Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default Should I go up or down?

I'm 25 years old (as of Saturday!), 5'6" and I'm stuck (for the last two weeks) at 160 pounds. I started at 185 and lost regularly and quickly while eating 1500 calories. (I eat 3 meals, 2 snacks, mostly whole foods, occasional restaurant choices. I track absolutely everything that I eat.) I don't do calorie cycling on purpose really, but my daily counts for the last month average to exactly 1500. I'm full and satisfied with my 1500.

I go on at least a 15 minute walk every day after work with my pup. I also do two or three days a week of more intense exercise - either an hour of soccer with the boys or 2 mile runs with the pup. I work a very sedentary job - sit at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I hit a weight loss halt 2 weeks ago - I'm actually kind of amazed, Wii Fit keeps telling my I have a 0.0 loss, how is that even possible!

So I've read a lot on 3FC and sometimes we tell people to go up on calories when they hit a plateau and sometimes we tell people to go down on calories. How do you decide which one? Any suggestions as to what I should try?
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Is it possible to up the exercise (intensity and/or frequency)? It's not always easy to decrease calories if you are already at the bottom range of where you should be (I don't know if 1500 is the floor for you).

If changing exercise is not an option, I always start by reducing a little (~50 day). I know there seems to be a lot of posts here talking about increasing calories, but personally or me, even at my best, my calorie counts get less accurate over time (usually undercounting). Usually trying to reduce it by little recalibrates my calorie counting and I start losing again.

Last edited by KDuffer; 02-23-2009 at 12:19 PM.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i was going to suggest adding another 10 minutes to your walk too. i mean, it might not seem a lot but 25 minutes a day may be enough to kick start. if it doesn't try adding a bit more.

and if you're still stuck, perhaps change your calories.

i did a check online for your bmr - http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html - and it came out at 1487 so your calories are prob a bit too high. drop down to say 1400 a day?

others may say otherwise. i'm not an expert

Last edited by anastasia; 02-23-2009 at 12:25 PM.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #4  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I appreciate the advice ladies! I will go for 1400 a day for a week or two and see what happens, and try to lengthen the walks. I know the puppy will like that part. Thanks!
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

I would try just upping your exercise and keeping your calories at 1500. That might work for you, give it a few weeks and if it dosent then drop to 1400. But I dont know if I would do them at the same time??? JMO!!

Good luck!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote