100 lb. Club - I have new puppy pictures!

View Full Version : I have new puppy pictures!

cfmama
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
For those not in the know:

I`m getting a show quality Rough Collie baby girl at the beginning of April. She`s going to be my 100 lbs lost present (lol!) because I WILL lose another 20 or very close to it by then. Her name is Bella (I am a twilight freak) and her registered name will be Cherfire`s Silver Nymph.

So here are some new pics of her at 3 weeks!!! She`s the blue merle one :)

LesliesMom
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I love her - she's gorgeous. I'm jelous. My dogs would not be happy to read this.

Angie

MugCanDoIt
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Awwww...what cuties. Spoil them rotten!

ChefsGirl
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Oh!!!! So cute!! I've had puppy fever BAD lately. We have labs, a chocolate & a black one. I've been dying for another dog.....either a Pug or a yellow lab.

I know it's insanity tho & would cause total chaos in our house. Somebody stop me!

So jealous! Congrats!!!!

jillnicole03
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM
awwwwwwwwwwww

nelie
02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I feel for those who can handle puppies :) I took my dogs to doggie daycare this morning and this lady with a young large sized dog (BEAUTIFUL rottie mix) was saying her dog was so full of energy. I told her yup its that puppy energy. Both of mine are full of energy but they are older (2.5, 3.5). We had adopted the younger one at 18 months of age and although most of the puppy energy was gone, she was still very energetic.

cfmama
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
well keep in mind it`s a collie puppy so it`s a bit of a different animal. Collies are very smart and very easily trained. So when we get her she`ll be mostly potty trained. Collies are also couch potato`s ... so they tend to be lower energy. And we`ve always had herding dogs (Shepherd`s, corgi`s (both types)) so we`re used to that.

I have three kids, two daycare babies and a busy house anyways. I apparently thrive in chaos ;)

ChocLabLover
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
So cute! I can smell the puppy breath from here!

nelie
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
well keep in mind it`s a collie puppy so it`s a bit of a different animal. Collies are very smart and very easily trained. So when we get her she`ll be mostly potty trained. Collies are also couch potato`s ... so they tend to be lower energy. And we`ve always had herding dogs (Shepherd`s, corgi`s (both types)) so we`re used to that.

I have three kids, two daycare babies and a busy house anyways. I apparently thrive in chaos ;)

Oh I wish my corgi mix was low energy (she is the one we got at 18 months old). What was funny is we thought she was high energy, then we got a 2.5 year old beagle and he is just crazy energy! I thrive in chaos too... 2 dogs, 2 cats.

kodama
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
What a great reward and an exercise program to boot! : ) She's beautiful.

crazycurls
02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I want a puppy! They are the sweetest! I'm jealous!

TJFitnessDiva
02-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Awww she's so cute! I've always wanted a collie when I was younger but I doubt that my DH would be too happy to add a 4th dog (I have a boxer, great dane and chihuahua lol).....with everything and everyone else here it's a big chaotic mess! I love it though :)

Randi
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh my they are soooo cute! I bet you are counting the days until Bella comes home..... Congrats on your 100 lb present!!!

cfmama
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM
oh I said COLLIES are lower energy... not CORGI'S... lol! We have a purebred Pembroke boy and yah. He's a little nutty!

Thanks ladies! I think she's a beaut. We've been waiting for just the right puppy from this breeder since August so we're pretty stoked!

Ookpik
02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Awww....how cute!

thinpossible
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow, so cute! What an awesome wl reward!

Naughtymonkey01
02-19-2009, 11:23 PM
ACK!! Puppy cuteness!!
omg why did i think of that as my goal treat??? LOL
congrats!

nicolen
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Tammy, she's gorgeous!

rodeogirl
02-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Very cute!! I love dogs - I miss my pit bull she was so sweet, smart, and energetic. She made me laugh like every day.

looloo86
02-20-2009, 04:15 AM
ohhhhh so cute.

Sandi
02-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Awww, what a cutie!!

Congrats from one Twilight fan to another!

girlpiggy
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Jealous!

I want a dog so bad, but I don't have the time for one. My four kitties wouldn't be happy with a dog either, but they will have to get over it when the time comes ;)

zerocool
02-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I love puppies!

cfmama
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
and to add to chaos? I got my daughter a guinea pig today. Her name is Papua. She's very cute. lol! She was free and came with everything so *shrug* she'll have a good life here.

iminhere
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
ahh....more vicious animals.....

nelie
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Jealous!

I want a dog so bad, but I don't have the time for one. My four kitties wouldn't be happy with a dog either, but they will have to get over it when the time comes ;)

My one cat beats up on both the dogs. The other is a bit more passive but she can get feisty if need be.

mygritsconfessions
02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Adorable - I love puppys! My dog is now 100 pounds, but he still has puppy personality and energy!

recidivist
02-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I have not been able to get that pic of your pup out of my head since you first posted this. I'd never seen a blue merle collie before, so I googled them and they are absolutely gorgeous. Your pup is going to be stunning!

I'm afraid to ask how much she is costing you.

I have a wonderful dog who is getting so old and crippled, I may need to replace him soon, and I wonder if a Collie would work. He is my chicken protector. He chases hawks away and keeps them safe. He is an Aussie mixed with something big, like husky or shepherd, and is really beautiful, with one brown eye and one half blue eye. I am thinking now of trying to find a blue merle collie breeder around here. What have you done to me? :o

LadyHeather
02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
AWWWW she is sooooooo cute!

cfmama
02-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I have not been able to get that pic of your pup out of my head since you first posted this. I'd never seen a blue merle collie before, so I googled them and they are absolutely gorgeous. Your pup is going to be stunning!

I'm afraid to ask how much she is costing you.

I have a wonderful dog who is getting so old and crippled, I may need to replace him soon, and I wonder if a Collie would work. He is my chicken protector. He chases hawks away and keeps them safe. He is an Aussie mixed with something big, like husky or shepherd, and is really beautiful, with one brown eye and one half blue eye. I am thinking now of trying to find a blue merle collie breeder around here. What have you done to me? :o

A collie would do all that and more. They are herding and protector dogs but also really mellow and couch potato'ish. LOVE ME some blue merle Collie. If you ever decide to get one, let me know and I can steer you to some reputable breeders in your area :)

Price? A ... lot.

She's $1,000. Yes it's a lot for a dog. I don't care ;) lol!!!

recidivist
02-21-2009, 12:37 AM
With her coloring, it's no wonder. Are you going to breed her?

Oh well, it was a nice dream. I'm afraid 1K for a dog is probably beyond my wildest dreams. I'll probably have to do what I did with my Wolf...adopt another mixed breed from a shelter that has cattle dog, border collie, collie or aussie or something like that in the mix.

cfmama
02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
You know what? That dream is NOT dead. ALL breeders have dogs that didn't work out in the show ring for whatever reason, or who didn't pan out like they thought it would. These dogs are often offered for adoption for a nominal fee. It's worth looking into at the very least!

Once she gets her Championship on her, we'll let her mature for a bit and then with the guidance of our breeder we'll decide whether to have her bred or not.

nelie
02-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Have you looked into breed specific rescues? Or just at shelters/rescues in general?

I understand the want for certain people to get their dogs from breeders and they may have specific reasons for doing so. Of course if someone did go that route, I'd recommend that they visit the breeder and see how the dogs are treated, etc.

Although the average person does not fit into the mold of those that have reasons for buying from a breeder. So I highly recommend rescues and shelters. Never buy a dog from a store. I found both my great dogs through rescues and although I didn't want a purebred dog, I actually ended up with a beagle but just because I fell in love with him. You can get dogs of various ages from puppies to adults and for us, young adults were what we are looking for in terms of a dog.

Plus the money you pay in adoption fees is going to a program that helps save dogs from death, spay/neuter programs, etc. One of the good things about rescues as well is your new baby will often come already spayed/neutered.

cfmama
02-21-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd like to put out a shout there that GOOD breeders give time, money and resources to rescues all the time. Most breeders that I am involved with in the purebred world often have a rescue or two that they are rehabilitating. So please don't fall into the "evil breeder" trap that so many people seem to think.

Of course I concur: NEVER buy a puppy from a pet store or backyard breeder.

RN BSN 2009
02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Omigosh... as cute as can be!

Fat Chick B Gone
02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
The dogs are freaking adorable and I'm sure they'll have a loving and fun home.

