Weight Loss Support - Will someone help me

View Full Version : Will someone help me

recidivist
02-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Eat a cheesecake! :devil:

I cleaned my freezer and fridge and found some items that needed to be used up, and the only thing I could think of using them for all at once was a cheesecake. So I made one yesterday. :o

Anyway...I was so proud of myself, because I didn't lick a single beater or spatula or bowl, and the whole thing is sitting on my counter now, waiting to be sliced and frozen. I have to decide if I want 12 slices at 280 calories each, or 16 at 210 each. The slices are pretty tiny at 16, so I may go with 12. I won't have a piece every day, just now and then as a special treat.

Please tell me you've done something like this and not scarfed the whole thing down once you started eating it. I'm kind of afraid to have the first slice. Cheesecake is one of my weaknesses.

CountingDown
02-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Got a neighbor that could benefit from a Valentine's Cheesecake? Or Co-workers?
Slice it in 12s, freeze one or two pieces for yourself, and get rid of the rest!

Cie
02-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I did the same except for my birthday. I love cheesecake but love being thin more so froze it into pieces and ate them gradually over a couple of months. This was during my losing phase so it taught me that food was delicious but can be left alone and that I did not need to fear my self. Only you know how vulnerable you are to binges and can make a good decision. :devil:

Jeannette311
02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Why not make them into bite size cubes and freeze them? Then you can have two everyday!

recidivist
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
mn,jhjjhgfutlp59qq

WOOOPS...VACUUMING MY KEYBOARD! :D

Sofia
02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Why not make them into bite size cubes and freeze them? Then you can have two everyday!

It's a good idea. Follow it and you can have you fav foods everyday .:carrot:

Glory87
02-15-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm no help - I would have to get rid of it immediately! Gift or trash. I love the idea of freezing into yummy single serve snack portions. That's genius. You could have it with a little chocolate one night, a little caramel another night, a little fruit compote...a different cheesecake dessert each time!

recidivist
02-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I had my first slice last night, and it's so soft I don't know if I can successfully freeze it without just scooping it into tubs like icecream. I didn't really follow a recipe...I modified it to use what I had and messed up by adding yogurt in place of sour cream, when the sour cream was supposed to be a topping, not mixed into the cake. But it is delicious and light and fluffy (not a heavy dense cheesecake). The best part was that it was so filling, I didn't even want more than one slice...I was so satiated. In my binge mode, I could have eaten half the cake or more in one day. :( Normally at the end of the day now, I'm not hungry, but I'm not feeling "full" either. Last night I felt full for the first time in months. Just from one small slice of dessert after my normal meal.

I don't want to eat it every day, as I don't want my body to get used to expecting fat and sugar treats every day. But I'm really relieved to know I'm not all that tempted to eat the whole thing. My need to binge is really under control right now...and it seems the more control I use every day, the more I have, as I am so encouraged by being so empowered.

I do need to get it into the freezer today though...every time I open the fridge it's staring me in the face and taunting me. :drool:

Glory87
02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Pitch it.

kelly315
02-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Ahh! Give it away!!! Throw it away!!! If you're anything like me, that one piece "as a special treat" will turn into several pieces as a meal each day. Cheesecake is dangerous, because it ends up making you more hungry afterward, and is high in calories.

recidivist
02-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Nope...Glory, the good part is that I don't need to pitch it. I get to enjoy it because I am in control. :encore:

tkm256
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Good for you, recidivist! I vote for 16 slices, but bulk the slices up with strawberries/blueberries/raspberries so it feels like a big treat for relatively little. We don't have to be perfect all the time ;)

Sometimes I make a little pan of "brownies" with very little sugar and very bitter chocolate. Tiny slices of it go a long way with frozen fat free cool whip and microwaved strawberries. Yummy.

Lori Bell
02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Cheese cake is one of my true weaknesses, especially the rich baked ones with a cookie or graham cracker crust...24 oz. cream cheese, 4 eggs...oh the thought of it makes me weak...LOL There is no way I can stay away from one. The only time I can make one is if I'm having a dinner party or holiday meal where I know that the majority of it will be eaten and/or sent home with guests.

