Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #1  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Smile Please help my son work out and build muscle

Here's a list of questions my son is asking. He's working on getting in shape to be a better lineman in football next year. He's 6', about 240 lb, and will be 17 years old for next season. Obviously, he needs to lose some weight and is working on that. He runs and does stretches for his legs and works with weights and machines at school. So, can anyone answer these??? He's asking not because he's hoping to be the high school hottie, just wants to be much stronger and leaner and kick some opposing lineman butt this fall!

What burns more calories-big or small muscles?

How does he build more strength-large weights & fewer reps or smaller weights & more reps? And, which builds more bulk?

Thanks in advance
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ronni - Does your son have a training program? I know many high schools have weight training programs for their athletes provided by their coaches, is that not the case?

For building bulk - Heavy weight, very low reps (4-6). Overall strength can be built without bulk though but he will still want to lift heavy.

Big muscles burn lots of calories because well they are bigger but he should look at compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups. Squats, pushups, pullups, lunges, etc are good examples.

He might also be interested in things like kettlebells which are awesome for working multiple muscle groups as well as being a fat burning cardiovascular exercise.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #3  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Nelie-thanks for the info! No training program here. During football season, of course, they have the normal practices and drills (some even called puke drillsbecause they will run the boys until some start puking), but most of that is running and sprints. They have access to the weight room most days, but no one there to instruct (it's only open if there is a teacher to supervise, though). Some of the richer families have memberships in a health club that has trainers, but we can't afford that, so just trying to help DS as much as possible without breaking the bank, so to speak
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #4  
No description available.

Maybe he could check out the New Rules of Weight Lifting for a good overall program. He's pretty lucky! If he can get a program going, he'll get really strong (I'm jealous of a teenage boy!)

My dd's school has weightlifting for a class, but I guess that is not offered at your son's school?

Let me look around online today and see what I can dig up that might be good for a high school boy. I know my trainer trains lots of hs football players and will write weightlifting programs for people who don't live here, but 1) I don't know what she charges and 2) I think it is important for someone to watch his technique. It might be a place to start, especially if he uses youtube as a way to look at form.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was going to say, a 17 year old boy is the prime building block for building muscle and bulk if wanted. 30 year old body builders would be jealous of your sons age/ability

Also, as with any weight lifting, he will need to control his calories somewhat in order to help burn off some of the fat to be able to have the muscles visible but that can usually be easily done with just making sure he is doing some form of cardio as well. The New Rules of Lifting is a good program as midwife suggested. I took a weight lifting class in high school as well but I know schools are different.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I read somewhere that teenagers should not lift heavy because their bones are not fully developed yet... I'll find out more details about that tomorrow, at the moment I am going to bed
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I have only read that it is safe and very healthy for teenagers to lift.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a good article concerning teens and weight training. The fear is that teens, on their own, will overdo it trying to show off and injure themselves. I see this at the gym ALL the time, drives me ... Teens should definitely start slowly and listen to their bodies like the rest of us... I would highly recommend they have a PT show them the ropes in a gym...

Last edited by Ilene; 02-19-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It's true, they don't want swimmers lifting weights either until their growing has stopped because it can damage the growth plates in the bones. I would say that's about 15/16 for girls, not sure for boys. But I do remember them lifting in h.s., so maybe 16/17 for boys is ok.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

my husband didn't really stop growing until about age 20 (he's 6'5" now). he lifted a lot in high school. i think they were required to lift for basketball.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote