Weight Loss Support - What's the grossest tasting stuff you eat/drink that's "good" for you?

horsey
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
What's the grossest tasting stuff you eat/drink that's "good" for you?

Someone posted a recipe for a tuna shake on my Body for Life (a weight training program requiring lots of protein) diet site. So I thought hmmmm... sounds like that Pericone diet where you transform your skin with salmon in a way. Tried the tuna shake yesterday and then today did a salmon shake and reread the Pericone weight loss book - that shows before and after pictures of people who supposedly lose 10 years on salmon and other supplements. I tried this diet before and used to half puke when I ate salmon but agreed that my skin was different.

Anyways salmon is still fairly gross tasting to me BUT in a shake but at least I can get it down QUICK - the recipe is tuna or spinich, with maybe some oatmeal all blended up in a blender. It's a red/green color, but amazing it wasn't as BAD as I thought. Just wondering what other gross tasting "miracle" foods people use to lose weight and be healthy? This one I might actually stick with 4-5 times a week along with fish oil and other supplements.

Just to see... Heck maybe I'll come out of this with weight loss and minus 5 years on my age.

mandalinn82
02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Honestly, if it doesn't taste good, I don't eat it.

The closest is my multi-vitamin, which smells pretty nasty.

aneleh
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
haha eww I don't know if I can drink fish! I loove love love smoked salmon though. Same as mandalinn, if it's gross I don't eat it lol no matter how healthy it is.

horsey
02-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Well this isn't eating it, it's drinking it down as quickly as possible to get benefits... just wonder if benefits are worth GROSS even quick GROSS

JulieJ08
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Eeuw, a fish shake. Why not just take fish oil capsules?

midwife
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't eat or drink things I think are gross either. I like salmon and I like tuna but I wouldn't drink either one.

I don't like bananas. I know they would be a great thing for me to incorporate, esp. after long runs, but it ain't happening.

I'm still a foodie at heart. The ingredients are whole and healthy, but what I eat is still delicious.

aneleh
02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Well this isn't eating it, it's drinking it down as quickly as possible to get benefits... just wonder if benefits are worth GROSS even quick GROSS

my parents used to make me drink carrot and garlic juice when I was a kid! I guess drinking it is better.. but I'm not willing to part with any calories for non- yummy food anyway

RN BSN 2009
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
lol exactly! i'm going to spend my calories on yummy stuff.

joyra
02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
That's how I used to diet... stuffing things in that are healthy but not appetizing. I'm like everyone else.. if I don't like it, I won't eat it.

That said, there are some things I am trying to eat because they are healthier though they wouldn't be my first choice. I have bought some big fat carrots and when I'm starving but know I've already eaten a lot, I'll eat on of those.. takes me like 30 minutes to eat it! The taste is fine but I most often eat it when I am craving something like chocolate.

I used to take fish oil capsules and totally mean to again but I burp up fishy taste for like 2 hours, which I don't care for. If I better plan when I take them, it would probably make the taste less obvious.

JulieJ08
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
I used to take fish oil capsules and totally mean to again but I burp up fishy taste for like 2 hours, which I don't care for.

They make better ones now. They're micronized or deionized or microfiltered or something :). I don't get any fishy burps at all.

jademarlene
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
A salmon shake? That sounds absolutely disgusting :barf: Im not wasting my calories on something that doesn't taste good. I need to find some of the fish oil capsules that don't give you fishy burbs, has anybody found any?

Lori Bell
02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I LOVE food, most all nutritious, delicious...food. Since I like such a wide variety of delicious food, I will not "spend" my calories on something I don't find tasty. I did that in the old days during a binge...I'd eat cold french fries or something equally disgusting, (gross) for the sake of eating. I don't do that anymore.

kestrel
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Floradix, my iron supplement. (I'm a little anemic after my latest pregnancy.) I used to take it with orange juice, which made it not so bad, but now I just take it straight. It's a bit nasty, but doesn't have the unpleasant digestive side effects of other iron supplements.

horsey
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey that's a great idea, let's mix the salmon with orange juice.

cfmama
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
if you FREEZE the fish oil pills they don't give you fishy burps.

I eat or drink nothing that tastes gross. If I make my way of life unpalatable I'm less likely to stick to it!

kaplods
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Except for some medications, I don't eat or drink anything I consider gross tasting. Oddly, the med I wash down the fastest doesn't have a bad taste, it just freaks me out. It tastes and smells like roses, and the idea of eating something so perfumey is just a tad disturbing.

That doesn't mean I don't retry things that I think I don't like. Tastebuds can chase and preparation methods can make a big difference too. I have always HATED brussels sprouts with an unnatural passion, but not that long ago I read a recipe for roasting them, and I just got the urge to try it again, and learned that I really like brussels sprouts roasted.

Still, there's not a single food that is so magically good for you that you can't get the same nutrients from another food or foods (not necessarily in the same combinations, but by mixing and matching foods you can get all the nutrients you need).

The one exception I would generally make, would be if you're an individual who hates an entire food group, then it might be a good idea to hide or disguise them or try to make them as palatable as possible and keep trying them prepared in different ways.

nelie
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't eat/drink things that are gross but I do eat/drink things that others generally may think are odd :)

junebug41
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't eat/drink things that are gross but I do eat/drink things that others generally may think are odd :)

This is pretty true for me. My smoothies may very well be the most disgusting looking things ever, but they taste amazing.

horsey
02-18-2009, 09:38 PM
This Body for Life program, has you eat six meals per day, and that's part of the thing... so the author says to substitute shakes or bars if you are busy, as a normal person can't prepare this many meals. So I was drinking whey shakes, and although those protein bars taste good I feel guilty eating so much sugar. Thus the idea of tuna or salmon shakes, to drink down a lot of healthy protein when busy. Anyways I'm just thinking I'd rather drink down a salmon shake then eat a sugary protein bar. Seems like real food would be better. Maybe I'll give my "salmon" shakes a few weeks and see if there's a difference in my skin. My mom who's almost 70 has glowing skin, she doesn't look near this, everyone's always told her this at every age. She juices and drinks down carrots and very green ugly stuff every morning. And she eats some salmon too, although she really doesn't like it much. I believe salmon/fish makes you smart too - and I'd like to be a smart person, not just a cute skinny blonde - if I ever get my figure back... Those movie stars! Everytime I read something about their nutrition, most of them seem to have figured out salmon for the youthful look... including Jennifer Aniston who looks what 10 years younger then 40? Gosh this must be some 40 thing, I just turned it too, looking for miracles, and if salmon's it I'll take it!

burgundyrayne
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
I think someone else said this too, but I will again. If you freeze fish oil pills you wont get the fishy taste. A doctor told me this.

I drink unsweetened green tea, dont really care for the taste but it is supposed to increase your metabolism. I am a southern girl so I am used to sweet tea, but I try to stay away from it.

And the fish shake, yuck, dont think I could do that.

rockinrobin
02-18-2009, 10:10 PM
I LOVE everything that I'm eating. I wouldn't dream of eating/drinking something that I didn't like. I don't see the point of it. My calories are too precious to me to spend on things I don't thoroughly enjoy.

There are plenty of perfectly healthy things that I don't like, wish I did, but I don't. So I don't eat them. Cottage cheese and greek yogurt comes to mind. Lots of people like them, but I personally don't. As healthy and convenient as they are, I refuse to eat them.

cfmama
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
why don't you... bake a BUNCH of salmon, freeze them, thaw them and take them with you! I eat salmon probably 3 times a week and yes, my skin is AWESOME now. I'm also hoping it will help my skin snap back into place better ;)

nelie
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
I actually used to eat fish and never liked the taste of it, I was glad when I gave up meat that I didn't need to struggle with fish anymore :)

Have you thought of making your own protein bars?

