Old 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Do yall think this serving size is realistic?

The recipe says it is 8 servings. Now a 9x9 pan is the little square one right? Im that off on portions, because I only see it being 4 maybe 6 servings from a 9x9 pan.

* 2 C chopped, grilled chicken add to shopping list
* 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 jar (8 oz) chile peppers, drained
* 1/2 C old el paso enchilada sauce
* 3/4 C crumbled baked tostitos
* 1/2 C shredded reduced fat jack cheese

Directions
Stir together the chicken, beans, peppers, and enchilada sauce. Place it all in a 9'' x 9'' baking dish. Top with chips and bake at 400°F for half an hour. Sprinkle cheese over the dish and bake an additional 5 minutes. Top each helping with salsa and fat free sour cream.
Click here to find out more!
Nutritional Facts per serving
CALORIES 174.4 CAL

FAT 3.9 G

SATURATED FAT 1.4 G

CHOLESTEROL 36.3 MG

SODIUM 582.2 MG

CARBOHYDRATES 17.7 G

TOTAL SUGARS 1.9 G

DIETARY FIBER 3.7 G

PROTEIN 17 G

Last edited by willow650; 02-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #2  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, I think that's kind of the tricky part of "serving size" - if there are 8 "servings" at 175 cals each in this recipe, that's what it is (total calories in recipe/8). If you plan to take the 9x9 pan and divide it into 4 pieces, then you're "serving" 4 people/meals from that dish, but at 350 calories per "serving".

It really comes down to the math - a quarter of that recipe is going to be a pretty good amount of food for 350 calories. If that's what you feel is an appropriate amount to satisfy you, that's "your" serving. It's like a "serving" of banana is supposedly HALF a banana (according to some sources)... who actually eats half and wraps the rest up for later??

Eat a reasonably portion for yourself, and calculate what that equates to. 1 cup of milk is a "serving" but I usually drink 2 cups with dinner. A "serving" is 80 calories, but "my serving" is almost always 160. My point - keep tabs and what and how much you eat - regardless of what a "serving size" is.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

But how 'low cal" can something claim to be that has a very tiny, unrealistic serving size? I mean isn't that kind of false advertising? I think its mean and underhanded

Last edited by willow650; 02-19-2009 at 12:56 PM.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I find that MOST recipes yield a serving size that I find is too small. I am big on big portions. Portion control is important for me in terms of the high-calorie things I find myself eating, but when I sit down to dinner, I want a big plate.

If you wanted to make the same dish a low-ish number of calories (225 or so for almost double the portion), I'd use my favorite trick for mexican-style dishes...add sauteed bell pepper, zucchini, and red onion! You just mix those in with your casserole (maybe 4-6 cups of veggies total), add a bit more sauce, and you get an extra half a cup of food for less than 50 calories. I use the same trick with pastas (except I usually add bell pepper, zucchini, red onion, and roasted eggplant) and even with meatloaf (I grate carrots and zucchini into the mix). I often will take dishes that start with ground beef and add cooked spinach. This means I get a serving that is big enough to satisfy, but can still use all of these neat recipes I find, like the one above.

All recipes can be used as guidelines and made bigger, bulkier, with extra veggies. Its a really neat way to take recipes that yield teeny portions and make them more feasible.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

Hi, I jsut ran the recipie through the recipie builder on the WW site as best I could and it comes out to around 5 points per serving which is about right. I think adding extra veggies, and a salad or exchanging the chips for brown rice to up the fiber to make you feel fuller with less might be a good way to go.
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #6  
No description available.

Like amanda I bulk stuff up with veggies. That would be yummy over a big green salad or roasted veggies.

Last edited by midwife; 02-19-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Stupid iPhone spelling "fixes"
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk Chick View Post
It's like a "serving" of banana is supposedly HALF a banana (according to some sources)... who actually eats half and wraps the rest up for later??
*raises hand* ME!
I often eat only 1/2 banana, 1/2 large apple, 1/2 an orange
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Not me, I hog down the whole blasted thing at once! I do count it as two servings though--or 100 calories actually since I am a calorie counter
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I am a recipe "bulker" all the way...mix in a BUNCH of mexican appropriate veggies and give yourself a big, satisfying portion for hardly any more calories...but one that looks like a satisfying amount of food. I do this with EVERYTHING -- just automatically add more bulk if it can be done.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat half or most often 1/3rd of a banana. Sometimes a whole banana but thats a bit rare.

I don't know where you got the original recipe but I often make 'main' dishes and use smaller portions for them and add larger portion of veggies and what not.

I recently made spinach/potato/black bean cheeseless enchiladas which were really good but I only served myself a small portion and then added veggies and some fat free refried beans on the side.

I definitely agree though that the recipe is low on veggies and I would 'bulk' it up and switch things around.

Last edited by nelie; 02-19-2009 at 03:39 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you've got to remember that serving is not the same as portion. When preparing a dish for a family, you can easily portion out the dish based on the servings, but it doesn't necessarily mean that every family member gets the same portion. Just for easy math, it looks like each serving is about about 1/2 cup of food or a little more. One serving would be an appropriate portion for most kids. Mom might want one and a half or two servings, and Dad maybe two or more.

There is no serving size that would be realistic or reasonable for everyone. It depends on too many factors. Can you imagine every recipe coming with an age/gender/height/weight/activity level/nutritional needs chart to determine portions by.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-19-2009 at 04:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote