Weight Loss Support - What was your "lightbulb" moment?

View Full Version : What was your "lightbulb" moment?

MissVitality
02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
When you knew you had to lose weight and committed to a healthier lifestyle?

At my heaviest, I weighed 294 pounds, could hardly walk more than a few yards without getting out of breath, was extremely inactive, found it difficult to buy nice clothes that fit me and generally didn't take very good care of myself.

I seriously think I was in denial or something for a very long time that I had a problem though. I had no inclination to do anything to change my situation despite feeling so self-conscious and unhappy.

The change came about one day in a changing room in a plus size store. I was trying on a top and checking myself out in the mirror. I realised I looked as if I was heavily pregnant with triplets! I burst into tears. I didn't want to look that way, I wanted to wear nice clothes and look attractive, take care of my hair and skin, be healthy, feel alive, have energy! I wanted to feel like a normal person and stop comparing myself with others and finding myself lacking. Most of all, I wanted to stop using my weight as an excuse to hide behind for not having achieved various things in life.

I committed that very day to changing my lifestyle. I have a long way to go but so far, I have lost 75 pounds, I am an exercise fanatic, I look after my hair, skin, nails, wear make-up, am (usually) full of energy and feel so much happier. I have pursued other goals as well, rather than telling myself I can't because of my weight.

What flipped the switch for you?

corazonas
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
it was just a random day when i woke up and deicded to stop hating the way i looked and felt. and the only way to do that was to change it. so i did...

Rosinante
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
I lost a lot of weight 02-04.
I gained 85% back 04-09.
I kept nearly starting back and got to one day when I logged in all the 'healthy, vegetarian' food I'd eaten that day. (I'm not vegetarian, it was just one of those days).
2,500 calories!!!! Hllfire!
I realized then just how much knowledge/awareness I'd lost, started calorie counting to 1500 the next day and have managed it fine since Feb 3rd.
I think the boost to the lightbulb came when after only a few pounds my shirts started fitting better.

Good luck with your journey!

MindiV
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
For a long time I was dissatisfied with how I looked and felt. I got out of breath so easily, and knew I needed a change. I was just afraid to take the first step. It was a fear of failure, more than anything. I think the real "lightbulb" moment was when I went to work out for the first time, and realized I COULD do it, after all. It was all downhill from there.

cakses
02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
When my "fat jeans" (size 18 stretch) got tight. I had zero energy and the only activity I wanted to do was to drive somewhere to eat out. GAH! I said enough is enough. I'm not buying another size up and I am not spending our entire paycheck (after bills) on eating out. I hated getting dressed to go out because nothing fit nicely and I didn't spend money on clothes because I refused to buy in larger sizes. I hated going shopping because I would always leave depressed that nothing fit me.

Now I look in the mirror and even though I still have a ways to go I don't shudder when I catch a profile of myself. I have accomplished a lot and clothes are starting to fit nicely. I can go into the womens section in a store and find something - and my tops are all size medium now! I'm not 100% satisfied of course, but it's a far cry from the crying in the dressing room I used to do.

DCHound
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
For me it was when I realized that I had been depressed for 20 years but didn't know it . . . and realizing I wasn't depressed anymore. I felt great on the inside and I wanted to look great on the outside. I finally felt like I deserved all the good things in life, including taking care of myself because I am a wonderful person and I deserve to be healthy as well as happy. Now, 96 lbs later, I am beginning to look more on the outside like I feel on the inside. I can't wait to get rid of the rest of this weight. It's the most important thing in my life and, six months and one week into this lifestyle change, I am just as motivated and committed as I was on day one...

beerab
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm like cakses, when my size 18's starting fitting uncomfortable I was like NO I am not going to get to a size 20! I say myself in pictures (the few I'd take) and I was just HUGE. I finally decided that's it, since then I've gone down from 230 to 213 and am a comfortable size 16. When the day comes and I hit a size 14 I'll probably dance around the house lol.

lovelosing
02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
For me, it was several things hitting in the same week. I rushed to catch a train and found myself gasping for breath. I realized I was choosing my clothes based only on what I could squeeze myself into. I stepped on the scale (which I'd been avoiding for ages) and saw the highest number ever. It all added up to make me finally admit that I was unhealthy because I was so overweight.

eviemc
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
One day at church I was walking to my SS room upstairs and I was so out of breath someone told me, you really should go to a dr about that cold. They were being nice because that is what is sounded like was chest congestion. However I did not have a cold I was just so fat and out of shape that I could not breath. For me it is not about a magic # but a feeling of being able to do more, the # is a wonderful addition though.LOL

wendyland
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I love reading threads like this. It's such an inspiration.

I haven't lost much weight yet, but I have made tons of changes from within that I know will result in weight loss soon. The biggest click I've ever had came last summer when my mom died of a heart attack. She was only 45 She had lost probably 80 lbs, I'm guessing when she was around 36 - 37. She was probably around 220 when she died. She ate bad foods (lots of fast food) and didn't exercise at all. She was also a really big drinker and partied hardy and those things had a big hand in her death. I live a much healthier lifestyle, but it is still a wakeup call to me to take better care of my health and lose the extra weight for good.

I've made a lot of changes regarding how I feel about myself on the inside. I'm determined that this time I am making permanent changes. Even if it takes longer than I'd like to lose weight, it's more important to me to change my habits so that I'm healthy for good.

baygurl
02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Which time? There has been many like when I started breaking plastic lawn furniture,had to squeeze into a amusement park ride and hold my stomach in so the door would fit..
This time I had gone down about 30 pounds and last week noticed my clothes were getting tighter and I said no more I have to do this for myself and my family. I hate how I look and feel and need to find the new me.

moonkissed
02-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Well last year when I joined this site and started really trying it was just me hitting an all time low. It was after my 25th birthday and then new years and I realized I was wasting my life away whining and complaining and not really changing anything.

But it didn't last for long and I fell off the wagon and ignored it all.

Then this time started when I went to the ER. I had been feeling sick for almost 2 weeks and it finally ended with me being in crazy pain. I went to the ER and my blood sugar was over 300. They told me I had diabetes and I knew then that no excuse was good enough, I had to change.

joyra
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Well, I'd like to think it was people believing I was pregnant FIVE TIMES IN ONE YEAR. The first time or two I cried. By the 5th time I was ready to punch the person.

But it wasn't until I moved to Korea that I got serious about it. I would've LOVED to lose all 60 lbs while I'm here for a year and go back and shock the **** out of everyone... but right now I'm not losing at that pace so I'll just be happy to continue losing and whatever I'm at after 6 months when I head home will be good enough.

juls64
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
When I had to lie on the bed to button my jeans and hold my breath to tie my shoes.

beerab
02-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh man joyra I know that feeling- in one year I was asked 3 times if I was pregnant! It was very devastating to me!

janann
02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
my light bulb moment came when I was so frustrated in a fitting room that I broke down and cried.

aneleh
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
When I lost the first 20lbs the light bulb moment was realizing summer was coming and it would be yet another year where I'd be too self-concious to go swimming or wear shorts, and that I was halfway through university and never experienced all the fun that goes with it.

This January, my light bulb moment was realising I did absolutely no exercise at all, and was a couch potato! I started running on January 2nd and now I'm doing 6km runs!

CandaceG
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
One day I just stopped and thought, now is the time, I am ready to let go of all this extra weight. It was like something inside me changed and was ready.
Candace

crazycurls
02-23-2009, 10:43 PM
One day I just stopped and thought, now is the time, I am ready to let go of all this extra weight. It was like something inside me changed and was ready.
Candace

This is exactly how I felt. I was just ready to not be fat anymore.

willow650
02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
My time was when I had to buy my first sz 14 and and hit 200 on the scale. i didn't even weigh 200 with my highest pregnancy weights

Cantrip
02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
For me it was a lot of little things. I knew that I was gaining weight. I didn't wear half my pants anymore because they were too tight. I kept trying to suck in my gut when I went out in public. One day I took a load of laundry upstairs and when I got to the top my heart was pounding and I was out of breath. "This is ridiculous," was what I thought. I decided to get off my lazy butt and get myself in shape for once.

kestrel
02-23-2009, 11:56 PM
My weight stabilized (and then actually went up a little) when my 3rd child was 2 months old. I bought a new pair of jeans at Old Navy's half price sale back in the fall and the 18s were so tight I could barely get into them. I was really depressed about my weight, I had been heavy since I was 20-21 (I'm in my mid-30s now) and felt like it was a losing battle. I saw a friend's weight loss ticker and was impressed, and though that hey, if she could do it then I could do it too. I PMd her and asked her about it, then signed up for WW online the next day.

horsey
02-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh i've had a whole lot of "light bulb moments" in my yo yo dieting, the real light bulb stuff is when I lose in spurts, then I regain and need a two by four over my head... those two by fours and light bulb moments, they are the same right?

loveLauren
02-24-2009, 01:10 AM
mine came when i saw a pic of me on christmas and i looked huge. I hated the way I felt about myself and decided to change. so i did.

SouthLake
02-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, I've been trying to lose weight for what seems like most of my life. But I guess the real "oh my God" moment came last weekend. I want skiing and tried out the gear I bought this winter. And it hurt. Every single second on that hill was painful, I could only make it 50 yards before I'd have to stop and rest. (Last winter I was 25 pounds lighter) And it finally occurred to me- I am reaching a point where my weight will stop me from doing the things I love, and keep me from living the life I want to live and deserve to have. Losign weight is no longer an issue of appearances or sizes, but an issue of not wanting to give up on life before I'm 25.

koolkiwi
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Having to buy 3x tops and finally being ready to change my life and not just diet.

flatiron
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
My "light bulb" moment was when I was in the VA Hospital getting a check up and I had two appontments that day and when I finished with one the doctor told me to just carry my medical files to my other appointment because it would be faster and while in transit I was in an elevator and I peeked into my medical files and there I saw my doctor's comment.

Patient is MORBIDLY OBESE .....

... and that's when it really hit me like a punch to the stomach. :(

midwife
02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Flatiron, Your is a lot like mine. I read some notes from a physical exam where the NP said I was a "pleasant, obese female."

Nothing like seeing it in black and white.

I thought, I am not "obese", but then I checked my BMI and I sure was. Took me a couple more years to figure out how to lose the weight and keep it off.

munchievictim
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
seeing the big 2-0-0 was the wake-up call for me. I got down to 170 unhealthily last summer but was sooo happy with the way I looked. I would pass myself in a mirror and have to stop and stare and look at my arms and look at my belly and I would just well up with happiness.
Then I stopped the unhealthy habits and gained back the weight, of course. I was miserable and depressed for awhile and when I finally climbed back on the scale I weighed 200. I couldn't stand the thought of losing all that progress and going back to being so unhappy with myself.
So i'm losing again.

saraRae
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
For me it was when I realised just how close I was to weighing 300 pounds! I was in denial for so long that it never occured to me that I weighed more than most of the people on the Biggest Loser!

Mickeypnd
02-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Seeing the big 200.

mystyblue85
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
I had a few "OMG" moments; but I think the real kicker was when my five year old daughter asked me to play with her and my son (who was 2 at the time) and I started to play. We were running through the house and I got winded after about 5 minutes and my daughter kept asking me what hurt. It was ridiculously embarassing and I knew it was time to change.
Another time, my daughter was trying to understand the concept of growing up and she would say: Nate Nate is going to be big like Daddy when he grows up and I'm gonna be REALLY big just like you Mommy!
I started to cry...Now, when she wants to play, I have her do Walk Away the Pounds with me...she loves to exercise...lol

JustFluffy
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm sure I've had several but having an ECG at age 33 and sky high BP was sobering. After I started shedding the pounds people treated me differently, which was shocking as I'd only lost about 15-20 lbs at that point. Most importantly, after starting an exercise program and losing just a few lbs I felt so much better.

I think, when I feel good, that's when the light bulbs go off, "I feel so alive right now. Remember this."

hotnewspirits
02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Something about being in the 170's REALLY was like "OKAY SOMETHINGS GOTTA CHANGE"

None of my clothes were fitting, I was squeezing myself into stuff I had bought only months before that fit, and I guessed my weight around 160. So going home for Christmas when I was in university I weighed myself on our bathroom scale and was horrified to see a decade of numbers I hadn't seen before and also so shocked that I was nearly 15 pounds heavier than I thought I was.

saef
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I ate too much one night at my company's annual offsite meeting. I woke up in the middle of the night in a hotel room in Las Vegas with night sweats, chills and a nauseated feeling. I'd been diagnosed as very near diabetes a few weeks before & suddenly I imagined I would be going into diabetic coma. That also caused me to have what I now think was a panic attack. My heart felt like it would pound right out of my chest. I imagined getting very sick, in a place where I knew no one, and having to be hospitalized. And this would all be because of my weight & my eating habits. I finally fell asleep near dawn. By then, I had been scared into making some resolutions.

