Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/267/172

Height: 5' 10"

Default Can I take the HNS on an airplane carry-on?

I started MRC 2 1/2 weeks ago. Because of a family illness I am needing to fly half way across the country. I will be gone from home 1 1/2 weeks. I ordered extra supplies so think I'm ok. My question is, can I take the HNS on the plane in my carry-on or does it need to be packed away in the suitcase. Thanks!
dbjajrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #2  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

Is the HNS the drink? (Im not on the diet, just looking into it) If so, then this is what TSA stipulates about liquids:

"3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure."

So basically if its more than 3 ounces (which is small) then you must put it in your checked luggage.

I hope this helps.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #3  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

It has come to my attention that the HNS is a powder? Here is what TSA says about food products:

"All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the above right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped."

If these are powders then it should be fine in your carry on as long as they are sealed. Still if you want to be safe, Checked luggage is best.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/seetracker/170

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjajrl View Post
I started MRC 2 1/2 weeks ago. Because of a family illness I am needing to fly half way across the country. I will be gone from home 1 1/2 weeks. I ordered extra supplies so think I'm ok. My question is, can I take the HNS on the plane in my carry-on or does it need to be packed away in the suitcase. Thanks!
Just had to share a funny story i have , not about airplaines, but HNS, i was going to an outdoor concert where outside food and drinks were not allowed unless they were sealed, I put one of the concentrates in my purse thinking i would buy a bottle of water and mix it there... Anyway at "security" they took my purse and pulled out my zip lock baggie of vitamins and the purple goo that was the grape HNS.. The stupid girl made such a big deal about what is this, and inspecting it, and even had her supervisor come look at it. I was so embarassed, but now that i look back at it, it was pretty funny. I was just glad they didn't make me throw it away or something cause those things are too expensive for that!
LauraSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/217/175

Height: 5'11"

What did anyone find out about this? I'm hoping to take the HNS thru the line but not wanting to throw it away if that's what they will do.
lv2ski2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/152

Height: 6'0"

I wouldn't risk it. If you did take it on, it would have to be placed in your 1 qt baggie. Even in the baggie, you risk someone from the TSA questioning if it's 3oz or less. The packets do not have oz measurements on it so if they are suspect, they toss it.

You can, however, take the dry HNS mixes with you. Just don't mix them with water until you are past security.
lcmaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/170/138

Height: 5'4

My girlfriend and I are both on MRC and she works for Alaska Airlines. We have flown together several times and take our HNS with us - power and liquid. We only take what we need for our trip and put the rest in our checked bags, but we have never had an issue. Mine was in my purse. No questions asked..... good luck!
mamajill is offline   Reply With Quote