100 lb. Club - Boils, boils, everywhere.

View Full Version : Boils, boils, everywhere.

evillynn33
02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
On one of the other threads I was reading I notice that the biggest complaint about being overweight is the boils that pop up everywhere and HURT!!:(

So I thought It would be nice to see how everyone deals with them and maybe we could help someone out there;)

As soon as I feel one coming on I use J/A/S/O/N cooling mineral gel with tea tree extract. And A Bandaid. As long as I catch the boil before it pops and change the bandaid once a day with more mineral gel on it. The boil usually goes away without bursting.:dizzy: Hope this helps anyone:^:

PattiR
02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I had boils forever, I'm talking years. Finally realized that my diabetes and my lack of controlling it were the cause of these. Since I now have better control of this problem, for the last 2 years I no longer get these.
Mine would be so big (sometimes golf ball size) and I could feel no relief until they burst.

nelie
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure that boils are a result of being overweight. I had my first boil a couple years ago and I recently felt a lump on my back and had my husband look at it because I thought it was a pimple. Its not red or anything but he said he thinks its a boil similar to the other one I had a couple years ago.

It may be that for some reason your body creates them easily.

kaplods
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Boils are usually caused by a staph infection of a hair follicle (a small cut or scratch may be the point of entry for the staph bacteria). Obesity can increase the risk of many skin infections (but does not cause them) for several reasons. Just having more skin, and the special problem of more skin friction. Skin rubbing together and moisture being trapped in skin folds can increase both the likelihood of skin damage (the moisture allows the bacteria to grow and the rubbing causes the break in the skin that allows the staph in to create the infection). Also, your immune system plays a role, as staph is on nearly everyone's skin and in their nose. Some people's body's may be better able to fight off staph than others.

The answer is in preventing both the bacterial growth and the chafing.

An antibacterial soap, frequent bathing, especially of skin fold areas, and careful drying are essential.

Thighs Be Gone
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I used to get the occasional one on top of the stretch marks on my hips. I haven't had one lately and mind were tiny--like the size of a 1/2 a dime. But man, they can hurt! :(

mags
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I have rosacea, and I sometimes get them on my face when I use certain cosmetics/skin care products. (Oddly, my skin has reacted the most violently to a couple of products that are marketed for sensitive, rosacea-prone skin. Go figure.)

I never knew that boils are caused by obesity.

kaplods
02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Obesity doesn't cause boils, a staph infection does. Staph is on the surface of almost everyone's skin, so anyone can get a boil. If you're prone to them, the key to preventing them is keeping the skin as clean and dry as possible.

A zinc oxide cream can help prevent skin infections in areas where you're prone to them (zinc kills fungi and bacteria). Zinc oxide can be bought at Walgreen's both as a diaper rash cream and as a generic "skin protectant" near the first aid creams. They're the same cream, just in a different box. Because zinc oxide creams are usually so thick and difficult to wash off your hands, I by the Johnson's zinc oxide diaper rash cream from Walmart (it's in a blue tube and says 3 in 1 formula). It isn't greasy and is more like a regular lotion. It also isn't as white, so if I use it on my face, I don't look like the world's fattest lifeguard or a circus clown. My dermatologist recommended it for a seb dermatitis rash I was getting as an indirect result of my autoimmune disease, and I love the stuff. At the first sign of any skin issue, from a small pimple to my rosacea to thigh chafing or under boob rash, I use this stuff and it works great. My skin is so much clearer than it's ever been (that and using Head and Shoulders with zinc pyrithione as a face and body wash - also a tip from my dermatologist. Zinc is my new best friend.

Trazey34
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
what the f???? LOL i've been fat for a longggggg time and I've never had a boil, what is it exactly??? oh wait - do you mean those zits on your face that are just big and red and sore but don't ever turn into anything? they just fade away? is it on your face or somewhere else? is that tmi??? i'm curious! maybe it's one of those things a person can be prone to, with or without being fat??

kaplods
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
If your stomach can handle it, there are actually youtube vidoes of boils (all on skinny men, interestingly enough). They're bigger than any zit (like comparing a bengal tiger to a house cat kitten) , and they're deeper under the skin. A small boil is about the size of a marble, but they can get walnut sized and even bigger (although technically it then becomes a carbuncle, I believe).

And they can occur anywhere on the body that hair follicles exist, which is pretty much everywhere except the palms of your hand or soles of your feet.

valpal23
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
trazy - I think what you're taking about is cystic acne. the 'underground' red sore bumps that come and never form anything. I use neostrata gycolic acid toner OR neosporin and a circle bandaid over top of it while I sleep. it's the only two things I've found to control the redness from getting worse.

as for boils.. never had. My diabetic mother does get them occasionally.

bargoo
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Boils are very painful. I last had one when I was 12 or 13 right on my butt my mother put a hot compress on it, as soon as that heat touched it I fainted dead away.

