving and wanting to eat.

Yesterday I had a Kashi bar and 14 almonds at 4:30 while I was still at work. When I got home, my husband was heating up leftover macaroni and cheese and roasted vegetables from the night before. I was ravenous and it smelled so good it was torture! But I didn't want to feel sick at yoga, so I resisted eating. Got home at 9 p.m. and it seemed too late to be eating anything much, but I was so hungry! I had a whole wheat (Pepperidge Farm) English muffin spread with almond butter and a cup of dark hot cocoa. I can't stay up late and I don't like to eat too much before sleeping. My calorie counts for the day were good, but light on the veggies and fruits. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to better structure my eating on yoga nights?
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

I have a yoga class that is at 7:30 and it drives me nuts also. I generally eat some fruit and nuts or crackers about an hour before. They don't seem to affect me as much as a larger meal. I'll then eat a light dinner - around 300 calories when I get home. i don't enjoy eating that late but it all works out in the end.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

When I was signed up for a 7:30 yoga class, I made more pots of soup on the weekend. I'd freeze a lot of it, use the rest for lunch. I noticed that eating a generous helping of vegetable soup before class was fine. That would tide me over to dinner, which would be very light.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

If you're still losing weight even if you eat later at night, just keep doing what your doing, I'd say, it's only one day a week ...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-25-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #5  
No description available.

I have a similar issue with my weightlifting times. I work till 5, get home, and shouldn't eat before I head out to the gym or I risk puking.

Are you a vegetarian?

I've learned to eat on the way home---string cheese, hardboiled egg, fruit, veggie sticks, turkey slices, protein shake. That way I'm not starving before I go to the gym---cause that's when I tend to eat a cookie or two---cause those won't cause be nausea at the gym.

After I lift weights, I lose my appetite for awhile but I still try to get some veggies and protein in before bedtime. I think your english muffin sounds like a good choice for some occasions. Yum!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote