Weight Loss Support - The best diet for you, what works?

Me Too
02-22-2009, 05:36 PM
With so many diets on the market today and all the times we have tired this or that diet only to fail time and time again, what made you decide to pick the diet you are on now?
All of the diets are starting to run together, Either eat only from this food list, count every bite you eat, or get food delivered to your door.
How does one decide which diet is best? is it Lifestyle, likes and dislikes, family members, money? What?
I am getting stressed as to what is the best way for me to develop a whole new healthy lifestyle, and do it one day at a time, with plenty of water and exercise.

Seems my sensible eating thinker is broken.:o

tvalle
02-22-2009, 05:40 PM
What's been working very well for my is a raw vegan diet. I've lost tons of weight and feel great!

kelly315
02-22-2009, 05:43 PM
calorie counting is the easiest, cheapest, and most forgiving. It allows you to eat what you want when you want.

mizski
02-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I like veggies & beans/lentils a lot plus I need to watch my carbs/sugars so South Beach Diet works for me. It also allows me to eat a mostly whole foods diet too.

We all know that the way to healthy eating (and losing weight) is to stop eating junk food, fast food, processed food and the tons of sugar that is common to the modern diet. A simple way is to eat a meal that is 1/2 veggies, 1/4 whole grain/starchy veg & 1/4 protein. Add some fruit, LF dairy (or equivalent) & a little good fat like olive oil during the day and there you go! :)

Of course, if we all did this everyday this would be the Thin Chicks Board. :D

I would say to look for a diet plan that most closely resembles how you eat or how you would like to eat and use that to guide you. Trying to use a plan that has you eating or doing things that you absolutely hate will never work in the long run.

MandiK
02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
almost all diets have worked for me, but so far the only one I've actually been able to stick with long term are weight watchers and calorie counting (they are both very similar)

joyra
02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Calorie counting! It's very much like weight watchers in that you monitor your food and aim for a certain number each day. And it's free. And you can eat whatever you want, you just learn portion control, which I think is the ultimate lifelong lesson you can learn as a dieter. If you can master proper portion control, your weight loss will be infinitely easier.

Lori Bell
02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
I had to invent my own, though it's based on the principals of diets I have tried, and the concepts that were easy for me to "live with".

I count calories first. I have a limit, and (almost) always stay within that limit. Next, I lost a lot of weight at one point in my life using the old weight watchers exchange plan, (I'd probably go back if they still did that plan just for the group support). So I base my food into groups and make sure I get adequate servings from all of the food groups daily....BUT, I always felt the exchange program was protein/carb lopsided. So I kind of switch it around to be a little more like south beach, where I eat fewer carbs and try (almost) always to stay away from anything refined. (Sugar/flour/corn sugars/white rice). I eat more protein than carbs...Oh, and volumetrics...I think I invented that long ago...:) I eat unlimited "free" WW veggies, and a lot of them!!...etc.

The results have been amazing, and I had been (almost) free of craving until Christmas when I allowed myself forbidden foods. It's been a challenge since then, but I'm getting and staying back on track. Sugar is evil I'll tell you! E.V.I.L. :) (For me and IMHO)

ArwenTaylor
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Sugar is evil I'll tell you! E.V.I.L. :) (For me and IMHO)

I wholeheartedly agree but it tastes sooooooo good! (lol)

The best diet I was ever on was when I stopped eating everything with refined white sugar and white flour. I did it for six weeks and lost fifteen pounds which I regained when I went back to my old eating habits. After the two weeks of withdrawals, I felt so good and healthy but then chocolate called me back to the dark side. :D

About two years ago I repeated the diet with the restriction of only whole natural organic foods (nothing processed) and I felt so wonderful. I'm working on moving back to that lifestyle because really that's what it was.

jademarlene
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Another calorie counting believer here. It is so nice not to restrict anything from my diet.

ChefsGirl
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I've tried them all but am currently doing WW & incorporating what I learned on LAWL in regards to whole, natural foods. I count my WW points & every day, but really try hard to meet all the "good health" exchanges (dairy, fruit/veggies, lean meats, whole grains) every day. I allow myself plenty of treats, but only after I've met all the exchanges for the day. I've also incorporated an "off-plan" day into my program. I allow myself one day off-plan (to be taken that day or someday in the future) if I meet my 2 lb loss for the week. Really helps me stay sane to know that I get a break now & then. Also allows for the flexibility of dining out & traveling. But I don't get that off day unless I meet my weight loss goals so I really have to work for it!

akacutie
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I have been on every diet under the sun, but there is one thing I come back to time and time again... Weight Watchers.

I like the 2 fold approach- monitoring/portion control and the built in support/reward system. I find the meeting very motivating and like going to weight loss class each week. The reasons I have failed on WW in the past were that I got cocking after 6 months and thought I could do it on my own... I really need that support to be successful. I have support at home in the form of my DBF but it is not enough for me. :D

Whatever you decide stick with it! :carrot:

oh, btw I find these boards very supportive and motivating as well. Happy boarding. :P

murphmitch
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Used to do Weight Watchers, now do South Beach. No added sugars or white flour. Eat tons of veggies, more lean protein, beans and low fat dairy and I'm more discriminating about the grains I eat. I love not having to count calories/points or weigh & measure. I eat whole, unprocessed foods and I feel great. I can easily maintain my weight loss and don't have cravings or constant thoughts about food. :cp:

Me Too
02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Wow, thank you all for your replies, I never thought of combining different diet plans to come up with something I could stick with. What a concept.
Lori, I too like the exchange plans, then I know I am getting enough fruits and veggies daily.
I have been looking into YOAD and also RS old foodmover, since I can't seem to keep a journal for very long. Never tired counting calories, isn't it too time consuming? There isn't a WW with 60 miles of me, so I plan on using this forum for my support, I think its great here.
DH is having heart surgery tomorrow, sure picked a great time to start a diet, I plan on taking YOAD with me for the endless hours of waiting.

TJFitnessDiva
02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
The one that works best for me is Weight Watchers....with calorie counting I tend to obsess a little and for some reason with WW I don't do it lol

I also like the extra accountability meetings bring.

PleaseLuise
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I hate the food police, even if they are in my own head, so I have lost 70lbs one bite at a time. I try to choose foods that help me succeed and avoid foods that do not. Sounds silly, but it has worked so far.

Limiting variety has also helped, I think less about food knowing what I am going to eat most days. Yougurt, granola for breakfast, salad or soup for lunch, fruit for at least one snack, sensible dinners. But I always remind myself I can eat whatever I want, aware that its either a step forward or step back. When I do step backward, I accept my choice, and move on.

Whatever you choose, do know it's about more than food. The best piece of advise I give you is what I tell myself every day. Feel your feelings, don't eat them.

Good luck

kaplods
02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I also custom designed my weight loss plan, and it took me more than 3 decades to put it all together.

I remember on this site or another weight loss site a member saying that they could stick with the South Beach diet if it allowed sweet corn, and so they decided (after much debate) to modify South Beach for themselves to include fresh sweet corn. A very small modification to the plan, and unless you're eating five or six ears of sweet corn every day, unlikely to make a huge difference in the long run.

So when and how do you decide to modify? Logical trial and error - learning to be scientist and lab rat.

I don't think you have to diet hop until you find the plan that works. I think that was part of my problem throughout my life, was trying new plans instead of paying attention to what components made the plan easier or harder for me.

I've always known that there's a hormonal component to my diet, but whenever I asked about bc that allowed me to skip periods (like Seasonique), my doctors always talked me out of trying it. When a female doctor encouraged me to try it, I found a great improvement (I haven't had a severe eatathon binge since).

Then I found that carbs, especially refined carbs trigger crazy hunger, but a very low carb diet tends to make me sick (especially on the blood sugar medication I'm on). So I slightly modified a calorie controlled low carb exchange plan I found on the Hillbilly Houswife website (my modification is that I add a few flexible/optional exchanges so that I have a range of calories - 1500 - 2000 - rather than a consistent one.

What I choose to eat was very much influenced by the South Beach diet, Weight Watcher's Core plan, Volumetrics, and low GI diets - but I have the flexibility to choose any food (though if it's something high in sugar, I'm going to be starving and find it difficult to stay on plan - but it is still an option to eat anything and fit it into the plan - exchange plans are very much like calorie counting, in that regard).

My experimentation may look very different than yours, but persistance is a lot more important than perfection. One thing to remember is that you don't have to start or stay with any plan. You can tweak and go back and forth between plans as many times as you need to, in order to find what works best. Usually as long as you're trying, you do make some practice. I think what derails most people is feeling that when a diet plan isn't working that they have to "give up" for a while before going on to a different plan. It's like a little vacation before the next experiment - it's those vacations that undo the progress (even if imperfect).

joyra
02-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Me Too, calorie counting will maybe start off being a bit time-consuming but it gets easier. I recommend thedailyplate.com or FitDay but I think generally people like TDP better. Just type in everything you ate that day and it will show you how many calories.

After awhile, you kind of memorize how many calories are in everything. Almost all of my basic foods I eat at home, I know how many calories are in them from memory.

If you do calorie counting, many of us would recommend looking up restaurant menus BEFORE you go out to eat. Many dishes, especially salads, are deceptively high in calories.

There is WW online but I don't see how it's much different than tracking on the daily plate... you're still putting in foods you ate and one gives you points and the other gives you calories.

efova
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
For me counting calories really works. Of course, when you only have so many calories to use you have to make them count. I could blow 2/3 of my daily calories on a bowl of pasta or a big greasy cheeseburger and fries and spend the rest of the day hungry and munching on rabbit food - and sometimes I do. Most days, though, I stick with whole grains, yogurt, lean protein, and veggies. I counted calories meticulously when I first started, but now I have an arsenal of dinner recipes that are delicious, healthy, and have between 400 and 600 calories a meal, a fridge full of yogurt and veggies, and snacks like protein bars in my car and office. I can ballpark my total calorie intake within about 100 calories and that's good enough for my purposes. Also, I never eat anything I truly don't like. Thankfully I have always loved green vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, and green beans.

newleaf123
02-22-2009, 10:01 PM
For me, it's simple: healthy food choices, portion control, and exercise, and that's it. I don't follow any diets. Luckily, I love raw vegetables, so I eat a lot of salad...

cfmama
02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
calorie counting is the easiest, cheapest, and most forgiving. It allows you to eat what you want when you want.

Yep! I agree :) ( oh and I LOVE your new avatar Kelly!!!)

Leeesa
02-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Weight Watchers, the weekly weigh-ins keep me accountable, plus it's flexible and not hugely restrictive.

ProteinGal
02-23-2009, 01:01 AM
I was doing Core but WW changed programs again. Now I follow my own plan, eating whole/ all-natural, organic foods as possible and following the guidelines of SuperFoodsRx.

JustFluffy
02-23-2009, 01:13 AM
I've tried my own version of a high-protein diet after reading Mary Shomon's 'Living Well With Hypo-Thyroidism." I never tried one before, but I have to admit it's helped with my hunger and energy (not to mention that weighing less and exercise help with energy too).

I'd like to try WW for the accountability.

May try a program like The Zone or South Beach soon. I'm calorie counting now with FitDay and trying to follow 30-30-40. Would prefer to have a set menu.

Heather
02-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Ultimately, the best diet is the one you can stick to long term, through weight loss and into maintenance.

I also think it helps to be able to allow yourself to modify it if you need to as other things in your life change.

rockinrobin
02-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I've cut,pasted and copied this a kijillion times. Sorry to those who have seen it -a kijillion tims, but here goes:

Hmmm. Well let's see. I knew the only way this weight loss thing would *work*, permanently that is, would be if I could find something that I could stick with LONGTERM, forever in fact, because not only do I want to lose the weight, but I want to keep it off - forever. It simply won't *work* if you dont' stick with it. Consistiency, consistiency, consistiency. STICKING with it is of course the key. Lifestyle change. Creating a new normal. No going back to the old ways. Permanent, sustainable lifetime changes.

So of course finding something that I could stick with was essential.

Things I needed/still need to be on my plan:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Just not for me. I despise that feeling and need to AVOID it all costs. It would only set me up for failure.
- I need LOTS of food, volume that is.
- I love food, always will and need to get enjoyment from it. So eating delicious, very tasty, satisfying foods was a MUST.
- I am terrible with portion control. I have no boundaries. My intuitive eating button is totally broken or just missing completely. So I need to fake it. I need something that forces me to set limits.
- I want not only to be thin at this point, I want to be healthy. Strong bones & muscles, good vision, healthy hair and nails, low cholesterol, normal sugar levels, high vitamin count, lower my risk of cancers.

So therefore, let's see if I can do this with one breath - I eat frequently, every 2 hours or so, choosing low calorie/high volume items (veggies), lots of protein and fiber (to keep me full longer), I count calories (forced portion control/accountability), I eat foods with high nutritional values, I've found foods that I LOVE, not *diet* foods per se, food that any one and every one can eat.

I also set myself up for success. By ridding my home of the junk (very crucial in the beginning, and still is). I got rid of the sugar, the rice, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... Sure I love the stuff, but I have no control with it. I figured I can not have it both ways. I simply can not have those foods in my life (very strict with it especially in the beginning, cold turkey in fact) and be that healthy, fit person I so longed to be. I have no control over them and realized I was just better off without them.

I keep my home fully stocked with tons and tons of veggies. I discovered fabulous ways to prepare them and now enjoy them more then the other garbage I was eating prior. Amazing how ones tastes change when you stop feeding it junk. Fruits and low fat proteins are my other main foods. I cook fabulous meals that my whole family enjoys. So finding yummy recipes that you like is essential. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good.

I also prepare ahead, as it is the ONLY way to succeed, IMO. Eating healthy does not happen by chance in our society. Therefore it MUST, MUST be planned out in advance. I know what I'm having for my meals and snacks days in advance. I pack food with me, taking it with me wherever I go, leaving nothing to chance. It's just THAT important.

I drink lots of water. It's something to do with my mouth, a delaying tactic and it keeps my tummy full.

And of course, there is the calorie counting. Would be no where without it. No where. Fitday.com can get you started on that. Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer. Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check. Period.

Exercise has now become part of my life and is a big part of "my plan". I started out slowly and built up. Cardio & strength training. I make sure there is some kind of daily movement going on, 7 days a week.

Probably the biggest part of my plan though, was making a commitment. Deciding once and for all that I was going to "do this". I told myself enough is enough. I realized, once and for all that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was something that I did indeed have total and complete control over. No reason on earth for me to waste another second of my life being miserable, worrying about my health and not living up to my full potential. Not being the very best ME that I could be. So I made a commitment to good eating and good health.

And that, in a nutshell (albiet, a VERY large one) is *my plan*.

With some *shopping around*, experimenting, tweaking and adjusting you too can and will find what "works for you". Good luck to you. And please, don't hesitate to ask questions. This is a terrific site, filled with loads of successful, smart people very willing to help.

MonteCristo
02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Low carb "works" for me, but I can't stick to it long term. I perfer calorie counting (with the help of The Daily Plate) and regular exercise.

CandaceG
02-23-2009, 07:57 PM
It looks like calorie counting wins. I eat a high fiber diet rich in vegetables, whole grains and fruit. And I agree that sugar is evil, but tastes very good, and is a hard one to ditch.
Candace

janann
02-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I have been trying to eat off the pyramid with portion controls, measuring everything, giving up diet soda and processed food.

SisuInWI
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
One more voice heard from. I am using Think and Lose self hypnosis CD's. It has totally changed my relationship with food, with me now in control instead of the food. Cravings are gone, no more bingeing, no more obsessing about food. Happy to be eating healthy and happy to be exercising. Good luck with what ever you decide will work for you.

Me Too
02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, calorie counting seems to be what most people do.
Rockinrobin, thank you very much for your post, I have read it over twice now. I really want to make ca commitment to ME and now is the time.
DH is out of the hospital and doing fine, no major heart problems, he is doing much better, so now maybe I can focus on me and my health.

rockinrobin
02-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Yes, calorie counting seems to be what most people do.
Rockinrobin, thank you very much for your post, I have read it over twice now. I really want to make ca commitment to ME and now is the time.
DH is out of the hospital and doing fine, no major heart problems, he is doing much better, so now maybe I can focus on me and my health.

