Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Default Daily Caloric Intake Question

Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out the daily caloric intake that I should be having because I think what I've been doing is too restrictive and is causing me to rebel with weekend binging.

I've done about 7 online calculators, all taking in my height, weight, age, and exercise level. Then I averaged all the numbers which were all pretty close (no big discrepancies). According to these calculations, the daily maintenance level of calories for me is around 2000, which makes my weight loss calorie level around 1500.

Although this doesn't sound outrageous to me, I've been doing more of a calorie level of around 1300 a day. I'm now wondering if that's the reason why I can't seem to get away from binging on the weekends. I'm a little afraid to eat a higher calorie level, though. Any thoughts?

By the way, the food I'm eating is all very healthy - whole grains, beans, lots of veggies and fruits. So It's not like I'm eating 1300 calories of junk food (except probably on the weekends )

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Tam, we need more info to give you advice.
What is your height, weight and current age. Also, your activity level would be helpful.

And - you have a key to your answer in your post "except probably on the weekends".
It is amazing what junk food can do to derail our progress!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #3  
cass

S/C/G: 167/ticker/90

Height: 5'2

1300 is not excessive caloric restriction

are you exercising at all?
IcassiopeiaI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Why not try the 1500 calories? You'll know in a month whether it's working or not. If you aren't doing any exercise, add that in--something simple like walking for 20 minutes is an easy way to start. And, stop going off plan on the weekends. You may find it easier to stay with your calorie level on weekends if you're eating more.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote