Alternachicks - female music

View Full Version : female music

lizziep
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi! I am in the mood for some good female artists to get me going- while I work out and just in general. Would love to hear some feedback about who you love or songs that make you feel good/strong whatever! I feel like surrounding myself in some feminist power lately but I've really lost track of music since well pretty much the 90's.

juls64
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I like music by The Donnas (sort of remind me of the Runaways/early Joan Jett) and The Veronicas (just fun upbeat stuff). Other female artists/groups I like are the Indigo Girls, Pink and Blondie.

I'm sure there will be a lot of great suggestions!

fmb101
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Not that long ago I was searching for the same thing. This is the list I put together after spending a ton of time scouring message boards, lists and such. Some sites called it liquid estrogen...lol Real girl power!!!

Whatcha waiting for - Gwen Stefani
Fighter - Christina Aguilara
Wind it up - Gwen Stefani
I'm just a girl - No Doubt
Stronger - Britney Spears
Survivor - Destiny's Child
This is why I'm hot (girl remix) - Tila Tequila
Pump it - Black Eyed Peas

icandoallthings6613
03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
If you like punk rock, Brody Dalle, the frontwoman of The Distillers has a new band called Spinnerette, and they're pretty rockin'. They've just got a couple singles and and EP out on itunes, and their first album should becoming out in a month or so. Check them out!!

nellibabyy
03-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Definitely The Veronicas "Untouched."

And i don't know if you're a Britney fan, but Britney Spears' CD Circus is packed with Fast tempo, energizing music. U should check it out. It's awesome for working out!

:] Nelli

shatteredfallendove
03-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Within Temptations- Ice Queen
tegan and sara-walkin with a ghost
Pink- So What
Lady Gaga- Just Dance
Meg and Dia- Monster
Vanessa Carlton- A thousand Miles
FeFe Dobson- Take me Away
Superchick -One Girl Revelution
Nightwish-End of all hope

Up beat music (technoish)
Nightcore-Dam Dadi Doo
A kiss could be deadly - The exit, midnight romance
cascada- hurricane
Britney Spears- Circus

Hope that helps. :-)

Gypsy Severina
03-06-2009, 04:37 AM
shattered- I love A Kiss Could Be Deadly! I prefer Poison IV, though, very *****y badass chick, lol

shatteredfallendove
03-06-2009, 07:55 AM
OMG GYSPY- I HAVE NEVER MET ANYONE WHO LIKED THEM (granted, they are not a band any more) OMG your awsume

I like posion IV too its my second fav, after Midnight Romance :-)

LOL

bopeep
03-06-2009, 02:48 PM
If you're into techno/electropop, Ladytron is good. I'm a huge Natacha Atlas fan, and I also love Shakira's Ojos Asi.

BP

Bear
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm loving Lady Gaga's cd lately. Some really good ones are Boys Boys Boys, Poker face, Lovegame, and Starstruck. They all have great beats.

I'm also going to recommend Britney's new CD. Especially the song Kill the Lights. Love that one. If U Seek Amy is another one that's got a spectacular beat. I love dance music lol.

river
03-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a "Chick" playlist on my ipod that I typed out for a few friends, here it is cut and pasted. Song is listed first then artist- I use it for running so first and last songs are more mellow.

something stupid- nancy sinatra (with Frank)
Smoke detector - rilo kiley
Fruit Machine- the ting tings
love in a trashcan- the raveonettes
the bomb- bitter:sweet
Mercy- duffy
We walk- ting tings
what you waiting for- gwen stefani
the mating game- bitter;sweet
in these shoes- kirsty maccoll- Listen to THIS one for sure!!!!
that's not my name- ting tings
**** me pumps- amy winehouse
shut up and let me go- ting tings
chick habit- april march- LISTen to THIS one
Baby it's you- SMITH
Give it up or let me go- Bonnie Raitt
Keep your head- ting tings
gold dust woman- fleetwood mac
the sweet escape- gwen stefani
rich girl- gwen stefani
mercedes benz- janis joplin
traffic light- ting tings
everythings just wonderful- lily allen
gimme all your lovin -macy gray
What it feels like for a girl- madonna
just a girl- no doubt
walkin after midnight- patsy cline
danny's all star joint= rickie lee jones
steve mcqueen- cheryl crow
don't look back- telepopmusik
the story- brandi carlile
j'ai deux amours- madeleine peyroux (CHECK HER OUT)

swandive81
03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm a big indigo girls fan, but admittedly that is not "pump it up" music. but amy ray of the IG's solo stuff has a much harder edge, and is really fantastic.

beesknees
03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh wow! There are so many female artists I am absolutely in love with. My top faves are Neko Case, Aimee Mann, Patti Griffin, Bjork, My Brightest Diamond, Cat Power. I also love Beach House and Fiery Furnaces - they have female vocalists.

I don't always listen to "upbeat" music at the gym. Sometimes I just like to clear my mind in the mornings and listen to a new album... something I haven't heard yet. I don't have much time to do it any other time.

fenderella5678
03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I just discovered Juliette & the Licks, and I LOVE them. Yeah Yeah Yeahs has some pretty good workout music too (especially on Fever to Tell).

grneyedmustang
03-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Pink has a lot of "girl power" songs that I've fallen in love with. Esthero is pretty good, too.

bunnyface
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi I listen to what I call my RAWR GRRLS when I workout, even though most of them arent really new and most of the bands have already broken up i love them to death

Punk Rock/Riot Grrls
Babes in toyland-Girl cant help it, swamp pussy, fork down throat, handsome and gretal, fair is foul and foul is fair, he's my thing , sweet 69
betty blowtorch-Strung out, their album Are you man enough
bif naked- i love myself today, i like ****ing, rebel girl
bikini kill-**** tease
bratmobile-chicken or egg,not in dog years, do you like me like that, eating toothpaste, gimme brains, brat girl
The butchies-Lucystoners, send me you
the distillers-all of their songs
the dresden dolls-girl anachronism, dirty business, shores of california, the time has come,
Free kitten- secret sex friend
the gits-seaweed, second skin, guilt within your head
heavens to betsy- waitress ****, terrorist
Huggy bear- no sleep, cant kiss, erotic bleeding, herjazz, dissintetic penetration, pansy twist,
Jack off jill-American Made, Fear of Dying, **** Halo, angels **** and devils kiss, Boygrinder, Devil with the Black Dress On, Horrible, Losing His Touch, Super Sadist
L7-wargasm
Lunachicks- all of their music has really good workout/rockout energy
the messengers-
seven year *****- miss understood, 8 ball deluxe, i want it, hip like junk, icy blue, kiss my as goodbye,
Tribe 8- all of their songs are good to workout/rockout
X-ray specs- oh bondage up yours

Electroclashy/folky/other stuff
***** and animal- best cock on the block, secret candy, pussy manifesto, sparkly queen areola, dog grab dog, drag king bar
feist- secret heat
Peaches- all of her songs
ladytron-he took her to a movie,
Le tigre- my my metrocard, whats ya take on cassavettes, mediocrity rules
ani difranco- egos like hairdos, pick yer nose, anticipate, as is, every state line, in or out, light of some kind, the million that you never made, 32 flavors, deep dish,what if no ones watching, if it isnt her, im no heroine, jukebox
Pansy division-*** they are an all boys band but i feel like funny feminist gay guys kinda count "i'm gonna be a slut" always makes it onto my grrl lists

PinkyPie
04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I absolutely Love PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. Not all tunes are workout material but there are several that totally make me feel like a rock chick!

lizziep
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks! I totally forgot all about posting this until it got bumped. :) I can't wait to check out some new music.

i got to see b*tch & animal open for Ani Difranco last year- so awesome!! I was in love.

choirgirlhotel
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Imogen Heap!! Especially the album with Frou Frou has some good upbeat music. Her latest one I listen to at the gym a lot - that would be iMegaphone, fave song is Headlock.