For some reason, I also remember one particular morning. I was driving through Old Greenwich on the way to work. I stopped in front of a school while the crossing guard let the kids go by. Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" came on the radio. I had liked the song well enough in a hum-along kind of way, but found myself really listening to the lyrics, which are quite inspirational. I found myself crying over the steering wheel. (Had my sunglasses on, which helped.) In retrospect, I also think of that as a moment when I dedicated myself to making a change.

Moonlight Mistress
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Mine was when I saw pictures of myself at my friends wedding. I couldn't believe how huge I looked. I cried for a while and then decided that day to change....25 lbs gone since then.

fatmad
02-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I had sugar in my urine at my physical last summer. I had also lost a bit of weight while walking on vacation in Scotland, and wanted to keep it up.
Then near Hallowe'en, I wanted to get thru the season without more binges. I gave up the candy, and joined 3FC.
I have known for a while I was overweight, it took a lot for me to accept I had gotten to obese, and no end in sight. I could imagine getting bigger and bigger, and wanted to be able to imagine myself slimmer instead.
I still wasn't truly ready when I joined 3FC, but being here regularly gave me the strength to get moving and get losing.
So no real lightbulb moment, but more of a dawning for me.

Buttercup
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Mine came for me when I realized that I was sick of feeling sick. I REALLY looked in a full length mirror naked and looked at myself. It was my true OMG moment. I have been upset about it for years but was also in denial about how bad it was. The time is NOW for me. I will be 50 soon and want to start that phase of my life healthy. There are so many things I want to see and do. I want a good life and to be there for my family. Before I would avoid mirrors in the stores now I look so I will be reminded to keep my eyes on the prize. Plus my 25th wedding anniversary is in November and I would really love to be fit and gorgeous in a little Victorias Secret number for my sweetheart!:o

onestar
02-27-2009, 12:35 AM
a few...

1. i have an 18 month old daughter and i don't want her to develop my bad habits and go through what i have gone through with my weight

2. had no insurance so i coudn't get my anti-depressants, and i knew exercize had the same effect so......

3. i was getting so tired and lethargic that i didn't want to get up and be a mother to my dd. it was because of all the fast food, sweets, and lack of exercize

4. tired of guys not noticing me

in that order :)

ICUwishing
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
It was a series of things -
a) the size 12 jeans that I swore I'd never have to buy were wearing out because they were the ONLY pair of jeans I could zip - and I'd worn them for three years.
b) I weighed in 2 pounds heavier than I was 2 days before my son was born (that was a major holy-crap momemt)
c) not wanting to sit down to put on socks any more
d) realizing that I was making constant bad decisions about 2nd helpings (and 3rds)
e) I looked like a huge fat slug in what was actually a very pretty dress at my brother-in-law's wedding, because it was too tight
f) I didn't want to be one of those weak, unsteady elderly women - especially since I have a grandma who's 85 who could kick my butt if she wanted to, and just might be the perfect role model. :)

On the morning of Feb 9, 2009, I woke up and decided that the ONLY person in the whole world who could fix this is ... ME.

paperSkin
03-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Weight loss had been looming in the back of my mind for the last couple of months.. I had convinced myself that the weight was because I was nursing, and my boobs were so big because of that.. and that I was gaining weight because I didn't have time for myself and that I was drinking all this juice for the nursing. And so I thought, once I stop nursing, the weight will automatically go down. But, it didn't..

In addition to the weight, my skin condition (psoriasis) had gotten out of control.. my skin was a disaster.. and so I was a perfect candidate for using a drug which would help, and in the past had made me lose a lot of weight. And, I was so excited to take this medication, with all of its side effects just because it would make me skinnier.. and I started thinking how stupid that was to think like that. I started using my topical medications, and I got better enough that I decided that I wouldn't take the meds. By accident I fell onto this site, was totally inspired by the goal threads and decided that day that I was on a diet. I went out that afternoon for a walk to the grocery store, got the healthy food - brown rice, fat free yogurt, vegetables, chickpeas, etc.. and I've been on this diet for the last 2 and a half weeks. I'm just scared that I'm losing a little bit of my momentum.

navygirl79
03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I have had many lightbulb moments. The last light bulb moment was when I realized that the only time I left the house, it was to go find some fast food. After I realized that, it also dawned on me that I only wore my sweat pants because nothing in my closet fit me anymore and I didn't want to go through the emotional pain of buying clothes in a much larger size. THAT was what really made me get on the wagon again.

rachinma
03-02-2009, 11:27 PM
One day, I woke up and decided I was going to allow myself to be selfish and worry about me for a while. I needed some time to care for myself. Not my husband and not my kids. (Well, I don't *neglect* them, of course...)

So, my husband and kids are simply sucking it up for a while. I work all day and get home 3 nights a week at 8pm from the gym. Then I go on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It is difficult, but they are supporting me. It's really great that they realize how important it is for me to feel better about myself and my body.

I deserve it!

healthierme78
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I've also been asked indirectly about being pregnant more than once "Do you have any special news for us?" Argh! I was barely squeezing into an Old Navy stretch size 18 and then my friends and family were posting photos with me in them on Facebook! Yikes! Besides just wanting to be healthy, I have to admit I was embarassed for all my old hs friends to see my photos on there how I look now.

I was finally sick of my weight stopping me from enjoying special occassions or activities b/c I couldn't find clothes or because I was too out of shape.

I wanted self-confidence, health, and to help myself deal with the stresses from work and the economy. If I want to have a family one day soon, I should be a good example, and that is my main motivation - to be healthy (emotionally and physically) so that I can pass those healthy attitudes on to my future children so they don't have the same struggles.

I'll be healthy one day this year - I'm getting one step closer each day I make a smart decision regarding food and exercise. :carrot:

zoochick777
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I used to be a cheerleader in high school and had a very high endurance level, I wasn't thin but I was in shape. At the start of this school semester I realized that I was out of breath after walking across campus to class (and its a fairly small campus taking only about 5 minutes to walk to class). This is when I started to notice all the other little things that come with being out of shape and overweight and I decided it was time I actually carried out what I had been saying I wanted to do.

ladyrider72472
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Besides the normal aches and pains (especially in the back and knees), when my son bet me I could not do it. He bet me back in October that I could not lose 65 pounds by May when I am getting married. Then he went a step further and said I could not keep it off, because I never do. So, I took him up on it. I am 5 pounds away from winning, and I have a little over 8 weeks to do it in........ but around week 3 he hurt my feelings and said he knew I would never make it. I told him that I would--- and we argued that night.
He was in the car for me to take him to school the next day and he said if it takes me losing every month of my allowance to get you healthy so you don't die of a heart attack (like his father did a year previously at 39-- we were had not been married for years) then I will do it. My oldest son has stuck by his guns saying the youngest was foolish for betting me...... as I am a bit bull headed (they can't see this site so it is not really an admission, right?)

I knew at that point I had to do it-- not for the money--- not even for bragging rights. For my health AND for him to not worry about losing his only parent.

I owe that cocky teenager a lot. I am doing it...... and I am NOT going to gain it back this time! I am getting too old and it is too hard to do this yoyo thing...... and if he feels that strongly about me..... then who am I to take his mother away for a Big Mac, fries, and Coke?

Tammy :cry:

MissVitality
03-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Tammy, you are right - sounds like he gave you some tough love but for all the right reasons - I don't think there can be any stronger motivation than doing it for the sake of your health and to stick around for those who love you.

There are so many incidents cited here that kicked off weight loss journeys - it's so interesting to hear everyone's stories. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure like me, you are all glad your "lightbulb" moment came along as the catalyst for changing our lives for the better.

Good luck everyone and let's take ourselves back to those moments to renew our commitments to ourselves when the going gets tough.

xxx

flowingair
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
My moment was when my knees hurt me so much that I realized the weight was killing me. I like to do lots of outside activities and I struggled with them. My doctor also referred to me as obuse and I just wanted to cry.

Lana0
03-07-2009, 08:51 PM
My wake up call came when my co worker asked me to try out this new balance trainer machine we got at work (I work in a physical therapy office). I stepped on the balance board and in the lower right corner saw my weight, 160, It was never that high and I couldn't believe I let myself get to that point. My co worker didn't say anything about it but I was completely mortified. I started doing something to reverse the damage I caused. So far, I lost 4 pounds, I don't think I've ever been as committed in my life as I am now.