Trazey34
02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
yoikes these sound horrifying!!! I haven't had a zit in years since i switched makeup actually (plug for Pur Minerals!! yay!) I don't think I'm brave enough for youtube video tho LOL

kaplods
02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I was pretty horrified when I googled boils and youtube came up in the search. Morbid curiosity got the better of me and I looked (and I do regret it).

saef
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I haven't suffered from a boil in about five years now, but I've had them three times, in roughly the same place: Right on my butt, right at the top of the crack. I found a more elegant name for them -- a pilonidal cyst. Apparently soldiers sitting in jeeps for extended periods of time used to get them frequently. They'd start with an irritated feeling, as though I'd scratched myself up there, and within a few days, they'd swell, and yes, it was a lot like a pimple, though far more painful. They pressed right into my tailbone, so sitting was extremely painful for me. Sitting on a hot washcloth in a really hot bathtub helped a bit.

The stench when they finally open up is memorable. If you smell it once, you will never forget it. Also, keep gauze & antibiotics on hand to keep it clean, because it's highly infectious & can spread elsewhere.

I felt shamefully alone with my affliction till I read David Sedaris, a fellow sufferer.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/11/29/041129fa_fact1

iminhere
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
a friend of mine had a boil inside her hoohoo....I never understood why she told me.

Daimere
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
My boyfriend tends to get them in his...nether regions. He has a huge one a bit bigger than the size of a marble. He usually doesn't let me touch his acne but he let me touch this one. For two days, I'd pop it and it wouldn't get better. It also popped on my face. I've never really had this problem though. He thinks alcohol will make them better but I just threw at him my nuetragina body wash I don't ever use.

FB
02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I was pretty horrified when I googled boils and youtube came up in the search. Morbid curiosity got the better of me and I looked (and I do regret it).

Ah, kaplods - I've done that countless times and have regretted it - letting my morbid curiosity get the best of me! :lol: I wish you lived closer, I often read something wacked you type and decide you're my evil twin in the world - I'd so love to take you out for coffee and laughs.

When I was heavier I endured terrible awful bumps on my inner thighs. They were so painful! I don't know whether or not they were boils, but thankfully it doesn't happen anymore. I don't think it's a coincidence that I never experienced it before being overweight or after I got the weight off, in my case it HAD to be weight related.

iminhere
02-16-2009, 08:09 PM

HA! new weight loss approach...watch "boils" on youtube before every meal!

kaplods
02-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Ah, kaplods - I've done that countless times and have regretted it - letting my morbid curiosity get the best of me! :lol: I wish you lived closer, I often read something wacked you type and decide you're my evil twin in the world - I'd so love to take you out for coffee and laughs.

I LOVE the idea of being someone's evin twin!! My hubby is the one who LOOKS antisocial, all Mr. Biker-viking, but he's so mellow and down-right conservative on the inside. My twistedness is all on the inside (I would get tattoos, but I'm waiting until I lose a lot more of the weight - I don't want them to twist and distort like they're on silly putty as I'm losing weight). His mom LOVED me when she met me, because I looked very conservative and had a responsible job (when we met before I got sick), and she thought I was going to turn hubby into Mr. Shirt-and-tie. She was very disappointed that I didn't MAKE him cut his hair for our wedding. She was expecting me to "fix" him, and I think she thinks that instead he broke me, not knowing I was pretty bent before he met me.

You can't tell it in the picture, but hubby had a ponytail that was so long it reached his belt buckle. It's several inches shorter now, not because he cut it, but because his hair started breaking off a bit at the ends. I keep telling him he needs to use a better conditioner, but he says he keeps his hair in a ponytail because he doesn't want to fuss with it, so he's not going to "fuss" with a conditioner.

kaplods
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
HA! new weight loss approach...watch "boils" on youtube before every meal!

I have to agree with you there, and I have a crazy strong stomach for most gross medical stuff. My dad was a volunteer EMT and we would go to the volunteer ambulance service picnic and the guys and ladies on the squad would spend the whole time talking about the calls they were on. The Youtube stills didn't bother me, but the video added a whole new dimension to the Ginormous gross factor.

On a side note though, I have absolutely no tolerance for blood, injury, or trauma when it's someone close to me, or a child. My youngest sister, when she was 3 (I was 19) bit through her tongue when she slipped and hit her chin on the table, and I passed out COLD. I started college as a nursing major, and in researching pediatric burns for a paper, I almost passed out in the library (shortly after, I switched majors from nursing to psychology).

SwimGirl
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Hmm, I also haven't had a boil. Sounds extremely unpleasant.. and I am definitely not checking that video out! I don't have a weak stomach, but I'm pretty sure I can live my life without seeing that! LOL.

My poor bf get cystic acne, soo painful! I pop it, and use alcohol on it to dry it out, it's the only thing that seems to work. He's also got super sensitive skin, luckily he's had some results with Avene's acne line!

-Aimee

TempleBody
02-17-2009, 02:16 AM
That Old Faithful article was hilarious.

I've had boils since I was about 13 years old. I 've had them on my underarms, sides, bikini lines, ***, inner thigh. ...never had one on my face thank God! They've always been small. I'm just really really prone to ingrown hairs and while most times they don't get infected...other times they do.