You are one tough cookie if you can live "on plan" knowing there are 11 slices of cheese cake in your freezer! ;)

flatiron
02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I am one of the ones that would have to pitch it or gift it. I mean why put yourself through the extra stress of figuring out what to do with something that is so calorie laden? LOL!

ESPECIALLY since you have been doing so great on your diet so far?

You have done great so far, lost 26 and have 58 more to lose... you are smack dab in the middle of the game! Is now the time to start compromising?

I may be wrong but I get the feeling that you already had a mind to keep the cheese cake and eat the whole thing before you posted.

What are you looking for? Support or permission to eat it? :D

Toss it ... you don't need it!

Or eat it and it'll just take you that much longer to lose the remaning weight you want to lose.

AND... if I lived next door to you I would happily volunteer to eat one slice to help you get rid of it because I LOVE cheesecake especially with graham cracker crust! MMMMMMMM

mayness
02-15-2009, 06:26 PM
I had my first slice last night, and it's so soft I don't know if I can successfully freeze it without just scooping it into tubs like icecream.

If you really wanted slices, maybe you could freeze it whole (in its current pan/container), then slice it up and repackage it?

It sounds really yummy :drool: and that's so great that you have such control in this situation!

recidivist
02-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Flatiron, I knew I was going to keep it, or I would not have made it (except if I started binging I was going to toss it)...I was just playing a bit with this post, but was truly a little nervous about my control after digging into it. I'm pleasantly surprised that it's really not tempting me at all. I have a lot of other food here I could binge out on too (chocolate, cheese, nuts), and I'm not. Those are also things that are allowed in my current diet in moderation.

I won't gain weight from a slice of cheesecake now and then; nor will it take longer to lose weight because of it, because it's a treat, not something to binge on, or eat every day. When I have a slice, it will be part of my daily calorie count. So I don't want to replace good food with cheese cake every day...thus the freezing.

I have been listening to a lot of people talk here of making sure you never have anything bad in the house to tempt you (good advice when you are having trouble controlling your snacking), and never eating food like this again, but if I thought I'd never be able to have a slice of cheese cake or pizza again, I'd probably quit my diet. I don't believe that its' wrong to eat rich or decadent food, only to make it a habit, or over-indulge in it. And part of my goal in learning how to do this eating right thing, is learning control so I can eat anything in moderation and not feel deprived or punished. When I start obsessing on something that is not "allowed", I might eventually decide to have a little bit. And if I tell myself I'm a failure because I had a little bit of something wrong, then I might as well throw the whole diet out the window because I'm a failure, and go ahead and eat the rest of it. I'd rather say it's OK to have a treat now and then and not become obsessed with it. I think the part about not being able to stop eating it, is when you are eating foods like that all the time and your body is craving them because it's not functioning right...as it can't when you aren't feeding it properly. When you are in addiction mode.

It's better for me to learn how to limit my consumption, and still enjoy the things I love now and then. And this cheesecake was sort of a test for me, because three months ago I had no control, and now, obviously, I do. But three months ago, my diet was carp and now it's healthy, and I've purged all those food addictions that had my system screwed up.

That doesn't mean I'm going to fill my house with bad food again. Nope...only an occassional treat now and then. And I spent a lot of time right now focusing on learning more about healthy eating, and learning more about binging and what causes it and how to control it. I need to stay focused on that for life. It's starting to feel complacent and like it's nothing to worry about that messed me up last time. This forum is teaching me (from a lot of you who have gone through this, and failed, and gone through this and succeeded) that this will have to be a life-long endeavor. Not something I can just do for awhile and then get lazy.

I thank all of you for all the tips and knowledge and sharing. I'm learning so much from all of you.

mayness, I am going to have to rearrange my freezer to fit it in that way, but you're right...I think that's what I'll do.

Pandora123a
02-16-2009, 08:19 AM
recidivist,

Good luck. I completely agree with you about your plan, I'm just a little more skeptical about your control. My own experience is that I would be in control for a day or so, but eventually a large chunk of that cheesecake is going to get eaten in a lump.

I also have foods around that I "could" binge on. Every now and then I have...and once I do that food is tossed and I try not to bring in more than a single portion for a long time.

Cheesecake is one of those for me as well. My cheesecakes are very popular. For a party recently I made both a plain and a chocolate. I ended up tossing parts of both...they were fine in my fridge for a day (so DH could enjoy) but by day three I had a large chunk with whipped cream...and halfway through needed to put them down the disposal.

For me the "treat" was eating them at the dinner party for which they were made...it was the remainder that I couldn't cope with! Long term control is harder.

You know your trigger foods and yourself. I hope this works exactly as you have planned, that would be terrific. Just have a backup plan.

PleaseLuise
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I won't have a piece every day, just now and then as a special treat.

Here's my question, is food the best way to "treat" yourself? What a treat to bless another with your culinary skills, OR to let it go to waste in the trash rather than on your hips. It may sound harsh, but cheesecake is NOT the best way to treat yourself (pun intended)!

I bet a phone call to a good friend or a trip to the WalMart for some new makeup (all quick and inexpensive) can do the trick! You are worth a better treat than what is in your freezer!

Stepping down from the soapbox now...

Lori Bell
02-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I won't have a piece every day, just now and then as a special treat.

Here's my question, is food the best way to "treat" yourself? What a treat to bless another with your culinary skills, OR to let it go to waste in the trash rather than on your hips. It may sound harsh, but cheesecake is NOT the best way to treat yourself (pun intended)!

I bet a phone call to a good friend or a trip to the WalMart for some new makeup (all quick and inexpensive) can do the trick! You are worth a better treat than what is in your freezer!

Stepping down from the soapbox now...

I SOOOOOOO totally agree with you. A special treat for me is not food, it's something girly, something fun. Not something that got me to the place I was in, but something that helps get me out.

I think it's great the OP has so much will power, but for me it almost seems like a punishment or a test, not a "special treat". Kind of like taking a recovering alcoholic to a wine tasting party.

midwife
02-16-2009, 10:22 AM
More power to you, recid. I'd being eating it a little at a time until the whole thing was gone.....

JulieJ08
02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I think it's wise to respect the power of setting yourself up to fail. But I also think it's sad that your plan is so incomprehensible to many. Last year I bought a tub of Triple Ginger Snaps from Trader Joe's. I ate a few after dinner when I felt like it. It was a bit of an experiment, obviously not one I would have done at the beginning, but it felt like it was time. And I did just fine. I enjoyed it. It did not feel like punishment or a test. It felt like the opposite.

JayEll
02-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Experiment! Enjoy! Time will tell whether it worked the way you expected, recidivist.

At first some foods could not be in my house--these days, they can be, as long as I'm really careful about it.

Oh, in my book, no food is labeled "never again." How unrealistic! But some foods were and are labeled "not right now." And a lot of foods are just foods i don't want to eat any more... my tastes have changed.

Luckily for me, I never was a big fan of cheesecake, so that wouldn't be a problem. :lol: But I have other foods that would be very tempting...

Jay

midwife
02-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I think it's wise to respect the power of setting yourself up to fail. But I also think it's sad that your plan is so incomprehensible to many. Last year I bought a tub of Triple Ginger Snaps from Trader Joe's. I ate a few after dinner when I felt like it. It was a bit of an experiment, obviously not one I would have done at the beginning, but it felt like it was time. And I did just fine. I enjoyed it. It did not feel like punishment or a test. It felt like the opposite.

I'm not sure her plan is incomprehensible. What I read was how other people might respond to a similar situation and the safeguards they would take for themselves.

I'm not a person who would never eat "x" again. I'm all for a piece of cheesecake now and then, and I could actually live with having one in the house temporarily if other people in the family were eating it....but FOR ME, to have an entire cheesecake in the freezer with no plans for it other than for me to eat it, well that would not be great. I could afford the calories, and probably rather often, but it would sit in my brain, I would wrestle with it, and when I chose to eat it, I might be fine with it or I might regret it, and it is better for me to remove that possibility from my life.