SW:160 - CW:156 - GW:130

Iheartsushi418
03-08-2009, 03:55 AM
A series of events. One, the elevator at work got stuck and I had a hard time walking DOWN three flights of stairs because it made my knee hurt. Two, a picture of my butt from Christmas...I'll really have to post that one one day, and most importantly, the look on my son's face asking me to go play with him and not having the energy.

whiskeygirl862
03-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Oh so many. I realized that I was eating in my dorm room because I was too lazy/ it was too hard to walk to the cafeteria (there are two flights of stairs on the walk back). I was wearing a size 18, when I swore I'd never be a 16. The fact that I could eat an entire box of macaroni and cheese without feeling full. Finally I got sick of looking in the mirror and joined WW!!!

Badgerette
03-08-2009, 11:13 PM
When I went over 300lbs,couldn't walk without getting out of breath, and my fat jeans wouldn't fit.

PleaseLuise
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
I received a note from my first love on one of those classmate sites. I was horrified by what he would have thought if he had run into me on the street vs. online.

I realized I was not the same person I was back then, my weight not only affected my looks, it affected how I felt about everything. I was living by my fat, not by my passions. Going to parties because of the food, missing trips to the beach or hiking because I couldn't wear the clothes for the occasion. Not going to High School reunions because of the shame of my size. Facing these things was the final straw and took me from wishing to be thin and taking action to be thin.

Thanks for the post. I hit a slump this week and went up four pounds. Remembering why I started this journey was the kick in the but I needed to get back to the business of living the life I want vs. eating the food I want.

lizziep
03-08-2009, 11:56 PM
I started thinking about why I put on the weight to begin with. How it started off as an attempt to be invisible, an attempt to get men to stop noticing me. I started thinking about all the things in my past and how I hold on to them and how I stuff down my feelings with food and then it hit me!
If I hold on to the weight- I'm holding on to every bad thing in my past. Every thing that made me want to gain weight- every person who hurt me, every feeling I stuffed down with food, every time i ate instead of cried.... If I remind myself when I'm working out that I am literally working off the bad things, sweating out my past, the things I've been holding to are literally pouring out of my pores – maybe I can keep going. Maybe I can be rid of what has been holding me, weighing me down.
This has been keeping me going. I hope it will continue. I feel like if I can purge this weight from my body I can purge the negative feelings I have from my mind as well.

beth1954
03-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I had several things that turned on my lightbulb within weeks. First I found out my cholesterol was 260. Then I found out that I need a total knee replacement. Third, my 57 year old brother and I had some words over e-mail, and he ended up calling me a "spoiled useless *****." He ended the e-mail with "Have a nice life you f***ing sow." I refuse to say that I lost weight because of him, and I didn't. I started right after the cholesterol scare.
I have gone from 305 to 264 and still going at it.

beth1954
03-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Sorry about the language. Just wanted everyone to know why I so extremely hurt. Dang near had a nervous breakdown over that.....it cut real deep.

MissVitality
03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I started thinking about why I put on the weight to begin with. How it started off as an attempt to be invisible, an attempt to get men to stop noticing me. I started thinking about all the things in my past and how I hold on to them and how I stuff down my feelings with food and then it hit me!
If I hold on to the weight- I'm holding on to every bad thing in my past. Every thing that made me want to gain weight- every person who hurt me, every feeling I stuffed down with food, every time i ate instead of cried.... If I remind myself when I'm working out that I am literally working off the bad things, sweating out my past, the things I've been holding to are literally pouring out of my pores maybe I can keep going. Maybe I can be rid of what has been holding me, weighing me down.
This has been keeping me going. I hope it will continue. I feel like if I can purge this weight from my body I can purge the negative feelings I have from my mind as well.

lizziep - this almost made me cry because I so identify. Once I realised I had to lose weight, I sat down and considered why i had gotten so heavy in the first place and the answer was emotional eating in response to behaviours that had hurt me, heartbreak and grief. I seemed to be gaining weight as a protective barrier - no one would close to me if I was heavy and therefore no one could hurt me that way again. I now know I was only hurting myself with that thinking.

