Old 02-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/181/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Candy Bars

I've been doing good with my calories and my weight loss. So far I've been losing about 1.5-2 lbs a week.

I've changed my eating and eat whole foods now on most days. I don't eat junk foods like chips, cookies etc. except on rare occasions. However, I do have one junk food that I have been sneaking into my diet more and that is candy bars. Snickers, Kit Kat, Hershey's-I love them all! I think I've had a candy bar three days this week. I still stay in my calories but I do feel bad about eating candy so often. I'm not sure what to do about it.
FaithBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you are staying within your calories, I'm not sure having a candy bar a few times per week is really that much of a problem. You probably don't want to have one every day, since those are just empty calories, but a few times per week probably isn't the end of the world.

But, if I were in your shoes, and I did really want to cut back on the candy bars I eat, I wouldn't try to give them up altogether. Instead, I would allow myself one candy bar per week. And I could only have that one candy bar if I stayed on plan the rest of the week. I would also make that one candy bar special--not just something I wolf down as fast as I can. I'd save it for a time when I could set everything else aside and focus on enjoying my candy bar. I'd probably make a cup of tea or coffee to go with and enjoy it while reading a book or my favorite magazine. So it would become my special ritual, something that I would look forward to all week, and I'd only get to do it if I didn't eat off plan the entire rest of the week (which would mean no candy bars the rest of the week).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Just to name one, a Snickers bar isn't the worst thing you can eat. 280 calories--but 14 g fat, 35 g carbs, and only 4 g protein.

What about substituting a different kind of snack bar? For example, a South Beach Living High Protein bar, chocolate flavor, has 140 calories, 5 g fat, 15 g carbs, and 10 g protein.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/195/140

Height: 5'6''

They make 100 calorie candy bars now, in the 100 calorie section of all supermarkets. Probably with the cracker/cookie aisle. Never had them, but they look good. I believe they come in 3 musketeer, milky way, and a couple others.

ONE FOR EACH 5 LBS LOST!!!

em30001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try reserving the candy bars for once a week and substituting fruit or protein bars for them instead. I usually eat the candy bars in the evenings when I tally up my calories for the day. I just think "oh, well I have calories to spare." I'll try to eat an apple when I have those calories to spare. I really like the idea of the one bar for each 5 lbs lost.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #6  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

MMMM candy bars.. I would also suggest get the 100 calorie packs of the candy bars they make twix ,m&m, milky way, and some others I think! and definitely reserve it for maybe a once a week treat! some thign I have found that is great is Special K bars the vanilla ones are sooo good, and the chocolate drizzle ones they taste kinda liek candy bars to me and also the 90 calorie granola bars..

Also I know a lot of calorie counters who eat chocolate every day! and dark chocolate is considered to have good antioxidants for you!! maybe get a bag of those mini candys or kisses in dark chocolate and let your self have 2-4 of those a day it might make the cravings to eat a whole bar less!

Last edited by mariamherrera; 02-15-2009 at 12:47 PM.
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamherrera View Post
Also I know a lot of calorie counters who eat chocolate every day! and dark chocolate is considered to have good antioxidants for you!! maybe get a bag of those mini candys or kisses in dark chocolate and let your self have 2-4 of those a day it might make the cravings to eat a whole bar less!
My mom was also suggesting that to me although she was suggesting because it was that TOM. She always suggests chocolate when it's TOM. I was looking at the Sonoma diet board here and saw that dark chocolate is part of their diet too. Must be something to dark chocolate! Next time I go shopping, I'll get a little box and reserve them for the weekend.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I use the 100 calorie Balance Bars when I get those cravings. They are great, protein packed and satisfy me really well.
The Chocolate Caramel Crisp are my favorite

I also buy dark chocolate and break it into small squares. The 70% bars are the best!

Last edited by CountingDown; 02-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/122/115

Height: 5'6"

I eat fun-size candy bars all the time. Most of them are about 80-100 calories, and are still enough to get my candy fix. One piece of advice from a candy lover, though, is to limit yourself to buying the ten packs rather than a big bag. I can tell you from experience that that can end badly. And, I normally just pack one to take with me for lunch so that I'm not tempted to eat another immediately after the first. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Like another poster said, some candy bars aren't the worst things for your health. I would recommend hershey's dark chocolate bars, which are 180 calories, as dark chocolate is pretty good in moderation.
ellabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #10  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I like the Ghirardeli 60% cacao dark chocolate squares when I need a candy fix. Only 55 cal per square and they really do cure a craving!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #11  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Aren't Three Musketeer's bars fat free? Heck yeah!

My sister eats a tablespoon of mini dark chocolate chips every now and again when she needs a fix. Keeps 'em in the freezer for that purpose.

Severely cutting back candy consumption has saved me some money, too. When my sister and I were roommates, we used to go through a bag or two of chocolates every week, and it was even an item on the grocery list, along with a case of beer and big bags of chips and tubs of sourcream dip...

I'm making myself sick right now. I think I figured out where the last twenty pounds sneaked in from.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #12  

I love the dark chocolate DOVE bars, they are only 190 calories per bar and I usually have one 3 times a week. Since dark chocolate is good for you, i dont feel guilty about it especially since I chose a healthy alternative
Wayless09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

Height: 5'8"

I don't have much advise for you since well, I probably have had 3 hershey bars this week myself. I can't give up plain milk chocolate, I can't! It's a must be able to have some if I crave it thing. There is no substitute either it doesn't work for me. I usually have at least one chocolate bar a week sometimes I don't have any and then weeks like this last one I have had 3. It doesn't bother me and hasn't hindered my progress yet and I always make sure I have the calories to spare for it.
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote