Weight Loss Support - My body failed me. What gives?

View Full Version : My body failed me. What gives?

tkm256
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
I started jogging on the treadmill in the mornings last year to get from sedentary couch potato to sorta-kinda-in-shape. For the last couple of weeks I've been able to consistently cover 2-3 miles at 11-12 minutes a mile and still have plenty of energy for the rest of the day (I only do it every other day to let the muscles recover). This morning, though, I couldn't breathe after only half a mile! I had to stop to catch my breath, and when I tried to get going again my legs felt like lead. I finished my two miles, but felt like I had overcooked spaghetti for muscles afterwards. Walking was difficult all day--plus, I've had constant hunger pangs that just won't go away.

I don't have a cold, and it isn't my premenstrual water-logged week, and I'm actually two pounds lighter than I was on Sunday when I last exercised (the Valentine's candy bloating went down :p). What could be wrong with me?

Thighs Be Gone
02-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Have you had a physical lately? How is your protein and good carb intake?

MariaMaria
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't worry unless it happens gain tomorrow. Some days just don't work, IME.

recidivist
02-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Have you been cutting calories to make up for V-day? Everyone has off days, or you might even be coming down with something. Could you be dehydrated? 2lbs loss in two days could be water loss, and dehydration.

JayEll
02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
What is your calorie target? Sounds like you're not eating enough.

Jay

midwife
02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Do you incorporate a rest day in your week? If I run everyday, my body burns out.

tkm256
02-18-2009, 08:27 AM
My calorie intake is about 1700 a day--which should be only 400 less than I burn (assuming I'm "moderately active"). Dehydration sounds like a definite possibility--I woke up really thirsty this morning. The hunger pangs yesterday may have been thirst pangs.

Also, my bf is hacking and sneezing up a storm this morning. I might have caught a little of what he's got.

Thanks for the input, guys.

fatmad
02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Hmm, while a virus is a definite possibility, you may want to invest in a pregnancy test. The complete physical exhaustion may indicate it, even if you are not ready for your period yet.
(its embarrassing for a midwife to admit, but I had light periods at the beginning of my first pregnancy and didn't realize I was pregnant for a while, about 12 weeks!)

nods
02-19-2009, 09:14 AM
My guess is dehydration too. I have days like this. I can usually do 4 miles (still working on that magic 5) with negative splits. But every now and again I hit a half mile and just feel like...nah, I don't want to do this today. I usually finish the mile...but it happens sometimes that your body doesn't want to run at all.

But It could be you were thirsty. That happens to me too. Take a bunch of little sips of water so you don't have water sloshing in your tummy!