I wrote down my commitment to myself to lose the excess pounds and get fit and healthy. Part of that commitment was promising myself I was no longer prepared to carry past hurts around on my body (and therefore allowing them to continue to hurt me.) It's pretty strong motivation.

squeak351
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
When my father in law was decribing a lady to my husband and I. He said" She's a real big girl, like Beth here, I mean a REAL BIG girl." I nearly fell out of the chair. Then I went home and ate everything in the house, finally when I was to the point of being sick from eating too much it hit me.... So I threw down the oreos and decided to commit right then. I don't want to be the "REAL BIG GIRL!" anymore!!!

kestrel
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Ugh, squeak, I've had something similar and it hurts.

NurseMichelle
03-09-2009, 03:26 PM
All those years ago, at 296, I decided that if I hit 300, what would stop that from becoming 310, 320, 330? My size 28s were getting tight and I didn't know what I would do after that. So I committed the day I found this site (I had checked the 3fc book out from the library and looked the site up online) I had gotten myself down to somewhere between 215-220 feeling great, working out, eating right. Then about two years ago, I broke an ankle and never exactly got back into the groove. I recently had a health scare and now that I'm feeling better from that, I'm ready to get back in it. (see my siggy!)

Now I'm back up to 265 and looking to have another "aha!" moment. And it took the thread like this to help me get there. Thanks you guys!

mysticshaz
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
well i have known for a little while i wasnt happy and needed to do something about it bt i coudnt get motivated!

i guess it finnaly hit home last month my hubby and i had gone to a tour of our favourite football team liverpools home ground it was a great day out and at the end we had some photos taken with some players, well i nearly cried when i saw it or have to show it to anyone ever. which is when i thoght omg this really isnt how i want to be anymore. that evening we alos went to my sister inlaws who had just got a wii fit i tried it out and decided to buy myself one!

three weeks in and 6 pounds lost i am almost at my first mini goal and although i cant really see much difference yet i certainly feel soo much better!

much love

mystic

nothing tastes as good as beng thin will feel

Vegaspunkermom
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
My lightbulb moment was being at my heaviest (209lbs) & feeling ugly in everything (full on clothes, naked, etc.) I had boots that no longer zipped on my calves, I was in a size 15/16 pants, and was MISERABLE. Id spent so long being pregnant, and taking care of my babies (04, 06, & 08) that I know it was TIME to take control of my body. Even though my husband was telling me I was beautiful, I no longer believed it, and that was a problem for me.

Even after only losing 30lbs. I feel more confidant, sexy, beautiful, HEALTHY, and ME!! :D

glitterducky
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
For me, being overweight is about wanting to be invisible. Wanting to hide from those who have treated me badly, from those who put me down. How does a person who weights 341 lbs hide from the world when they take up so much space? For me being fat was the ultimate way to hide. No one notices you when you're overweight and I liked it. But after months of soul seaching, and mentally healing, I could no longer let other people control my emotions. I joined a gym. 10 lbs down, still have a long way to go, but I'm emotionally in the game.

blessedfly
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
My lightbulb moment was when i went out with my grandchildren and couldn't keep up walking at all. I noticed i weighed 205 ibs and that's more than i have weighed in my whole life. I'm 53 years old i may add. I also take b/p meds and other important meds. Also my mirror says it all.

lizziep
03-13-2009, 04:01 AM
MissVitality - Thanks! I wasn't even sure if what I wrote made any sense to anybody but me. So far my epiphany has kept me going and I'm really glad. I hope it can see me through to the end.
I really can sometimes feel the negativity leaving me as I sweat it out and my body gets stronger.

Jo Kittibuck
03-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I suppose the first big step for me was two July's ago. I was 280, and gaining fast. I was convinced I was going to end up weighing 400 lbs like my birth mother did at one point. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, and convinced my parents to help me get a Lap Band surgery.

The surgery dropped me down to 250, then I slowly went back up again. Seems a surgery that makes you feel full sooner doesn't help that much when you're already ignoring your full instincts. But everytime I inched towards 280, I panicked and started dieting. Sometimes I dropped back towards 250, sometimes I only made it to 270 before calling it quits.

This time, the first trigger wasn't weight at all, but money. I'm unemployed, and certainly can't afford to be eating junk food and at restaurants. I started writing down everything I ate and what it costs, and managed to tie myself down to a cheaper budget.

The second trigger was fitness. I found I was falling behind my social group, who had taken up athletic activities as a passtime. I just couldn't participate, because I'd be exhausted before we'd barely begun. That, coupled with nostalgia for the dancing I used to do in high school, convinced me that I wanted to get in shape.

So yeah, that's me.