Here is a sticky in the weight training forum started by those on BFL. It has various 'bodybuilding' recipes
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18797

JulieJ08
02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
This Body for Life program, has you eat six meals per day, and that's part of the thing... so the author says to substitute shakes or bars if you are busy, as a normal person can't prepare this many meals. So I was drinking whey shakes, and although those protein bars taste good I feel guilty eating so much sugar. Thus the idea of tuna or salmon shakes, to drink down a lot of healthy protein when busy. Anyways I'm just thinking I'd rather drink down a salmon shake then eat a sugary protein bar.

More power to you! I just cannot even imagine it. :dizzy:

tarryn
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
spirilina..i.e. green vomit in a glass
but a quick and easy way to get your daily vegies in if u dont have time

corazonas
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
mmm i only eat yummy food too... then again, some of the things i think are delicious others might think are gross?

horsey
02-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Gosh, not even one person agrees to eat gross food because it's good for you... well most are more successful at weight loss and maintenance then me - my yo yo dieting. Still i'm going to try to do this a few times a week. I have some idea that salmon helps, I think today it helped my mood - I'm a majorly moody person and if salmon fixes my moods and helps me lose and helps me gain muscle... then it might be the Pericone miracle - that I could chug down with spinich and green tea or orange juice.

jfcatlover44
02-19-2009, 02:42 AM
yuck! fish in a glass---I can't imagine it. For me the yuckiest I ever consumed was wheat grass shots. I used to plug my nose and swallow it. The best part was even though it sucked I felt great afterwards.

mandalinn82
02-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Horsey - if it works, it works. Studies have shown that Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help with depression and mood. I take fish oil supplements for that reason.

rockinrobin
02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I knew one of the big keys to me STICKING with this new lifestyle was finding foods that I LOVE. When you love what you're eating it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier to stay on plan. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good. I mean really, it's hard enough staying on plan as it is, if you don't love what you're eating - it would be next to impossible. I say set yourself up for success - and discover foods that you adore. For me, it was/is once a foodie - always a foodie. Maybe even more so now.

blue_sky
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
I used to juice wheatgrass every morning :p

midwife
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
This Body for Life program, has you eat six meals per day, and that's part of the thing... so the author says to substitute shakes or bars if you are busy, as a normal person can't prepare this many meals. So I was drinking whey shakes, and although those protein bars taste good I feel guilty eating so much sugar.

While I wouldn't dare to claim any of us are normal, you are welcome to check out the BFL Meal thread in the weightlifting forum to see how we pull off eating 5-6 times a day.

sws19
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
hmm. i love fish and seafood but the shake concept actually almost makes me throw up in my mouth a little. yuck!
i'm not sure if this counts because these foods aren't traditionally considered "gross," but they are foods that i have never really liked but am trying to incorporate into my diet because i think they are filling snacks: bananas and peanut butter. not necessarily together. i've been trying to think positive banana and peanut butter thoughts. so far so good on the bananas. i've had about 4 or 5 a week and i seem to be doing ok even though i definitely still do not love them. i love how filling they are. still working on the peanut butter. i put some on celery and it wasn't too bad.

mayness
02-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I re-try healthy things I don't like once in a while... including shrimp, natural peanut butter, almonds, and butternut squash.

I keep at it because in the past I've started eating a few things that I used to not like -- like raw tomatoes, which I eat on sandwiches and salads now. I actually prefer having them on a grilled chicken breast sandwich!

But I'd never eat anything regularly that I don't like. And if I'm trying something I don't like, you'd better believe I'm having something I REALLY like with it as a treat. :)

ICUwishing
02-19-2009, 02:49 PM
oh gawd. It's broccoli. I absolutely hate it ... I must be one of those "supertasters" because the stuff tastes like rotten, bitter garbage to me. My son and husband love it, and it's undeniably a nutritional powerhouse, so I suffer through it. It's almost tolerable sauted in a little chicken stock, or hidden in the flavors from something else on my plate ... but if I never took another bite of broccoli, I would NOT miss it.

ProteinGal
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I love my wild salmon have it at least 2-3 meals a week. I also take cod liver oil and wild salmon fish oil supplements everyday. Now I don't think I could do a salmon shake though, that would be tough!