For example, there is a birthday cake sitting in my kitchen right now. I won't have any today. I'm strong and in control and I'm not worried about it. Wednesday it is going in the trash.....not the freezer. For me, it's like a bandaid---just get it over with. If before then I find myself taking a fork to it and grabbing bites as I walk by, its gone sooner. Not cause the calories will kill me, but because I am not interested in feeling out of control.

In the OP, recid expressed concern about her ability to stay in control. Sounds like she can. Which is GREAT! But for me, in my experience, somedays I have great control and somedays I don't. So I've learned what safeguards are necessary to keep me feeling good about my behaviors and my goals. Truly a personal journey.

saef
02-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Like others here, my control can be fragile. My feeling of being completely in control would last until I had a really, really difficult day at the office & drove home thinking that night, "I feel so awful. I **deserve** to treat myself. I **deserve** to be compensated for the kind of day I've had today." That's when the cheesecake would begin to haunt me.

I'm better off sharing a thin slice while out with friends at Junior's in the Theater District. That would help with the portion control & the sense of it being a special occasion, only indulged in a few times a year. It would also ensure that, if I were going to splurge, I'd have the best I could possibly find. The only thing I hate more than splurging too much is splurging unworthily, when I could have had something rarer & of better quality -- since, in my mind, that's what defines a splurge: It's rare & it's something I'm not going to see coming my way again anytime soon.

Any food that I find "taunting me" has to go. Your choice of words there is what had me a little concerned.

recidivist
02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
I do understand why so many of you are saying to pitch it. And believe me, I would if I felt it was going to obsess me, but I'm using it to teach myself (test myself) that I can have something in the house and not indulge in it, just because I get emotional or have a bad day. And my accountability was posting about it here to not "hide" it from anyone.

My biggest binge problem was actually brought up in another thread where I mentioned going to the store for a small treat, because there is nothing at home, telling myself I'd stay on plan, but knowing in my head I really was going for something off plan (lying to myself, just to get myself to the store so I could binge)...then getting to the store and feeling so guilty for giving in that I end up buying even more binge food than I was obsessing on, taking it home and devouring it all in one day. I've done that so many times when I was in binge mode.

One thing I've discovered, is that having all the foods I really like gone from my house makes me feel desperate and deprived and makes me obsess on them even more. It's funny...I can be craving something and overdo it when I finally break down and buy it, or I can have the same thing in the house for months and never touch it because I am not obsessing about it...because it's here and I could have some any time I wanted.

For me I think it's safer to have some of the foods here that I love and just have a little if I get a craving, then to think there is nothing here to satisify a craving and start obsessing on it. I just need to be careful to keep the kinds of foods around that "I can eat just one" of.

But I understand why so many of you would find this hard to do with cheesecake. I don't know if I could do this with potato chips, or a cooked pizza in the fridge. If I had pizza in the freezer and just took out one slice now and then, I'd be fine with it. Or tiny portioned bags of potato chips for an occasional treat (but I don't even want treats like chips or fries...they have no reeming food value). But a whole cooked pizza in the fridge, ready to grab and eat, might be too tempting. An open large bag of chips would be too tempting, but snack crackers are not. Salted nuts are too tempting, but unsalted are not. So I think it's sometimes good to have some treats in your house that are in a category you think you can control, and know which foods you can't control and not have them there...or have them there in a way that it's easy to just eat a little bit (like pre-portioned frozen).

I bought a turkey breast to roast the other day, because it was cheaper than buying deli turkey. I won't do that again, because when it came out of the oven, I discovered it had turkey skin on the outside of it (I didn't know it included skin when I bought it)...and that is one of my uncontrollable items...roast turkey skin. Of course I nibbled, and then ate all the skin at once. It wasn't a very big piece, thankfully, but if it had been, I'd have eaten it all. So I won't buy it that way again. I'll break down and pay more for deli turkey breast.

grabec
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
It is so important to my diet that I eat early. Eating late is the pits for me.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-pig/lb/188/135/180/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)