I'm also into Britney Spears and Madonna remixes for the gym. I've got about 10 remixes for Madonna's latest "Miles Away" song!!

Thin White Duke (Jacques Le Cont) does good Madonna and Gwen Stefani remixes.

~Choirgirl~

bobblefrog
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
O!M!G! "Alternachicks" I am so excited I found this!!!!! And inspired. I checked out Spinnerette on blip and I love them. I plan on lurking here often as I never blossomed from a new wave chick to truely punk. Just went to frumpy. But I plan on pulling out a few celebratory surprises when I reach my goal weight...even if it's just my first tattoo and maybe a rad haircut...GRIN. I know you all will truely be my inspiration.

bobblefrog
04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Oh and may I add thank you bunnyface...I just had my day made with Lunachick's MMMM DONUTS. I am dying over here. What a great workout song!

GradPhase
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm just going to echo - Paramore, paramore, paramore!!

octoberfalling
05-06-2009, 01:20 AM
bunnyface has some great ones there!!!
i will just add ani difranco, and tegan and sara
maybe some sleater kinney and even the start or human waste project. all great groupa

zanni
06-29-2009, 12:07 AM
my workout playlist is chalk full of female artists! Here are some of them... and the songs i suggest for workout music!

Ani Difranco "Little Plastic Castle" "Shy" "Shameless" "Slide" "Alla This" and so many more!
Tegan and Sara "The Con" "The First" "Walking with a Ghost" "Living room" "I hear Noises etc.
Regina Spektor "Folding Chair" "Hotel Song" "Better" "Love Affair" "Poor Little Rich Boy"
Fiona Apple "Fast as You Can" "Criminal" "Tymps"
Melissa Ferrick "Closer" "Inside" "Drive"
An Horse "Company" "Post Cards"
The Ting Tings "Great DJ" "That's not my name"
The Veronicas "Untouched"
Nelly Furtado "Explode" "Turn off the Light" "Man Eater
Missy Eliot "Get your freak on"
Northern State "Ooh Girl" "Sucka Mofo" "Mother May I" "Things I'll Do"
Alanis Morissette "You oughta know" "Eight Easy Steps"
FrouFrou (Imogen Heap) "Let Go"
Le Tigre "TKO"
***** and Animal "Croquet"
Persephone's Bees "City of Love"
Kaki King "Playing with Pink Noise"
Corinne Baily Rae "Put your records on"
Anna Nalick "Bleed" "Consider This"
The Andrews Sisters "Boogey Woogey Bugle Boy"
Rachel Yamagata "Worn Me Down" "1963"
Tori Amos "Cornflake Girl"
Toshi Reagon "You" "22 Hours"
Tracy Bonham "Mother Mother"
Michelle Branch "All I Wanted" "Are You Happy Now" "Lay me down"(with The Wreckers)
The Dresden Girls "Girl Anachronism" "Shores of California" "Dirty Business"
Natalie Imbruglia "Torn" "The City"
Rhianna "SOS"
Lady Gaga "Poker Face" "Just Dance"
Britney Spears "Piece of Me" "Womanizer"
Christina Aguillera "Candy Man"
Liz Berlin "Ask"
Mariah Carey "Dream Lover" "Heart Breaker" "Honey"

rileyozzy
06-29-2009, 12:26 AM
The Breeders - Cannonball
The Go-Go's - We Got the Beat
No Doubt - Doormat

BerkshireGrl
06-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but it's a great resource...

http://www.ladyslipper.org

Comprehensive catalog of music by women and independent record label devoted to furthering new musical directions for women musicians.

It's more a folksy earth mama feel than hard rocking out though, but not entirely ;)

Amy Blue
06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello! Here are a few of my faves thus far:

"Crushcrushcrush" / "Misery business" / "Decode" - Paramore
"Paparazzi" / "Beautiful dirty rich" - Lady Gaga
"4 Minutes" / "Die another day" - Madonna
"L.E.S. Artistes" - Santogold
"Machine gun" - Portishead
"Sober" - P!nk
"You are the one" - Shiny Toy Guns
"Hometown glory" - Adele
"Tapes" / "You outta know" - Alanis Morissette
"Sweep" / "Eyes on fire" - Blue Foundation
"Foundations" - Kate Nash
"Little bit" - Lykke Li
"As the rush comes" - Motorcycle & Dresden
"Chick habit" - April March
"Prescilla" / "Daniel" - Bat for Lashes
"Nobody's home" - Avril Lavigne
"Dancing with myself" - The Donnas
"We are" / "Black hole" - Ana Johnsson
"Before I'm dead" - Kidney Thieves
"Bruises" - Chairlift
"Paper planes" - M.I.A.
"Cruel summer" - Bananarama
"Ain't nobody" - Chaka Khan
"Edge of seventeen" - Stevie Nicks
"Love is a battlefield" - Pat Benetar
"Christine" / "Face to face" - Siouxsie & the Banshees
"Street people" - Firefox
"The chain" - Fleetwood Mac
"Out of my head" - Ashlee Simpson
"Fascination" - Alphabeat
"Displaced" - Azure Ray
"Nobody's fault but mine" - Beth Rowley
"Hold on, hold on" - Neko Case
"The definition" / "What about us?" / "Anybody" - Brandy
"Gimme more" / "Slave 4 u" / "Toxic" - Britney Spears
"Atomic" / "Heart of glass" / "Rapture" - Blondie
"Walk like an egyptian" / "Manic Monday" - Bangles
"Date with the night" - Yeah yeah yeahs
"Smash and grab" - Juliette & the Licks
"I'm so sick" - Flyleaf
"Weak" / "Secretly" / "100 Ways to be a good girl" - Skunk Anansie
"Just a girl" / "Hella good" - No Doubt
"What you waitin' for?" / "Hollaback girl" - Gwen Stefani
"Hide and seek" / "Just for now" / "The moment I said it" / "Cumulus" - Imogen Heap
"Let go" / "Holdin' out for a hero" - Frou Frou
"I can be" / We need a resolution" / "Try again" - Aaliyah

keenbean
07-11-2009, 03:15 AM
A bunch of Liz Phair's older stuff has some excellent kick; the song Baby Got Going really gets me going

Sojourner
07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Female vocals...

The Kills... I am in love with Alison Mosshart... she is now also fronting The Dead Weather
Yeah Yeah Yeahs... Karen O is a goddess
Metric... LOVE Emily Haines
The Raveonettes
Tegan & Sara
The Ettes

RubyGuggenheim
07-17-2009, 07:52 AM
I absolutely Love PJ Harvey, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. Not all tunes are workout material but there are several that totally make me feel like a rock chick!

Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is probably my favorite album of hers, but when you just want to be nuts Uh Huh Her is the best to blast!

Other good female-lead bands:

Soko
The Concretes
The Waitresses
CocoRosie

The Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees combo album of the Magnetic Fields is fantastic and has all female singing (and a lot of spectacular songs).

NakedHousewife
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
More Tegan and Sara love here- they have lots of fun upbeat stuff. Speak Slow is my warm-up song. I have taken to using Pandora a lot when working out, keeps things fresh!

diyana
07-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Here are my favorite female artists...and I like too many of their songs to list them all:

The Donnas
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac
Heart
Pat Benatar
Blondie
Evanescence
Lita Ford
Pink
Tori Amos
Sheryl Crow
Alanis Morrissette

Another female band I really like that no one has ever heard of is: Antigone Rising. Their "From the Ground Up" CD is AWESOME! They're incredibly talented and put on an awesome live show, but not a lot of amped up workout music.

dizzysoi
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
hmm i really love riot grrrl music so here's a list of bands you should check out:

Sleater-Kinney (absolute fave band in that genre)
babes in toyland
bikini kill - check out the song rebel girl
blue foundation - check out the song eyes on fire
bratmobile
hole - they did celebrity skin
jack of jill
L7
Lash
Le Tigre

And a bunch more, those are just my favourites.