Your very welcome.

Yes!!! Focus on you and YOUR health. It will benefit you and everyone and everything around you. There is no better time then right NOW. DO it!!! I promise, promise, promise you - you won't regret it. Take control. It is a wonderful, WONDERFUL feeling. Counting calories, tracking your food intake has not been restrictive at all - it's been freeing to me. It's brought semblance, order and a kind of peace to my life. I keep tabs on sooo many things in life, why in the world was I leaving my food intake up for grabs? As if it didn't matter? What could possibly matter MORE? Looking back (love hindsight ;)) it seems absolutely absurd that I was not tracking my food. Absurd.

All the best. :)

Rosinante
02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Calorie counting and religiously logging them electronically works best for me. As someone's already said, it teaches portion control, as well as banning nothing. I can't be doing with lists of things I can't have.

I combine calorie counting with not having processed stuff in the house, mostly. I'm lucky to live alone, so it's not like I have to keep stuff in for other family members.

I also combine with varying my diet - at the moment for Lent I'm eating non-dairy vegetarian Monday to Saturday and 'normally' on Sunday.

I think the Tracking is the absolute key for me.

Me Too
02-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Which way do you prefer to keep track of your calories per day, electronically online or written down?
I really don't want to be tied down to the computer more than I already am, even though there is a wealth of info online.
I am leaning towards the old fashion way and writing everything down looking in books. Also making a list of the most frequently meals I cook.
I have looked at dietminder at Amazon and it looks quite detailed. This way I can take it with me where ever I go and have it on hand to look at when needed. It might take longer, but then I will be to busy to eat.
I really love all the advice I have received here, thank you all so much.

munchievictim
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I log electronically because sites like The Daily Plate have info on nutritional values for things that don't necessarily have a label. It's also good for tracking how many glasses of water you drink, what percentage of your calories come from where (this is very useful for me because when i first started logging calories, my fat intake was over 50% of what I ate!!! Now its down to a nice 12-20%), info for eating out, and it helps you subtract the calories you burn during excersize from the calories you eat.
However, I also keep a notebook where I write down recipes, snack ideas, inspirational quotes, meal plans for each day (though I don't stick religiously to the plan I lay out the night before, it's more of a guideline with options, depending on what I'm craving when the time comes around. I had planned a tomato sandwich and low-cal soup for lunch, instead I had a sandwich with a bunch of lean turkey and ham and some veggies--same amount of calories pretty much, and I was craving the sandwich. This is what we mean by flexibility with calorie counting.) I just don't count my calories there because its not as convenient or helpful as an interactive website. Also, I'm not really tied to my computer even with online tracking because you can enter your food at any time; in the morning, you can enter what you plan to eat if you're strictly sticking to a plan, or you can enter all the calories you ate that day at night before you go to bed. If you have trouble remembering, you can just write a list of the things you ate and get the calorie information later. This is good if you're wanting to see what kind of overview you're getting of food each day, and maybe you could start out this way and then move to tracking through out the day to keep a handle on things as the day progresses.
Calorie counting is really a blessing. It's easy and its flexible, and with tools like The Daily Plate it can become practically second nature. Just take this journey one bite at a time and you'll be a-okay.

kaplods
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I love hearing about everyone's plans, because it gives me so many ideas for tweaking my own. I know we talk alot about finding the plan that's right for each of us, but sometimes I think we take that to mean we're searching for the one, true plan that's best for us - our dieting "soulmate," so to speak. In seeking and choosing a husband, I did want Mr. Right forever, but in a diet "Mr. Right Now," is ok. I think that while I'm monogomous in love, I'm promiscuous in dieting. The diet that's right for me today, might not be the best for me next week. If there comes a time when my plan is no longer working for me, or I find a plan I think I will like better, I will try to recognize it quickly and move on to the next without fear or guilt.

aneleh
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm doing weight watchers at home with my old books, and writing everything down. I like counting points better than calories just because they're usually whole numbers and I have pretty much everything memorized now.
The biggest change I've made recently is cutting out all sugar/artificial sugars and white carbs, and it has made a HUGE difference. Although that is really restrictive, I find I'm out of control nowadays even if I have a small serving of something sweet, etc. And now I'm down to my lowest weight ever, woohoo!

rockinrobin
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Which way do you prefer to keep track of your calories per day, electronically online or written down?