I'd like to put out a shout there that GOOD breeders give time, money and resources to rescues all the time. Most breeders that I am involved with in the purebred world often have a rescue or two that they are rehabilitating. So please don't fall into the "evil breeder" trap that so many people seem to think.

I of course agree with you but I believe the point is that there are SO many dogs sitting in shelters or foster homes that may be on limited time that most people should consider adoption before purchasing from a breeder, reputable or not. We all have our different reasons for our decisions but I think people often forget that if for whatever reason they want a purebred there are plenty of rescues that have them. I'm not saying these people are evil per se, I'm sure the animals are treated well but they are contributing to the overpopulation problem and throwing money at it doesn't stop all the dogs from being killed due to lack of space and funds at shelters.
Sorry to get on my soapbox, I've seen far too many dogs/cats/rodents/etc in shelters to take this lightly.

Leeesa
02-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Adorable! Congratulations!

nelie
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Wasn't falling into any "evil breeder" trap, just saying that the average person has no need for a dog from a breeder as there are so many available in shelters/rescues. So if someone wants a specific kind of dog, breed specific rescues are a good place to start but I also say be open to other options :)

recidivist
02-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I am a shelter dog kinda person. I currently have nine rescue cats, and three rescue dogs, and one rescue goat. :p

But in this case, I am looking at something very specific for livestock protection, and I would be thrilled to find another mixed dog like my Wolf, but he's the only one I've seen who has the herder mentality and the size (except for livestock guardian dogs). I've never considered a collie before, but he is probably closer to a collie than any other breed, in behavior and size. Yes, I looked at rescue collies too. I wanted a rescue chocolate lab once too, when I lost my sweetheart Symphony, but could not find one anywhere near me. The closest I could find was in southern Cal, and I had to go visit the dog there. I could not afford that. Rescue's sometimes charge as much or more than a private breeder (not a puppy mill...someone who has a female dog and breeds her).

I will be keeping my eyes open for rescue Collies from now on, but I'm not holding my breath. I absolutely love tri-colored dogs (and all animals). My Wolf is red merle on white with black freckles, and I love his coloring. I really don't want just any breed or color of dog. I'm looking for something pretty specific, and it's hard to find that in a rescue. However, when I really get to the point of searching for a replacement, I will be looking most at breed characteristics and temperment so I end up with a good livestock guardian and personal protection. I live alone in the woods and my dogs have kept me safe on numerous occasions, either here at home, or hiking up in the mountains. I'm so in love with the coloring on that blue merle pup, I'd die to have a dog like that.

cfmama
02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
The dogs are freaking adorable and I'm sure they'll have a loving and fun home.
I of course agree with you but I believe the point is that there are SO many dogs sitting in shelters or foster homes that may be on limited time that most people should consider adoption before purchasing from a breeder, reputable or not. We all have our different reasons for our decisions but I think people often forget that if for whatever reason they want a purebred there are plenty of rescues that have them. I'm not saying these people are evil per se, I'm sure the animals are treated well but they are contributing to the overpopulation problem and throwing money at it doesn't stop all the dogs from being killed due to lack of space and funds at shelters.
Sorry to get on my soapbox, I've seen far too many dogs/cats/rodents/etc in shelters to take this lightly.

Dogs that are bred purposefully and for their nature are not taking homes away from shelter dogs. The amount of dogs that GOOD RESPONSIBLE breeders pump out every year is NOTHING compared to what's coming out of puppy mills and back yard breeders. NOTHING. We really have to focus on getting THOSE operations stopped and not attacking good responsible breeders that are focusing on bettering their dogs.

A really good post from a breeder friend of mine is:

http://www.intergate.com/~dougk32/shelterdog.html

she can explain the intricacies MUCH better than I can :)

And I TOO believe that if you don't have a need or a specific want for temperament or a specialized job that needs to be done then you should TOTALLY go for a rescue dog. But I'm never going to make anyone feel bad for getting a purebred from a good breeder.

junebug41
02-21-2009, 06:10 PM
But in this case, I am looking at something very specific for livestock protection, and I would be thrilled to find another mixed dog like my Wolf, but he's the only one I've seen who has the herder mentality and the size (except for livestock guardian dogs)

Shameless plug ahead...

I have a cattle dog (aka blue heeler) and he fits the description. He lives in the city, but he is a herder. He herds the larger dogs at the dog park. He herds the dogs at daycare. He's fiercely loyal and he LOVES hiking. His herding instinct is so strong that when he sees any sort of livestock or any other animal he switches into "herd mode".

And yes, he herds our cat. We'll be watching television and the cat will trot back and forth in the living room with the dog a couple of paces behind her.

There is an excellent cattle dog rescue group here, but farms and ranches will often sell them when theirs have a litter.

This picture is him on a hike, hiking pack and all.
//End shameless plug.

recidivist
02-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Junebug, I love love love blue healers. But I'd really like another big dog like Wolf (100 lbs)...his size and aggressiveness has helped keep bad guys from hurting me or trying to rob me. Smaller dogs work too, but a couple of really big barking dogs will stop just about anyone.

junebug41
02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I saw my first wolf dog over the summer. I would never in a million years cross it ;) It was perhaps the most formidable yet gentle animal I've ever seen. So beautiful! Where do you find them?

Dax is more of a coyote (the woman who found him thought that was what he was at first), and he looks more scrappy than anything. We live in an urban area where people aren't used to seeing working breeds and people actually cross the street when they see him coming. Must be those ears ;)

Edit: I just saw that your dog is actually named "Wolf". I misunderstood!

recidivist
02-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Ha ha...Wolf is his name, not his breed. He's an aussie mix with shepherd or husky or some other big dog. He's got the aussie coloring and some of that temperment, mixed with the size of the bigger dog, but he's very regal...lays down with his legs crossed (very long slender legs) like a Collie. He doesn't have any Collie in his face, so I doubt he's crossed with Collie.

cfmama
02-21-2009, 07:43 PM
recidivist: you should post his pic or email it to me! I am AWESOME with breed deciphering :)

and LOVE ME some blue heeler. My best friend has a blue girl Kippet. She's most awesome.

iriswhispers
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
*sigh* i'm a total dog lover but in my current living situation can't have pets... hopefully in a few years, though!

I had a German Shepherd when I was a little girl and I'd really like to get one again, I've been scoping out the German Shepherd rescue locally! Although I'll agree that there a also a lot of great breeders, my dad just got a rottie from a wonderful woman (the dog in my avatar).

nelie
02-21-2009, 08:11 PM
*sigh* i'm a total dog lover but in my current living situation can't have pets... hopefully in a few years, though!

I had a German Shepherd when I was a little girl and I'd really like to get one again, I've been scoping out the German Shepherd rescue locally! Although I'll agree that there a also a lot of great breeders, my dad just got a rottie from a wonderful woman (the dog in my avatar).

My poor Mother in law has to deal with my father in law's obsession with german shepherds (they have 2 currently). He'll find pictures on rescue websites, print them out and stick them on the fridge hoping she'll let him get another one :) My parents have a shepherd/basset and she is such a great dog, I really wanted to find a mix like her but didn't quite. I found a husky/shepherd mix at one point but they said she wouldn't be a good fit for our family as she needed to be an only dog.

claire fraser
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
aw... so cute!

ChefsGirl
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
We got our black lab mix from our local shelter. We think he's mixed w/ lab & rotweiller. NO ONE would dare cross me when I am walking my dog. He's so gentle & sweet, but at the same time don't mess w/ his mama.

He even gets after my DF if we are arguing & my DF raises his voice at me. My dog will get in between us & start growling at DF.

I feel so safe w/ him around, no one in their right mind would try to come in here when they hear his bark. He literally sounds like he would eat you if he had the chance :) I know that he'd just give kisses, but don't tell anyone one.

Luvbean
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Just LOVELY!!!!! Keep the pictures coming. Will you show her yourself or hire a handler?

Tai
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
How cute! Congratulations.

Cruebratt
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Cute!

cfmama
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Just LOVELY!!!!! Keep the pictures coming. Will you show her yourself or hire a handler?

I've shown my old Cardigan in specials classes and did well so we'll see how it goes. My breeder does have a handler here in my town so she'll give me some pointers on how to get her ready and how to show a puppy (because obviously my cardi was much older.) If I really bite at it ;) I'll get the pro-handler to do it :)

Missy09
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Oh she's adorable! Australian Shepherds are one of my favorite breeds but I love ANY dog that is blue merle lol. Congratulations on your pup and your weight loss!