slayingthedreamer
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Nightwish is my number one female-fronted band. Yes, the band is made up mostly of men(yummy eye candy at that. ) but that doesn't mean that it's all aggressive. Bye Bye Beautiful and Sahara are 2 of the best songs I think, as well as Wishmaster(makes ya laugh if you've never heard the song before)Um, Planet **** is another good song, nice and upbeat. There's so many goodies to choose from. Ooh, and I should also mention Fantasmic, Britney Spears actually used the intro of that for one of her gigs in Copenhagen, Denmark. Did I mention that I'd seen Nightwish live? OMG they kick butt!!!!!

Arch Enemy gets played when I'm on the rag, simply because it's aggressive and touches my pain. Another 'once in a while' band i adore is Lacuna Coil.

napalmtree
08-20-2009, 04:20 AM
I've recently got into this solo artist named Lenka. She's got a slightly more popish slant to her style, though, so she might not be for everyone. My two favorite songs by her at the moment are: The Show, and Trouble is a Friend.

I personally have a hard time listening to chicks backing up most genres of rock and metal because they make it sound too pop. (I am a girl, btw) BUT...

Nightwish (with Tarja Turenen...Anette is ok, but not nearly as good. Try Phantom of the Opera and Wish I Had an Angel first.)
Tarja's Turenen's solo album
Krypteria (Scream is a good intro song.)
Leaves' Eyes
Emilie Autumn (she's a bit of an acquired taste...Try Thank God I'm Pretty and Marry Me to see if she's your thing. Her instrumental-only songs are good if you hate her voice. She plays an electric violin!)

Most of the bands I like have male-fronted vocals, though occasionally they use girls for backup. For instance, Kamelot is a great band that occasionally slips in some female vocals to contrast with Khan's voice.

maryquitecontrary
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
i loved bunnyface's list!

i am also a huge fan of the All Girl Summer Fun Band, Julie Ruin, La Fraction, Sahara Hotnights, The Sounds and the Midnight Creeps

Hydra
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I like to listen to Beth Hart, she is in the genre of Melissa Ethridge and Janis Joplin, very rockin'. (my bf calls her "that angsty chick" lol)

I also like to listen to Flyleaf, harder rock and the female lead has an awesome voice.

Heart is good to have a listen to, especially if you can find tracks from earlier in their career, very rockin' and high energy.

Nina Hagen, she sings many genres of music but I prefer her 80s punk music.

Joan Jett is just plain wonderful and fun to listen to.

:dancer::yay:

petfresh
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Wow, I'm surprised so many people here like riot grrl music. You guys have some good taste, maybe i'll lurk around this subforum some more :)

rachinma
09-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I like Liz Phair's old stuff. You know -- before she sold out. ;)

Metal Chick
09-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I thought I would add my two cents. These are some of my favorites:

Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting : I love this one if I'm feeling all gothy and nostalgic.
Poe - Haunted : This is one of my favorite albums ever. Few people know about it, but everyone should. Every song on this album is awesome.
Republica This album has a relentless techno beat, with a cool pop/rock melody on top.

I love Lita Ford and Janet Jackson too, of course. They remind me of being 10 and wanting to grow up to be them some day. haha I'm still working on the growing up part.

I also love those old country story songs by tough redneck chicks! You know, songs about murder, birth control, drinking, prostitution and love? hahaha Women like Loretta Lynn, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, June Carter Cash, Jessi Colter and Bobbie Gentry were singing about that stuff when it wasn't OK to TALK about it! If you're not familiar you might want to check some of it out. It's more "Americana" than "Country". Think Johnny Cash rather than Shania Twain. ;) Makes me feel like a badass after a little bit of singing along.

BUT I would really recommend supporting your local artists. Most towns are going to have girl bands nowadays. Go and see them! Buy a CD! Let them know they rock as hard as the boys!

DasBeat
10-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Kelis has awesome girl songs.
I also like listening to the Runaways, X-Ray Spex, Beyonce, Amerie and Lil Kim to get revved up.