When I first started, I used a pad and pen to keep track. I kept it right there in my kitchen. I used the computer though to look up calorie counts. At one point I switched to logging everything in Fitday.com. At this point, especially during the week, I know EXACTLY what I'm eating and I know the EXACT amount of calories, so I just log it in my head. I know how many calories my several different breakfasts has, my several different lunches, my numerous dinners and the various snacks. It took me some time to get this point. It's really quite simple when you get the hang of it. And you WILL get the hang of it.

The biggest change I've made recently is cutting out all sugar/artificial sugars and white carbs, and it has made a HUGE difference. Although that is really restrictive, I find I'm out of control nowadays even if I have a small serving of something sweet, etc. And now I'm down to my lowest weight ever, woohoo!

Yes, this was the case with me as well, although I do use Splenda. It wasn't only the calorie counting. It was what I was eating - and just as importanly - what I wasn't eating.

ChefsGirl
02-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Counting calories, tracking your food intake has not been restrictive at all - it's been freeing to me. It's brought semblance, order and a kind of peace to my life. I keep tabs on sooo many things in life, why in the world was I leaving my food intake up for grabs? As if it didn't matter? What could possibly matter MORE? Looking back (love hindsight ;)) it seems absolutely absurd that I was not tracking my food. Absurd.

Amen sister! It's crazy isn't it? I track my bank account to the penny every day I balance it, every day I check to make sure things are in line. I keep chore lists for us to make sure our home stays maintained........all these things I spend so much time thinking about and organizing but I'd just shove whatever into my mouth for years! It does seem crazy to think about it. I'm 11 weeks into my program & I love how much control I feel like I have over my life right now. I actually like tracking too! Crazy that I wasted my 20's being so overweight.......

I track everything in my 3 month journal. I like that I can just slip it into my pocket & everything I need to stay on track is there. Although, I thought I left it at home when I was leaving to go out of town yesterday & I almost had a panick attack!

corazonas
02-28-2009, 09:08 PM
hey MeToo i just wanted to throw it out there- i am a calorie counter too and this is the book i use

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&ISBN=9781887169561&ourl=The%2DUltimate%2DPocket%2DDiet%2DJournal%2FAl ex%2DLluch

i used to just use little blank notebooks of my own but would obsess and get a little ocd about making little graphs and charts and whatnot. this has all the spaces for everything you eat/drink laid out. plus space for exercise, water intake, even free journaling. i <3 it. a LOT. it has space for 3 mos and i have less than 1month left blank so i need to buy another!!

Lizzyg
02-28-2009, 09:29 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I've also done WW in the past, and I liked it too. But I now prefer counting calories.

DishyFishy
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
My diet consists almost exclusively of organic, unprocessed foods—the occasional SF jelly or daVinci's SF syrup being the exceptions. I don't eat sugar or refined foods, and I don't eat starchy veggies or anything derived from corn.

In other words: Fish, meat, berries, eggs, nuts, seeds, veggies, poultry, cheese, good fats.

In other other words: Atkins 1992. :D

twilight
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm counting calories, its the only thing that has worked for me in the past. I find that I eat healthy without too much obsessing, since I try to get the most 'bang for my buck' to stay in my range. I found it to be easier than counting WW points since calories are listing on everything -- no further calculating is needed. I write everything down (I do round off), including the calories I burn thru exercise.

zoochick777
03-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I also do calorie counting. I find that it is the easiest thing to stick to since I am still allowed to eat the foods I want, as long as I eat them in moderation and in proper portions.

noelf
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I was doing Core but WW changed programs again. Now I follow my own plan, eating whole/ all-natural, organic foods as possible and following the guidelines of SuperFoodsRx.

That's what I'm doing mostly. Eating whole foods and following guidelines of SuperFoodsRx.... I'm also carb and calorie counting.

Botzz
10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I think that we have to try things until something feels right, for me that thing has been counting calories which is really just sensible eating that we put a number on to keep us in line.

I eat a lot of whole foods and I count my calories, I eat no more than 1700 per day and have been doing that for about 18 months now and am down more than 200 pounds to date.

Drink a lot, I drink between 1.25 and 2 gallons of fluid per day, 1 gallon of green tea and the rest is H2O, I also make sure to get in as much sleep as I need which is between 7-8 hours per night, when I miss sleep I lose less weight.

I exercise daily at least 20 minutes but going up to an hour so it ranges.

so my vote goes for Calorie counting with exercise and lots of fluids and sleep ;)

As Ever
Me

Randy
05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
i had a problem with snacking too much during the day and simply just eating too much. i couldn't get myself to cut down - it was just too hard for me. i bought this product called israelidiet and it helped. basically, i took one dose of the powder with water and then was able to eat and snack less throughout the day. i used it for 4 months and lost 90 lbs! my doctor says i should lose another 60 lbs, and i seriously haven't felt this good in years, and i am sure all of you can relate to my feeling.

luciddepths
05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
i tried LAWL but i craved WAY to much, so i've been calorie counting and upping my protein and eatting more whole non processed foods... exercising anywhere from 4-6 times a week :)

aware210
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm trying right now to eat just really clean. I guess that means, lower processed foods. Lean protein, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains (im trying for higher protein lower carb, so not a whole lot of carbs) and fats that occur naturally in foods, like salmon and avocado and then the occasional, olive or canola oils.

PeanutsMom704
05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
yet another calorie counter here! I try eat fairly "clean" with a focus on lean protein, lots of veggies, small amount of fruit, healthy fats, low fat dairy and small amounts of whole grains and starchy carbs. I found that for me, I didn't feel great (tired, headaches, low energy, etc) if I try to go too far low carb, but small portions (such as 1 oz dry of whole wheat pasta) makes the difference for me in terms of feeling full and energetic and happy about the food I'm eating.

I aim for about 30% calories from protein although to be honest, it's about 25% most of the time.

I am a repeat-eater, meaning I have the same foods all the time - the exact same breakfast and lunch pretty much every day, and supper has a little more variety but still usually one of the same 6 or 8 things. For me, it helps with planning because I have a group of staples I know I need to buy and prep and I find it much easier to keep on track when I can spend less time thinking about food and always have one of my healthy choices readily available.

Beverlyjoy
05-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I am a calorie counter - concentrating on well balanced, healthy choices. I have had the most long term sanity with food counting calories. It's important to plan, plan, plan.

For me, it also has to do with my relationship with food and the living habits I have around eating. So, I use the Beck Diet Solution book as a compliment to calorie counting. This book is a cognitive method of learning to live with food in a healthy manner - ie - slow eating, no seconds, tasting food, planning, logging food, and much more.

My whole life I have thought about food all day long - but, when it came time to eat it, I would eat so fast that I didn't really enjoy or sometimes even taste it. Thats were Dr. Beck's book has been helpful.

steftenacious
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum. I want to share my experience on my weight loss. I used to do south beach diet. It had a great success on me on the first 2 months and I started to gain weight again. So I was trying to find many programs that worked for me. Interestingly enough I found a program that work for me. This is my website: getridofbellyfats.com

Note: I also do daily exercise. Such as jogging and weight resistance training to stay in shape.

Autumn Gold
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Atkins worked really well for me and I lost almost 4 stone in a year and I only stuck to it 70% of the time. Unfortunately it didn't work long-term and I slipped back! Ooops! :o

I still try and incorporate as much protein and good “fats” as I can into my diet. I lose more on protein, which is a pain because I absolutely love carbs (could eat pasta forever!) What has worked for me best has been calorie counting (lost 2 ˝ stone on that,) and now I’m using Slimming World (which is similar to WW) and have lost about 9lb on that.

The BEST “diet” IMO is one which easily adaptable and one which you can stick to long-term. :)