Weight Loss Support - anyone feel fat when they're thin?

teawithsunshine
02-22-2009, 06:10 AM
I was thinking earlier this evening--

There are days when I feel fat and flabby and then there are days when I feel thinner and toned.

Anyone still feel fat when they reach their target goal weight (i.e. emotionally, psychologically, excess skin)? Or do they finally feel thin?

~ tea

cdawnfine
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I was thinking earlier this evening--

There are days when I feel fat and flabby and then there are days when I feel thinner and toned.

Anyone still feel fat when they reach their target goal weight (i.e. emotionally, psychologically, excess skin)? Or do they finally feel thin?

~ tea

I think when you look at something for so long (your body) that sometimes it is hard to see it for what it truly is. Everyone tells me how thin I am am and I know how much weight I have lost yet the only time it really sinks in is when I take my jeans out of the dryer,, everytime I find myself saying are those really mine they are so small. :carrot: You know the saying beer goggles well I think I have heavy goggles. :dizzy: When I see myself in the mirror I say Yeah I look ok, but I don't think I see myself the way others see me. It's a process I know in time I will see myself the way others see me. I can't expect to see a picture in a new light after looking at it for a lifetime.

iriswhispers
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Definitely. I have days when I feel about 3 sizes too big for my clothes and other days when I feel trim and confident. In reality, it can't be more than a 5-lb fluctuation (and probably not even that), and I'm definitely the same size. I figure I'm just a little mental. =)

LandonsBaby
02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
I have felt fat every single day whether I weighed 85lbs or 160lbs.

kelly315
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Most days, I feel fatter today than I did when I was 70 pounds heavier.

Fressca
02-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, I *do* feel fat right now, but I've still got a ways to go until goal.

However, for many years I weighed 140, a good weight for my height, and I felt fat then too. :(

If I ever get back there, I swear I will be grateful, thankful and giddy with happiness.

ETA: I will add that I feel thinner at 165 on my way DOWN from my HW, than I did on the way UP there.

tvalle
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I totally do this!! I think it's a body image issue.

iriswhispers
02-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Fresca - agreed. my weight has fluctuated quite a bit and when i was around 140 on my way DOWN it felt so good and thin. Now that I'm back up from 125 I feel huge. Sometimes now when I go up a few lbs I feel fatter than I did at my HW - which is just silly! Crazy the mental games we play with ourselves...

Mickeypnd
02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I get my issues, I think every woman does. SOme days I'll feel great about myself, others I'll feel like this huge cow.

RangerChic
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh yes, definitely. It's an image issue. I've been overweight most of my life, so the perception of myself is that I'm fat no matter what. Trying to work on that though.

rinku
02-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I keep struggling with my mental image..I have lost nearly 34 lbs but I still see myself as huge. The only time I find myself real thin is when I complete my 90 minutes workout session in the gym...I keep myself comparing with others in terms of their weight and how they look at their current weight.

Now other thing that affects this is the compliments or the surprised looks you get from the people, I lost nearly 34 lbs in four & half months and then I stalled, its been more than three months & I'm not losing anything. While I was losing I used to get regular compliments from my co-workers and family members about how thin I look and I used to feel really thin..sometimes more than I was actually :p ..then I have stopped getting it ..as my weight is same since last three months and now I feel fatter than 6 months back :)

grneyedmustang
02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Anyone have the opposite problem?

Since I've been on my latest weight loss venture, I've lost over 40 pounds. I think that I'm thinner than I am. I went on a cruise recently, and all the pictures I've taken reinforce the fact that I've got a long way to go.

corazonas
02-23-2009, 02:29 PM
i actually feel thin most days. i think we just have bad days sometimes where we feel bad about ourselves no matter what. but even on those days when i have a meal that just makes me feel STUFFED i can look at my tummy and it's a LOT better than it used to be. even poking it out as far as humanly possible it's not as big as it used to be. so i'm pretty comfy with the way i look now and never really feel HUGE.....

cakses
02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I feel better than I did starting out, by a longshot. But yes I still see the overhanging belly that is NOT all skin, and I see areas like my hips, thighs and buttocks that need toning badly. I don't feel fat though not like I did before.

Thighs Be Gone
02-23-2009, 03:01 PM
There are some days I feel thin and fit. Most days I do not.

frieden
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I haven't hit goal yet, but based on what's happened so far, it'll take awhile for me to adjust my mental image to my physical one. There's this height/weight chart online where people can post pictures of themselves, so you can get an idea of what different weights might look like on different heights. So, I found my height on the chart, and saw a woman who was the shape and size as me, but weighed 30 lbs more. I thought that was pretty weird. Later, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and was surprised to see I was picturing myself as larger than I really was.

Priscatip
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I never know how big or small I really am. All through high school at probably 125 pounds, i had no self confidence I thought I was enormous. In college, I had great self confidence and I thought i looked good and curvy and I think I actually did. After college, I had a dark year or two and I don't think I ever looked in the mirror because I knew I'd hate how I looked. And now, 20 pounds between my heaviest and my goal, I think I definitely look better than I did (and I fit into those good looking dresses again!) but I know I could improve. But this time around, I'm pretty happy with myself, no matter what the scale says, and I know I'm a strong woman and I can be thinner if I want to but I still look great.

cammieb
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, every day. It's especially hard because all of my cousins are super thin (90 - 105 pounds) and I'm the "fat" one. And then with the acting business, everyone around me is sooo thin, that I always feel like a fat blob. I'm hoping that when I hit goal, it'll get better.

WormwoodDoll
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I feel fatter a lot of the time. I think the thinnest I've felt was when I went to Torrid to buy some new shirts since mine are too big. I looked fantastic trying on the clothes there. Even the clothes I were wearing looked better and my body looked a lot smaller. But once I got home, I thought the clothes looked so bad.

flatiron
02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
My good friend's 17 year old daughter who is 6 feet tall and weigh's 115 pound and looks like a bean pole was complaining the other day how fat she is getting!

We all just looked at her like she was NUTS!

I think the feeling can happen to anyone and everyone in different degrees not just over weight people!

I feel fat when I am in my gym working out because there are so many young thin people in there working out everytime when I go.

BUT whenever I stop at White's Truck stop in Raphine, VA when I travel I feel super skinny in there! I kid you not! Half the truckers in there look to be 400lbs PLUS! LOL!

I stop in there now for lunch whenever I pass by! GREAT salad bar and food believe it or not!

MBN
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes, absolutely, there are days that I feel fat. How we see ourselves in the mirror is so subjective.

When I see my former self, I think, WOW was I heavy!! But I didn't think so then. Now I'm just used to my thinner self, but there are the bloated days, the "day after the big eating binge day", where I feel fat. I know I'm not really "fat", but certainly bigger than I am used to seeing now.

That's why I can't trust my subjective view to determine if I'm OK with my weight or not. I also need the scale, and the tape measure, and the body fat analysis. My eye can lie to me, and has SO many times before.

saef
02-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I can't see myself clearly. I'm sure this is a symptom of some kind of disorder. The minute I confront myself in a mirror, there's a mild shock: So that's me? Doesn't matter if I am fat or a healthy weight. Then I seem to start photoshopping mentally, either making myself grotesque, average or beautiful, depending on my mood.

My mental image of myself lags considerably behind the reality. When I was 247 pounds, I didn't think I was that heavy. Photographs upset me. Was that really me?

Now, much lighter, I have a problem when I go shopping. I hold up clothing & try to guess whether the large, medium or small sweater will fit me. Nearly always, I overestimate.

I also had the experience of riding an escalator in a large crowd & encountering an enormous mirror that reflected everyone in the crowd. We were all wearing winter coats, and in the NY area, that means black & navy -- thus, not much differentiation by clothing. I had trouble finding myself in the crowd at first. (I actually had to wave at myself.) This was spooky & disorienting. Like going to a bus station to meet someone but not knowing what the person looked like.

I look at mirrors & reflective surfaces a lot lately. Any passerby would think that I am a real narcissist. I'm not. I'm just trying to relearn my face & body so that I can recognize myself & carry around a fairly accurate mental image.

munchievictim
02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
I think that when we're heaviest, we are so set on ignoring that fact that we often do believe we're thinner than we are. I used to think to myself all the time "The scale may say ___ but I'm not as big as other girls that weight that much. I carry my weight really well. I'm curvy. No one thinks I'm fat."
And now, every time I lose a pound or two I feel like an enormous difference has been made, I start trying on smaller clothes and I can see the small changes in my stomach.
And then something will happen to remind me that I'm large. I was at my friends house the other day sitting on a chair next to a FULL LENGTH MIRROR and every time I glanced that way I just got more and more depressed. Then my friend's boyfriend had this guy over and all I was thinking to myself was "Oh god I wish I could hide I know he's probably thinking 'what a lard $$$' no one could be attracted to me like this."
Later in the week I found out that he not only wasn't thinking that, he's got a crush on me.
Then this morning I was feeling like a fat slob when I woke up cause i ate too much yesterday and gained a pound, but I went downstairs and the first thing my grandmother said to me was "you look too thin. turn sideways. lift up your shirt so i can see your stomach." i didn't lift up my shirt, but her fussing made me feel thinner.
So really its all perception, and we are each our own worst enemy and best friend.

saef
02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Lori. {} That's very affirming. You make me feel a little less weird & a little more normal.

That's what 3FC is about, though, isn't it? ;-)