Weight Loss Support - Protein!

View Full Version : Protein!

munchievictim
02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Okay I've been logging my calories on The Daily Plate for some time now, and while it's helped me get control of my fat intake (from 50% to 20% roughly) because there's a pie chart breaking down where your calories are coming from, I've noticed that my carbs are usually more than 50% and my protein is the smallest sliver of the pie.
So, I know the basics--egg whites and tuna. But what are some other healthy protein powerhouses? something I could have for breakfast or lunch to really get my daily quota in? Anybody got any tips?

blue_sky
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Cottage cheese (1%)
Beans
Canned salmon- use it as you would tuna
white meat chicken

those are some of my favorites :)

Fat Chick B Gone
02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Tofu, Beans, Whole grains, seeds and nuts (can be fatty but are generally the "healthy" fat), certain veggies such as spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts and broccoli have a very high protein to calories ratio

Amber1011
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
tofu, meat substitutes generally have a ton of protein with much less fat and other bad stuff.
beans!

mandalinn82
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Nonfat greek yogurt
In a pinch/on the run, I use pre-packed protein shakes.
WW Tortilla with turkey and a laughing cow
String cheeses

tigarlily1
02-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Are protein suppliments like whey protein for example a ok way to increase your protein intake? My protein is low too and I'm just not a huge fan of meat. I do get protein but usually fall about 20g short of my daily goal.

nelie
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
well how much protein are you getting? For me, carbs are the biggest portion of my calories, then protein and then fat. Unless you are going for a specific ratio, then your protein may be fine.

horsey
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
When you see your protein is low on your charts, mix up water and whey protein, drink, put that into fitday and you'll see those numbers quickly change...

JulieJ08
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
tofu, meat substitutes generally have a ton of protein with much less fat and other bad stuff.
beans!

I would definitely check labels. I've never found meat substitutes to be generally low in fat.

Fat Chick B Gone
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I would definitely check labels. I've never found meat substitutes to be generally low in fat.

What have you tried? Every one I've had are quite low in fat with the exception of soy chorizo.

nelie
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM

Yeah I was going to say, there are a ton of meat substitutes that are low in fat. Yves and Lighterlife actually specialize in lower fat meat substitutes. The regular boca burgers have very little fat and tons of protein.

I've also made my own that are low fat as well.

Tofurkey brand tends to be higher in fat except for their deli 'meats'. Other than that, they tend to be lower fat in general.

CountingDown
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
In addition to what has already been listed, I like Flatout breads, and Joseph's pitas. The Thomas Light Multi-grain English muffins are also a good choice.

All three have extra protein added combined with some veggie toppings, make an excellent sandwich :)

icicle84
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Roasted chickpeas as a snack and main dishes made with quinoa are two of my favorites. I also second the string cheese suggestion- very convenient!

zenor77
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
well how much protein are you getting? For me, carbs are the biggest portion of my calories, then protein and then fat. Unless you are going for a specific ratio, then your protein may be fine.

I agree. It's nearly impossible to be deficient in protein. Many Americans eat too much protein, in fact. That said, everyone is different and in weight loss some do better with more protein. This is not true for me. I do just fine with my diet being formed of mostly carbs (the complex kind -- whole grains), good fats, and about 10-15% protein. How much are you aiming for?

WormwoodDoll
02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Chicken (I eat tons of it. Usually 8oz at dinner most days and it has 46g of protein!)
Lean ground turkey
Nuts
Cheeses
Whole grains (breads, pasta)
Lunch meat - 6 slices of Oscar Mayer brand have 8g and only 50 cals - You can do turkey and cheese roll ups!
Yogurt
Egg beaters (I use instead of eggs) - I usually have a multigrain eng muffin with a slice of cheese, 1/4 cup egg beater, and a slice of turkey bacon about 15g+ of protein for breakfast
Fish! Good to have instead of tons of chicken

munchievictim
02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not really shooting for a certain amount of protein, but my stepmom is a body-builder (so's my dad) and i think they got me paranoid about protein intake. I definitely want to incorporate some tofu and more chicken and fish--I just don't really know how to cook!

blue_sky
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Fish is super easy. I buy tilapia fillets at costco, rub with a tiny bit of olive oil, and shake some mrs. dash lemon pepper seasoning on top.... put them in the oven at 325 for half an hour.... done!

Chicken is great and easy on the grill in the summer. You can marinate it beforehand in whatever you like.

Tofu can be done in a million ways but I will let someone else advise you on that, mine ends up disastrous about 50% of the time. I do like to bake it though- I just marinate it and put in the oven at 200 degrees for about 2 hours. great on a pita or by itself.

Cee8ee
02-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I make a small whey protein shake on days that are deficient in protein. It has not hampered my weight loss at all.. and in fact gives me lots of energy that burns off more calories...

CAT

Violin Jenn
02-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Seitan is a great source of protein as well. It's known as "wheat meat". There isn't anything that you can't do with it. Low in cals 80cals/3oz, virtually fat free too. I've stir fried it, put it in an Irish "beef" stew and even southern fried it in a little bit of veggie oil (just enough to brown it).