100 lb. Club - The Daily Plate...Net calories?

View Full Version : The Daily Plate...Net calories?

lindalou0510
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, so I've been keeping track of my calories on the Daily Plate, and I simply adore it (IF you can adore a website!) I think I really found the right way to do this..at least for me!

My question is, I am confused about the net calories vs total calories. I work out daily, twice a week with a personal trainer. On those days, I am in the NEGATIVE NET calories, but my total calories are in range. Should I be eating MORE?

I am losing between 1-2lbs a week right now, and I am absolutely thrilled with that number! I just need to make sure I am getting the right amount of calories.

Let me give you an example.

To lose 3.0 lbs per week, I should be eating 2,180 calories, based on my weight at present. (that's alot of food!) I have logged all my food for today so far. My TOTAL calories are at 1452 as of right now. My NET calories are 14! At the top of the page, it says I may eat another 2,167 calories for today! WHOA! Seriously?

On Tue, I ended up with net calories of negative 23, but total calories 1487.

Sorry to run on, but I need a little help! THANKS!

lottie63
02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
YOu generally don't have to eat back your calories unless your net calories are under 1200.

BUT, tdp's calorie counts are WAY WAY OFF. so I wouldn't worry about it ttoo much. If you think you aren't eating enough you can always eat a few extra hundred cals on really hard work out days but I would definately not go by what tdp says. A lot of people there use heart rate monitors and say the calorie counts on their monitor or other exercise equipment is about half as much as tdp states.

fiberlover
02-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Don't forget that TDP is not just used by people who want to lose weight, but anyone tracking food. So an athlete might want to eat back those extra calories as they aren't trying to lose.

Ignore the net and stick with however many you want to eat for the day.

lindalou0510
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks! That's what I needed to know!

lalique
02-20-2009, 02:02 AM
YOu generally don't have to eat back your calories unless your net calories are under 1200.

BUT, tdp's calorie counts are WAY WAY OFF. so I wouldn't worry about it ttoo much. If you think you aren't eating enough you can always eat a few extra hundred cals on really hard work out days but I would definately not go by what tdp says. A lot of people there use heart rate monitors and say the calorie counts on their monitor or other exercise equipment is about half as much as tdp states.

How/what do you mean the calorie counter is off???