They're more embarrassing to me then painful. I have several scars from these things. Sighs. That's life though.

mandalinn82
02-17-2009, 02:45 AM
I had a pilonidal cyst, too, and I also felt a great connection with David Sedaris reading that section...

Most painful medical experience of my life, most definitely. I was in finals at the time and was studying with icepacks on my behind.

lalique
02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
I use Physohex (spelling?) soap - prescribed by my doctor, in all the areas where they usually show up.

I know this sounds crazy, but using bacitracian (again, spelling?!) in my nose every day helps!! My doctor told me to do that, and it works!

kaplods
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I use Physohex (spelling?) soap - prescribed by my doctor, in all the areas where they usually show up.

I know this sounds crazy, but using bacitracian (again, spelling?!) in my nose every day helps!! My doctor told me to do that, and it works!

Not crazy at all, since the highest concentraction of staph bacteria is in the nose, if you can stop it at the source, it can help prevent spreading the bacteria to other parts of the body.

recidivist
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Boils can be a symptom of diabetes, poor nutrition, poor hygiene, or poor immune system. If you get them often, you should see your doctor. They are not cysts. A tailbone cyst (polinoidal cyst) is not a boil.

Cystic acne is a sebaceous cyst and is not a boil.

recidivist
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I felt shamefully alone with my affliction till I read David Sedaris, a fellow sufferer.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/11/29/041129fa_fact1

Saef, thanks for this link...it was so much fun to read. :D

I too have had a polynoidal cyst...and I can only tell you one thing worse than the cyst itself, and that is the surgery to have it removed. They had to give me valium before starting and then had to stop in the middle of it and cover me with warmed blankets and give me more valium, or strap me down to the table like a deranged psycho...I was so humiliated I could not stop shaking.

xJox
02-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Ive never really had a boil. My dad said he use to get them really bad, and someone told him to eat a certain kind of berry ( a wild one- cant remember the name- nor am I a Dr) and after he ate those berries the never had another.

iminhere
02-18-2009, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't have thought this thread would be so popular...

hmmm....

FB
02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I LOVE the idea of being someone's evin twin!! My hubby is the one who LOOKS antisocial, all Mr. Biker-viking, but he's so mellow and down-right conservative on the inside. My twistedness is all on the inside (I would get tattoos, but I'm waiting until I lose a lot more of the weight - I don't want them to twist and distort like they're on silly putty as I'm losing weight). His mom LOVED me when she met me, because I looked very conservative and had a responsible job (when we met before I got sick), and she thought I was going to turn hubby into Mr. Shirt-and-tie. She was very disappointed that I didn't MAKE him cut his hair for our wedding. She was expecting me to "fix" him, and I think she thinks that instead he broke me, not knowing I was pretty bent before he met me.

You can't tell it in the picture, but hubby had a ponytail that was so long it reached his belt buckle. It's several inches shorter now, not because he cut it, but because his hair started breaking off a bit at the ends. I keep telling him he needs to use a better conditioner, but he says he keeps his hair in a ponytail because he doesn't want to fuss with it, so he's not going to "fuss" with a conditioner.

Glad you're cool with being an evil twin! I've been wanting to tell you for some time, but wasn't sure how it would come across. I think of you every time I use my GPS - I want to mail it to you so you can geocache again. Did you find your old one yet?

Ah, I'm the 'rough' looking one in my marriage. My husband was a clean cut Ralph Lauren type while I had the tattoos and interesting hairstyles and clothes. We were a total mismatch! My mother claims that I've dirtied him up.

I do remember you saying your viking husband had a ponytail. Hmm he needs to keep it in good shape, on the conditioner, perhaps trick him and mix decent conditioner into his shampoo? There are also good inexpensive little rubber bands (clear plastic) that claim to reduce breakage. They worked incredibly well for me when I had longer hair. They were sold at Walgreens for under two dollars. They look very small (almost like bands for braids or cornrows) but stretch incredibly well and can hold a lot of hair.

kaplods
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Haven't found the gps yet, but I've asked for a new on for my birthday. If I don't get it, I'm buying it for myself when I've lost 71 lbs (breaking my all time weight loss record for pounds lost).

Hubby has those good hair bands, but did you know that you can't mix conditioner and shampoo to make a 2 in 1. Instead, they cancel each other out (at least that's what I read in a hair magazine). The 2 in 1 shampoos condition in a different way than seperate shampoo and conditioner.

FB
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh, very interesting to know! My husband conditioner trick is not working then. He doesn't have much hair anyhow - but still, the little bit left should be pretty.

Bee20nine
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Saef: I had one of those in the exact same area, though I have never been a solider and its been years since I rode in a jeep. God that thing was the most painful thing I have experienced, I couldn't sit up, sit down, stand up, lay down every movement hurt like I was getting shot in the butt by an elephant gun. I went to the doctor and they had to lance it open and drain it, even my doctor was like "this is the largest cyst I have seen in my practice, ever. At least you will have a cool story to tell." I was like geeeee thanks. I had to have it packed in with cotton or something and have it changed so that way the skin would grow back in and not have a 3rd hole in my butt LOL.