A few months ago, I had to try some nutritional yeast, since everybody was telling me it was so good for you. YUCK, I tried at least 3 times, gulping it down with plain water, its so bad I threw it away. It reminds me of stinky gym locker room.

canadianwoman
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Fish oil capsules were gross to me so I quit taking them. I eat 1 or 2 servings of fish daily so it's all good.

blue_sky
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I just wanted to add, have you ever tried making salmon cakes? Like crab cakes but use canned salmon instead. I happen to love salmon, but my family doesn't. But when I make it into "cakes" they can't tell the difference- even my husband likes it.

ProteinGal
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
That's how I used to

I used to take fish oil capsules and totally mean to again but I burp up fishy taste for like 2 hours, which I don't care for. If I better plan when I take them, it would probably make the taste less obvious.

Look for Enteric Coated, no after taste or acid reflux.

ProteinGal
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
spirilina..i.e. green vomit in a glass
but a quick and easy way to get your daily vegies in if u dont have time

Try mixing a tsp into a berrie smoothie, with everything mixed up I can't noticed the taste of Spirulina.

nelie
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I used to juice wheatgrass every morning :p

Funny, I was just reading something where someone said they thought wheatgrass was sweet tasting.

I drink something called AmazingGrass which is a wheatgrass/greens powder but I actually like it. My husband drinks a superfood powder that I can't stand but because it has a lot of sea vegetables in it which makes it taste very fishy and I was never a big fan of fish.

horsey
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I've got it - the Ultimate GROSS Shake... how about mixing up three times a week everything we can't stand into a shake? I know I'm not "getting it"... what everyone is saying here. But let's face it there's superfoods we are missing out on, like salmon, broccoli and others that are so superly good for us that shaking them up and quickly gagging them down might make us SUPER healthy.

So my new shake of things I could NEVER eat that are good for me: salmon, broccoli (I'm changing spinich to broccoli now because I can eat spinich), beets, egg whites (cooked first, great for weight training), tofu, wheatgrass, sweet potatoes (I finally can eat the fries but not the actually potatoes)...

horsey
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Opps and yes let's throw in sea weed and other sea veggies... where would I get that stuff? And when I was in the Far East they seemed to think bugs of different varieties were healthy. Maybe mix in a few bugs

rockinrobin
02-19-2009, 05:35 PM
But let's face it there's superfoods we are missing out on, like salmon, broccoli and others that are so superly good for us that shaking them up and quickly gagging them down might make us SUPER healthy

I think I am a pretty healthy person, according to my weight, my blood work and the way I feel and function. I haven't had a cold in years, no fever, no nothing. Knock wood.

Ieat a huge variety of foods with nutrients of all sorts, but there ARE some very healthy things I don't eat. You don't have to eat EVERY healthy food there is - in order to be healthy. :)

JayEll
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I know I'm not "getting it"... what everyone is saying here. But let's face it there's superfoods we are missing out on, like salmon, broccoli and others that are so superly good for us that shaking them up and quickly gagging them down might make us SUPER healthy.

Or it might just make us upchuck them all! :barf:

You know, you can make a really nice dinner with salmon and broccoli. Why would you make them into a shake? Maybe I'm the one not getting it here, but if the idea is to eat more of them, why not... EAT more of them???

:dunno:

Jay

nelie
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I've got it - the Ultimate GROSS Shake... how about mixing up three times a week everything we can't stand into a shake? I know I'm not "getting it"... what everyone is saying here. But let's face it there's superfoods we are missing out on, like salmon, broccoli and others that are so superly good for us that shaking them up and quickly gagging them down might make us SUPER healthy.

So my new shake of things I could NEVER eat that are good for me: salmon, broccoli (I'm changing spinich to broccoli now because I can eat spinich), beets, egg whites (cooked first, great for weight training), tofu, wheatgrass, sweet potatoes (I finally can eat the fries but not the actually potatoes)...

I don't eat animal products so no salmon or egg whites for me but...

I love broccoli, beets (raw beet salad is soooo good), tofu (I like it but usually don't eat it often), wheatgrass (i eat this in powdered form) and love sweet potatoes.

I'm back to drinking green smoothies in the morning which consist of celery, cucumbers, spinach, ginger, lemon juice, apple and a couple strawberries. I don't think there is a veggie or a fruit that I don't like or wouldn't eat.

One thing that I never cared much for is parsley (love cilantro, parsley not so much) but I've been thinking of buying some and adding it to my green smoothie.

horsey
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Oops I forgot to add grapefruit, cucumbers to my gross drink

JenMusic
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I lived in China for a few years, and there's a vegetable there called bitter melon. I think it's part of the squash family, although I've never seen it in the States. It's exactly what it sounds like - the most bitter food you can imagine. This is totally gross, but it always reminded me of when I was little and super-sick with stomach flu, and ended up vomiting bile. THAT bitter.

I would never order it myself, but when I went out with friends or colleagues they would often order it because it's supposed to be healthy. I would try and avoid it, but often my Chinese friends would place some in my bowl, as is customary. Then I would have no choice.

nelie
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I've tried bitter melon and there is a Chinese restaurant here that serves it. I actually liked it. I've also seen it in various grocery stores.

I love grapefruit but don't eat it because it can have adverse reactions with BC pills (and other medications)

rockinrobin
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM

I'm with Jay, I'm also just not getting it. Wouldn't it be better to find foods that you actually LIKE and enjoy, instead of forcing yourself to drink the "ultimate GROSS" shake, as you call it?

As I posted earlier, there are PLENTY of healthy foods out there and we don't need to eat each and every one of them - to be - healthy. Fortunately.

FB
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Creatine powder was unusually unpleasant to me - impossible to mix, bitter and tasted like a glass of sandy aspirin water, so I quit doing that right away.

There's not really any food I can think of that I have been unable to tolerate. :lol: I read about those tuna shakes someplace recently and honestly thought it was a joke - you're a brave adventurous girl, for sure.

horsey
02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I figured out my gross drink... I already do a "booster" most mornings, got the idea from the Superfoods diet, he says most of us dont' get the veggies we need in regular eating so he suggests drinking juice or having a smoothie as the am snack... I've been for months drinking a can of v8 juice, I don't really like it but I feel that it helps me get more veggies in. So I've thrown some salmon into the v8 juice, added some spinich and salmon and really it's not that bad, disguises the salmon taste and doesn't ruin the v8 juice taste since I didn't like it anyways.

flatiron
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Being half asian who likes to eat a lot of Asian foods that many American people would find gross two of my favorites being Kim Chee (fermented cabbage) and Balut which is errr ... well you can look it up for the sqeemish LOL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

Most Koreans eat Kim Chee almost everyday and it is very low in calories and believe it is essential for good health and Balut is VERY high in protein and also very good for you.

That's the only thing gross that I eat that I can think of except to me these taste good! YUM! LOL!

jahjah1223
02-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Salmon and fish i hate it! unless its tilapia

horsey
02-22-2009, 11:27 PM
My skin is looking MUCH BETTER after just 4-5 salmon shakes!

nelie
02-22-2009, 11:34 PM
flatiron - I love kim chee although I'm too lazy to make it myself and the ones in the Korean markets around here tend to all have fish sauce in them. I've never had Balut but I've heard of it before.

horsey - I love tomatoes but for some reason I can't stand tomato juice or tomato soup which means I can't stomach v8 :)

TJFitnessDiva
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't eat or drink anything that is gross...well to me anyways...people might look at me weird if you aren't from here and we're are at a crawfish boil ;) I do take a multi vitamin and I hate taking it! lol but that's it!

Why torture myself?

blue_sky
02-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I just have to say....

I LOVE kim chee!!!! I did make it myself once and that was even better than storebought!

flatiron
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
I just have to say....

I LOVE kim chee!!!! I did make it myself once and that was even better than storebought!

was it hard to make? I've been looking at recipes. I wanna try it but it looks very involved.

I wanna make a lower sodium batch of it if I can.